Mass Effect 2

Cool, I'll give the Engineering class a shot then.

It looks like they might extend Mass Effect past the preplanned trilogy:

http://kotaku.com/5315578/mass-effect-might-go-to-fourth-game-then-infinity-then-beyond

Usually authors arbitrarily extending the story on the basis of financial success does not produce good results; that's why almost every long running, narrative driven show always has a decline. Hopefully any of the new sequels won't feel tacked on or formulaic and repetitive.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
seppuku said:
It looks like they might extend Mass Effect past the preplanned trilogy:

http://kotaku.com/5315578/mass-effect-might-go-to-fourth-game-then-infinity-then-beyond

Awesome news. I was afraid they'd stick to a trilogy. Good to know they're open to making more of them.

seppuku said:
Usually authors arbitrarily extending the story on the basis of financial success does not produce good results; that's why almost every long running, narrative driven show always has a decline. Hopefully any of the new sequels won't feel tacked on or formulaic and repetitive.

A valid concern, but I prefer to be hopeful. Let's see how good ME2 is first. :guts:

Anyway, on to ME Galaxy. I'm spoilering the parts about the story for those who plan to get the game. Read at your own risks.

MEGalaxy.jpg

Concerning the gameplay, it's pretty simple. You have 3 phases: cutscenes, dialogue sequences and action sequences. The cutscenes typically occur at the beginning of the game, when you pass a Mass Relay, when you land on a planet and at a few key points in the game (e.g. the ending :troll:). They're nothing too fancy but they do the job. The dialogue sequences are classic ME fare with multiple answers you can choose from by turning a wheel on the device's right side. It's cleverly done and nice to go through. Those are the real stars of the game to be honest, as the action sequences aren't anything incredible; mere interludes in-between talk sessions. The characters have different expressions depending on their feelings and attitudes. Nothing dynamic but it gets the job done. The character design is alright as well, cartoony but pleasant in its own way.

meg_conversation011.png

Now, about the action sequences and the gameplay. The game uses a top-down view, meaning you see a room from above with your character and enemies as heads and shoulders. Those parts are very formulaic: kill all enemies and either move to a new room, or fade out to a dialogue sequence. Your character starts out with an enemy targeted. You can switch targets by tapping them on the screen (can be enemies, exploding barrels or crates that block your way). Your character autofires, so all the subtlety is to dodge enemy fire while getting a good line of sight on them. Also to avoid getting shot at by 3 different enemies at once, because typically that'll end with you dead. Whenever you die you restart at the beginning of the room; the game saves all the time so you won't redo something twice. You move Jacob around by using the accelerometer, so in practice you just orient the device up, down, right or left and Jacob follows. It works well enough. The accelerometer is also recalibred everytime you load a room or unpause the game, so it's easy to reset if you messed up.

meg_combat021.png

There are a few different enemy types in the game, but the only meaningful difference is between the normal ones and the strong ones. Strong enemies have a sort of double reticule on them when they're targeted. Usually they're harder to kill and do more damage. Jacob and his enemies have a shield that slowly repletes when he's not taking damage, and a health bar that doesn't replete and can only be filled with health packs or by dying and restarting the room (so it's close to how it works in Mass Effect in that regard). You'll find various bonuses in the rooms, and the enemies sometimes drop them as well when they're killed. Those include health packs, shield packs, something that makes you shoot all around the place like a real shoot 'em up bonus, something that gives you back your special abilities, and probably one or two more the use of which I didn't care about. Speaking of special abilities, Jacob has 3: a "heavy weapon" that's essentially a rocket that explodes on impact, an "overload" tech talent that cancels shields, and a biotic statis that will freeze an enemy for a short while as well. To be very frank the rocket was the most useful to me; it can do a lot of damage. Those talents respawn quickly too, so it'd be a waste not to use them as often as possible. One should be careful not to shoot a rocket into a wall though, as you'll get the splash damage like you should and can easily kill yourself that way.

On a side note (this is a slight spoiler),
your special abilities are enhanced after you complete the 3 main missions in the game. After Tortuga you get a better "heavy weapon" attack (making you really quite powerful), after the Orbital Station you get a better "Overload", and after Bekke you get a better stasis.

