Anime Conventions 2009

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Anybody from here going to Fanime Con in San Jose on Memorial Day Weekend? My work doesn't let anybody have that weekend off, but I'm luckily working early Sunday morning and the con ends Monday night(which I have off as well). Hope I can maybe see some of you guys down there.
http://www.fanime.com/ Here's the site for those of you who live in California but don't know about this yet.

Re: Fanime Con

Darklink286 said:
Anybody from here going to Fanime Con in San Jose on Memorial Day Weekend? My work doesn't let anybody have that weekend off, but I'm luckily working early Sunday morning and the con ends Monday night(which I have off as well). Hope I can maybe see some of you guys down there.
http://www.fanime.com/ Here's the site for those of you who live in California but don't know about this yet.

nope. I'm in the new england area and for the same dates of that con I'll be at Anime Boston. Same question btw to anyone in the New England area if they'll be attending anime boston.

Oburi

All praise Grail

ori said:
nope. I'm in the new england area and for the same dates of that con I'll be at Anime Boston. Same question btw to anyone in the New England area if they'll be attending anime boston.

Dude give me some info on this please. I want to go.

X

Xem

Speaking of Japanese Animation conventions, me and a large group of friends regularly attend AWA (Anime Weekend Atlanta) every year in the fall. If any of you attend this, and like to partake in massive amounts of alcohol consumption while doing so along with nearby hotel accommodations, let me know. We always have fun, and a few of us, me specifically, enjoy actually venturing into panels from time to time to see what's up.

We usually start off the 1st day visiting the nearby liquor store and purchasing the required tequila, then check into our hotel rooms. From that point on, we focus on keeping our cell phones alive and it's anyone's game. An entire hotel at our disposal, a dozen rooms full of random anime, close by sleeping quarters, and a few bars at the ready. Not to mention there's normally a concert from Peelander-Z and/or a hilarious rave. It's almost never a let down.

:slan:

Oburi said:
Dude give me some info on this please. I want to go.

http://animeboston.com/

Although if you're interested in going it's too late to pre-register which I highly suggest to anyone who asked me about going. Last year I waited (literally) the entire day to get my tickets for the weekend. They were under staffed and weren't expecting the amount of people that came last year. This year they claim they are prepared. They added some automated booths to get tickets and such.

But you should go! I hope the lines are better for you guys though. Are you in the New England area? I'm surprised you never heard of it if you are.

Oburi said:
Thanks dude! Yea I live Rhode Island, I'm deff going now.

No prob! Hope to see you there! I'll be cosplaying as Big Boss at the end of MGS3. So look for that. I'll be cosplaying as him only on friday. All other days my normal attire.

Dar_Klink

May 20
Fanime and Anime Boston are getting pretty close. :isidro: I'm excited as hell. Once again, anybody from here gonna be at Fanime this weekend? There's another con going on in Florida as well during the same dates. http://www.jacon.org/ Hope I can at least meet some Berserk fans there, only met one fan two years ago who flashed his brand tattoo to me when he saw the Berserk shirt I had bought. I also got a Guts Black Swordsman figure, a Guts plushy, A Griffith plushy, and a Griffith in bandages figure. I'm hoping to find more awesome Berserk merch again. :guts:

June 2
I just got back from Fanime today. Sadly, no Berserk merchandise besides the manga and dvds this year. :judo: I did get some awesome Persona, Kaiji, Phoenix Wright, and Dragonball stuff. There was a lot of awesome and even obscure cosplayers. I hope you guys that went to other cons had better luck finding stuff.

Dar_Klink

For those interested, there is another California anime con coming up for those of you near Sacramento in August. http://www.sacanime.com/
Anyone gonna be at this one? As much as I'd like to have this con be the debut for my Rakshas cosplay, I'm nowhere near getting it even started at this point due to being broke and having no artistic skills, but I hope I can meet some Berserk fans at this one. It's my first year going to this con and I'm pretty excited that I found out about it in time to ask for the weekend off from work. :serpico:

For the New England area there is another convention here...It's kind of short notice but I figured I'd mention it since there may be people interested in going. It's Portcon in Portland Maine. It actually has already begun. It runs until this sunday the 21st. Here's a link to their site.

http://www.portconmaine.com/

ghadrack

Not a llama or your momma!

Deci said:
Speaking of Japanese Animation conventions, me and a large group of friends regularly attend AWA (Anime Weekend Atlanta) every year in the fall. If any of you attend this, and like to partake in massive amounts of alcohol consumption while doing so along with nearby hotel accommodations, let me know. We always have fun, and a few of us, me specifically, enjoy actually venturing into panels from time to time to see what's up.

We usually start off the 1st day visiting the nearby liquor store and purchasing the required tequila, then check into our hotel rooms. From that point on, we focus on keeping our cell phones alive and it's anyone's game. An entire hotel at our disposal, a dozen rooms full of random anime, close by sleeping quarters, and a few bars at the ready. Not to mention there's normally a concert from Peelander-Z and/or a hilarious rave. It's almost never a let down.

