Berserk's conclusion

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Ok, I did a search for threads like this and came across a few that were either stagnant or riddled with chaotic conversation, so I took the liberty to create a new one for a fresh start.

Anyway, given the recent progression of Berserk's story, I think it would be cool to get an update on everyone's theories for the conclusion of the series itself.

Here's mine:

After the defeat of Ganishka, I imagine there will be a massive time jump to where Guts and crew are--finally--making it to Elfhelm. All the while, Griffith is establishing Falconia and bringing Midland into a new "golden age" or "age of prosperity".

As far as the details go with Guts and Co, I really can't pinpoint any specifics on the characters themselves. I imagine when(if) Casca returns to her old self, she'll leave for a while and then eventually come back because she knows she can trust Guts. The problem with that, though, is that Guts is such a tragic character so it's sort of hard to see her coming back at all(imho). As for everyone else, I would guess that, well, they progress to what they're supposed to be. Hopefully Roderick joins the crew. I like him.

Now, for my prediction of the end: Griffith now has his kingdom and his followers; the people of Falconia are now living in sort of a "false" reality because, behind the glamour and beauty of Griffith still lies Femto. Guts and Co return to Falconia at their maximum strength(skill, whatever, etc) and the unavoidable war ensues. Given that Guts is the one who really cares about everyone, I imagine that, with the death of Griffith, reality would set in and the world would go back to what it was before Griffith created his kingdom. It wouldn't be false, but the true reality that everyone is doomed to see before them anyways. I can see that happening to Guts because of his tragic nature(does the right thing, but at such a cost). So, really, the dude can end up being hated by everyone but, really, in the end he did the right thing.

Furthermore, if, like Walter said in another thread, the apostles DO divide into factions, I doubt the humans would be safe from either side. Those who would be loyal to Griffith would most likely kill humans if it meant killing another apostle at the same time. I see it as a double-edged sword: loyalty without the restrictions. At that point, though, after Griffith having attained his kingdom, I doubt the understanding between apostles and humans wouldn't matter. Maybe they even have underground meetings where the apostles feast on humans behind candle light? Who knows.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
After the defeat of Ganishka, I imagine there will be a massive time jump to where Guts and crew are--finally--making it to Elfhelm.

Uh, I highly doubt we'll need a "massive time jump" before Guts & co get to Elfhelm. Some time's already passed between their departure from Vritannis and now (the time it took for Ganishka and Griffith's troops to reach Wyndham), so I don't think it'd take more than a couple of months at max. For all we know it could be a matter of weeks or even days.

Dani

Smile!
Aazealh said:
Uh, I highly doubt we'll need a "massive time jump" before Guts & co get to Elfhelm. Some time's already passed between their departure from Vritannis and now (the time it took for Ganishka and Griffith's troops to reach Wyndham), so I don't think it'd take more than a couple of months at max. For all we know it could be a matter of weeks or even days.

It's possible to have a "time jump" after they reach Elfhelm, but it does not seem likely.

What are people expecting from Elfhelm? It seems clear that Guts is hoping for some kind of relief for Caska. I think there's not going to be a "time jump" because Guts is focused on Caska right now, even if he cannot get her fully healed at Elfhelm, there would have be some very strong developments to have Guts racing back to take on Griffith. Guts doesn't seem to be in the right mind set now.

Whenever the story does reach the point whee Guts is ready to take on Griffith, I think we'll see some very powerful developments. It's almost inevitable we will see the Beast have his moments (poor doggie is biding his time right now) but I don't think we'll see that without some serious loss of life.

I think it would be fair to say that nobody is safe, any of Gut's companions can die (with probably the exception of Caska) before we get to the end.

The only thing that is clear right now is that we can only guess and speculate about the immediate future surrounding both Griffith and Guts, as the end is many years off and as Berserk has shown before, can have many developments that you just can't see coming.

I just hope Guts can finally be at peace with himself and the world, whatever form it takes.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Dani said:
It's possible to have a "time jump" after they reach Elfhelm, but it does not seem likely.

Why not? A time jump while they're in Elfhelm actually seems more likely than after they go back to the mainland. Of course it wouldn't occur right away as many things need to be addressed first, but once it's all done? I could see it happening. It would be an adequate moment for it because it'd give Griffith time to establish his rule, and Guts and his companions would be able to fully rest, recover from their various ailments, and develop new skills. The question to me is more a matter of how much time will elapse. A few months? A few years? That's what can't be predicted.

