Episode 302

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Actually, one of the first things that struck me as I went through this episode was how many great pages there are just waiting for our colorists! :carcus:

But seriously, spread after spread after spread. Thanks Scanbot, this was definitely worth the wait.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Lithrael said:
Freaking awesome of course. Looks like 8-9 needs to be reconstituted as a 2 page spread, but nonetheless, thanks Scanny! :serpico:
It seems obvious now that you say so, but I never noticed it before. Man, it makes a lot more sense now.

CLICK for the fix. (1.5mb file).

Now, when Griffith and Zodd fly from the smoke, did they just evade getting stepped on? Or was their location else where? Because, those two may of made it out, but what about every one else? Pancakes?

X

Xem

Death May Die said:
Now, when Griffith and Zodd fly from the smoke, did they just evade getting stepped on? Or was their location else where? Because, those two may of made it out, but what about every one else? Pancakes?

As maniacal as it sounds I think that those Griffith sent in to die were more of a distraction, or bait if you will. He needed a way to get to Ganishka's zenith, and this served as the perfect way to do it. So ya, pancakes, and it wasn't a coincidence that Griffith was near and ready for it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
As maniacal as it sounds I think that those Griffith sent in to die were more of a distraction, or bait if you will. He needed a way to get to Ganishka's zenith, and this served as the perfect way to do it. So ya, pancakes, and it wasn't a coincidence that Griffith was near and ready for it.

Those Griffith sent in to die? He was at the front, leading everyone else. It's more than likely there were casualties, but he didn't send a specific group to serve as bait. The whole army's there as far as we can see.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It looks to me like the ones at the very front of the line may have been squashed, and the bulk of the army were swept up in the massive shock wave that sent apostles and humans flying through the air.

I'm sure it's just the nameless apostles that died though... don't expect pancake Locus to be under there or anything.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I'm sure it's just the nameless apostles that died though... don't expect pancake Locus to be under there or anything.

Makes me think it'd be funny if we saw Grunbeld imbedded in the ground under Ganishka's foot, not dead but half-buried. :void:

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Aazealh said:
Makes me think it'd be funny if we saw Grunbeld imbedded in the ground under Ganishka's foot, not dead but half-buried. :void:

I would pay a million dollars to see Grunbeld in the ground saying, "A little help, please?" as he was trying to get out XD

Little late, but thank you scanbot! I was also curious why no 'fireballs' were shot at Griff and Zodd. It didn't even look like any of the arms were swatting at them.
If we are going to be treated to a flashback, I agree the focus should strictly be on Ganishka (leaving the Silat and Rakshas history lesson for another time.)

I can't stop wondering just how Griff will dispatch Ganishka. He re-sheaths his sword toward the end of the episode, not that I was thinking it'd be of any use. (Well, I did think for a second that Griff would simply stab the 'original body' and the whole 'thing' would come tumbling down.) But that's no where near as grand as what probably needs to go down to really put on a show for the spectators below.

What will be said between the two of them? If anything...

Now for Rakshas and his motives for being there, I'm confused. At first it really does seem like Zodd is unaware he's there. But then again, he's Zodd, I don't see him suddenly turning his head and being surprised. Rakshas has to be holding on/ sticking to him somehow. I think it's safe to safe to say Zodd knows he's there. So, I'll vote he's spectating. But what if he's part of taking the Ganishka tower down? As for Rakshas' threat to take Griff's head, I can't imagine how it would go down, at this moment anyways.

MAY 8TH!!!!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I wouldn't be surprised if very few Apostles were actually killed by that stomp, I think it was more they were basically meeting Ganishka just as he stepped there and it blew most of them back. Could be wrong though.

Proj2501 said:
I was also curious why no 'fireballs' were shot at Griff and Zodd. It didn't even look like any of the arms were swatting at them.

