Digitally Distributed PC games ON SALE Thread

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
For those living under a rock the past 5 years, PC games are still alive and thriving, mostly as a result of some solid titles recently and perhaps moreso by the solid digital distribution market that Valve's STEAM program has carved into the industry. But STEAM isn't alone. As a result of its success, many sites have now climbed on the digital distribution bandwagon and achieved greatness and widespread userbases because of their insane sales, which usually occur on weekends. Part of the greatness of things like STEAM to me is that 10-20 years from now, I won't have to keep track of CDs, corrupt files or bullshit. I can just redownload it all. BEtter yet, when I'm long dead, I can bequeath my STEAM account to my favorite grandson or granddaughter, so they can play the best PC games of the 20th and 21st century :guts:

Since I got a new job with a lot more spare cash, I've been keeping a frantically close eye on these kinds of sales, since they occur quick and are usually completely batshit insane ($49.99 games for $5). The object of this thread is to keep PC gamers informed on what the current sales are, where to find them, and if the games are actually even worth $5 (I'm looking at you, 75% off Space Siege).

WEEKEND DEALS AND SALES

-Steam (www.steampowered.com)
The official distribution network for Valve, of Half-Life fame. They're the big daddies on the market, and offer a huge array of developer's games. You can find nearly everything that isn't Blizzard on here.
Prices range from $4-$49.99, excluding bundles and package deals (which range from ~$40-120).

-Good Old Games (www.gog.com)
Run by the guys who made The Witcher. The site specializes in games that have fallen out of public light for several years, but were important in their own time. Best part is, they're been re-engineered to work on modern Operating Systems, which has always been a huge problem.

-Direct2Drive (www.direct2drive.com)
Owned by the guys who own IGN and Fox News. Use at your discretion =). These guys honestly don't do a lot of weekend deals or big promotional sales, compared to their competitors. I think they rely on their network to promote themselves internally. Their games lineup is similar to Steam's, but doesn't really offer anything special.
Prices are nearly identical to Steam's.

-Impulse (www.impulsedriven.com)
A relative newcomer from Stardock, the company who since the days of AIM have been installing background apps that you have to manually close in Task Manager. These guys have specialized in getting exclusive RTS games like Sins of a Solar Empire, and they've done a good job, by my book (I bought a retail copy, registered it online and now I can download it from them whenever I want) They also digitally distribute small desktop apps like Window Blinds...

-Gamers Gate (www.gamersgate.com)
These are the black sheep of the group, run by Paradox Interactive. They do insane promotions on weekends to combat Steam's hold on the market, but their lineup is quite slim at the moment. They could become great over time, with the userbase they've been building because of their weekend sales.

=======

Found a website that does all the work for me!

http://didimatic.com/dd/en/onsale/

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Great initiative for those too lazy to seek good deals by themselves (I'm looking at you, Aazealh). :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I want Fallout 1 & 2. I'm willing to suck a dick pay money for them.
You can get them individually too, of course. They're $6 a pop.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Walter said:
You can get them individually too, of course. They're $6 a pop.

Yeah I saw that, I'm going to end up doing that since well no reason to spend money when I have plenty of other games that need a good beating.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Th3Branded0ne said:
Thanks for the thread. It's kinda like Black friday for PC gamers.
Yeah, except it happens every weekend! :isidro:

Forgot to throw this up there too, some of Steam's previous Weekend Deals:

2009-03-20 Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus and Oddworld Pack -- 75% off ($5)
2009-03-06 World of Goo -- 75% off
2009-02-27 Lost Planet: Extreme Condition -- 75% off ($5)
2009-02-13 Left 4 Dead -- 50% off
2009-01-30 All Rockstar games -- 30% off
2009-01-09 X-COM complete pack -- 66% off ($4.50 for the entire series)
2008-12-26 -- Christmas-New Year's deal. from 15-75% off the entire store (I got the entire Civ IV pack with all expansions for $24).
2008-12-19 STALKER:SoC -- 75% off ($5)
2008-12-12 Team Fortress 2 -- 50% off
2008-11-28 Titan Quest Gold edition
2008-11-21 Sam & Max Complete Season One -- 50% off ($10).

2008-09-05 All id games -- 50% off :isidro: :isidro: (can't believe I missed this one)

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Walter, that last link should be Gamesgate with an s!

