Hey, I usually don't start these "I'm new" threads when i register on forums but this time I had a few things to say.

Before that, since I already made this thread I might as well say a few things about me:
I'm actually still a "noob" when it comes to manga and anime, i started watching Naruto and Bleach anime early last year after hearing how "good" they were, so I caught up and decided to read the manga, after a while I heard about Death Note and a few other anime series (Naruto and Bleach were the only series I was following in their manga version) untill someone told me about Berserk, then I really knew what a good manga was, if I'm still buying Naruto and Bleach is just because those series "showed me the way" but they are pretty average now compared to Berserk.
So I caught with the manga 2 weeks ago, so I asked a Berserk fan about a good forum and that's how I came here.
Recently I bought the Hellsing manga too after finding the OVAs on BestBuy (Never thought I would find anime there) and is good, I guess starting with Shounen manga wasn't the best thing to do.

OK, so I wanted to say congratulations to the admins, this is a great forum, I can't help but to think it's a shame that I didn't find it before, I've been reading around for a while and it's great, from some theories (i.e. The moonlight child) to the response from Miura (That was great) I've found it really interesting and I'm sure I'll stick around for a while.
Also, I was reading some comments about Vagabond and it seems to be a great manga too but I heard there are 2 editions, I'll ask Mr. Google for info but if anyone here could tell me what's the difference and which one I should look for that would be a great help.

Well, that is all for now.

Hey Joaquin8911! Welcome to Skullknight.net!

Joaquin8911 said:
untill someone told me about Berserk, then I really knew what a good manga was
Amen.

Joaquin8911 said:
I guess starting with Shounen manga wasn't the best thing to do.
Definitely not. But to each his own. Naruto, Death Note, Bleach all pale in comparison to Berserk. Just compare the artwork, then take a close look at how well crafted Berserk's story is. Berserk = Quality.

Joaquin8911 said:
Also, I was reading some comments about Vagabond and it seems to be a great manga too
Vagabond is 2nd only to Berserk, IMHO. It's a really fantastic read. Oodles of character development. Stellar artwork. I highly recommend it. (Blade of the Immortal is a kick ass series, I suggest you pick it up.)

Joaquin8911 said:
OK, so I wanted to say congratulations to the admins, this is a great forum, I can't help but to think it's a shame that I didn't find it before, I've been reading around for a while and it's great
Skullknight.net is the forum for Berserk my friend...as I found out the hard way. :Shudders:

Proj2501 said:
Skullknight.net is the forum for Berserk my friend...as I found out the hard way. :Shudders:

Proj, after a statement like that, your past history is dying to be told. Please quench our thirst for a good back story until we may bask in Ganiska's later in the week.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Welcome Joaquin8911!!

While I did enjoy your post, I suggest that maybe we should just have a giant "New Members" thread to welcome new members who stop by and have something to say. :serpico:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Joaquin8911, welcome! :SK:

Concerning the shounen/seinen discussion, it's quite simple really: they're not meant for the same audience. But even then, there are discrepancies between different works as far as quality goes. Not every seinen manga is good. Our take on the matter here is basically that Berserk is above all. That being said, in the end what you choose to read is up to you.

Jaze1618 said:
Proj, after a statement like that, your past history is dying to be told. Please quench our thirst for a good back story until we may bask in Ganishka's later in the week.

Proj was a very curious boy, so despite the elder's warnings he ventured past the village palisade once. He thought it'd be a great adventure, but in the woods he saw bad things and was dismayed. He returned home a wiser man, knowing now what lied outside and having judged for himself that it was not good. He decided that he would never return there and lived happily ever after. Fin.

Proj2501 said:
Hey Joaquin8911! Welcome to Skullknight.net!
Oburi said:
Welcome Joaquin8911!!
Aazealh said:
Hey Joaquin8911, welcome! :SK:
Thank you :guts:

Proj2501 said:
Definitely not. But to each his own. Naruto, Death Note, Bleach all pale in comparison to Berserk. Just compare the artwork, then take a close look at how well crafted Berserk's story is. Berserk = Quality.
I can agree with this, although I still like Death Note, I can’t stand Naruto and Bleach anymore (Especially Bleach), the art looks bad and the story seems really weak now, but I’m re-reading Berserk now and I’m buying Vagabond soon so they’re not that important to me anymore.