On pages 14-17 the arms are coming right for them but Zodd and Griff do some fancy maneuvering to avoid them (my favorite is Griffith actually looking like he's ducking one on page 16, though he may just keeping his balance =). The lack of fireballs is interesting though, maybe Ganishka was spent after going off like Peter North before. :ganishka:

Proj2501 said:
If we are going to be treated to a flashback, I agree the focus should strictly be on Ganishka (leaving the Silat and Rakshas history lesson for another time.)

I don't know, I think it would be neat if the three of them shared some integral history, though it's hard to think of Ganishka as ever being a contemporary of theirs, but rather a great old Apostle. Hopefully, we'll find out.

Proj2501 said:
I can't stop wondering just how Griff will dispatch Ganishka. He re-sheaths his sword toward the end of the episode, not that I was thinking it'd be of any use. (Well, I did think for a second that Griff would simply stab the 'original body' and the whole 'thing' would come tumbling down.) But that's no where near as grand as what probably needs to go down to really put on a show for the spectators below.

What will be said between the two of them? If anything...

It's going to be a combination of the ending of Dogma with the shutting off of the containment unit and subsequent ending of Ghostbusters. =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DpPicOZOig&fmt=18

Proj2501 said:
Now for Rakshas and his motives for being there, I'm confused. At first it really does seem like Zodd is unaware he's there. But then again, he's Zodd, I don't see him suddenly turning his head and being surprised. Rakshas has to be holding on/ sticking to him somehow. I think it's safe to safe to say Zodd knows he's there. So, I'll vote he's spectating. But what if he's part of taking the Ganishka tower down? As for Rakshas' threat to take Griff's head, I can't imagine how it would go down, at this moment anyways.

I agree it's rather absurd that Griffith wouldn't know he's there, let alone Zodd, though it is rather intriguing. I think we have to assume at this point that Rakshas is part of the plan, and if not, perhaps some kind of personal history or knowledge of Ganishka. I like how you put it that he could merely be spectating, somehow even that fits his nature. He'd want to see this! :rakshas:

Whatever the case, it certainly raises his stature, as this is the second time we've seen him second only to Zodd in personally serving and protecting Griffith, even more impressive that he's present at this most important intimate climax. Of course, if he's to try and get Griffith's head once they've succeeded, it could be a very sad day for both Ganishka and Rakshas fans.

You just can't trust those Kushan Apostles. :griffnotevil:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
SlimJ87D said:
Do you guys see how fast Zodd can fly? There's a sonic boom when he takes off! He must be going freaking fast!

I don't really know if it's a sonic boom blast. To me it looks more like a circle of dust made from flapping his wings preparing for a speed burst, but I don't know if he was that strong. It could be in any case.

Griffith

Yeah, I think the explosion and ring around Zodd are just from flying through the cloud of dust Ganishka's footetep created. Rochine went supersonic with organic jet propulsion, I don't think Zodd's doing it with a pair of batwings. =)

Great episode seriously!

And thanks for the scans :guts:

Aazealh said:
For all we know he might have spent longer on it than usual though. But yeah, 5 months spent on a single episode seems unrealistic.

That 5 months could have made him drew more than a episode, which explain why the next one could be released on schedule (Drawing wise I'm pretty confident it would be just as detailed and epic)

Anyway for my opinions, I pretty sure Griffith is aware of Rakshas' presence... He is a godhand afterall (Even Guts could sense an apostle's appearance nearby)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:

I don't doubt it'll focus on Ganishka, but we might learn more about the Bakiraka anyway, depending on how it relates to him (if not at all, well we won't learn anything). Maybe we'll find out the truth about Rakshas' eviction from the clan: his sordid head-collecting habit. :rakshas:

Proj2501 said:

Maybe he'll just give him a big smooch, like Wally said. :griffnotevil: As for the spectators below, I think enough of a show is being put on for them at the moment as a foot the size of a castle is trampling them. :ganishka: Anyhow, whatever happens, I'm sure the result will be grand enough.