:slan:

My friends and I from Chattanooga had been going to AWA regularly from AWA 2 through, 2007 was that 13? Anyhow, that convention while fun, was getting out of control, too many people, too little space for the events, and then the crackdown on adults with the room charges for bringing your own alcohol, it was apparent that they were not so much interested in having a party atmosphere in the place. I might go back ths year after skipping last, but I don't know. I'm leaning towards going back to Dragon Con, it's ginormously out of control but at least the staff don't call the police and hotel to break up room parties.

X

Xem

Master of the Obvious said:
My friends and I from Chattanooga had been going to AWA regularly from AWA 2 through, 2007 was that 13? Anyhow, that convention while fun, was getting out of control, too many people, too little space for the events, and then the crackdown on adults with the room charges for bringing your own alcohol, it was apparent that they were not so much interested in having a party atmosphere in the place. I might go back ths year after skipping last, but I don't know. I'm leaning towards going back to Dragon Con, it's ginormously out of control but at least the staff don't call the police and hotel to break up room parties.

I never got a room in the actual hotel for many reasons. For one I never plan on spending much time in it anyway. I always find a really close-by cheap hotel for the after partying... which usually doesn't last too long since we're all worn out from walking around for the past 12-14 hours. The hotel we usually stay in is in walking distance if you need to, but I don't mind driving since it's right down the road and I'm usually about to fall on my face at the end of the day. We had a friend once who got a room inside the convention hotel, and while the ultimate convenience was nice, everything else about it kinda sucked.

DOUBLE POST! DENIED!

I don't know why I didn't think of this until now, but one of my favorite things to do at conventions is find an extremely talented artist and have them do a drawing of me and my girlfriend manga style. The really good artists charge upwards of 100$~, and you usually end up waiting in line for at least an hour, but it's worth it. Last year we got one done of us as Spike and Faye from Cowboy Bebob, and the year before it was renditions of our characters in WoW (which turned out really amazing, gotta find that artist again). I can't believe I haven't done a Guts/Casca or Guts/Slan yet... or even Harlock/Emeraldas.

This year for sure! And I'll post scans when it's done. Anyone else do this? Or am the only one sucker enough to pay big bucks for cheesy things like this?

Dar_Klink

Deci said:
DOUBLE POST!

I don't know why I didn't think of this until now, but one of my favorite things to do at conventions is find an extremely talented artist and have them do a drawing of me and my girlfriend manga style. The really good artists charge upwards of 100$~, and you usually end up waiting in line for at least an hour, but it's worth it. Last year we got one done of us as Spike and Faye from Cowboy Bebob, and the year before it was renditions of our characters in WoW (which turned out really amazing, gotta find that artist again). I can't believe I haven't done a Guts/Casca or Guts/Slan yet... or even Harlock/Emeraldas.

This year for sure! And I'll post scans when it's done. Anyone else do this? Or am the only one sucker enough to pay big bucks for cheesy things like this?
I'm not sure if I'd so that, but I would like to get some commissions done of just certain scenes I want to see or characters you rarely see in the artist's hall. I spent a lot of time in the artist's hall looking for something that wasn't Naruto making out with Sora from Kingdom Hearts or some equivalent.

yesmilord

千年王国
Anyone go to AX this year?
I went on Saturday. Same stuff as last year, unfortunately.
(and by same stuff I mean no Berserk T.T)

IchIgO

6/22/09
currently i am attenting the tri annual "Festivities and Celebrations Convention of Southern Hawkington Vermont" in my home town. i will be dressing up in some berserk attire that i made myself ;D

IchIgO said:
currently i am attenting the tri annual "Festivities and Celebrations Convention of Southern Hawkington Vermont" in my home town. i will be dressing up in some berserk attire that i made myself ;D

The what? I've never heard of it. I'm right next door to you in NH. Is there a website? Please elaborate and give more info. Anything anime related catches my attention.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Otakon is on the 18th?

Indeed all my friends are stoked for it.

CCS said:
I'm going to Otakon on July 18th.

I've never been and want to know what it's like but its a bit far away from me....not by much. Isn't it supposed to be one the biggest on the east coast? Sadly, I'm not going. I continuously hear buzz about this con and WILL plan to go next year. Tell me how it is!

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
ori said:
Indeed all my friends are stoked for it.

I've never been and want to know what it's like but its a bit far away from me....not by much. Isn't it supposed to be one the biggest on the east coast? Sadly, I'm not going. I continuously hear buzz about this con and WILL plan to go next year. Tell me how it is!

Ha that's interesting. How many of you guys are going to the otakon?

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Ha that's interesting. How many of you guys are going to the otakon?

Nah I'm not going :judo: My friends are about 2 car loads of them. I just didn't have the time nor money to go. Anime Boston was my highlight for this year.

IchIgO

6/22/09
ori said:
Nah I'm not going :judo: My friends are about 2 car loads of them. I just didn't have the time nor money to go. Anime Boston was my highlight for this year.

dude you should totally go anyways. anime conventions are the greatest gift from mankind :guts:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
IchIgO said:
dude you should totally go anyways. anime conventions are the greatest gift from mankind :guts:

I disagree with that, but who ever is going to otakon give me a heads up. I live in the area and would be up for getting a brew with you guys.

Comic Con is coming up in a few weeks. I've been many times in the past but without the appreciation I have now for Berserk. Anyone know what kind of luck I'll have finding some merch? AOW statues are the main goal!

Top Bottom