Episode 302

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
Does the vortex of souls still apply to Ganishka and say it does, since Ganishka's now 1000 times bigger than normal apostles does that mean the vortex will also be that huge? If the size of the vortex is relative to the size of the apostle, could such a large vortex pose a threat to those in the immediate area?

Like Walter said, you really shouldn't be thinking of Ganishka as a simple apostle anymore. What will happen now will be unique and unlike anything we've seen before. And the Vortex of Souls is and has always been huge. Bigger than Ganishka is right now.

Henry Spencer said:
Seriously though, Ganishka will probably turn back into his normal form after being defeated and then be forced into the Vortex.

Probably not.

Proj2501 said:
The vortex of souls is the only thing that I can see neatly cleaning the whole mess up.

The point of this all happening is that it's not going to be neatly cleaned up though.

Proj2501 said:
But did it ever clearly state that Rakshas was indeed a boneified Apostle? Or do we just assume he is because he's serving Griffith? Because even regular humans, Mule for instance, follow Griffith.

From the get go, he has what appears to be 3 eyes, insane reflexes and pointy arachnid like arms. ALL other apostles look human and none have ever exhibited the ability to squish themselves into tiny balls and stick to things.

Grunbeld is a giant. Maybe he's not an apostle but a proud warrior of the mysterious northern lands! :isidro: What you're saying reminds me of the people that have been saying ever since those characters were introduced that they weren't actually apostles. At first it was all 5 of them, then as each revealed his apostle form, it was one less. Recently the confirmation that yes, Irvine is an apostle was a harsh blow to them. Now they only have Rakshas left. It's true that nowhere in the manga is directly stated "Rakshas is an apostle". Does that mean he isn't one, though? No.

Yes, he has strange abilities, but no stranger than those of some other apostles. He was originally from the Bakiraka, warriors that develop and train their bodies in extreme ways. Look at the group that was sent in pursuit of Griffith in Wyndham's sewers. Look at the Tapasa. So having become an apostle, this sort of stuff is exactly what I'd expect from him. As for being an experiment, while I love Ganishka and Daiba, what we've seen of their magic wasn't quite enough to create the equivalent of an apostle, much less one of Rakshas' caliber.

Jaze1618 said:
Not the most important part of your post, but as a side note. We actually haven't always seen this.. Or at least Miura has stopped giving it attention. [...] Has anyone else ever noticed this, or stopped to think about it before?

I agree with Walter. We're not shown this everytime because it'd be quite redundant if we were. In the same vein, when Guts kills the first Makara they encounter, on the beach, we're not shown it transforming directly, but after a few panels you can see that it's reverted to a whale. The transforming process of apostles is sometimes skipped as well. For example we haven't directly seen Locus fuse with his horse yet.

Jaze1618 said:
correct, but it all things were consistent I'd expect to see a the clouds darken and at least a strong breeze to blow through the fore ground as all of this is happening.

When it came to take Wyald there were no dark clouds and no strong breeze. The phenomenon was impressive because Guts & co were watching it intently, but it's not something that couldn't happen in the background of a fight. There's also the matter of delay: the Vortex might not always come to take them immediately.

Griffith said:
On the subject of Apostle deaths and the appearance of the vortex, I think we're trying too hard to apply hard fast rules here. Their absence could simply mean it doesn't always happen, or at least isn't always a spectacle. Even the Count and Wyald were relatively unique cases in and of themselves, and just going by what we actually see, it's really been the overall norm that we don't see anything like that happen when an Apostle is killed, the special occasion being when we do.

Actually the Count's case is even more of an exception because the Vortex took him on its front door and not in the material world. And that's why it happened the way it did (he was literally dragged into it, screaming and "kicking"). I'm quite sure myself that apostles always return to the Vortex of Souls upon death, however like you say it doesn't necessarily have to be a spectacle. Wyald is the only case we've seen that we can rely on for a comparison, and it was showcased as an especially terrifying supernatural event for the humans looking at it happening.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
I don't want to keep going on the vortex thing but what if it does make an appearance and Ganishka is so big that not even God (haha) could eat him all and the shit just blows up every where depositing all of the evil or what not into the world.