Griffith said:
I don't know, I think it would be neat if the three of them shared some integral history, though it's hard to think of Ganishka as ever being a contemporary of theirs, but rather a great old Apostle. Hopefully, we'll find out.

Well the thing with apostles is that they're ageless. For all we know Rakshas could be the older one. :rakshas:

Griffith said:
I wouldn't be surprised if very few Apostles were actually killed by that stomp, I think it was more they were basically meeting Ganishka just as he stepped there and it blew most of them back. Could be wrong though.

I agree with that. While we can't determine the casualties' extent from the picture, it doesn't look like he stepped right in the middle of them.

SlimJ87D said:
Do you guys see how fast Zodd can fly? There's a sonic boom when he takes off! He must be going freaking fast!

Sorry man, but like the others said, Zodd is just getting out of the dust cloud.

Smith said:
Anyway for my opinions, I pretty sure Griffith is aware of Rakshas' presence... He is a godhand afterall (Even Guts could sense an apostle's appearance nearby)

I'm not quite sure Guts' brand would be able to detect Rakshas hiding inside Zodd's wing, next to Griffith, standing on top of a mountain of evilness. The poor guy would probably explode before that.

I'm having a rough time conjuring up an image of Griffith and Rakshas riding ontop Zodd after Ganishka has fallen. Will he just sneak back under a wing? As for lopping off Griffith's head, Rakshas never indicated when he would make his move and seeing as they're all above the clouds at the moment, I wouldn't call this an opportune moment.

And speaking of which, let's say when Ganishka finally does go down, what becomes of the giant? Does the vortex of souls still apply to Ganishka and say it does, since Ganishka's now 1000 times bigger than normal apostles does that mean the vortex will also be that huge? If the size of the vortex is relative to the size of the apostle, could such a large vortex pose a threat to those in the immediate area?

Too many questions...

EDIT: What the hell happened to Griffith's horse? :judo:
deadhorse20opt-1.jpg

And speaking of which, let's say when Ganishka finally does go down, what becomes of the giant? Does the vortex of souls still apply to Ganishka and say it does, since Ganishka's now 1000 times bigger than normal apostles does that mean the vortex will also be that huge? If the size of the vortex is relative to the size of the apostle, could such a large vortex pose a threat to those in the immediate area?

Haha, I'm conjuring up the thought of half of the planet being reeled into the Vortex along with Ganishka, as he is so massive and the Vortex collapsing with the massive weight. :troll:

Seriously though, Ganishka will probably turn back into his normal form after being defeated and then be forced into the Vortex. I wonder if Ganishka has some sort of back up plan right about now? Like be able to take a certain amount of enemies with him by taking a shit the size of Mt. Everest on them! :ganishka:

Henry Spencer said:
Seriously though, Ganishka will probably turn back into his normal form after being defeated and then be forced into the Vortex.

Well from what we've always seen, when an apostle dies in their Apostle-form, the vortex comes along and after the dust settles, all that's left is their original human form. So it makes no sense for Ganishka to return to his normal human form before the vortex (even under 'normal' circumstances) and let's not forget he's a mammoth mobile meat mountain. Where would his current body go, literally?

Will everyone be dining on Ganishka-bobs? :chomp: I doubt it.

The vortex of souls is the only thing that I can see neatly cleaning the whole mess up.

Henry Spencer said:
wonder if Ganishka has some sort of back up plan right about now?

I doubt it. He doesn't seem to be coherent enough. The fireballs and Chibishkas were more of a 'natural reaction' (for complete lack of a better term) The Chibis were essentially him eating anything in sight. And the fireballs were like...uhh, hell spit.

Just had a thought, what if Ganishka's body became a permanent landmark? ...Yeah, I don't see it happening either.

EDIT: After staring at the page with Rakshas. Perhaps his current form has something to do with Ganishka. Maybe we haven't seen his apostle form because he isn't an apostle.

