Episode 302

I think that the lack of text is hardly a bad thing. Miura just really wanted to give us a sense of the overall size of this behemoth as well as show how complicated it truly is. I think he did a pretty good job. This makes me want a giant Ganishka emote :troll:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CowTip said:
Miura just really wanted to give us a sense of the overall size of this behemoth as well as show how complicated it truly is. I think he did a pretty good job. This makes me want a giant Ganishka emote  :troll:
It's  not just the sheer size that's fascinating though. Miura's turned what was already a pretty monstrous form into this really unique ... plant-like continent, as Aaz said. And he's brought us so close we can see their beards bristle with excitement when Griffith walks by.

Which brings me to what was for me, one of the more interesting parts of this episode to me. Notice at the top of page 21, the beard/tentacles are not waving in a fearsome way, they're more like giving Griffith fanfare, as if they recognize an affinity with him. Since this massive form of Ganishka is composed of matter straight from the depths of the Astral world and "Hell", it's highly likely Griffith's presence here will have an even stronger reaction on Ganishka than he did in ep 282, when he fell to his knees.

Also in that ep, which was the only other time these two characters were ever face to face, Griffith threatened to touch him with his hand, and Ganishka instinctively knew that if he were to touch him, it would be over. I'm thinking that could happen again, and that right soon  :griffnotevil: But not before we get some great dialogue between the two, I'm hoping, even though Ganishka hasn't exactly been coherent since he stepped into the chamber.

avidwriter said:
Interesting to see  :rakshas: there, wonder if he's going to try to kill Griffith
Regarding Rakshas, his intent look at toward the end, just as the trio witness Ganishka's core, along with Rakshas' forboding "....." really implies to me he's there to witness the emperor's fall, and not to grab a quick assassination at Griffith. Don't forget that Rakshas is the only Kushan apostle in the Apostle Army. It makes sense that he'd want to be a part of the final moments of the emperor of terror.

CowTip said:
I think that the lack of text is hardly a bad thing.
There may not be much text, but what's there (Higari), is somewhat mysterious. I'll wait to weigh in on it until our translators can isolate if it really does simply mean "light," or something more obscure.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
For all we know he might have spent longer on it than usual though. But yeah, 5 months spent on a single episode seems unrealistic.

True, I didn't mean it took him exactly 2 weeks to draw this episode, but more that he didn't spend most of his break working on it.  It's pretty amazing how much he gets done in such a short period of time.  I loved every dialogue-less panel of this episode, especially the very sneaky Rakshas.  From the way he's gazing in silence from under Zodd's wing, I doubt he'll attempt to dispatch Griffith.  I think people have the right idea, there's definitely a connection between Rakshas and Ganishka and I can't wait to find out what it is.  Also, I loved how all the tentacle-like beards of the many Ganishka heads were reaching for Griffith as he descended towards the giant's core.  Is it possible that he really is saying "ひかり" and that it's just coming out sorta garbled due to his violent transformation?  I remember the last time this was discussed, Puella mentioned that it had to do with gathering and picking up shells, which made sense with the mini-Ganishkas picking up and devouring the remaining Kushan soldiers, but how do you think it would apply here?

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
I think this is as close as we're going to get to a giant glowing falcon. Anyone amazed when Ganishka moved?

Has anyone stopped to wonder since viewing this episode if somehow Rakshas' presence will be key to dispensing of Ganishka? Perhaps there is a correlating reason his apostle form/nature has been left unshown since his introduction, and that it will be of use in to griffith in the very immediate future.

His appearance and the way he moves / contorts himself reminds me of Cloak from the Marvel Series. I keepwondering if he will end up possessing similar abilities? Anyone remember Cloak?

GREAT EPISODE! THANKS SCANBOT & SK.NET!

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Jaze1618 said:
Has anyone stopped to wonder since viewing this episode if somehow Rakshas' presence will be key to dispensing of Ganishka? Perhaps there is a correlating reason his apostle form/nature has been left unshown since his introduction, and that it will be of use in to griffith in the very immediate future.

Whether he's an integral part of Griffith's plan to dispatch Ganishka or not, I'm hoping we get to see his apostle form during this encounter, but maybe that's asking for too much. :rakshas:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Jaze1618 said:

His appearance and the way he moves / contorts himself reminds me of Cloak from the Marvel Series. I keepwondering if he will end up possessing similar abilities? Anyone remember Cloak?

GREAT EPISODE! THANKS SCANBOT & SK.NET!

uhhh...yea...I did already mention that. Griffith may need Rakshas' true form for something.

X

Xem

This is the first episode that I didn't wait for a proper translation before looking at it since it had so little text. I have to admit the pictures were a tad large for my resolution, but that's nothing a quick click and save won't fix.

Anyway, amazing episode! Well worth the wait! Thanks Muira, Scanbot, and anyone attempting the translation! May 8th can't come fast enough!

Ok just pure awesomeness. Their isn't really anything else to say. So much to love and nothing to hate. Hopefully more dialogue in the next episode like someone pointed out.

So we're going to get Ganishka's backstory next? That's good.