One thing I have to mention that is a genuine complaint is that I didn't find the iPhone I played with very reactive. I sometimes had a lot of trouble switching targets or using my special abilities because it just wouldn't register my taps. Maybe it came from the game, maybe it came from the phone, or maybe it came from me not being used to the device, but it was annoying and caused a few deaths.

One thing that stood out as being pretty good to me was the audio. The music and sound effects are taken from Mass Effect for the most part and so they're quite nice for a cellphone game. There are also digitalized voices during the cutscenes and during at least some of the dialogue sequences, but unfortunately as I played at work I had to cut the sound and couldn't enjoy most of them. Voice acting seemed OK though, from the little I heard.

Moving on, here's a summary of the story:

The story focuses on Jacob Taylor, a character that will appear in ME2. He's an ex-soldier of the Systems Alliance. The game starts with the prospect of a peace treaty between the Batarians and the Council. A Batarian ambassador, Jath'Amon, is at the Citadel to negociate the terms of said treaty. Jacob himself is on vacation on a resort cruiser called the Arcturian Jade, having a good time until the ship is suddenly attacked by Batarian terrorists! :isidro:

Jacob puts the first wave to rest and saves an employee called "Porter", then heads on to the bridge to finish the job and rescue the captain. Upon meeting the Batarian leader you can have a talk with him, and he explains that he is trying to destroy humanity's "sense of entitlement", rambling that the Council has been unwilling to listen to the Batarians and that they must teach mankind a lesson in obedience. He doesn't have any faith in the ambassador's move towards a peace treaty and says he attacked the ship knowing full well it'd be a suicide mission. Once you're done with that the captain is appropriately thankful and you can get back to vacationing while the ship heads for the Citadel.

Only, upon arriving at the Citadel, Jacob is greeted by his old captain, Major Derek Izunami. He needs Jacob for a risky mission in the Nemean Abyss, and only he can do the job because he is no longer restricted by Alliance military boundaries. The plan is for Jacob to find the Major's informant (named Miranda Lawson) on the Batarian's recent crime wave in the Cartagena Station, more specifically at a shady bar called "The Fringe". Miranda is another character that will appear in Mass Effect 2, although in the game she plays only the role of support/light love interest for Jacob. I say "light" because it's not very prominent, and considering the length of the game, not very realistic either. Felt to me like a crude attempt at compressing the ME experience in a very short time, but admittedly I'm being a bit harsh here. I did smile when I saw the <3 dialogue option, and just had to choose it. :void:

Anyway, Jacob eventually accepts the task, though he's disgruntled at the idea and doesn't seem to carry the Major in his heart. The game depicts him (Jacob) as kind of a hardass but who can't turn his back on innocent people in danger, though of course you can paint a slightly different picture when choosing his dialogue (making him more of a killing machine or more of a boy scout). So you get to the station, but only to learn that it's been overtaken by a band of pirates led by the aging "Black Eye" Darragh. Jacob convinces a guard to let him take care of the problem, fights through the pirates and gets to Darragh.

He can either be talked into retiring and turning himself in or just taken out in combat (I persuaded him myself). Once that's taken care of, Miranda introduces herself to Jacob. She teases him about how he handled the old man, saying she didn't think he could convince him, implying the guy was so old she could have taken care of him herself, etc. And when Jacob wonders whether he's being tested, she answers that maybe he is, but that it doesn't make a difference anyway. He's got to do what he's got to do. She then proceeds to reveal the Batarians' plan: to attack the Citadel the day of Jath'Amon's arrival. She has three leads that need to be investigated: there is a Turian arms dealer named Illo Nazario who has worked with the Batarians for years on the planet Tortuga. There is also the case of several scientists who have been kidnapped to work on a dangerous biological agent, which leads to the Ahn'Kedar Orbital Platform. And finally, there is a Batarian army gathering on the planet Bekke. You get to board Miranda's ship, and then are given the choice of where to begin your investigation. I'll tell them in the order I did them.

So first, Tortuga and the Turian. As soon as he gets there, Jacob meets with a Salarian called Ish (I forgot if he gives his full name or not), supposedly a friend of Miranda. He's got the codes needed for Jacob to enter Illo Nazario's base. From your talk with him, you gather that Illo used to be a big shot but that he hasn't made any deals for weeks, which strikes Jacob as suspicious. Illo isn't short of enemies either. You can also question Ish's reliability during the talk, but as it turns out you don't have much of a choice and must trust him.

