MMO Talk

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Hello all, the residential MMO whore is wanting to make a thread where we talk about current and up and coming MMO's. I am going to start off with the one that I am currently playing, Darkfall.

http://www.darkfallonline.com/

Darkfall is a made by a small Greekish company called Adventurine. Its a game that is being compared to the likes of Ultima Online. There are no levels or exp but the more you use your skills, the higher you get. Lets go over the good and bad things that I have observed.

Good:-Not restricted to one class
-Player run economy
-Not a dumbed down MMO
-You need skill, tactics, and perception to accomplish things.
-No auto swing for anything
-Armor has an affect on your stats, ability for your skills, and how fast you can run

Bad:-GUI needs a lot of work
-Currently has a journal system to keep track of your quests, friends, and kills but its through an internal web browser that sucks.
-Some features are currently disabled since they do not work or are not implemented yet.
-Hacking ranging from speedhacks, teleportation, invulnerability are in the game unfortunately (I got ganked by a group of 5 guys who caught up with me on my mount this morning before work . :sad: )
-Delayed mob spawning.
-MOB AI is retarded and easy to exploit.

PvE:
You can find mobs practically anywhere in the game but the catch is... they wont be there waiting for you. If you know that there is a spawn of Orks where you are at, they will spawn there after about a minute or so of waiting. Not sure why they did this but it can make things a bit exciting if you are fighting off a ganker or if you are the ganker... then to see about 3 to 5 mobs start rushing you and/or shooting arrows or spells at you. Mobs of entirely different strengths can be clumped together so you really have to pay attention to your surroundings.

With in the game you have your standard Health, Stamina, and Mana bar. Everything in the game (almost everything I guess) uses stamina. Doesn't matter if its spells, it uses stamina... If you jump or sprint, it drains your stamina a lot so you can't be all willy nilly like with it. This proves true not just in PvE but more importantly in PvP.

Mob's are really stupid in this game. You can solo just about anything if you know how to use the terrain that you are around. My friend and I decided to go hunt some Hill Giants near our town. We found them and went onto this rock. These giants are huge and it was funny watching them chase us to the rock and once we got onto it, fall back and just stand there while we pelted them with arrows and magic missiles. They had a lot of HP and it took a while to take them down but they did. It was funny though that by the time we killed the three in the area, that they had respawned... so started the chase of one of us being the bate and kiting the three while the other grabbed all the loot. It was a good time to be playing Yakity Sax's.

With that all mobs can be skinned for various things, mainly for regents used in weapon crafting, armor crafting, enchanting, and alchemy. All the best weapons so far are all crafted and take many PvE components and gathering materials like ore, wood, and reagents.

All in all the PvE is so bad and it can keep you awake. Also another thing to keep those of you who want to be semi safe if you decide to play this game is that all the start towns/capitals have guard towers in them that will hit people that try to attack you (that you are not at war with) or those of other races. You can use this to your advantage actually by finding two people that are fighting who are at war with each other. While they are fighting get in their way and get hit by them. Since you are not at war with them the towers will attack them and you have a chance to get all of their loot! :rakshas:

With that there is a bank system in game and its universal so if you put your crap in one bank, you can access it anywhere else in the world.

PvP:

The bread and butter of this game. As with many games you can get create your own guild's and align yourself with other guilds to become super guilds! With that if you are at war with someone they can attack you even in the start towns with out repercussions. So unless you are going to war, hunting monsters, or ganking, keep all of your good stuff in the bank.

After you have created a guild you can scrounge up enough money and get a clan stone. This will give you the ability to make your own town at various locations in the world. Once you get your place in the world you can set your bindstone (Hearth, recall area, what ever) to there to cut down on travel time. From there you can start to build up your town with various services like a smelting building so you can make metal ingots our of that iron ore you got, or a fighters guild so you can learn more melee skills.

With guilds you can declare war with each other and thus take over their city. The nice thing about this is that if you destroy their clan stone, you can set up yours and take over all that shit :guts: .

