I'm new here

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
If you're downloading and reading anything, be it a novel or comic, for free on the internet, you're most likely breaking all sorts of laws.  That's just common sense.  But I am glad to see that you're doing the right thing and ordering the manga from Amazon.  Check out Scanbot's signature for links on where to grab the Japanese episodes that haven't been released in the States yet.  After you're done catching up, join us in the Current Episodes thread. :serpico:

Wow, it's definitely 1000x better to read the thing with the book actually in your hand!  But now I'm bummed because after 28 there are no more English books available. :( 

So what do you guys do?  Buy the Japanese and read along with posted translations?  Translated scans?

Please don't bite my head off for asking!

BTW, SK himself looks waaay more awesome in print!!!!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you're appreciating the volumes! :SK:

-Dreams- said:
But now I'm bummed because after 28 there are no more English books available now.

They're released pretty quickly though, and we're only up to volume 33 in Japan right now, so Dark Horse will catch up quickly.

-Dreams- said:
Buy the Japanese and read along with posted translations?

Yup, exactly. That's the reason we post translations here in the first place. We frown (very much) on translated scans because they do not encourage people to purchase the actual books.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
-Dreams- said:
BTW, where do I figure out how to get the stuff from Japan. Is there an FAQ?
http://skullknight.net/encyclopedia/information/index.html

It's about 7 years old, but it still has info for Young Animal orders and Manga orders.
Contact your local Japanese Bookstore (search the yellow pages, or dial 411 if you don't know where it's located) and special order "Hakusensha's Young Animal". They'll likely have to order an annual subscription, because of the inexpensive price of individual issues (290 yen, or ~$3) but the high costs of shipping.
- Sasugabooks.com, or Amazon Japan can set you up with a mail-order subscription, and also sells the individual tankoubons (manga).

Now I'm sort of in a dilemma where I want to keep reading the story, but the English versions of Volumes 29 - 32 are coming out between May and December.  Why they stagger the releases seems gay to me.  >:(

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
-Dreams- said:
Why they stagger the releases seems gay to me.   >:(

Seriously, I mean why should we give them time to translate the material and print it out?  Sheesh. :schierke:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
-Dreams- said:
Now I'm sort of in a dilemma where I want to keep reading the story, but the English versions of Volumes 29 - 32 are coming out between May and December. Why they stagger the releases seems gay to me. >:(

They don't "stagger" the releases. One volume every two months is a pretty standard schedule in the industry. And once they'll have caught up with the Japanese edition you'll be waiting a lot longer for each volume anyway.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
-Dreams- said:
Couldn't they just put out all the recent volumes at once?

They have deadlines for other works as well. The translators have to do one volume at a time to at least keep it concise. I know, there have been several issues with Dark Horse even at the current pace. Imagine if they rush it as you have requested it?

You should actually be happy like they said. Once you catch up you're stuck waiting 2 weeks to 4 months for 20 pages and it's killer. Especially with how things are going right now! :puck:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
-Dreams- said:
Couldn't they just put out all the recent volumes at once?

No. No one does that. And it'd take longer than to prepare them all at once than to release them one after another anyway.

Th3Branded0ne said:
The translators have to do one volume at a time to at least keep it concise.

Please don't assert things about the translating schedule unless you know them for sure. And what's conciseness got to do with it? You think translating quickly results in verbosity?

I guess I will just have to be patient and savor the new English volumes as they come out. I still have like 8 back volumes to read, which should keep me busy!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
-Dreams- said:
I guess I will just have to be patient and savor the new English volumes as they come out. I still have like 8 back volumes to read, which should keep me busy!

You bet man. Don't be in a rush, enjoy each one as much as you can. :serpico:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
When you're done with what you have, re-read them. It's absolutely necessary to discuss things on this forum with any level of accuracy.

I didn't want to derail an already established thread (episode 306 specifically) so I'll bump this thread.

HEY THERE EVERYONE!!!
oh man, I'm really happy to be a part of this community, I've been thirsting for people to talk Berserk with.
Back in fall of '06 while working at a blockbuster I grabbed the first 2 disks of the anime in one sitting I got through both disks, and returned to work the next day to grab the rest of the series.... and ever since that faithful day I've been fixated on Berserk ::sigh:: not a unique story, I know but my god.

I've since tried to get as many of my friends as I can into this world, only a few have taken my suggestion and gotten into it. One in particular was the old assistant manager at my blockbuster, he and I would spend full shifts just yammering about Berserk... since I left the story around the end of last year I've been aching for people to discuss Berserk with... and that is why I'm so pleased to have joined this community.

I fear my posts will be few and far between since the amount of back log on here is overwhelming and I don't want to start off on the wrong foot by asking questions/posing theories that have already been touched upon.

for shits and giggles, one thing the ASM and I loved to do was set up inane improbable situations; "ok, who would win, Guts, or a T-rex" "OH, Guts by a long shot... how about Guts VS Lord Sauron"
::sigh:: the good ol' days. any way, I look forward to contributing to this community in the future, it's a pleasure to be among you folks

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Ions said:
HEY THERE EVERYONE!!!
oh man, I'm really happy to be a part of this community, I've been thirsting for people to talk Berserk with.

Hey, welcome to the forums! :serpico:

Ions said:
not a unique story, I know but my god.

I have to disagree, it's probably one of the most unique stories out there right now. Have you read any of the manga? The anime wasn't a very good adaptation, so you're missing out on a lot of cool (unique :void:) stuff if you haven't read any of the original work.

I too have had a hard time getting as many of my friends into berserk as I would have liked, two of my closest friends who would absolutely love it have always feigned to be too busy and I became at times obsessed with trying to find someone to read Berserk, and agree that it is the greatest thing ever. 5.5 years later good friends and one of the two referenced earlier have read it, and I think they all do agree with me, I finally feel vindicated and it feels good to have gotten over that need to prove myself.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ions said:
HEY THERE EVERYONE!!!

Hi Ions, welcome to SK.net! :serpico:

Ions said:
I fear my posts will be few and far between since the amount of back log on here is overwhelming and I don't want to start off on the wrong foot by asking questions/posing theories that have already been touched upon.

Thanks, I appreciate that (since I'm the one usually answering such questions :ganishka:). Still, don't hesitate to post in recent threads when you feel the need to. And if you have some questions you just can't find the answer to while using the forum's search engine, then you can always ask me by PM.

Rhombaad said:
I have to disagree, it's probably one of the most unique stories out there right now. Have you read any of the manga? The anime wasn't a very good adaptation, so you're missing out on a lot of cool (unique :void:) stuff if you haven't read any of the original work.

I think Ions meant his own story of how he discovered Berserk. At least I hope he did, otherwise he did start off on the wrong foot! :azan:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
I think Ions meant his own story of how he discovered Berserk. At least I hope he did, otherwise he did start off on the wrong foot! :azan:

Haha, my apologies, Ion, if that's what you meant. If not... :mozgus:

ya, my story of getting to Berserk seemed kind of common.

I have read the manga. I hesitated on reading it for a while cause I'm not a very steady reader... though sure enough its now on the list of my absolute favorite stories, as well as the longest book I've read (and have read numerous times)

Top Bottom