Dani said:
What are people expecting from Elfhelm? It seems clear that Guts is hoping for some kind of relief for Casca. I think there's not going to be a "time jump" because Guts is focused on Casca right now, even if he cannot get her fully healed at Elfhelm, there would have be some very strong developments to have Guts racing back to take on Griffith. Guts doesn't seem to be in the right mind set now.

And those developments could occur after an extended period of calm, forcing everyone back into action regardless of what they want.

You know, judging from a the dark nature of Berserk, it might be very possible that nothing but more misery and slaughter awaits in the lands of Elfhelm. There is no rest for the wicked. And I mean come on, they are going off the advice of Puck here, who claims its a elf utopia. LOL I really do hope Elfhelm helps out the over all situation.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Death May Die said:
You know, judging from a the dark nature of Berserk, it might be very possible that nothing but more misery and slaughter awaits in the lands of Elfhelm. There is no rest for the wicked. And I mean come on, they are going off the advice of Puck here, who claims its a elf utopia. LOL I really do hope Elfhelm helps out the over all situation.

Perhaps it really will be Elfhell! :zodd:

But seriously, while there will probably be some tough times ahead for the group (and the world), I doubt it will go back to being like the Black Swordsman arc and Lost Children chapter, with Guts at rock bottom.  The story has evolved quite a bit since then and I just don't see things getting that bad again.  However, Guts is still carrying that beherit...

Well, it is Guts' primary tool for killing apostles/enemies. It also symbolizes his strong will that is almost unbreakable. I could see the dragonslayer finally making contact with its ultimate target and breaking. Guts' struggle is over.

i think it will sort of end with somthing tragic like possibly the beast taking over and murdering caska (:judo:) and maybe even griffith. But then that would be out of the blue

teh godhand said:
i think it will sort of end with something tragic like possibly the beast taking over and murdering Casca (:judo:) and maybe even griffith. But then that would be out of the blue

I highly doubt that would happen, it's all up to how Miura wants to end it hopefully he won't make the ending extremely depressing :sad: I am just praying for a happy ending if it will ever end that is :serpico:

Judas Priestly said:
I've always thought that if the Dragonslayer were to ever break that it would symbolize the end of Berserk.

If the dragon slayer ever broke you know Guts would only beat things to death with the remaining pieces! It might add a whole new part to the story though as he'd probably have to go back to Godot to get it reforged, I doubt he could find a 'better' weapon

I have no idea where Miura is going to from here, he's always had the power to surprise me with berserk. Elfhelm will probably get bloody though :guts:

teh godhand said:
i think it will sort of end with something tragic like possibly the beast taking over and murdering Casca (:judo:) and maybe even griffith. But then that would be out of the blue

Y'know I might actually prefer a bad end, berserk is one of the shining examples (maybe the only example) of where the forces or darkness truly win in the end; even if the force of darkness becomes guts himself. I'd love to see Caska come back to herself (even she is then later killed off) she deserves her marbles returned to her (but maybe that's why they probably never will be).

Sometimes 'happy' endings leave a bad taste in my mouth (see: Hellsing). A happy/ambiguous ending is possible for berserk, but a 'bad' ending that still makes you go: that was freaking awesome! Is what I'd like to see for the end of berserk

Oburi

All praise Grail
Manjou said:
If the dragon slayer ever broke you know Guts would only beat things to death with the remaining pieces! It might add a whole new part to the story though as he'd probably have to go back to Godot to get it reforged, I doubt he could find a 'better' weapon

You mean Rickert? Godot passed away a long time ago.

...it's been a while since i've read berserk from the start. But that gives yet something else to be resolved; Guts may have to go to Rickert to have dragon slayer reforged (if he can) and what of Erica? surely she's grown up by now?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Manjou said:
...it's been a while since i've read berserk from the start. But that gives yet something else to be resolved; Guts may have to go to Rickert to have dragon slayer reforced
I can appreciate your enthusiasm for Berserk, but I don't see what any of this has to do with the conclusion of the series. You're now talking about a hypothetical sidequest.

and what of Erica surely she's grown up by now?
Well, it's only been about 1 year since Guts left Godot's place in vol 22. And Erica and Rickert have likely left the place themselves, since the mine caved in. But please, if you want to talk more about them, start a different thread.

I don't, don't worry. Like I said I think I'd prefer a non-standard 'the demons win' ending to berserk, with a twist maybe. I feel there's still a long way to go until the end of berserk though. I wouldn't want and ambiguous 'good' ending that can almost feel tacked on sometimes

I'm sure Miura will come up with something awesome

On the apostle note I think they would make an excuse to feed them humans. Maybe they'll be the outer protection for the kingdom as well as the executioners. Also they might divide the lands of ganishka between the apostles.