I speculate the Ganiskha began as some poor boy somewhere in a big city, getting violated, beaten, having to tend for others who are even in poorer condition than he was, and then sold to a kushan sorcerer, who abused him even more, but still taught him neat magic stuff and secret mysteries of the layers of existence that pervades the world. Then he either kills the sorcerer, or becomes some kind of vizier to a powerful king.

Then he overthrows the king, who's a tyrant, executes him, and sits on the throne as ultra-tyrant Emperor Ganishka, who can breath his deadly mist upon all who oppose him.

And then other stuff happens.

Nonetheless, after the backstory, I hope that Griffith doesn't finish off Ganishka too easily. I want the bearded fuzzy to go down with a bang, and make Griffith pay a hefty price for conquering Midland, which even he is shocked about.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Deviance said:
So we're going to get Ganishka's backstory next? That's good.

I speculate the Ganiskha began as some poor boy somewhere in a big city, getting violated, beaten, having to tend for others who are even in poorer condition than he was, and then sold to a kushan sorcerer, who abused him even more, but still taught him neat magic stuff and secret mysteries of the layers of existence that pervades the world. Then he either kills the sorcerer, or becomes some kind of vizier to a powerful king.

Then he overthrows the king, who's a tyrant, executes him, and sits on the throne as ultra-tyrant Emperor Ganishka, who can breath his deadly mist upon all who oppose him.

And then other stuff happens.

Nonetheless, after the backstory, I hope that Griffith doesn't finish off Ganishka too easily. I want the bearded fuzzy to go down with a bang, and make Griffith pay a hefty price for conquering Midland, which even he is shocked about.

Where does it say that we are going to get Ganishka's back story?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Where does it say that we are going to get Ganishka's back story?

It doesn't (unless it's in the "next episode" text).

But it sure would be nice to learn a bit more about the big guy.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Rhombaad said:

But it sure would be nice to learn a bit more about the big guy.

I don't know about that. It would slow down the story too much at such an important time.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
handsome rakshas said:
It was just so unexpected and hilarious at the same time. I'm just speculating what he's doing there and whether or not Grif knows he's hiding under Zodd's wing.

Have you wondered how he can stick in there like that though? Looks like some sort of spider-like silk is gluing him to the wing... Reinforcing the possibility of an (ugly) arachnoid apostle form! :zodd:

Walter said:
Which brings me to what was for me, one of the more interesting parts of this episode to me. Notice at the top of page 21, the beard/tentacles are not waving in a fearsome way, they're more like giving Griffith fanfare, as if they recognize an affinity with him. Since this massive form of Ganishka is composed of matter straight from the depths of the Astral world and "Hell", it's highly likely Griffith's presence here will have an even stronger reaction on Ganishka than he did in ep 282, when he fell to his knees.

Yeah, exactly. Which brings back the question of what Griffith will do exactly. Clearly, this all isn't just happening so that Griffith will look good to Midland's citizens, nor is his purpose just to defeat Ganishka and repel the Kushans.

Rhombaad said:
Is it possible that he really is saying "ひかり" and that it's just coming out sorta garbled due to his violent transformation? I remember the last time this was discussed, Puella mentioned that it had to do with gathering and picking up shells, which made sense with the mini-Ganishkas picking up and devouring the remaining Kushan soldiers, but how do you think it would apply here?

Well that's the problem: it doesn't apply. "Light" would make sense, however the fact remains that the word is different, and if you look for ひがり in Google you'll find results on... sea shells. And I'd already asked puella the first time the word appeared, but she doesn't think it'd be written like that if the goal was to make him speak in a garbled manner. So... Personally I have no explanation at the moment.

Jaze1618 said:

It's possible of course, and I said so one page ago. :rakshas:

Jaze1618 said:

Hahaha, so he sticks with Griffith because his light satiates his hunger? :void:

Rhombaad said:

Yes, the last line says so.

Oburi said:
I don't know about that. It would slow down the story too much at such an important time.

Not necessarily. It might not be the whole episode that will focus on his youth, and I'm sure it'll be integrated into the current events in a seamless manner. I, for one, have been looking forward to that moment for a long time.

puella

Berserk forever
Aazealh said:
Well that's the problem: it doesn't apply. "Light" would make sense, however the fact remains that the word is different, and if you look for ひがり in Google you'll find results on... sea shells. And I'd already asked puella the first time the word appeared, but she doesn't think it'd be written like that if the goal was to make him speak in a garbled manner. So... Personally I have no explanation at the moment.
The word is really tricky to translate. In the previous episode, I thought it might come from "shiohigari", but it doesn't apply to this episode. I personally think "higari" is a combined word: "hi" + "gari". I think "gari" come from "karu", which means "hunt" or "catch". Karu's noun form is "kari" and the sound should change after "hi" so it becomes "gari". The problem is that there are tons of Japanese words corresponding to the hiragana "hi". In this case, we definitely need its kanji to be sure of what it means. Considering the symbolism with Griffith, I'd go for "灯" which means "light", though it's different from "光". It's more of a warm light (it's the word used for the bubbles of light symbolizing the memories in Guts' mind when Schierke enters it to rescue him from the armor in volume 27). Or "hi" could be "fire". But it's all just guesses in the end.