Proj2501 said:
Vagabond is 2nd only to Berserk, IMHO. It's a really fantastic read. Oodles of character development. Stellar artwork. I highly recommend it. (Blade of the Immortal is a kick ass series, I suggest you pick it up.)
After reading comments like your and what’s more, coming from Berserk fans, I’m sure it’s a must read.

Proj2501 said:
After the stuff I’ve read so far I know that’s true.

Oburi said:
While I did enjoy your post, I suggest that maybe we should just have a giant "New Members" thread to welcome new members who stop by and have something to say. :serpico:
Yeah, this would be good for the sake of an ordered forum.

Aazealh said:
Concerning the shounen/seinen discussion, it's quite simple really: they're not meant for the same audience. But even then, there are discrepancies between different works as far as quality goes. Not every seinen manga is good. Our take on the matter here is basically that Berserk is above all. That being said, in the end what you choose to read is up to you.
Yeah, it’s a matter of opinions after all, after reading a few series (and watching anime too) I find Shounen to be really weak compared to Seinen and that’s leaving Berserk aside because it is seriously on another level.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Welcome Joaquin8911, I hope you get to interact as much as you can as soon as you find all the info you need here at SK.net.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to SKnet :badbone:

Joaquin8911 said:
OK, so I wanted to say congratulations to the admins, this is a great forum, I can't help but to think it's a shame that I didn't find it before,
Thanks for the compliments. The site is a work 9 years in the making, and it's always been a labor love. As for why you probably didnt' see it before now, since 2003 when we got really crowded and active, I stopped actively promoting it. I've got a plan in the works for a new promotion though.

Also, I was reading some comments about Vagabond, and it seems to be a great manga too but I heard there are 2 editions, I'll ask Mr. Google for info but if anyone here could tell me what's the difference and which one I should look for that would be a great help.
First off, there's a subforum here on SKnet specifically for Vagabond and Takehiko Inoue discussion and information. Check out the Vagabond Inn. In answer to your question, yes there are two editions -- the regular sized volumes (1-29 currently) and the VizBig edition which includes 3 volumes per edition (I believe there's plans to extend these all the way up to the current volumes). I haven't bought any of the VizBig, so I can't really accurately express my opinion of the differences. Suffice to say, they're *ahem* bigger. :carcus:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Welcome to SK.net! As others have already said, this is a fantastic forum and I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here. I started off with shounen manga, too, but I was of the targeted age group at the time, so I've since grown out of it (although Rurouni Kenshin is something I'm still fond of :-) I hope you enjoy Vagabond, I'm in the middle of reading it and love it so far.

Th3Branded0ne said:
Welcome Joaquin8911, I hope you get to interact as much as you can as soon as you find all the info you need here at SK.net.
Walter said:
Welcome to SKnet :badbone:
Rhombaad said:
Welcome to SK.net!
As others have already said, this is a fantastic forum and I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here.
Thank you

Walter said:
Thanks for the compliments. The site is a work 9 years in the making, and it's always been a labor love. As for why you probably didnt' see it before now, since 2003 when we got really crowded and active, I stopped actively promoting it. I've got a plan in the works for a new promotion though.
Actually the site is quite easy to find, but I didn't look for any Berserk forum until I caught up with the manga.

Walter said:
First off, there's a subforum here on SKnet specifically for Vagabond and Takehiko Inoue discussion and information. Check out the Vagabond Inn. In answer to your question, yes there are two editions -- the regular sized volumes (1-29 currently) and the VizBig edition which includes 3 volumes per edition (I believe there's plans to extend these all the way up to the current volumes). I haven't bought any of the VizBig, so I can't really accurately express my opinion of the differences. Suffice to say, they're *ahem* bigger. :carcus:
Thanks for the answer, then I guess I'll buy the regular volumes, but that VizBig edition sounds tempting :carcus:
I'm planning to check out the Vagabond Inn.... just after i catch up, spoilers are my worst nightmare.

Rhombaad said:
I started off with shounen manga, too, but I was of the targeted age group at the time, so I've since grown out of it (although Rurouni Kenshin is something I'm still fond of :-) I hope you enjoy Vagabond, I'm in the middle of reading it and love it so far.
I will start with vagabond next weekend, from what I've heard I'm looking forward to it :guts:

Top Bottom