Well, i don't think Berserk will have a "happy ending" and neither that "good" or "evil" will won ( :guts: or :griffnotevil:), Miura never showed Guts or Griffith like the "right", he show both like persons who fight for their dreams, so in the end i don't think that Guts or Griffith will won, bet on a twisted ending.
In the conclusion, IMO Rickert will have a role, why?? I don't think Miura saved him for nothing, just to sit down in Godo's house and take care of Erica, the only one from Hawks to survive except Guts and Casca should have a greater role in the History. And sure, the Moonlight Child will have his role too (IMO he is like the other side of the coin (the naive one) and Griffith the other), perhaps he and Griffith are connected (linked) and Guts killing him make Griffith dies too, something like Guts having too kill his own child to kill his "enemy" and sure, Casca opposite to it :???:.
But in the end it is just prediction, IMO we'll not even grasp a little of what Miura prepared for us in the end, a very surprising situation, like he did so many times along the history.

Armando said:
In the conclusion, IMO Rickert will have a role, why?? I don't think Miura saved him for nothing, just to sit down in Godo's house and take care of Erica, the only one from Hawks to survive except Guts and Casca should have a greater role in the History.

well, maybe he will. He already had his great role that was to treat Guts and Casca's injuries right after they were rescued from the eclipse ceremony. Also, if it wasn't for him, Guts wouldn't have his iron arm and the whole "I left Casca in your care, Rickert! :mozgus:" would be different. Maybe he wouldn't even leave her there, we don't know. Well, butterfly effect.
IMO it would be nice for him to have an important role in the future, but I'm happy for his sole survival. It's nice to see someone from the Hawks that is not that traumatized and actually moved on afterall.

Armando said:
Miura never showed Guts or Griffith like the "right", he show both like persons who fight for their dreams

Except that Guts is now fighting to protect those he cares for, while Griffith chose to sacrifice them... :schierke:

What I'm wondering is the more we see the extent of Griffith's power, the more unlikely it seems that Guts could defeat him, anyhow?!

Oburi

All praise Grail
asmer said:
Except that Guts is now fighting to protect those he cares for, while Griffith chose to sacrifice them... :schierke:

What I'm wondering is the more we see the extent of Griffith's power, the more unlikely it seems that Guts could defeat him, anyhow?!

YEa I have never seen or read any story where the odds are so stacked against the good guy. I can't even fathom how victory is possible against Griffith and his new world.

Lara Skadi said:
well, maybe he will. He already had his great role that was to treat Guts and Casca's injuries right after they were rescued from the eclipse ceremony.

Lara Skadi said:
Also, if it wasn't for him, Guts wouldn't have his iron arm and the whole "I left Casca in your care, Rickert! :mozgus:"

But think with me, that functios that Rickert had could be easily executed by other character, Godot by example, he could made or give the iron hand to Guts and Erica (beside the fact that at the time she was very young) treated both (Guts and Casca), and Rickert role would be minimum, what i'm trying to say is that maybe he have one "special" role in the flow of Berserk's history, something that only him can do. Maybe the way for Guts to see Griffith again at Falconia ( :griffnotevil: : When you know the truth you may choose to hate me. If instead you choose to continue chasing our dream i have no reason to refuse you. ) and then Rickert could take Guts at the place or have another plan. -edit- and of course, that meeting of Guts and Griffith will be snowing :slan: hhaha

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think anyone will doubt that Rickert's role in the story isn't over. But whether he'll be a crucial part of the conclusion of Berserk... I'd say that's a very ungrounded longshot. I think it's pretty funny Rickert has been discussed so much in this thread, just because his ultimate contribution to the story hasn't been delivered yet. He's an x-factor just as much as other characters are, when it comes to discussing the conclusion of the series.

Talking about Rickert makes me wonder how (and when) he'll encounter Guts again. Wow, it would be such a surprise for them to see Guts having a bunch of friends with him again and, specially, Casca back! (Assuming they will meet and the circumstances aren't terrible...)

Something that bother me is that, will all god hand members die in the end? Guts stated that he's gonna kill ALL of them, and that includes the others God Hand members beside Griffith :femto: (Guts' main course :beast: :chomp: ), right now he doesn't have the strength or information enough to defeat Femto, so will him kill the others or they will prevail?? Maybe SK take the other ones? And what about put an end in the whole idea of evil :idea: ??

Top Bottom