So you make your way through the Turian guards protecting the base, when suddenly Miranda picks up a lot of Batarians coming up from behind you. Sounds like a trap, and if Jacob wonders whether Ish has betrayed them, Miranda starts saying he wouldn't do such a thing, before realizing that on the contrary, it's exactly something he'd do. After killing all those Batarians though, it turns out they came to "talk" to Nazario. Or so their leader says, anyway. Jacob can once again convince them to turn back (arguing he's already slaughtered all the guards, which makes them reason that he'll "do their job for them") or simply fight them to the death. He then proceeds through more guards and gets to Illo.

It then becomes clear that something's wrong with him: he appears to be very ill. From what he tells you, the Batarians tested a weaponized virus on him that will eventually kill him if he's not administered a cure. He had been working with them until he discovered they were manufacturing that virus. He tells you that he has crucial information to give you, but that he won't say anything until you find him the cure. Even on the verge of death he thinks like a businessman and aims to strike a deal. You have no choice but to agree, and take him with you on the ship as you move on to the next mission. You can choose to keep him in a nice place or in the cargo bay though. :zodd:

So, since Illo is sick, on to the Ahn'Kedar Orbital Platform to look for the scientists! Right as he arrives, Jacob suspects it to be a front for something dubious. As a few Batarian businessmen are starting to get hostile, a Krogan suddenly appears and shoots them all dead. He identifies himself as Nax, and tells Jacob he has until the count of five to justify his life. As Jacob talks to him while he counts down, they realize they share similar goals. Nax is there to save a friend of his called Batha (and Jacob is there for the scientists). Nax tells Jacob not to get in his way, and Jacob proposes to split up and meet in the middle of the complex. They "joke" about who's going to save the other's ass and whatnot, then proceed to wipe the Batarian scum off the station.

After going through a few waves of Batarians, Jacob encounters yet another terrorist leader, whose dialogue was apparently not memorable enough, because I don't remember him saying anything noteworthy. Anyhow, you send him to a better world and Jacob discovers Dr. Hendricks, a fat scientist who's very concerned about the work they're doing there, believing it to be a humanitarian cause (it's to the point where he's not very concerned about being a hostage). What the Batarians told him is that their people have fallen prey to a terrible disease, capable of wiping out entire populations. As a result their species would be on the verge of extinction. The disease is communicable only in high concentrations but incubates very quickly, and has a 100% fatality rate. Out of desperation, the Batarians brought the scientists there together in order to develop a cure.

Jacob can explain to him that he's been fed lies, that the Batarians have developed a weapon to attack the Citadel and only want a cure to protect themselves from it. Not only that, but he will need the cure for Illo and in order to prevent the attack from being successful. After Hendricks is convinced and agrees to leave with Jacob, he reveals that their work isn't quite complete yet, and that the prototype formula for the cure is held by Batha, who's in another, deeper part of the complex. Jacob isn't too worried about it, and conveniently, at that moment Nax bursts through the door with Batha (an Asari) in his arms, under attack by Batarian gunfire.

Jacob takes care of business and then gets everyone on board of Miranda's corsair. Batha gives her thanks and Nax replies that he couldn't have let her being abducted without doing anything, but she tells him she was actually talking to the humans. She then confirms that the Batarians' story of their species being ravaged by a virus was a sham. The Batarians only made it up to get a cure for their biological weapon. The crew realizes they need to get the cure to the Citadel for when the attack begins. Though it was only a prototype cure, Batha can almost finish it with supplies from the corsair's med labs, but she also requires another ingredient: a large amount of unrefined element zero. Why eezo can be used to cure people from a disease is discarded by Batha with some vague scientific mumbo-jumbo that "doesn't matter" in her own words, and the story moves on. Through a brilliant reasoning (not really), Jacob and Miranda deduce that the Batarian army on Bekke must be stationed there to protect a large amount of eezo, as it is quite valuable. Meaning only one thing: on to Bekke!