Now guys, I admit I haven't re-read Berserk as much as I used to...and I used to. But did it ever clearly state that Rakshas was indeed a boneified Apostle? Or do we just assume he is because he's serving Griffith? Because even regular humans, Mule for instance, follow Griffith.

From the get go, he has what appears to be 3 eyes, insane reflexes and pointy arachnid like arms. ALL other apostles look human and none have ever exhibited the ability to squish themselves into tiny balls and stick to things. Which leads me to think, perhaps Rakshas was transformed into some kind of creature by Ganishka or Daiba's magic and maybe that's why he was banished (y'know for being a freak show), now he's here to see Ganishka go down. IDK.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Henry Spencer said:
Seriously though, Ganishka will probably turn back into his normal form after being defeated and then be forced into the Vortex.
I reaaally don't think it will be that simple. I'd suggest re-reading ep 295 if you're on that line of thinking. The towering figure we see now is now all composed of Ganishka and his apostle for, or anything. Like Daiba said, it's straight from hell. Because of the matter he's composed of, when Ganishka falls, it will be a completely unique scenario, unlike any typical apostle death.

I'm not saying the Vortex absolutely won't play a role here, but I don't think it will be like anything we've seen before, given the scale of this transformation.

Proj2501 said:
The vortex of souls is the only thing that  I can see neatly cleaning the whole mess up.
And like we've been reiterating for more than a year now, I don't think it will be cleaned up neatly at all. All indications actually point in the opposite direction. As Sonia said, the principles of this world are ending, and we're likely witnessing the birth of the Age of Darkness.

Daiba: "The evil world is overflowing...!!"

Proj2501 said:
Well from what we've always seen, when an apostle dies in their Apostle-form, the vortex comes along and after the dust settles, all that's left is their original human form.

Not the most important part of your post, but as a side note. We actually haven't always seen this.. Or at least Miura has stopped giving it attention.

In volume 14 when gut's kills his first apostle with the DS, no attention is given by Anyone at the scene of the apostle being swallowed by the vortex.

Then again in volume 26, Skull knight kills several apostles, as does guts while in the Berserker Armor and even Zodd kills one.

Then, in books 27 or 32 if ganiska killed any of the apostles in his fog form, we never see the vortex. I'm not saying that it isn't happening, just that it's never given any focus since (chronologically speaking) the count was killed.

Has anyone else ever noticed this, or stopped to think about it before?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Jaze1618 said:
Has anyone else ever noticed this, or stopped to think about it before?
Yes. I think its omission in recent events is because it'd be a little redunant and also take away the pacing of the action -- especially in a key scene like the apostle invasion of Flora's Mansion, we really don't need to see apostles getting sucked into oblivion in the background.

correct, but it all things were consistent I'd expect to see a the clouds darken and at least a strong breeze to blow through the fore ground as all of this is happening.

But Walter I understand what you have said and I haD already come to the same conclusion myself. Didn't think I'd be the only person to ever notice it before.

Griffith

On the subject of Apostle deaths and the appearance of the vortex, I think we're trying too hard to apply hard fast rules here. Their absence could simply mean it doesn't always happen, or at least isn't always a spectacle. Even the Count and Wyald were relatively unique cases in and of themselves, and just going by what we actually see, it's really been the overall norm that we don't see anything like that happen when an Apostle is killed, the special occasion being when we do.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
I don't want to keep going on the vortex thing but what if it does make an appearance and Ganishka is so big that not even God (haha) could eat him all and the shit just blows up every where depositing all of the evil or what not into the world.

To keep on topic for this episode... I was thinking about Rakshas... all though he was exiled from Silat's tribe I wonder if Ganishka was there during that time. If he was, why did he get rid of Rakshas? I person with his talents could do very well serving for him. Could he be afraid of him? Maybe Rakshas knows his deep dark terrible secret from space. :ganishka:

Top Bottom