You're all assuming that Ganishka didn't tap into the Vortex of Souls itself to transform in the first place. Yet the fact he's become a multitude somewhat hints at this.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
I was thinking about Rakshas... all though he was exiled from Silat's tribe I wonder if Ganishka was there during that time. If he was, why did he get rid of Rakshas? I person with his talents could do very well serving for him. :ganishka:

It's a good question, but I think you're assuming a little too much stuff. For one thing, we don't know who exiled the Bakiraka, nor if Rakshas was banished before or after it happened (or consequently, if it was his fault for example). We also don't know what Ganishka's role was in all of this, but Silat didn't seem to think he was related from what we've seen of them interacting. And the one who banished Rakshas from the clan was most likely its leader (Silat's father?) and not the Kushan emperor.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Even the Count and Wyald were relatively unique cases in and of themselves, and just going by what we actually see, it's really been the overall norm that we don't see anything like that happen when an Apostle is killed, the special occasion being when we do.
Note that those are also among the first apostle deaths we see, so it's as if Miura was setting up the rules for us back then. Now, we know what happens.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Noted, but I'll also note that the actual first two Apostle deaths we see are the "alien queen" and the Snake Baron, and there's no dramatic vortex shot, and that the same goes for the majority of Apostle deaths from volume 1 until now. So, it sounds like we're the ones setting up rules here, not Miura. We know what happens to Apostles when they die because it's been stated and demonstrated, but beyond that it doesn't mean we should assume it happens the same way every time based on what don't see, as even the Count's and Wyald's cases were unique. Again, it's been a special occasion when we see it so dramatically rather than an omission when we don't. So far, it's more the exception than the rule.

That being said, I'd be interested in seeing the phenomenon come into play when multiple and many Apostles are killed. All their bodies being connected to the astral world and dying at the same time in close proximity, say if Ganishka stepped on enough to cover the bottom of his foot, could theoretically... open a big can of demonic worms. =)

Personally, when everyone began to talk about past apostles who have died minus the Vortex it got me thinking.

I was going to say that perhaps the Vortex only appears in the certain layers. Like when the Godhand was summoned by the Count. (At that time I'd say everyone there was in the Interstice, Nexus and Vortex layers. Since one's ego can only occupy three.) But if I try and follow that logic it makes no sense that it would appear during the Wylad encounter because wouldn't that mean 4 layers were being occupied somehow!?

It's been plainly stated that the layers were merging since Griffith's reincarnation. So since Ganishka plunged directly into the Abyss, and since now he's trampling around the Physical plain of existence, is it safe to say all the layers have finally merged?

Someone save my brain...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griff, I know what  you're saying but I don't understand on what basis you believe one apostle's death should be any different from another's. An apostle is an apostle is an apostle. And as we've reiterated here several times, we know what happens when they die. Just because we don't see it happen "on screen" every single time doesn't mean the rules are different.

Also, I don't see what's so unique about Wyald's death, other than the fact that it's witnessed by all the main characters. The Count's death sure, I understand it's different -- but that's a special case, because he was in a different dimension at the time (and by proximity, closer to the Vortex, though I don't think inter-dimensional travel should really be a factor. We're talking about a giant swirl of soul/corpses with an apparently sentient mind).

That being said, I'd be interested in seeing the phenomenon come into play when multiple and many Apostles are killed. All their bodies being connected to the astral world and dying at the same time in close proximity, say if Ganishka stepped on enough to cover the bottom of his foot, could theoretically... open a big can of demonic worms. =)
Yeah, it's going to be something new, for sure. And it's exciting :guts:

Proj2501 said:
But if I try and follow that logic it makes no sense that it would appear during the Wylad encounter
Correct, the logic doesn't seem to pan out that way.

