Similarities between Casca and Trinity from Matrix?

I was watching the Matrix today, and it dawned on me that Trinity might have been inspired, at least in part, by the Casca character. They both occupy roles as the only female among bands of male warriors. They even have the same hair style and type of face.

Are the Wachowski Bros fans of Berserk?

Oburi

All praise Grail
I don't see any physical similarities between Trinity and Casca at all, in fact they appear to be completely different. And Trinity is not the only female in a group of men. "Switch" was the other female on board the ship in the first matrix and there are many females in the sequels. There's no relation at all, IMO. Your trying to connect the two a little too hard i think dude.

I will produce to screencaps to illustrate my point.  I need to dig out my Matrix copies. Their hair, lips and nose are similar.

Trinity's devotion to Morpheus is very, very similar to Casca's devotion to Griffith.  Neo and Guts share a similar role as the female's new love interest and object of devotion. 

Oburi

All praise Grail
But Casca hated Guts at first, Trinity had loved Neo even before he knew she existed, so it's different already. The love/hate triangle is used all the time. You could say the same thing about Harry Potter characters. Maybe J.K. ROwling is a Berserk fan :isidro:

Well we do know for sure that the Wachowski Bros are anime and manga fans, since they basically ripped off large sections of GITS to make the Matrix. :)

Oburi

All praise Grail
-Dreams- said:
Well we do know for sure that the Wachowski Bros are anime and manga fans, since they basically ripped off large sections of GITS to make the Matrix. :)

Thats true. I would imagine there is a chance they have come across Berserk, given their heavy intrest in anime and manga, yet I don't think you will find evidence in their work, especially the Matrix trilogy.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
-Dreams- said:
I was watching the Matrix today, and it dawned on me that Trinity might have been inspired, at least in part, by the Casca character.

Matrix was inspired by many, many things, but I don't think Berserk is among them. There's enough strong female leads in the cyberpunk genre for your suggestion to be very unlikely. If we stick to the idea of a manga origin for the character (which you have no basis for, unless I'm mistaken), Motoko Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell would be a more plausible choice.

Furthermore, if you look at the storyboard, Trinity looks different from her depiction in the movie, with longer hair and general looks that are pretty much the opposite of Casca (and that's more indicative than Carrie-Anne Moss' face, something the creators couldn't plan in advance of casting her). And taken straight from IMDb.com: "Wachowski Bros. simply described Trinity as a woman in black leather in the script, but it was interpreted tremendously by costume designer Kym Barrett."

-Dreams- said:
I will produce to screencaps to illustrate my point. I need to dig out my Matrix copies. Their hair, lips and nose are similar.

Their hair is quite different, actually. And their skin color, too. Not that I find the rest resembling either.

-Dreams- said:
Trinity's devotion to Morpheus is very, very similar to Casca's devotion to Griffith.

No, I wouldn't say that. Morpheus was Trinity's mentor. In Casca's case it goes way beyond that.

-Dreams- said:
Neo and Guts share a similar role as the female's new love interest and object of devotion.

Casca was never "devoted" to Guts.

Casca was never "devoted" to Guts.

Guts and Neo share similar roles in the lives of Casca and Trinity, in that before these two came, the females were religiously dedicated to the leaders of their band -Griffith and Morpheus. Then the female falls in love with the new guy - Guts, Neo.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
-Dreams- said:
Guts and Neo share similar roles in the lives of Casca and Trinity, in that before these two came, the females were religiously dedicated to the leaders of their band -Griffith and Morpheus. Then the female falls in love with the new guy - Guts, Neo.

It happens quite differently though, as Oburi pointed out. And Casca was still not "devoted" to Guts, just in love with him. In any case, since you didn't respond to my other points, which were admittedly more important in regard to your original post, I take it that we are in agreement.

Hehe, I realize it's quite a stretch. But anytime an artist borrows from another work, they make sure to change it enough so as not to be obvious. I have absolutely no idea if these guys are Berserk fans. I just noticed some small similarities and thought I'd point them out. I agree though that I might be totally off.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
This is somewhat tangential, but I felt it needed to be pointed out.

-Dreams- said:
anytime an artist borrows from another work, they make sure to change it enough so as not to be obvious.
That's not always true. Often there are clear homages to the source character/material as a way of showing respect to them.

One of the more popular modern ones I can think of off the top of my head is The Bride's yellow, black-striped jumpsuit she wears in the final scenes of Kill Bill 1 -- an obvious homage to Bruce Lee's costume, and his character's role, in Game of Death.

And that's just one example of millions where creators borrowed others' concepts in a respectful fashion, while giving credit to the original.

Walter, yes.  There are clear homages.  I did point out the nearly direct ripoff of elements of GITS by the Matrix.  But someone who borrows a LOT of ideas from others might want to make some things less obvious, else they be labeled complete ripoff artists.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
I was thinking Trinity looked more like Angelina Jolie's character from Hackers.
I've actually always thought Carrie Anne Moss's face resembled the Skull Knight's.

:SK: "My name's Trinity."
:isidro: "*The* Trinity? Who cracked the IRS d-base?!"
:badbone: "That was a long time ago..."

Top Bottom