Anyway, I don't think Miura made Ganishka mumble that specific word while he spoke all the other words correctly but in a dragging way after he turned into a giant monster. It just wouldn't be consistent at all. In brief, I guess the word means "light-catching" which could also be a pun with "hikari (光)".

A.C said:
Yes! A Ganishka backstory, I can't wait for this. Beautiful episode, great to have Berserk back again.
From my experience, we shouldn't depend on YA's announcements too much. They're not 100% reliable and have turned out to be completely wrong several times in the past. For example, that event could happen in the next next next issue. But I agree it's exciting news. :serpico:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
Yes, the last line says so.

Excellent news. Like you, I've been waiting quite a while to learn even a little bit about Ganishka's past. My apologies, Deviance, I shouldn't have spoken so soon.

puella said:
The word is really tricky to translate. In the previous episode, I thought it might come from "shiohigari", but it doesn't apply to this episode. I personally think "higari" is a combined word: "hi" + "gari". I think "gari" come from "karu", which means "hunt" or "catch". Karu's noun form is "kari" and the sound should change after "hi" so it becomes "gari". The problem is that there are tons of Japanese words corresponding to the hiragana "hi". In this case, we definitely need its kanji to be sure of what it means. Considering the symbolism with Griffith, I'd go for "灯" which means "light", though it's different from "光". It's more of a warm light (it's the word used for the bubbles of light symbolizing the memories in Guts' mind when Schierke enters it to rescue him from the armor in volume 27). Or "hi" could be "fire". But it's all just guesses in the end.

Anyway, I don't think Miura made Ganishka mumble that specific word while he spoke all the other words correctly but in a dragging way after he turned into a giant monster. It just wouldn't be consistent at all. In brief, I guess the word means "light-catching" which could also be a pun with "hikari (光)".

Thanks for the clarification, Puella, you know your stuff and I greatly appreciate the explanation. :serpico:

Thanks for the episode ,it's a pleasure to have Berserk back again and seriously the art of Miura is REALLY something else, I mean there is something almost sacred coming from this episode... it really gives me the chill

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Mad Angel Loki said:
the art of Miura is REALLY something else, I mean there is something almost sacred coming from this episode... it really gives me the chill
No doubt. It's far more majestic than those leaked, cropped preview pictures first implied.

With the word that Ganishka's origin will be touched on in the coming episodes, I'm even more sure of my feeling that Rakshas and Ganishka have some kind of history between them. Perhaps the mysterious apostle was at one time a test subject in one of Ganishka's sorcery experiments? Either way, I have a feeling we'll also get more information on the Bakiraka and its history.

I really can't express how pleased I am that we're likely to get Ganishka's history. For a time, I thought Miura would leave us few Ganishka fans empty handed when he finally left the stage. But now ... there's hope. So, bring it on. :daiba:

puella said:

I think this is thinking wayyyy too deeply about the meaning here. In 297 Ganishka mentioned that:
Ganishka: That light is what I wanted
Ganishka: It is that light that is my…

And next in 298, we have his little "offspring" moaning "higari" over and over again. And now in this episode we have the many faces saying it as well. I also highly doubt that the "offspring" will have the intelligence to put two words together (日+狩). I believe (again, just my opinion) it's just the unique way the monsters are saying the word "hikari".

puella

Berserk forever
yota821 said:
I think this is thinking wayyyy too deeply about the meaning here. In 297 Ganishka mentioned that:
Ganishka: That light is what I wanted
Ganishka: It is that light that is my…

And next in 298, we have his little "offspring" moaning "higari" over and over again. And now in this episode we have the many faces saying it as well. I also highly doubt that the "offspring" will have the intelligence to put two words together (日+狩). I believe (again, just my opinion) it's just the unique way the monsters are saying the word "hikari".

Actually, it was one of my numerous thoughts. But why would Ganishka speak like that in this episode? It's not just the offsprings this time, so using the excuse that they talk like if they were retarded is dubious to me, especially since Ganishka spoke correctly before. I can't find solid ground for that. And why would he mispronounce the word in that particular way?

One thing I would say to that is that Ganishka was gradually losing his sense of self quite rapidly, which may explain the breakdown in his speech. And also the existence of the "main body (本体)" at the end of this episode may also explain the gradual withdrawal of intelligence to one central head, with the other branching heads having much less awareness (though this idea is pretty far-fetched). Another explanation may be what Aaz or Walter explained earlier, that this may be his instinctive response with so much of his form coming directly from the abyss, even though intellectually he would be more resistive.

As for the pronounciation, to me it seems that by pronouncing it "ひがり" rather than "ひかり” suggests a rather gutteral, or at the very least a strong bass sound. It really conveys a monstrous tone beyond what a simple change of the speech bubble and font will do.

Again, IMO. :griffnotevil:

puella said:

I really like this debate - personally I want to go with 'light-catching' because, hey, Griffith is going to suck up all the light and bring on the Age of Darkness! :troll:

It also took me a third look to realize that page 4 is G taking a step.

Top Bottom