It's been plainly stated that the layers were merging since Griffith's reincarnation. So since Ganishka plunged directly into the Abyss, and since now he's trampling around the Physical plain of existence, is it safe to say all the layers have finally merged?
Not necessarily. I haven't seen any unicorns yet  :slan:

Griffith

Walter said:
Griff, I know what you're saying but I don't understand on what basis you believe one apostle's death should be any different from another's. An apostle is an apostle is an apostle. And as we've reiterated here several times, we know what happens when they die. Just because we don't see it happen "on screen" every single time doesn't mean the rules are different.

You have even less evidence that they all die the same way. I can't really say how it is one way or another every time, and my point is neither can you beyond where they go when they die. It's just another example of needless dogma, and speaking of which, where is it written all Apostles are equal anyway? They clearly aren't in several regards we can already see, including how we've seen them expire, and possibly in other ways we aren't aware of. My problem isn't with your personal interpretation, which is basically the same as mine, semantics aside, but the so-called "rules" as I'm hearing them, because they're our rules, not Miura's, and I don't think they should be stated so bluntly based on... what? The absence of evidence as proof by omission? There's too many inconsistencies and exceptions to put rules down in ink. As we've seen again and again, we only know what we know until Miura shows us something different and even contradictory to what we thought we knew. I know what we've seen and haven't, and that's exactly why I'm choosing to leave the door open and not get stuck on one way.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
As we've seen again and again, we only know what we know until Miura shows us something different and even contradictory to what we thought we knew
I can live with that. My revised position is then that until proven otherwise, I will continue to believe what Femto and Slan discussed in vol 3 as to what happens when Apostles die.

As for why I believe all apostles are ultimately treated the same, it's because they all underwent the same process of transformation, from human to apostle. So, it follows suit that the same "rules" apply to all apostle deaths.

Griffith

Walter said:
I can live with that. My revised position is then that until proven otherwise, I will continue to believe what Femto and Slan discussed in vol 3 as to what happens when Apostles die.

I'm not arguing against that, which is why I've taken care to reiterate it, or what happens to them, but how, or how we think about it. I just don't like defining something we're not seeing in the majority of cases as if it were there, I guess my main hangup is with the word "omission." To me it sounds like a bigger assumption, basically that it's a fact that a bunch of portals have been opening up and Apostles are being sucked inside but we just aren't seeing it... and nobody is taking notice either. Miura isn't showing it happen for whatever reason, so I'm not taking anything for granted.

Maybe they flash red and disappear. :troll:

Aazealh said:
Actually the Count's case is even more of an exception because the Vortex took him on its front door and not in the material world. And that's why it happened the way it did (he was literally dragged into it, screaming and "kicking").

This is a great point. However I wonder why it wasn't a terrifying spectacle for Godot, Rickert, Erica, Isidro, Farnese or Serpico during volume 14 or 26-27 assuming they were all within the appropriate proximity of the body to witness it and that it happened after an amount of time elapsed relative to the amount of time it took for after Wyald's death (maybe some pretty big assumptions).

Griffith said:
Noted, but I'll also note that the actual first two Apostle deaths we see are the "alien queen" and the Snake Baron, and there's no dramatic vortex shot, and that the same goes for the majority of Apostle deaths from volume 1 until now.

Griffith, It didn't look like anyone has mentioned this yet, but I'm not sure that with the Alien queen or the snake baron, that we actually see them dead. (I'm hazy on the alien queen I know we hear an explosion from far away, and then we see guts again, but I'm not sure if she's seen dead, or if he's already left, in anycase I could see that perhaps he left immediately after and didn't stay to witness the spectacle it if were to happen.)

Regarding the snake baron, I don't have volume one in front of me but I'm pretty sure guts leave him as he's burning to death and that it's insinuated that he's making his last croak while dying the last time we see him. But we don't see him lifeless after that as Guts immediately leaves.