So you get to Bekke and there it's all pretty straightforward. The place is sinister, with a storm raining over the place and all that. As soon as Jacob opens the ship's door he's under fire from the Batarians. Miranda also says she's picking up strange readings from the planet, that must be from the eezo. As he fights his way through the base, she's concerned about his health as he gets to feel sick because of the eezo's proximity, but paradoxically it also makes him feel stronger. She insists that he hurries before it really harms him. Finally he gets to the stockpile, they load it on board of the ship and leave the place in a hurry. Again, whatever dialogue there may have been with the local boss wasn't memorable.

Jacob returns to Illo on the ship, and with the cure soon ready, can finally interrogate him. It takes a few incentives/threats to get him to talk, but in his state he doesn't have too much of a choice and spills the beans. The Batarians had hired him to steal a shipment, and he was fine with it until he found out what he was stealing: a large supply of element zero. He had heard rumors that someone had found a rich eezo source in the Nemean Abyss. Ships full of eezo to the brim, and some said even made of eezo. Jacob tells him it's a myth without a basis, but Illo explains that what they found was surprisingly close to the truth. Ships that held more eezo than he'd ever seen before. But stealing something like that would make anyone the most envied and wanted man in the Abyss, so he pulled out of the job (and as a result was used as a test subject for their weapon).

Yet he was curious, and sent men to spy on the operation. He learned they needed that eezo making a vaccine for the virus they used on him. At this point he refuses to say more without getting the cure first, but Jacob and Miranda pressure him into saying everything he knows. It turns out that it's all part of a plan, not to kill the Batarian ambassador, but to wipe out the Council. Jacob gets the hint and Illo confirms it: the leader of the Batarian terrorists is actually Jath'Amon himself. He has spent years gather political influence to enact his plan, and now that he is an ambassador he can take his revenge on the Council and the Alliance. And since he has the vaccine, he won't be harmed by the blood plague himself. A pretty good plan according to Jacob himself. They hurry back to the Citadel to try to stop the meeting before the worst happens.

Jacob heads to the Citadel Tower. Miranda's worried about him and tells him to be careful (awww, so cute). No sign of trouble yet according to C-Sec. Jacob heads out to stop Jath'Amon after Batha has inoculated crew with the vaccine. He gets through an empty room, evading the security turrets (:badbone:), but is quickly stopped by a suspicious C-Sec officer, who equally quickly reveals himself as a Batarian infiltrator (no use keeping on the disguise for a single man, right? WRONG! *arnold*), and then immediately attacks Jacob with his men. Jacob makes his way up the tower and once all the enemies are dispatched, interrupts the meeting in the middle of the negociations. The ambassador is acting all nice and sweet, and the Asari Council representative instantly gets pissed at Jacob for barging in since he's not the human ambassador and has arguably nothing to do there.

As he's about to be taken away by guards Jacob struggles to reveal the evidence against Jath'Amon, from Illo's story and the kidnapped scientists to the eezo stockpile on Bekke. The more you bring to light, the less affable Jath'Amon is, until he himself directly orders Jacob removed from the room (as if he had any power). In a reversal of situation, the Asari Council representative apologizes but says she can't take any risks until she is sure about Jacob's claims. The ambassador, infuriated, launches the virus as a gas from his hover chair (yes, he's a fat dude in a hover chair) and infects everyone in the vicinity.

Jacob warns them to escape and follows after the ambassador, fighting his henchmen and even some turrets on the way. When he finally defeats him, Jath'Amon tells Jacob that they are not so different as they both go to great ends to protect their people. He's taken away by C-Sec, but swears he will destroy them all and follow Jacob to the end of the galaxy to kill him. Regardless, all is well that ends well as Batha has made enough vaccine to cure "half the Citadel". Jacob says he needs to go on a vacation. Then there's a final talk with Miranda, which basically amounts to "what now" (the one featuring the <3 dialogue choice). The story then cuts to Jacob, once again on vacation on board of a ship. He's surprised by a sudden loud noise and picks up his assault rifle, but as he turns around he realizes it was Miranda popping out the champagne with two glasses in her hand and an inviting smile on her face. THE END.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, an amazing review Aaz. I can't believe you recalled most if not all of that from memory!

