Games everyone should play

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Name off a few games you think everybody should play at least once. Maybe not your favorites exactly, but ones you think have something to offer regardless of somebody's prejudices against certain genres/developers. My personal favorite three games are Final Fantasy 6, Deus Ex, and Mother 3, but I think Deus Ex is definitely a game everyone should try out at least once. Earthbound for SNES is another one everyone should play and most people probably missed out on due to being in the shadow of Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6. It invokes a certain nostalgia whenever I play it and makes me wish that when I younger I would've had a chance to explore unknown places like Ness and his friends did. Oh, and another great game everyone should play is Full Throttle for PC, an adventure game by Lucas Arts about a biker trying to save his gang. What's your guy's input on these games, and what games would you add to the list?

Sorry if my rambling format causes your brain to faze in and out of focus while you're reading :troll:.
Also, if you haven't played Deus Ex, get it now, and if you have, REINSTALL LIKE THE MOTHER FUCKING FIST OF THE NORTH STAR!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Is this going to be like the Guiness Book of World Record's BEST video games of all time thread?  :carcus: Or is this more to alert people to hidden gems of games that not many people have played? It's going to be a little arbitrary, because I think everyone should play ALL the games on my favorite games list ... but as for the relatively rare ones, I'd recommend:

Shadow of the Colossus
ICO
Seiken Densetu 3 (sequel to Secret of Mana)
Cave Story
Super Metroid (not rare, but it astounds me how few newer gamers have played it)
Monopoly Tycoon (ignore the title, it's an amazing game)
Puzzle Quest
Xenogears

Dar_Klink

You just reminded me to start Xenogears over again. The second disc I had was messed up and kept freezing in the first battle that comes after a 20 minute cut scene with no way to save. I also just recently bought ICO, Eternal Darkness, and Killer 7 from some video rental store for like 20 bucks, but I haven't got a chance to play ICO yet since I let a friend borrow my PS2 and haven't got it back yet.

Eversion: http://zarat.us/tra/offline-games/eversion.html

Looks cute at first, but it is a game of SCREAMING HORROR by the end. You could probably finish it in about a half hour of play.

A good analogy for the game... well, think of what the Beherit does as you play it, when a new Apostle is born. That's... actually a pretty accurate way to describe how... messed up OMGWHAT happens in the game. The cute lasts for maybe three levels, and the rest are... well, it's the only 2d game that gave me a sense of genuine fear, near the end there.

Edit: Plus, it's free.

Dar_Klink

Bekul said:
Eversion: http://zarat.us/tra/offline-games/eversion.html

Looks cute at first, but it is a game of SCREAMING HORROR by the end. You could probably finish it in about a half hour of play.

A good analogy for the game... well, think of what the Beherit does as you play it, when a new Apostle is born. That's... actually a pretty accurate way to describe how... messed up OMGWHAT happens in the game. The cute lasts for maybe three levels, and the rest are... well, it's the only 2d game that gave me a sense of genuine fear, near the end there.

Edit: Plus, it's free.

Another game like that one is Yume Nikki, although you don't really die in it, it's more of a creepy just walk around game, it's also free.
http://forum.vgcats.com/showthread.php?t=22965
Oh, and the Evidence series is good. I think it's called Missing Since January outside of the US. You play as a detective helping a serial killer case but the thing is you receive real time e-mails to your actual e-mail account and the game acts like you're a real person trying to figure out the case. It involves a lot of internet research to figure out the killer's puzzles and there are sites made just for the game that look like real websites.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Sam & Max Hit the Road :guts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yWnnk9fyJE&fmt=18

Though that's still kinda of a niche favorite, I think games like Shadow of the Colossus best fit this sort of question. Like Wally, that would be at the top of my list.

Update: Guitar Hero/Rock Band. Duh.

X

Xem

Xenogears, of course. If you missed this gem be ashamed. VERY ASHAMED !

Other than that...

Final Fantasy VI (3 in the US)

Super Smash Bros.

Golden Eye

Starcraft: Brood War (when playing against skilled players)

Counterstrike (again, when playing against skilled players)

Samurai Spirits

That's all for now... I'm hesitant to put games like Doom, Resident Evil, and Donkey Kong on the list, for even though they're amazing you could miss them and not be cheated out of a great gaming experience....