Edit: I see that it has been conveniently changed. A ninja edit per say. I know whats going on here. :rakshas:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Walter, that last link should be Gamesgate with an s!
I may have forgot the s, but you forgot the r!  :ganishka:

As it turns out, Space Siege was priced pretty appropriately at $5. I played it for about an hour last night, and while fun, it's definitely wearing me down. Really it's just an unpolished experience. It's amazing how it rips things straight from Diablo II yet the controls feel like I'm playing a PC game with an NES Max pad.

Ah, another Monday, still 5 more days before the next weekend deals are announced ... :daiba:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I hooked my dad up with the $9.99 Orange Box blue light special just before it ended. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I hooked my dad up with the $9.99 Orange Box blue light special just before it ended. :guts:
Sweet! :badbone:

Portal is especially something everyone with a capable PC should play through at least once. Not to mention Half-Life 2.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The Orange Box is a treat for anyone who enjoys FPS games. It'd be madness not to get it at that price.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
The Orange Box is a treat for anyone who enjoys FPS games. It'd be madness not to get it at that price.
Too late now, for those who missed it over the weekend :judo:

That's the purpose of this thread -- to keep everyone updated on the elusive, but oh-so-addictive $ A V I N G $!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Woke up to see a number of deals this morning on direct2drive and gamersgate.com.
D2D: http://www.direct2drive.com/staticpage.aspx?topic=ubideals

-FarCry 2 w/DLC - $17.50
-Assassin's Creed - $9.95
-Call of Juarez - $4.95

There are others, just explore the link.

And over at GamersGate.com, they're doing a similar sale on FarCry 2, but also offering the new Prince of Persia for $25. http://www.gamersgate.com/index.php?page=product&what=view&sku=DD-PRINCE

Theyve also got Beyond Good and Evil on sale for $5. Could be more, this is just what Ive found so far.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
http://kotaku.com/5233501/left-4-dead-will-be-free-for-24-hours
Pretty sure this is the right thread to put this in. Also thank you Walter, I finally got The Orange Box because of that deal.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Weekend Deals so far:

Steam is running 2 deals: Tom Clancy's HAWX for $30 (40% off) and Left 4 Dead at $24 (40% off).
Gamersgate.com's 25-50% off Ubisoft games deal extends until Sunday night.
Direct2Drive has virtually the same deal on Ubisoft games as Gamersgate, so not really worth mentioning.

None of these are very enticing to me. Probably because this Ubisoft games deal was on Steam about 2months ago, so Ive already gotten what I want from it, and I have utterly no interest in HAWX.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Obviously too early in the week to post weekend deals, but there are a slew of price drops on Direct 2 Drive, including but not limited to:

Dead Space for $30
Cryostatis for $15
Call of Duty 4 for $40 (as retarded as it sounds for a 2007 game, this is actually quite low for the title)
Battle Forge $30 (this just came out and its dropped 20, may mean it's a flop)

And the deal of the fucking week is Crysis: Maximum Edition for $40 -- including Crysis, Crysis: Warhead (essentially an expansion) and Crysis Wars (multiplayer). I really can't recommend this highly enough for those who have systems capable of running it. It's my game of the year for 2008 (when I played it). This comes out tomorrow and should be available on all online distro places, but so far, no Steam announcement... making me worried. I might have to get it on D2D instead of my preferred service.  :sad:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
And the deal of the fucking week is Crysis: Maximum Edition for $40 -- including Crysis, Crysis: Warhead (essentially an expansion) and Crysis Wars (multiplayer).

I'll probably have to get that. It's too good to pass.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
So far, Steam has Call of Duty: World at War on sale for 50% off (24.99) and Direct2Drive has Sacred 2 for $30 and the gayest looking game I've seen in a while: ELVEN LEGACY for sale for $14.99. Yay. Gamersgate has Supreme Commander for $10, which is probably the best value for the weekend.

Independently, Steam also has the Sam and Max episodes and Strong Bad episodes for 50% off to celebrate the developer's 5th anniversary.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Direct2Drive.com has BioShock for 50% off, so $10 -- definitely the best weekend deal so far. Other 2K games are also 50% over THE MONTH OF JUNE: http://www.direct2drive.com/staticpage.aspx?topic=2kdeals

Steam has TF2 for $10 AND for free/trial play over the weekend. This is hardly a deal since 3 weeks ago they had orange box for the same price... There may be  an additional weekend deal to be announced later today.

Gog.com has three racing games (1nsane, TOCA racing, and Flatout) for 50% off.

Gamersgate has Age of Booty for 50% off at $10. (lol: and Civilization 6 for 50% off!)

That's it for now.

Top Bottom