Games everyone should play

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
I hate how Kingdom Hearts 2 turned into Hit Triangle to Win. It also ruined the only cameos from FF6 and 9 by making them losers in some retarded boffing contest. Also, don't get me started on the fanbase, yaoi, horrible cosplay, and cheesy dialogue related to it... please don't get me started on it. :judo:

But, to move this thread forward, some more games to add since a lot of more mainstream stuff seems to be making it's way into here:
Persona series, all of them are good although it wasn't too popular outside of Japan until the more recent releases of 3 and 4 here in the states. The first two are basically Pokemon meets Shin Megami Tensei, and the 3rd and 4th add in a dating sim mechanic for leveling up your summons. If you have a strong aversion to animeish culture with all it's sans, kuns, sempeis, chans, and semi stereotypical character archetypes, then I advise you not to play 3 and 4 since it's chock full of all of that.
Professor Layton and the Curious Village is an awesome puzzle(edit: riddle would be a better word actually) game with a great art style and story.
No More Heroes is a great Wii game that is kinda like Mad World with it's ridiculous amount of violence and bad language. It also makes a reference to Duke Nukem: Forever.
Brave Fencer Musashi is kinda like Kirby for PS1
Drakengard for PS2 is a very awesome game that is seriously overlooked. It's characters and story are very dark and if I had to simplify it down to it's core, I'd say it's Berserk meets Eragon.
Chrono Cross was probably overlooked by a lot of people since it wasn't really Chrono Trigger 2. I think the story, music, and characters are very awesome, and I'd like to think there's another dimension out there where we're all sitting here in a Naruto forum discussing how we wish Sasuke was a real person, because then we might have friends, and by "like to think" I mean dread.

Also, lets try to keep the Pokemon, Mario, GTA, Guitar Hero, Final Fantasy, and all that toned down a bit since I don't think anybody has overlooked any of those titles :guts: but if you do think one was overlooked, by all means mention it. I'm sure there's still a few people who haven't played Final Fantasy Tactics, but I'm sure there's nobody on this site who hasn't heard of FFVII.

Oburi

All praise Grail
It's funny you mention Persona. My friend just went out and bought all those games for a small fortune. I've been watching him play them, very cool games. I wish I had a playstation just so I could I play them because they look very unique.

Dar_Klink

Oburi said:
It's funny you mention Persona. My friend just went out and bought all those games for a small fortune. I've been watching him play them, very cool games. I wish I had a playstation just so I could I play them because they look very unique.
Yeah, they are pretty fun, but the first one got what is probably the most butchered official translation ever. It's the total opposite of the third and fourth where they left in every honorific and Japanese cultural reference. They tried so hard to change it to fit a western audience that they changed the character portraits and even made one character black... yeah.
180px-InabaMasaop1.jpg

Masouusversion.jpg

I think those changes speak for themselves...
There were actually two parts to Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment, but Innocent Sin didn't get localized in the US due to the fact that Hitler was revived in it as a story point and there's apparently an option for a homosexual relationship somewhere in it. I'm playing a fan translated version of it right now on emulator and it's pretty good.
I haven't played most of the Shin Megami Tensei series, but Persona is a spinoff of it and I've heard their other games are really good as well. Especially Devil Summoner, Digital Devil Saga, and SMT: Nocturne. Most of them are pretty rare, but if you look hard enough you could probably find a few for sale at Gamestop for 30 dollars or less.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ori said:
I was introduced to FF through VII like most people.

Most people whose first gaming system was the Playstation then.

ori said:
When I played VIII in definitely was a big change especially in the character design for all RPG's I think it was the 1st one to have realistic looking characters and the story wasn't like old school medieval FF. Also the Junction system which everyone complained about but I loved it. I think people just complained because they didn't get it and like VII the music was great so I liked it.(Music can make or break a game for me especially in an RPG I don't care what anyone says reason why XII sucked too.)

Hahaha, nice thinking you got going there. "I don't like game X because it sucks, period. But I love game Y, and the people who don't just don't get it." Spare us that bullshit please. It's a matter of tastes and opinions, and yours aren't universal.

Dar_Klink

Aazealh said:
It's a matter of tastes and opinions, and yours aren't universal.
Heh, I had a strong urge to say a good Big Lebowski quote while reading his post... oh whatever here it goes: "Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Xenogears
Shadow of the Colossus
Metal Gear Solid
Castlevania 2
Mega Man 2
Actraiser
Out of this World (YES I SAID IT!)

Good topic!
I've been playing for almost 20 years,
so the first that came to my mind are:
-the whole Shining Force series (especially Shining Force III!)
-Phantasy Star III~IV MD(the PS III is one of my first RPG with Sword of Vermillion)
-All the Sega classics: Streets of Rage, Shinobi, Sonic...
-Landstalker MD
-Actraiser 1~2 SFC (Yuzo Koshiro, I love you!)
-Castlevania IV SFC
-Chrono Trigger SFC
-Bahamut Lagoon SFC
-Super Mario RPG SFC
-Princess Crown Sega Saturn
-Dragon Force I~II Sega Saturn
-Albert Odyssey Sega Saturn
-The Story of Thor 1~2 MD-Sega Saturn
-Shining Force III scenario 1~2~3 Sega Saturn
-Panzer Dragoon~Zwei~Saga~Orta Sega Saturn-Xbox
-Final Fantasy VI~VII SFC-PSX
-Xenogears PSX
-Castlevania:Symphony of the Night PSX
-Valkyrie Profile PSX
-Vagrant Story PSX
-Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne PS2
-Odin Sphere PS2

And so much more!

other than those already listed, one of the best strategy games I ever play came from Sega Mega Drive

Langrisser or Warsong

Langrisser2-1.png

warsong-2.png

lang1-gen.png

its sequel and later Der langrisser for the snes are awesome as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langrisser_II

DL game demo vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJmoEgSVS2o

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Pitt Fall and Duckhunt. I'd still play those games if I could. :judo:

Wanna play a round Bob ? :carcus:

sdc10594.jpg

I found this Super NIntendo games and the console on a recent shed cleaning. I thought I had lost them. I"m so relieved to have found them :guts: Like the thread says, you should play this.

sdc10595.jpg

Here I go.