Another system that is in the game is an alignment system. You start off at 0 and if you hit a person of your own race, you will go grey which puts into an attackable state by your own race for a short time. If you do not attack after that you will return to normal after about 10 to 15 seconds. If you kill someone of your own race you get negative alignment and drop down 8 points. If at anytime you fall below into the negatives you turn red and will be attackable by your own race and guard towers, so this means that you cannot return to the starter towns until you get rid of it. You rid yourself of the negative alignment by killing other races and finishing them off. Each kill is worth 8 positive alignment points.

There are several ways to function in game if you are a murder but each is its own risk... .one way is to go to a chaos stone. its a usually a neutral NPC town where anyone can bind to. Another way is that there are places called Wilderness banks where its just a small small encampment with a merchant npc and a bank. Both areas can be good places to get trapped and to spring traps.

Items:
Weapons come in all shapes and sizes and act differently. Currently two handed swords are the flavor of the month since they have the longest reach and hit hard. Polearms used to be the hottest thing since they came with an inherit push-back. That gets annoying though if you are chasing runners and what not. I use great-axes cause I want to be cool which they hit the hardest i believe. Daggers are worthless since being right on top of people is very difficult and right now Archery is king.

There are two different views in game when fighting. If you are using siege weapons like cannons, archery, or magic, you will be in a straight up first person mode. If you are in melee mode, you will be sent to a 3rd person mode with limited zoom back abilities. I keep stuff for any situation... if I wear down my stamina when fighting mobs or people, i switch to my magic staff and cast my Mana to Stamina spell then go back to hitting stuff with my bow.

Potions are in game and they do what you expect for each bar. There are currently three levels of effectiveness from minor, medium, and large which heal for various amounts. There are timers on the potions so you cannot use them at all times.

Food also plays a role in game since it helps your health and magic recovery. Most items are player crafted and you can get tools and some reagents to create these items from NPC vendors. Other you need to get from mining, lumber jacking, fishing, skinning, or by some other means.

I know this was rather long winded but if this has gotten you interested in this game, lets talk about it! This game is not for everyone. It can be mean and cruel and make you cry if you do not think before you act. You could lose litterly everything in 30 seconds if you are not aware of your surroundings. I enjoy this game because its not easy and takes for ever to skill up things. I enjoy the tension and its a good break from easier games like WoW and what not. So if this sounds like your type of game check out the link from above! :serpico:

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
I've played random MMO's off and on over the past few years. I don't even remember which one I started with though. The first time I remember enjoying one though was with Ragnarok Online, but that was because my friend had his own server, so I knew everyone that played on it either IRL or had known them online for a few years. That was in 10th grade I think and somewhere in between there I played some random generic Korean RPGs like Flyff and some other ones I can't remember the name of for the life of me. In my Senior year in High School one of my friends got almost everyone he knew to start playing WoW on a private server called MentalJesus, which was once again only really that fun because there were like 15 people on that I actually knew in real life at all times. After that whole thing blew over and I stopped being addicted to it, I spent the next few years playing random Korean free MMO's again. I think my lowest point was when I played Maple Story for about a week :judo:. The last MMO I got into for more than a few days was La Tale, another generic Korean MMO. Other ones I've played at some point in time:
EVE Online
Ghost Soul
Silk Road
Shin Megami Tensei Online

Every once and a while I get an itch to play one, so I download the newest flavor of the month generic piece of shit and play for about a week and then lose interest completely until the next itch.
Sorry for the long post, I've had the itch recently and I'm really trying not to download Generic Korean MMO number 23343, so it helps to get this off of my chest.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I was really interested in Darkfall something like 7 years ago. It was like a dream game. It's cool they finally managed to release it, but I've pretty much lost interest in MMORPGs since then.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Aazealh said:
I was really interested in Darkfall something like 7 years ago. It was like a dream game. It's cool they finally managed to release it, but I've pretty much lost interest in MMORPGs since then.
No one truly loses that flame Aazealh. Its somewhere deep within your :idea: . The right game just has to come your way!

For Darklink286, check out Atlantica Online. It's a free to play game that has an interesting combat system.
Here is a YouTube link for the combat portion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34HtuBM8KFI

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
No one truly loses that flame Aazealh. Its somewhere deep within your :idea: . The right game just has to come your way!