Minus those two possible details. I agree that we don't know for sure that it happens every time no matter what. Although it is probably easily assumed by the majority of casual readers, and it is my hunch is that it is miura's intention that it be implied as a Constant. But I don't know for sure.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
My new explanation is that the worlds are merging and the principles of the old world are ending :badbone:

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Jaze1618 said:
Griffith, It didn't look like anyone has mentioned this yet, but I'm not sure that with the Alien queen or the snake baron, that we actually see them dead. (I'm hazy on the alien queen I know we hear an explosion from far away, and then we see guts again, but I'm not sure if she's seen dead, or if he's already left, in anycase I could see that perhaps he left immediately after and didn't stay to witness the spectacle it if were to happen.)

Regarding the snake baron, I don't have volume one in front of me but I'm pretty sure guts leave him as he's burning to death and that it's insinuated that he's making his last croak while dying the last time we see him. But we don't see him lifeless after that as Guts immediately leaves.

Minus those two possible details. I agree that we don't know for sure that it happens every time no matter what. Although it is probably easily assumed by the majority of casual readers, and it is my hunch is that it is miura's intention that it be implied as a Constant. But I don't know for sure.

Im pretty sure they are dead. This isn't Shonen material like Naruto, One Piece, or anything like that where people don't die. If they were truly alive, I think we would have seen them serving under Griffiths Neo Hawks army by now.

Griffith

Jaze1618 said:
This is a great point. However I wonder why it wasn't a terrifying spectacle for Godot, Rickert, Erica, Isidro, Farnese or Serpico during volume 14 or 26-27 assuming they were all within the appropriate proximity of the body to witness it and that it happened after an amount of time elapsed relative to the amount of time it took for after Wyald's death (maybe some pretty big assumptions).

Possibly because it didn't, not like that anyway. Or perhaps because they weren't present when it happened.

Jaze1618 said:
Griffith, It didn't look like anyone has mentioned this yet, but I'm not sure with the Alien queen or the snake baron that we actually see them dead. (I'm hazy on the alien queen I know we hear an explosion from far away, and then we see guts again, but I'm not sure if she's seen dead, or if he's already left, in anycase I could see that perhaps he left immediately after and didn't stay to witness the spectacle it if were to happen.)

We see her lying there dead, and with Guts a little distance away, having put all of his gear back on before walking off. So it wasn't like there wasn't time, which we'll get into in a bit. In the case of the Snake Baron, it's not as solid, after he croaks and burns, we see Guts walking in the distance, with Puck still possibly in the Baron's vicinity if anything were to happen.

Re-examining the Wyald example, after Zodd throws him to the ground, he exchanges a few words with Guts and flies off, they're still watching him go when the demons start coming out of Wyald. So, it wasn't long after Wyald died that he was taken, I think enough time in both examples above or volume 14. Anyway, those are from the very first issue, where Guts is having sex with an Apostle, so I'm not going to pin my point onto those examples too much.

Jaze1618 said:

I'll play devil's advocate for possible variation then, rather than any sort of constancy other than they die and go to the vortex. For the Count it could be argued that he was instantaneously taken at the time his body died, this could be argued as well for Wyald if you assume he expired shortly after being broken and thrown down (you could also make counter-arguments concerning the duration in which he was mortally wounded). Of course, nothing of the sort happens instantaneously in the other examples, meaning either timing varies, or mode of reclamation to the vortex, or both. In any case, there's room for variation in the timing, fashion that they die (instantly or long term), and way they are taken to the vortex. I don't think that assuming every Apostle death looks like Wyald's is the most prudent or conservative assumption then, especially since it raises more questions than it answers, like why doesn't anybody notice so many simultaneous nearby occurrences at Flora's (you could further wonder why this wouldn't cause an even larger event),and why don't the demons grab after someone branded like Guts, etc. So, either it happened later, or in low-key fashion. Examples with a basis in the story or when Rochine's bugs and the Daka are killed, they transform back into human form like we've seen Apostle corpses do, but there's no event associated with it that, and from what we've heard they get to the vortex just as well as anybody.

