Episode 302

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting stuff, especially the surprise guest. :rakshas:

I'm puzzled by page 18, though. Can't really make out what the middle and lower right panels depict. Other than that, it strikes me how Ganishka really looks more like a plant than an animal now. I wonder if Miura didn't design this new form with that in mind.

And it looks like that face at the bottom of the "crater" might be the central node of the whole behemoth. Quite the weak point, if that's the case.

EDIT: About that translation, it's a bit strange that he's saying ひがり and not 光 (which would be "ひかり").

I might be wrong, but I think those panels you point out might be Griffith and Zodd busting through the cloud storm surrounding the top of Ganishka and the bottom is the light pouring through the hole they created. That might work with the text on page 20 (also referencing Griffith I'm sure)

Interesting episode! I love how easy Griffith makes fighting Mount Everest seem.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CowTip said:
I might be wrong, but I think those panels you point out might be Griffith and Zodd busting through the cloud storm surrounding the top of Ganishka and the bottom is the light pouring through the hole they created.

Hmm, possible. It's the black line in the middle of the hole that throws me off, along with the "speed" effect in the panel below. Could just represent Zodd speeding through the clouds I guess. Hopefully it'll be clearer in the volume, what with the better printing and all.

Anyway, what do you guys think Rakshas' intentions are? Simply to observe what will take place? To somehow help Griffith against Ganishka? Or... to try and take his head? :carcus:

Yeah, all I can get from the middle panel is that they're just shooting through that fast. Also perhaps supporting this theory is that if you look just to the lower right of Zodd in the middle picture, you can see a sort of puff in the smoke where it looks like they came through.

Edit: My take on Rakshas is that he's there more for himself than for Griffith. He's definitely a sneaky enough character to do something like that, though it seems odd to me that Zodd wouldn't notice him around so who knows?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CowTip said:
Yeah, all I can get from the middle panel is that they're just shooting through that fast. Also perhaps supporting this theory is that if you look just to the lower right of Zodd in the middle picture, you can see a sort of puff in the smoke where it looks like they came through.

Yeah, and then the lower right panel would be them going through the cloud. Makes sense. The black line in the middle panel could even just be the end of Zodd's tail, like the way it's shown on pages 9 or 11. :zodd:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, this episode is way more awesome than I previously thought :void:

Rakshas coming along for the ride makes me wonder if there's not some personal history between Ganishka and him. It's as if Rakshas particularly wanted to be there to witness his fall.

And yes, I have considered that he may attempt to assassinate Griffith as soon as Ganishka falls, and no, I don't think it's a likely possibility.

PS: You heard it here first, Griffith is going to plant a smooch on Ganishka's face, and the great towering monster will finally know what it feels like to be in love, and come crashing down in euphoria. THEEEE END. :ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Rakshas coming along for the ride makes me wonder if there's not some personal history between Ganishka and him. It's as if Rakshas particularly wanted to be there to witness his fall.

Which brings to mind the time he went out of his way to show the emperor's true face to Silat and the Tapasa.

S

smoke

I never cease to be absolutely amazed at the quality of art in this series.

It seriously blows me away with every new episode.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Great Scot! Amazing stuff! wow!!!

I,d have to go with Cowtip. It seems that either Griffith and Zodd are plumming through the dark cloud or it could also be through Ganishka.

Rakshas my beautiful what are you up to!?

I'd say he , like Aaz, that he might try to take Griff's head after he gets rid of Ganishka. Maybe it was Ganishka who banned Rakshas of his clan (before he was emperor?!) Just trowing that out for speculafun!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
I,d have to go with Cowtip. It seems that either Griffith and Zodd are plumming through the dark cloud or it could also be through Ganishka.

Nah, I'm positive they're going through the cloud.

Great stuff but.. no dialogues? That's disappointing. I hope in the next one we'll some interaction between Griffith and Ganishka...
I'm kinda disappointed, really, I was hoping to see something "important" after this 5 month break.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Adam Kadmon said:
I hope in the next one we'll some interaction between Griffith and Ganishka...

Well that's almost guaranteed at this point.

Adam Kadmon said:
I'm kinda disappointed, really, I was hoping to see something "important" after this 5 month break.