In new news, Dark Horse is bringing us a Mass Effect comic series to tie into the release of Mass Effect 2 :isidro:
Mass Effect: Redemption will be written by BioWare's own Mac Walters, responsible for the Mass Effect 2 script. ... Walters promises that Mass Effect aficionados will be "pleasantly shocked by the events in these comics" saying that Redemption will change the way you'll look at the upcoming Xbox 360 sequel.

The Dark Horse published series starts January 6, 2010.

http://kotaku.com/5319665/ea-dark-horse-to-pleasantly-shock-you-with-mass-effect-comic-series

Can't say I'm SUPER excited about this prospect, but it has the potential to be cool. I have to say, putting a sexy Asari on the cover is definitely the right way to market this thing :carcus:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
In new news, Dark Horse is bringing us a Mass Effect comic series to tie into the release of Mass Effect 2 :isidro:
http://kotaku.com/5319665/ea-dark-horse-to-pleasantly-shock-you-with-mass-effect-comic-series

Can't say I'm SUPER excited about this prospect, but it has the potential to be cool. I have to say, putting a sexy Asari on the cover is definitely the right way to market this thing :carcus:

Yeah, they've at least managed to catch my interest. :void: I'm still wary of the overall quality though... I guess we'll have time to see it coming anyway, since it'll start on January 6, 2010.

yota821 said:
^^The books were enjoyable enough, let's just hope the comic either matches or exceeds that.

I'm currently reading the first one. I'm finding it decent so far. Not great writing, but entertaining if you're a fan of Mass Effect and its universe.

In other news, BioWare are being cunning in offering a Mass Effect 2 bonus in Dragon Age: Origins' Collector Edition. Believe it or not but it's actually making me consider to buy it... If the game's any good I probably will.

Yes, that trailer has been posted before. There are spoilers, but they're the kind of spoilers that get you more interested in the game. I don't feel as if anything was 'ruined' for me by seeing any of these trailers.

March of Flames

Love Is Vengeance.
Thanks A LOT for that summary because I would have never played it. I'm almost done with my second play through at level 59 and I have Colossus X, Rage X, and Phantom X! Looks awesome.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
New ME2 interview: http://www.pcworld.com/article/168953/building_bridges_casey_hudson_talks_mass_effect_2.html

Very interesting stuff, I advise everyone to read it. It's scaring me though... Maybe I should have reloaded after (inadvertently) rolling over a monkey in the UNC: Lost Module assignment? Will Liara ever forgive me for my BRUTAL WAYS? :judo:

I mean...

Anytime we have a plot or a character or situation in Mass Effect 2, we think about what you did, potentially, in the first game that might affect said plot or character or situation in the second. We can look at each variable and dynamically change what happens in the moment. It ranges from small things like, by way of example, Conrad Verner was a fan of Commander Shepard's that you met in the first game, and it's like you meet this guy in an alley and you can be nice to him or you can be a jerk to him, and at the time you might have been thinking of it as just a trite role-playing convention, good-guy bad-guy, and that's that.

Jump forward two years. Now you're playing Mass Effect 2, and oh my god, who's this, it's Conrad Verner! And based on what you've done, you realize that while the moment in the first game maybe seemed throwaway, now Conrad's back and involved in another plot in a game you're playing two years later...and what you did two years ago is meaningfully affecting what's happening. That's a small example.

Holy shit. Conrad Verner. If you see this, Death May Die, then this is what a great video game plot is. Something that continues over multiple games. The guys writing the Resident Evil stories are barely able to remember the main characters' names or appearances, much less to keep the main events coherent from one game to the next. But here we have the lead designer of Mass Effect remembering Conrad fucking Verner.

Conrad Verner?! I wonder if Emily Wong will come back too; there's so much they could do with her. In Mass Effect most side quests were 1-2 missions that ended fairly quickly. A game like Fallout 3, however, had enormous quest chains (like making the book for Moira Brown).

What happened to Commander Aazealh Shephard?

Well I just looked into IGN's and G4's interest in the game. So, seriously if you play the first game, and keep your saves, story wise they WILL cross into the 2nd game. That's pretty cool. The game reminds me a bit of Knights of the Old Republic. Both reviews of the first game says there is a "LOT" of holy shit moments. I'll probably look into the game being a "good, bad" choice game.

