Blazblue: Calamity Trigger

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Man, that fight took a loooong time to finish. Compared to SF IV right now, I would just keep on playing my SF. It didn't look too striking to me and it seemed kinda slow. Hey, don't be discouraged though if you like it. Go ahead and buy it when it comes out.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I heard it's quite popular in the arcades, which isn't too surprising knowing where it comes from. I'm not too interested myself, not really being into the genre, but I bet every serious fighter fan out there is waiting for it.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
I was going to make the topic but I'm glad you did first. I already preordered it at Gamestop online to get the exclusive artbook that won't be sold in stores. I actually plan to get good at this and spend some time with it. Can't wait to see you guys online. Oh yeah, I've already chosen my character.

Arkune%20full.jpg

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Gamestop.com tried to charge my credit the other day but I made an error in the info I gave them. That's probably going to cost me a day or two shipping! I haven't been this excited about a game in a long time. Anyone going to play on PS3? If so my PSN is Mr_Greed.
I want your fight!

handsome rakshas said:
Gamestop.com tried to charge my credit the other day but I made an error in the info I gave them. That's probably going to cost me a day or two shipping! I haven't been this excited about a game in a long time. Anyone going to play on PS3? If so my PSN is Mr_Greed.
I want your fight!

They messed my order up too! They were saying the address didn't match my cards address. I gave em my physical address because I get all my mail through P.O. box. Their shipping method doesn't allow P.O. box addresses so.......meh whatever it's fixed. I'll see you online. Can't wait for that artbook!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I dug the first few Guilty Gears on PSX, so I don't want to NOT give this title a shot, but jesus... the name of this game is a real turn off. BLAZBLUE!!!! It makes me feel like an old man. I guess Guilty Gear was a pretty retarded name for a game too though. :troll:

Begemot

STOP UNDRESSING ME WITH YOUR EYES!
Engrish seems to be a hallmark of fighting games. At least 2d, anyways.

Blazblue has a lot of Guilty Gear features, and all characters play wildly different from each other. I'm still learning the systems, but there is a lot of crazy shit to be had.

If you do pick it up, go for the limited edition, since they packed in the soundtrack and an instructional disc for the same price of the basic game.

Yeah so far this game is pretty good. Its to combo heavy for me and I fail for the most part with combos. But its still fun I am haven a blast playing as Bang the ninja. But playing this makes me wish Fist of the north star fighting game had a us release.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
UPS left me a note and I'm going to pick up the game at 5:30 pm. Before I fight you guys I have to get good with Arakune so give me a few months. I heard heard he sucks hard. Also this game got a 9.4 on IGN, which really surprised me.

Begemot

STOP UNDRESSING ME WITH YOUR EYES!
Actually, Arakune's considered one of the better characters, he just takes more time to learn than say, Jin for example.

A couple of odds and ends:

Bang Shishigami possesses a super that has its own theme song.
Behold: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdZP4PjAT1Q&fmt=18

The Iron Tager commentary is the best part of the instructional disc.

handsome rakshas said:
Also this game got a 9.4 on IGN, which really surprised me.

It helped that the reviewer was familiar with Guilty Gear and a big 2D fighting game fan. Critics who aren't tend to just say "What the hell is this?" and assign some random grade.

Walter said:
I dug the first few Guilty Gears on PSX, so I don't want to NOT give this title a shot, but jesus... the name of this game is a real turn off. BLAZBLUE!!!! It makes me feel like an old man. I guess Guilty Gear was a pretty retarded name for a game too though. :troll:

Yes but it's just a name....please tell me you have seen the videos of this game!

Woland said:
Actually, Arakune's considered one of the better characters, he just takes more time to learn than say, Jin for example.

I played my 1st ranked match as Arakune w/o any practice. I literally opened it, popped it in and started a ranked match. He is very agile and I can see how he can def. confuse the player with his movements and with his "invisibilty". I like cursing someone and launching all those little things at em.

This game is crisp and beautiful. From the menu screens to the fight screen. I'm liking the system and the characters. Damn, this game is better than I thought.

Has anyone done ν -13's.....I'm just going to call it ultimate? Friggin awesome! When it connects it goes to a mini anime cut-scene of her launching her sword. Try it. I've never seen a fighter do that before.