Anyway, I'm not endorsing any particular scenario, I just don't think we should be rigid in our thinking about it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Man, I can't even remember what spawned this argument, but I honestly think it's a lot of trouble considering the fact all parties agree on the important stuff. :idea:

Griffith said:
We know what happens to Apostles when they die because it's been stated and demonstrated

This. We know it because it's been stated and demonstrated, exactly. The details of what we don't see, well... We don't know them. =)

Could take longer, could be low-key, who knows? The biggest question this could raise is what made Wyald's case special. Why it was so impressive, instead of him just discreetly reverting.

Proj2501 said:
I was going to say that perhaps the Vortex only appears in the certain layers. Like when the Godhand was summoned by the Count.

But it appeared for Wyald, so that's not possible.

Proj2501 said:
(At that time I'd say everyone there was in the Interstice, Nexus and Vortex layers. Since one's ego can only occupy three.)

You're basing yourself on Griffith's old diagram, which I wouldn't recommend. =) Besides, it says you can only go through 3 layers, not occupy them. Big difference. Anyway, the "Nexus" isn't actually a layer of the astral world (the word doesn't even appear in the manga). Neither is the Vortex of Souls, actually (it's a region within a layer; complicated, eh?). We know of 3 different worlds: the material one, the astral one, and the ideal one. The astral world is composed of various layers. The Interstice is its shallowest layer, the closest to the corporeal world (a kind of border between the two). The hard question for us, what we don't know yet, is: where does the ideal world interact with the others? Is it connected to the astral world through the Abyss?

So in short, at that time they were all deep in the astral world (what precise layer within it, we don't know). That's why the Count's case is special compared to the rest. The others all took place in the material world.

Proj2501 said:

It's the worlds that have been merging. What specific layers are affected within the astral world is unknown at the moment. Anyway, the worlds haven't fully merged yet at this point. It could very well be imminent, though.

Jaze1618 said:

Like you say, those are assumptions. For example in the case of the apostle that Guts killed at Godot's house, right after the kill the scene cuts to Guts leaving. We have no way to know what happened or not, or if they saw it.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Im pretty sure they are dead. This isn't Shonen material like Naruto, One Piece, or anything like that where people don't die. If they were truly alive, I think we would have seen them serving under Griffiths Neo Hawks army by now.

I'm pretty sure he simply meant not dead yet, and not that they somehow survived.

Griffith said:
For the Count it could be argued that he was instantaneously taken at the time his body died

The thing with the Count is that we don't see his material body reverting as his soul and the associated evil power is taken away, but his soul being taken directly. I can't stress enough how different it is to me. I don't think it should even be used in this debate at all.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Man, I can't even remember what spawned this argument, but I honestly think it's a lot of trouble considering the fact all parties agree on the important stuff.

Just another good excuse to re-experience these scenes and, hopefully, understand them better. :griffnotevil:

Aazealh said:
You're basing yourself on Griffith's old diagram, which I wouldn't recommend. =)

Haha, I wouldn't recommend it either! I had the right :idea: though.

Aazealh said:
The thing with the Count is that we don't see his material body reverting as his soul and the associated evil power is taken away, but his soul being taken directly. I can't stress enough how different it is to me. I don't think it should even be used in this debate at all.

Yeah, I was using it in part to illustrate that point, that it was different. The other part was a thought parallel to the discussion about how their deaths work in relation to time and being taken away by contrasting those different examples, but that requires a bit of speculation, and the main point to be recognized is that while an Apostle death is happening in both cases, they're certainly not like situations.

Aazealh said:
I'm pretty sure he simply meant not dead yet, and not that they somehow survived.