Oh, I don't disagree with that. But the right game is so ideal it's unlikely to ever come into existence.

I play on Sylph. Honestly, I think it's sort of a backwater server of sorts.

7 jobs to 75, working on my 8th (Drg) and not trying to brag or anything, but outside of relics, I've got some pretty nice gear. I wish I could finish my Ares set though. Only the body and I can't find a Salvage group to save my life.

ZoddtheGod

Zodd the Immortal
CowTip said:
I play on Sylph. Honestly, I think it's sort of a backwater server of sorts.

7 jobs to 75, working on my 8th (Drg) and not trying to brag or anything, but outside of relics, I've got some pretty nice gear. I wish I could finish my Ares set though. Only the body and I can't find a Salvage group to save my life.
I play on Phoenix, Its a decent server. I only got Drk and Mnk to 75. :/ I'm working on unlocking Sea atm. You got the Ares body? :isidro:

X

Xem

I don't mean to be rude, but is that really all FFXI has to offer? Leveling and gear? Where's the intense PvP? I can't play an MMO without good PvP and that's partially why I've stuck with WoW. That and I'm a diehard Blizzard fan.

I guess it comes down to the fact that whenever I'm with FFXI fans, and believe me I used to be somewhat part of it (helped a friend play the game for over a year), it just seems so..... slow? boring? mundane? .... I just don't see the appeal to fighting a computer over and over again. Like, you fight a boss and defeat it, then you fight it again and surprise! surprise! you beat it again the exact same way. Where's the diversity?

With love and curiousity,
a dedicated PvP player

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
I can't play an MMO without good PvP and that's partially why I've stuck with WoW.

You're joking, right? :ganishka:

Let's leave it at the fact you're a diehard Blizzard fan.

ZoddtheGod

Zodd the Immortal
Deci said:
I don't mean to be rude, but is that really all FFXI has to offer? Leveling and gear? Where's the intense PvP? I can't play an MMO without good PvP and that's partially why I've stuck with WoW. That and I'm a diehard Blizzard fan.

I guess it comes down to the fact that whenever I'm with FFXI fans, and believe me I used to be somewhat part of it (helped a friend play the game for over a year), it just seems so..... slow? boring? mundane? .... I just don't see the appeal to fighting a computer over and over again. Like, you fight a boss and defeat it, then you fight it again and surprise! surprise! you beat it again the exact same way. Where's the diversity?

a dedicated PvP player

I don't mean to be rude either but WoW doesn't seem interesting to me at all. I heard that you can reach max level in about three weeks and you can't even change jobs. Wheres the replayability? FFXI has got a ok PVP but not alot of people play it for that. FFXI is all about the endgame stuff. It dosent really reward you at earlier levels but when you defeat your first Sky HNM (hyper notorious monster) It is more than worth it. Don't get me wrong I like Blizzard (still play Diablo II from time to time) but I heard WoW was way easier than FFXI. Most of my friends on my linkshell (I guess you would call it a guild) are ex-wow players and they say they much prefer FFXI. But I guess Its a matter of opinion.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ZoddtheGod said:
Don't get me wrong I like Blizzard (still play Diablo II from time to time) but I heard WoW was way easier than FFXI.

It can't even compare dude, you have no idea. WoW is painless, it was meant for casual gamers, and that's why it's successful.

ZoddtheGod

Zodd the Immortal
Aazealh said:
It can't even compare dude, you have no idea. WoW is painless, it was meant for casual gamers, and that's why it's successful.
I can't really badmouth it too much cause I havent really played WoW but that's what I heard. I've been playing FFXI for about four years and I only got two jobs to 75. :judo: Still fun though.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ZoddtheGod said:
I can't really badmouth it too much cause I havent really played WoW but that's what I heard. I've been playing FFXI for about four years and I only got two jobs to 75. :judo: Still fun though.

Well it's not necessarily bad, it allows people not to sink too much time in it, but the difficulty is just not the the same level. Let's not forget when comparing those 2 games that WoW isn't from the same generation. It was built from EQ and other games of that era as their replacement, and was incredibly successful in that regard.