Who wishes to challenge the awesomeness that is Bang! so far hes the only one I know how to use well the other dude is Ragna tho i havent really played as him much. I wish to get better so if anyone wants a sparing partner im game!. My PSN is Adam006 if you wish to contact me tell me your from here so i know. Awesome game I am having more fun with it every day

handsome rakshas said:
Haha, I lost my first 10 ranked matches in a row as Arakune. I'm getting better I think.

Aw man....keep at it. He'll get easier to control. It's just his movements are great for confusing your opponent. I think a little too great cause then it confuses whoever is playing as him too! He is slowly becoming my main character. Toss up between Arakune, v-13, Jin, Noel and Litchi(O_O god she's breathtaking)

Breed1Ghost said:
Who wishes to challenge the awesomeness that is Bang! so far hes the only one I know how to use well the other dude is Ragna tho i havent really played as him much. I wish to get better so if anyone wants a sparing partner im game!. My PSN is Adam006 if you wish to contact me tell me your from here so i know. Awesome game I am having more fun with it every day

Challenge accepted! I'm not that well so don't expect an epic fight. Ew Bang? There's just something about him I don't like. Not trying to knock on your character. I just tried playing as him and I didn't enjoy it as much as other characters. Plus a good Bang player can annihilate me!

yesmilord

千年王国
Wow I never expected to see talk about this here.

I am a pretty avid fighting game player and am blessed enough to be in an area where there is lots of high-quality competition and some of the best fighters in the world. This includes players from Street Fighter (3S and 4), Guilty Gear XX Accent Core, Melty Blood Actress Again, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, and now Blazblue (and @Walter: IIRC, Blazblue is "French", so it technically reads as "blaybloo". I know it isn't helping the case, but they didn't just forget an 'e' or something of that sort lol). That being said, my main game is Guilty Gear, and I am both excited for Blazblue and loathing it at the same time. With the inception of BB means the death of GG (Accent Core at least), and probably its final year in both Evolution (the largest US fighting game tournament) and Super Battle Opera (the largest Japanese fighting game tournament). The game is still in its infancy, and while I applaud Arc Systems for doing such a great job mimicking the Guilty Gear system into a more beginner-friendly game, the reality is that Blazblue is really just a watered down version of Guilty Gear. It's a step back in complexity, just as Street Fighter 4 was. This doesn't mean the game is any less competitive nor easy to play at high levels, it just means the gap in skill and knowledge intensity is no longer as wide as it was before. The primary draws of Guilty Gear, an improvisation combo system, heavy emphasis on okizeme/mixups, and a quick-paced game, are only ghosts in their successor. So in short, I am sad to see that all of the thousands of hours I've spent practicing GG will probably fade away (until GG3 is announced), but am glad to see that new faces are showing up in the fighting game community, just as the arcade scene was giving its last gasp.

That being said, I may not be the best player amongst my friends and people I know, but I want to say in the most non-conceited manner, that I can at least "hang" with the best (I even helped out a bit with the instructional video that came with the game!). If anyone has any serious questions about improvement, where to find detailed information on their character, and the likes, don't hesitate to ask.

Now for a few specific comments:

@ori & handsome rakshas

Arakune is indeed one of the top 3 characters currently in the game. If there is one failing point of Blazblue, it is that the balance is currently greatly in favor of the three zoners (Nu-13, Arakune, and Rachel). Because they can control the game by staying back and controlling the space in between both characters, the game's negative penalty system shifts greatly in their favor. Arakune, in particular, has a drive that allows you to curse your opponent and release a swarm of bugs that will fly all over the screen. Note that he is actually quite difficult to play at a high level because he requires the use timed holding and releasing buttons (negative edging). The bugs A/B/C/D will come out depending on whichever button is released. Only one bug may come out at a time, and each button corresponds to a specific location and trajectory that the bug will fly from. That being said, you want to run away most of the game, spout out a cloud (jumping D) and a bell (forward+D) then hope your opponent touches one of them and becomes cursed. Once they're cursed, you can let go of the buttons to shoot bugs while flying around in the air using forward+A/B and quickly diving down on your opponent using the three jumping down+A/B/C. The A version has Arakune leap forward, the B neutrally, and the C backwards. Note that you are able to cancel the first dive into a second one, but you may only do a maximum of two dives in one going. The recovery on the dive (where he gets up from beneath the ground) is rather long, so don't dive recklessly, because a better player would punish the living daylights out of you.