Yes that's exactly what I meant, they were not dead yet or for very long at all when we last see them. I don't think either one survived somehow.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
You're all assuming that Ganishka didn't tap into the Vortex of Souls itself to transform in the first place. Yet the fact he's become a multitude somewhat hints at this.
This little gem was tucked into Aaz's post at the top of the thread, but was somewhat buried by me and Griff's little argument. I'd like to focus on this idea for a bit with a few things I've found that could lend support to it. Obviously, we won't know for sure until the near future.

Since Ganiskha's transmogrification, it's been a little unclear exactly what he was composed of. The description Ganishka himself gives us isn't entirely reliable for a number of reasons (he's virtually insane, he's likely no expert of the dimensions beyond). But there are hints strewn about ep 295 about the nature of what he is ...

[quote author=Volume 33]
Ganishka: I reached the abyss of the evil world, and have gained ... power.

Daiba: ...How much evil does he have residing within his body... No, the Lord Emperor himself is now the evil world itself!! It's overflowing... The evil world is overflowing...!!
[/quote]
and these lines resonate with some early descriptions of the Vortex of Souls....

[quote author=Volume 3]
Puck: It's enourmous ...! an endless swirl of consciousness...?! Endless and evil... it's as if all the evil in the world were gathered here.

Femto: Before long, you won't even be able to preserve any remnants of your individual self. Like a drop of water, you'll simply dissolve, becoming no more than another swell in an ocean of dark souls.
[/quote]

Beyond that, just look at the two -- massive bodies of flesh-like substance merged as one massive consciousness. If Ganishka went down deep enough and was able to tap into the Vortex of Souls, and "infect" it with his own consciousness, and came back (that's a lot of ifs, I realize), I imagine it could look something like this. And slowly, Ganishka loses his grip on his ego, either driven mad with power or simply drowned out by the swell of souls in him.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:
Beyond that, just look at the two -- massive bodies of flesh-like substance merged as one massive consciousness. If Ganishka went down deep enough and was able to tap into the Vortex of Souls, and "infect" it with his own consciousness, and came back (that's a lot of ifs, I realize), I imagine it could look something like this. And slowly, Ganishka loses his grip on his ego, either driven mad with power or simply drowned out by the swell of souls in him.

That makes sense Walter! And I think the fact that Ganishka is starting to lose his mind (identity) supports this idea, making it seem like Miura has made an obvious connection

Aazealh said:
But it appeared for Wyald, so that's not possible.

Maybe it's because he was killed by another apostle. Because with all the apostle slaying we have witnessed thanks to Guts, it is kinda weird we never saw all that stuff again, although it doesn't rule it out like you demonstrated.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:

Good call, Walter. This discussion is getting me really excited. Can't wait until next week! :serpico:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
A.K said:
Maybe it's because he was killed by another apostle. Because with all the apostle slaying we have witnessed thanks to Guts, it is kinda weird we never saw all that stuff again, although it doesn't rule it out like you demonstrated.

But we've seen Zodd kill another apostle in volume 26 and nothing happened (at least that we saw). Besides, it's a good idea but why would that make a difference? I'd understand if Wyald had died through magic or something similar, but Zodd just broke him in half using brute force.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Sorry if its been suggested before but what if when Ganishka made his little trip down the rabbit hole that the Idea of Evil was saying, "Welp, while your here let me attach all this crap on you so when you die you will drop all of it like a piñata."

He is like a very big fedex package of evil.

This whole event is huge, no matter what angle you look at it from. How will Griffith kill Ganishka? What will the two say to each other, why is Rakshas there? What will happen after Ganishka dies?

I've been wondering about all that, now I'm wondering what Skully is up to? Wouldn't this scenario be of interest to him. :SK:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
I've been wondering about all that, now I'm wondering what Skully is up to? Wouldn't this scenario be of interest to him.  :SK:
He'd look very out of place and alone here. This isn't his time to make a stand, I don't think.

BTW gents, just one more week and we'll be reading 303  :isidro:

Top Bottom