X

Xem

Aazealh said:
You're joking, right? :ganishka:

Let's leave it at the fact you're a diehard Blizzard fan.

I won't deny that there's flaws. Many, many, many flaws.... but I still thoroughly enjoy it. Before any expansions were released I was completely one-hundred percent satisfied with it. No question. And even now, I'll run into some of the more over-powered classes for my class... such as a Death Knight or a Paladin.... and you know what? I fuckin' ruin their day usually. Play-style is still a huge part of the game, and simply being more skilled will very easily win the match for you, regardless of gear, level, or class.

I don't mean to be rude either but WoW doesn't seem interesting to me at all. I heard that you can reach max level in about three weeks and you can't even change jobs. Wheres the replayability? FFXI has got a ok PVP but not alot of people play it for that. FFXI is all about the endgame stuff. It dosent really reward you at earlier levels but when you defeat your first Sky HNM (hyper notorious monster) It is more than worth it. Don't get me wrong I like Blizzard (still play Diablo II from time to time) but I heard WoW was way easier than FFXI. Most of my friends on my linkshell (I guess you would call it a guild) are ex-wow players and they say they much prefer FFXI. But I guess Its a matter of opinion.

I'll completely agree with you that it comes down to opinion. However....

We have duel spec's now. Meaning you can completely change the nature of your character practically at whim now. You're a protection warrior who tanks bosses? Cool, in a complete instant you can switch your talent tree so you're an arms warrior who's built to PvP. What is changing jobs anyway.... you can always make a new character and create a new job. Same thing.

Replayability is a silly topic to bring up here. There's maybe 100 different quests in each zone, and nowadays, you only need to do about 20 of them. That and Blizzard is releasing new content for beginning zones almost monthly.

About end content. Don't even know where to get started honestly. New content every couple months? Items literally only available for a short period of time? Achievements? Hero class? Blizzard and WoW focus their entire attention almost entirely to the end content.

d WoW was way easier than FFXI

When it comes to PvE content, yes I'm sure that's right... in some respect. WoW is a much faster game, whereas FFXI requires an immeasurable amount of patience. WoW is intense PvE wise, but happens quickly. FFXI is boring (imo), and happens slowly.

Once again, a matter of opinion.

ZoddtheGod

Zodd the Immortal
Aazealh said:
Well it's not necessarily bad, it allows people not to sink too much time in it, but the difficulty is just not the the same level. Let's not forget when comparing those 2 games that WoW isn't from the same generation. It was built from EQ and other games of that era as their replacement, and was incredibly successful in that regard.
It would probably be even more successful if Blizzard would've bothered with consoles. :serpico:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
I won't deny that there's flaws. Many, many, many flaws.... but I still thoroughly enjoy it. Before any expansions were released I was completely one-hundred percent satisfied with it. No question. And even now, I'll run into some of the more over-powered classes for my class... such as a Death Knight or a Paladin.... and you know what? I fuckin' ruin their day usually. Play-style is still a huge part of the game, and simply being more skilled will very easily win the match for you, regardless of gear, level, or class.

I'm not saying the game's bad or anything (and everything you're saying applies to most MMORPGs anyway), just that it's not a PvP reference. Really not. Hardcore PvPers would laugh in your face if you said otherwise, believe me. And insult you, probably. :ganishka:

X

Xem

ZoddtheGod said:
Hey theres something I've always wondered about WoW, what is the best dd job meleewise? :???:

Depends on your play-style really.

They recently buffed up arms warriors pretty nicely, charging opponents every 10 seconds or so with a guaranteed critical hit on a couple extremely powerful abilities.

Retribution Paladins are incredibly nasty with their health/mana regen combined with multiple attacks all at once (overpowered actually)...

Death Knights are amazing, being the only heroic class at the moment, can deal immense melee damage instantly on top of having lots of damage over time effects...

Rogues, though requiring a lot of elusive ability to play effectively, can keep a player stunned until death if played properly, and if not, they can vanish and reopen the fight on their accord... which if done properly will almost guarantee victory in most cases.