It's the continuation of what was happening in the previous episodes, I don't know what else to tell you. And we're reaching the conclusion of this confrontation, so important things will happen soon enough. A break doesn't mean that the episode coming right after it will necessarily be one to be remembered above all others.

Anyhow, even though it is transitional, I think this episode is pretty cool.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I just watched the episode. The wait was worth, and with those spreads I see why it took so much time to draw all these panels. The pictures speak for themselves. It's sure getting closer to Ganishka's doom. :guts:

Aazealh said:
Well that's almost guaranteed at this point.

It's the continuation of what was happening in the previous episodes, I don't know what else to tell you. And we're reaching the conclusion of this confrontation, so important things will happen soon enough. A break doesn't mean that the episode coming right after it will necessarily be one to be remembered above all others.

I know, I don't blame Miura for that. In the volume this episode will be perfect, I just hoped to see something more this time and don't have to wait for the next. Fortunately, 303 is just two weeks away.

Very nice episode with an interesting twist at the end. I've been thinking, even if Zodd didn't notice Rakshas, I can't see how Griffith wouldn't. Maybe he's part of the battleplan, knowingly or unknowingly. Or Griffith just doesn't care that he's there. :guts:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Great episode. It's just so epic, I even got goosebumps while Griffith and Zodd were flying around up there in an almost calm and peaceful manner, away from the battlefield.

I'm leaning towards Rakshas being there to help. Maybe Griffith needs him for something, maybe his true form is something unique and Griffith has use for it. I can't really bring myself to believe neither Griffith nor Zodd didn't realize he's up there with them. Of course it always possible and Rakshas is very sneaky..but how sneaky exactly? I will be very surprised if he could out smart Griffith. My first thought when he appeared wasn't that he was trying to go unnoticed, rather that's just his method of showing up. He's always done that --> :rakshas: Could be wrong though, he is so very mysterious.

Dani

Smile!
Well worth the wait. The lack of text was great, the art is fantastic, there is an impressive sense of scale. Griffith riding atop Zodd, perfect. I'm very much interested what the hell Rakshas is up to, whatever it is.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I'm at work right now, so I don't have the time to sit and take in the episode, but it looks awesome from what I've seen. :guts:

Th3Branded0ne said:
The wait was worth, and with those spreads I see why it took so much time to draw all these panels.

Miura uses the two week period (sometimes three week) to draw the episodes.  He wasn't spending his break drawing these two page spreads.  Aaz has mentioned how Miura spends his breaks several times throughout the board.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
He's always done that --> :rakshas: Could be wrong though, he is so very mysterious.

One thing's sure though: he looks so cute, curled up under Zodd's wing, that I'd adopt him as a pet. :guts:

Rhombaad said:
Miura uses the two week period (sometimes three week) to draw the episodes. He wasn't spending his break drawing these two page spreads. Aaz has mentioned how Miura spends his breaks several times throughout the board.

For all we know he might have spent longer on it than usual though. But yeah, 5 months spent on a single episode seems unrealistic.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I don't think I have much to say except that in my opinion this is one of the most beautifully drawn episodes I've ever seen, even by Miura's lofty standards. The time and care taken with it are evident, and if the same is true for the next few, I'm looking forward to them that much more. I mean, on pages 5-7, when they're looking up in awe at Ganishka, I was looking at it and them in similar awe. It literally made me wonder what Miura's peers think when they see such a ridiculous level of work like this for the medium. Just beautiful.

A

avidwriter

Thanks for the scans. Interesting to see :rakshas: there, wonder if he's going to try to kill Griffith or just wants to witness whats going on. As has been said the details are really top notch but you can't expect less anymore. That last page would lead you to believe that they are going to have a conversation about who knows what before Griffith one shots him, :griffnotevil:.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
I've been smiling for the last 10 minutes and I just can't stop. That was probably the best surprise I've ever gotten out of an episode. It was just so unexpected and hilarious at the same time. I'm just speculating what he's doing there and whether or not Grif knows he's hiding under Zodd's wing. Surprise attack? Against who? Does he want a try at Ganishka himself? Which definitly makes me think of some relation between Ganishka and Rakshas. Rakshas, I am your father! :ganishka: :schierke: I think it's too early for him to try anything against Grif. This has been one of my fave episodes in recent memory. I can't wait to see whats going to happen.

Top Bottom