Once you've practiced cursing and moving about using jumping forward+A/B and diving using jumping down+A/B/C, you should probably learn a few of his combos. For simplicity's sake, I'll just list an easy one to do: standing A > B > C > jumping forward+B > forward+B > quarter-circle forward+C. This is one of his simplest bread and butters. Another easy one is to start with the same thing (A > B > C) then do > jumping A > B > C > D. This combo ends by cursing your opponent, which is a great way to do so against bothersome characters that can evade your cloud spam.

Lastly, Arakune doesn't have much use of his meter, but what he can do for great damage (and it's easy to do) is throw then cancel his throw into super. Go into training mode and try it a few times - once you get the timing down, it's an awesome way to keep your opponent on the edge of his seat, watching for your throws.

Sorry for the super big FYI - it's just that Arakune is far from your average shoto clone and requires an entirely different skill set and mindset to play correctly. Understanding a character as complex as Arakune is vital to consistent success. If you guys want to see some videos of American Arakune players, look for CopperDabbit and HellFromAbove on youtube. They're both decent (and by decent I mean worse than Japanese players :p). Their movements also aren't as sporadic and honed as the Japanese are, so they'll be much easier to follow.

I don't actually have the game yet (I don't own a PS3 or Xbox360), but I've been playing at my local arcade for a few months now and going over to my friends' houses to get games in. My main is Jin, but I've messed around with all the characters, so I have at least a general idea of how to play each one.

Once again, I'm really excited that people on here actually play this game, so don't hesitate to ask for tips! Remember, practice is the *ONLY* way to get better at fighting games, there are no shortcuts!

This game looks really, really good. But living in UK it could mean I'll never get to play it >:( There has been no EU release date announced at all. At best that means I'll have to wait a year or so (like with Tales of Vesperia) at worst it could mean it'll never come out over here at all :chomp:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
yesmilord said:
(and @Walter: IIRC, Blazblue is "French", so it technically reads as "blaybloo".

It's pronounced "BleyBlue" in Japanese, yes, which always made me wonder why they chose to spell it "Blaz" in English. However it has nothing to do with French.

yesmilord

千年王国
Manjou said:
This game looks really, really good. But living in UK it could mean I'll never get to play it >:( There has been no EU release date announced at all. At best that means I'll have to wait a year or so (like with Tales of Vesperia) at worst it could mean it'll never come out over here at all :chomp:

Yea :(
You're going to have to get it imported. If you have a PS3 though, the game isn't region locked for that console.
They also have no plans to create or release European sound sets.

Aazealh said:
It's pronounced "BleyBlue" in Japanese, yes, which always made me wonder why they chose to spell it "Blaz" in English. However it has nothing to do with French.
You're right.
After looking around more, I found that I probably just overheard nonsense. Nobody is quite sure of the reason for omitting the "e" in "blaze", but it is definitely pronounced "bureiburu" in Japanese. Just as speculation, my guess would be that the "e" was omitted so that "blaz" would have the same amount of letters as "blue", leading for an easier logo design.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
yesmilord said:
After looking around more, I found that I probably just overheard nonsense. Nobody is quite sure of the reason for omitting the "e" in "blaze", but it is definitely pronounced "bureiburu" in Japanese.

Ah, so "blaz" would be the equivalent of "ブレイ" to them, an abbreviated form of "blaze" and "ブレイズ" in each language respectively. I hadn't even thought of that, but it makes sense in a weird way. Yet the title is still meaningless. You've got to love the Japanese sometimes. :ganishka:

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
I've been playing around with Arakune and I've been getting a lot better. Watching the DVD helped me out a lot and can actually put up a decnt fight now.The problem is I find myself focusing more on curse bugs than flying around the screen and having fun while I play. It's so hard to control your bugs and have a good fight strategy, it's like playing the piano. I wish I didn't have to work today, I'd like to challenge some of you guys.

Top Bottom