Feral Druids... don't even know where to start! They can match the damage of a rogue easily, but oh wait, they can shapeshift out of most situations, heal themselves, instantly become a meatshield if necessary, or simply travel form and run away to wait for a more opportune time to attack. Slippery fuckers.

Shamans are now somewhat a mystery to me as far as melee goes since almost all Shamans choose to be healers or casters, but every once in a while I'll run into a melee Shaman that knows his business. Still though, not really too threatening.... as far as I know.

All n all, if you want to be an effective melee class without acquiring at least a decent amount of skill I'd probably recommend a Paladin or a Death Knight.... probably a Death Knight first, though since it's a hero class it does require you to get a different class to at least level 70 before making. If you want a challenging melee class to play I recommend Druid or a Rogue, since their most powerful abilities require you to be behind your target and are based extremely on timing.... very situational classes.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Deci said:

a dedicated PvP player
A dedicated PvP player huh? You need to jump on the real PvP bandwagon and either play, EVE-Online, Darkfall, WURM, or Mortal Online (when it comes out). All of those games have very harsh pvp risks if you happen to die. I love Darkfall right now since it makes you pay for not being prepared and mismanagement.

As for your original question, it could be that people invest so much time that its hard to give it up. Also the social aspect, Iv made some good friends over at WoW and it was hard to leave the game knowing that it was the only way I could ever talk to them. Just a couple of things that keep people to their MMO.

I just started playing Requiem Online.

http://www.playrequiem.com/

gameplay vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Koj-66eZrHc

My first impression was that it looks like the claymore anime from the vid but there are males and other races to choose from as well. With the horror theme + the gore it reminds me of Diablo too, and the best part is its free!

A little late to jump on the WoW vs. FFXI argument, but for me, I stick with FFXI for the story more than anything else. Out of any MMO out there, FFXI really blows any other game I've seen out of the water as far as story content goes. Honestly, you could disassemble the whole game, take the story and turn it into a fantastic single player console game without having to change much. They really succeeded  there in my opinion. I have a few relatives that are hardcore into WoW, but even they tell me that at the end of the game, all you have to do is either PVP or raids and that you can get a max level character in under two weeks and it's not even that difficult. You say there's hundreds of quests, but how many of those are "Go kill X monsters and return to me"?

FFXI is definitely the slower paced of the games, but I'd argue that the payoff for succeeding probably far surpasses what you can get out of WoW if you're a hardcore MMO player. That and there's honestly a LOT to do in FFXI that ranges from casual to no-lifers if you look for it, the only thing is, FFXI is very much a social game coming off the heels of Everquest whereas WoW is so much easier just to stick to yourself if you want to. Again though, different strokes for different folks.

Going back to an earlier question Zodd, yeah I managed to land an Ares body.
A few of my in game accomplishments: Ares body, Adaman Hauberk, Full Homam, Novio Earring ~60 pieces of AF2, 7 75's all fairly decently geared and somewhat merited (SCH PLD NIN BLU WAR PUP SMN), finished all of ZM, CoP, Aht Urghan, Rank 10 city missions in all 3 nations, the new mini expansion, the wings missions up to the current point, cleared all Dynamis zones (except tavnazia grrrr), finished all 4 salvage bosses, beat Odin a good number of times, spent too much time in sky and sea... the list continues...

I'm missing a few nice things like d.ring, hauticlaire or any relics, but I'm pretty happy with my accomplishments. As I said before, I'm looking to level DRG next because my Ares feels sort of useless now that I've got that Neuvo body for my PLD =/ Considering blowing all my Einherjar points on a Valkyrie Fork. Anyway... I've rambled enough  :chomp:

tl;dr: I've spent a lot of time playing FFXI over the last 5.5 years.  :troll:

SaiyajinNoOuji

The story and in game cinematic of FF11 are cool but unfortunately now a days most American players just want to get their shiny epics and don't really care for story.

It's true. There's a lot of people who every time story is added just say how they hammer through the cutscenes. I'd like to wave my fist and call them uneducated hooligans, but I suppose that's the joy of an MMO. There's a lot of different paths you can take through most of them.

Top Bottom