I do want to repeat Xenogears though... fucking amazing game. Period.

I tried to post some ones no one has ever heard of but had trouble anyways here:

-Super Mario RPG

-Espgaluda

-Final Fantasy V-VIII and X and excluding IX because it sucked I'm sorry.

-ALL Metal Gear games if not at least the solid ones.

-Rez

-MGO(I know someone will comment about this but I love it besides all of its imperfections)

-Berserk(DC+PS2 does this really need to be said?)

-Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 3

-DJMAX Technika(haven't played it yet but I will soon when I get to the location test check it out it looks awesome)

-Bemani games

-Darius Gaiden

-Ibara

list could go forever.....

X

Xem

ori said:
-Final Fantasy V-VIII and X and excluding IX because it sucked I'm sorry.

You confuse me. You liked X and VIII but hated IX? How is that possible? IX is literally the last FF game to include the official black mage, thief, white mage, blue mage...... the whole fuckin' game was an homage to the older FF games.... LITERALLY! Square-enix officially said it! How can u like X and VIII more? HOW?!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
That's a complicated topic. There are dozens if not hundreds of games that I think are a worthwhile experience. Yet I know that some people would disagree with me, and similarly I might not find someone's definitive gaming list all that great.

For example, despite my love for Berserk, I wouldn't say that the Berserk games are something everyone should play. For the most part they're only interesting if you're a fan of Berserk in the first place.

And I would list a game like DooM as a must play.

S

smoke

Star Wars Rogue Squadron: Rogue Leader for the Gamecube.

Honestly one of the most fun games I've ever played on any system, of any genre.

Although it has been mentioned numerous times, Xenogears gets another thumbs up from me.

However, in the vein of the topic at hand, I would want to recommend a few of the slightly less mainsteam titles:

Phoenix Wright (niche series, either you like it very much or you don't)
Shadow of Colossus (mentioned before, but deserves another)
Chrono Trigger (not exactly non-mainstream, but its surprising to hear tons of self-proclaimed hardcore rpgamers that have not played this)

I'll add more as I recall, I like this thread.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
zrexe said:
Chrono Trigger (not exactly non-mainstream, but its surprising to hear tons of self-proclaimed hardcore rpgamers that have not played this)

The game wasn't released in Europe back then, that might be why.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Medal of honor : Vanguard and Pacific Assault

Gradius III

Shadow of the Colossus

Onimusha : Warlords

Castlevania Symphony of the NIght

Driver

just some of the many that are on my list.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Alright I can already see where this is headed, so you know what? I recommend Jumping Flash!

V

vanheat

Two recent games for those with a wii. Two easy to find games. Bit.trip Beat, Madworld.

Deci said:
You confuse me. You liked X and VIII but hated IX? How is that possible? IX is literally the last FF game to include the official black mage, thief, white mage, blue mage...... the whole fuckin' game was an homage to the older FF games.... LITERALLY! Square-enix officially said it! How can u like X and VIII more? HOW?!

Simple because IX sucked and I liked those better. Everyone I know thinks this. It shouldn't really matter what Square said or not. If the game sucks it sucks. Whatever they say shouldn't make a game better or not.

I was introduced to FF through VII like most people. So after VII I was expecting future FFs to be similar world-setting wise. When I played VIII in definitely was a big change especially in the character design for all RPG's I think it was the 1st one to have realistic looking characters and the story wasn't like old school medieval FF. Also the Junction system which everyone complained about but I loved it. I think people just complained because they didn't get it and like VII the music was great so I liked it.(Music can make or break a game for me especially in an RPG I don't care what anyone says reason why XII sucked too.)

Don't get me wrong I like old school FF I did play V and VI. Haven't gotten around to playing the ones before that. V(from the anthology collection) had that medieval style that I guess you're a fan of. While I'm not a fan of that I still loved it somehow. As for VI, well it took place in a world similar to VII's so I liked that obviously.

I am pessimistic about XIII. Nobuo is only doing 1 song...Hironobu is gone.....Motomu from X-2 as director......etc.

Top Bottom