-Shadow of the Colossus: That seems to be a favorite around these parts and rightfully so.
-Resident Evil 2: It was double disc goodness back in the day!
-Metal Gear (BUT if I was to choose only one, then Metal Gear Solid for ps1)
-Marvel vs Capcom
-AVP (the original game for PC)
avp1-aliens-vs-predator-pc-boxart.jpg

Was frickin' awesome! Sucked days from life.
-Grand Theft Auto IV
-Braid
-GoldenEye
-Doom
-Starfox 64
-Aladdin...what?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I find it funny that people would post Braid before Super Mario Bros, especially considering how the second is necessary in order to fully enjoy the first.

Aazealh said:
Most people whose first gaming system was the Playstation then.

Hahaha, nice thinking you got going there. "I don't like game X because it sucks, period. But I love game Y, and the people who don't just don't get it." Spare us that bullshit please. It's a matter of tastes and opinions, and yours aren't universal.

He asked me HOW I liked those games over IX....so I explained. Never said my opinion was universal. I'm pretty sure I was explaining how I did like medieval style FF but in IX the music and it's style didn't work for me in this case. What bullshit do you speak of? I wasn't trying to be a dick. Damn man.

Shenmue I & II
Grim Fandango
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Resident Evil 2 & 4
Resident Evil Remake (GC)
Silent Hill 2
Panzer Dragoon: Orta
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Super Mario 64
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time & Majora's Mask
Marvel vs Capcom 2

Oburi

All praise Grail
The Legacy of Kain games. Mainly for Soul Reaver and Soul Reaver2 and Defiance, which are like a trilogy because each game takes place right where the last one left off, unlike the Blood Omen games. Seriously though, if you have time to read up on these games and haven't played them, do so now! The world and mythology that was created for these games is unbelievable, not to mention the story is so complex with the time traveling and whatnot. I almost want to write a very long and in depth essay on why the legacy of Kain games are so amazing just from a literary stand point.

Dar_Klink

Ooh Majora's Mask, my favorite Zelda game followed closely by Link's Awakening. I'm sad that those two are both overshadowed by their predecessors: A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time.

Aazealh said:
Well that's how it came off to me, and apparently I'm not the only one. No hard feelings here.

Sorry to everyone if I came off this way I apologize for whatever it was that sounded asshole-ish.

On to more games:

Banjo-Kazooie

Knights of the Round

lol megarace(only because the announcer was so funny)

Speaking of Zelda

Legend of Zelda: Oracle of seasons + ages I loved those.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I still don't really understand the thrust of this thread. The concept isn't concrete enough that I can't suggest something like Pac-Man. So ...

Pac-Man.

Can we get some clarificaton so we don't just list every game we like? Like ... maybe change the title to Underrated Games You Should Play?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I also have trouble seeing the criteria used for posting games here... My thoughts when I see what's posted go like this:

ori said:
lol megarace(only because the announcer was so funny)

Rock 'n' Roll Racing

ori said:
Legend of Zelda: Oracle of seasons + ages I loved those.

The Legend of Zelda - NES

Begemot

STOP UNDRESSING ME WITH YOUR EYES!
I'll mainly list stuff I've not seen mentioned so far.

Planescape: Torment
Final Fantasy Tactics
Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike

And, hell, I'll go more old school than any of you.
Go and Chess

Oburi

All praise Grail
I'd also like to bring up Suikoden 1 and Suikoden 2. My friend is replaying them and I love just sitting there and watching someone replay those games. Suikoden 2 has the most epic and emotional story ever. Right up there with Chrono Trigger and Final FantasyVII as far as jrpg's go, IMO of course.

Well if your a all around kind of gamer, I bet the most of us have played the classics. So I'll make a few list here. At the end maybe some games that are pretty decent that not many have played.

Pretty popular classics:

Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2)
Resident Evil 2/4 (PS/PS2/GC)
Castlevania SOTN (PS1)
Final Fantasy 7 (PS1)
Chrono Trigger (SNES)
Shadow of Colossus (Great game) (PS2)
Fable(XBOX)
Medal of Honor (PS1)

A bit more obscure:

Spyon Filter (PS1)
Parasite Eve (PS1)
Ackraiser 2 (SNES) (Like it pretty than the first)
Age of Empires 2 (PC) (Endless hours lost to this game)
Rush San Fransisco (Dreamcast) (Stunt mode is great)
Medievil (PS1)
Soul Calibar (Dreamcast)
Toy Commander (Dreamcast)
Bushido Blade (PS1)
Tenchu (PS1)

Pretty obscure:

Treasures of the Deep (PS1)
Herc's Adventures (LOVE THIS GAME Saturn/PS1)
Shuemue (Dreamcast)
Brain Lord (SNES)
Galarains (PS1)
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (XBOX)
Engriz...or something like that (PS!) (Has a fun RPG mode apart from the fighting mode.)
Maken X (Dreamcast) (A good one)
Excalibur (PS1) (Pretty rare Square game)
Air Combat (PS1) I think this was the very first PS game ever published, it has a game code 000001 on the box. Maybe not.

Top Bottom