EDIT

Thinking about it, this great marketing and a great product for the consumor. It gives you a reason to go back to the first game, make decisions and see how the 2nd game reacts to those decisions. Its like a big puzzle.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
So, seriously if you play the first game, and keep your saves, story wise they WILL cross into the 2nd game.

Yes.

Death May Die said:
Both reviews of the first game says there is a "LOT" of holy shit moments. I'll probably look into the game being a "good, bad" choice game.

You should get it. It's cheap nowadays.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
I was thinking about picking up Mass Effect a few minutes ago since I went by the store and saw it for 20 bucks. I decided another time though since I have enough games as it is and I bought the wife her birthday present. Seeing how fun it looks, I think I may get it a little later. Whoop whoop. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Seeing how fun it looks, I think I may get it a little later. Whoop whoop. :guts:

Yeah man, you should. It's great. Give up on that Disgaea marathon already, the galaxy's got a fever and the only prescription is more Commander Shepard.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Aazealh said:
Yeah man, you should. It's great. Give up on that Disgaea marathon already, the galaxy's got a fever and the only prescription is more Commander Shepard.
I can't.... iv already given so much. Once I commit to something (whether stupid or serious) I tend to see it all the way through. Even if it takes me forever... much like those trading cards! :troll:

Ko Ninja

¯\(O_o)/¯ クー
Sorry I'm late to the party, folks. I'm really looking forward to ME2. I've been following it since it's first announcement and I'm really excited. I played still play Mass Effect once through every month or so. Over time, I've been working tons of characters up even though having so many 60's will make, mostly, small differences with each play through. I have to have a Paragon and Renegade for each class and then maybe even smaller branching paths. Needless to say I was addicted for a while. So where does everyone stand on how they play ME? PC or 360?

Oh, and the books were alright, if you need something to read.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ko Ninja said:
I played still play Mass Effect once through every month or so. Over time, I've been working tons of characters up even though having so many 60's will make, mostly, small differences with each play through. I have to have a Paragon and Renegade for each class and then maybe even smaller branching paths. Needless to say I was addicted for a while.

Hahaha shit man, you're hardcore! I have to admit though that I've been fighting the urge to just keep replaying the game again and again myself. Don't want to burn myself out though.

Ko Ninja said:
So where does everyone stand on how they play ME? PC or 360?

X360 for me. I usually stick to the original platform a game was developed for. Plus I enjoy playing while lazily lying on my couch. :void:

Ko Ninja said:
Oh, and the books were alright, if you need something to read.

I agree, I found them decent. Hopefully Ascension will be cleverly related to ME2's plot.

Ko Ninja

¯\(O_o)/¯ クー
Aazealh said:
Hahaha shit man, you're hardcore! I have to admit though that I've been fighting the urge to just keep replaying the game again and again myself. Don't want to burn myself out though.

Hardcore? No way. I think I just get easily addicted to certain games. Some would call this a big waste of time when you have as many games out there as we do nowadays. Haha!

Aazealh said:
X360 for me. I usually stick to the original platform a game was developed for. Plus I enjoy playing while lazily lying on my couch. :void:

I completely agree. I enjoy the laziness and I'm always for the original source/platform/et cetera of things.

Aazealh said:
I agree, I found them decent. Hopefully Ascension will be cleverly related to ME2's plot.

I'm still finishing up Ascension but I enjoyed the lead in from Revelation.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ko Ninja said:
Hardcore? No way. I think I just get easily addicted to certain games. Some would call this a big waste of time when you have as many games out there as we do nowadays. Haha!

Say what you want but having level 60 characters of every class, both Paragon and Renegade is about as hardcore as it gets to me. Note that it isn't incompatible with being addicted. :ganishka:

Ko Ninja said:
I'm still finishing up Ascension but I enjoyed the lead in from Revelation.

I liked Ascension better overall I think. Still a bit clumsy and crude but I think the guy's got potential.

yota821 said:
Hopefully they'll have something better for the inevitable ULTRA SPECIAL HARDCORE EDITION (...though it will probably be just the same cover art with some stupid holographic veneer to it :sad: )

Yeah, that'd be nice. Maybe we'll get night vision goggles from Geth Armory too! :ganishka:

Top Bottom