What Do You Imagine The Character's Voices Sounding Like?

I'm sure we all have our own interpretations on how certain character's voices sound in our head. Just interested in how people think certain character's voices should sound . Naming any famous people whose voice would sound like a certain character's is fine.

For a start, I think Guts' voice actor in the Berserk game for Dreamcast was pretty damn close to how I imagined he would sound, but not quite. As for Void, I always imagine his voice sounding like Tony Jay's (look him up, very deep and commanding voice).

That's all I can think of right now, there's certainly more, but I cannot place how to describe them into words properly without making myself sound idiotic (it is hard to describe certain character's voices as they would sound to me in my head).

Apologies in advance, if this topic has been created in the past.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Snake didn't have a voice in Metal Gear. Just text. But do you mean David Hayter in Metal Gear Solid? If so, he seems a little slimy sounding for Guts. Just my opinion.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Jaze1618 said:
Griffith sounds to me very similar to the way he did in the US anime, only more low key in his speaking.

By US anime, do you mean the English dub of the anime adaptation? Like Walter, I also imagine Guts speaking with a deeper version of his voice actor in the anime.

I think Griffith's voice in original anime adaptation was simply perfect, almost exactly as how I imagined it would sound like. As for Guts.. hmmm, I liked his voice just fine, but I always imagined it to be more 'rough' when he's pissed. Caska, on the other hand, was pretty damn good but too squeaky for my liking sometimes.

Well I think Slans voice in the Japanese version definitely sounds the way I would imagine her voice to sound like. The English version however was kind of weird, I think if that girl that was talking for Slan sounded a bit more horny that would work out for how i imagine she would sound in English. :slan: .......... hehehe :carcus:

I thought Cam Clarke was pretty close to how Puck should sound. I actually e-mailed Cam about the role, but he couldn't even remember it! :D

Cam Clarke is excellent. Very diverse voice. He is pretty close to how I imagined how Puck should sound too.

Now that I can recall, the PS2 game, the voice actor for Skull Knight was perfect. Just how I imagined he would sound (obviously in English though).

When I watched the first episode of the anime, I was taken aback by Nobutoshi Canna. He didn't have that dry, baritone voice I expected for Guts. Yet after going back to the The Golden Age arc, I grew familiar with that young edginess he has to his voice.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Doc said:
When I watched the first episode of the anime, I was taken aback by Nobutoshi Canna. He didn't have that dry, baritone voice I expected for Guts. Yet after going back to the The Golden Age arc, I grew familiar with that young edginess he has to his voice.

Nobutoshi actually has an extremely diverse voice range. I've heard him playing several characters in the past with very light, elegant voices compared to Guts rough, edgy voice. He's a great seiyuu.

I like Kevin T. Collins' take on Griffith; he has a calm and smooth approach to the character. But I think that Cam Clark, of Robotech and TMNT fame, could have done a little better. Here he is as Krelian in the middle of this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67RDfn49ZGo

Zodd's voice was all wrong in the anime. I imagined his voice sounding more like a demonic roar. Take Genbu from the Yu Yu Hakusho dub or the talking wolf (minus his weird accent) at 4:50 of this following video for example:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/unskippable/656-X-Blades

Griffith's voice was perfect in the anime. I couldn't imagine a better choice.

For Skull Knight, I would pick a Kel'Thuzad(in lich form from Warcraft III) or a Mephisto (from the Diablo II cinematic) voice. They have a nice ghostly, elderly male combination.

The count should have the same voice as the skeletons who appear in Guts's nightmare in the anime.

Guts had a suitable voice in the anime. I think the voice for Mugen from Samurai Champloo would have also worked. However, if they ever decided to do a reboot of Berserk, it would sound strange if they switched voices.

seppuku said:
Zodd's voice was all wrong in the anime. I imagined his voice sounding more like a demonic roar.

I whole-heartedly agree with you. At times when Zodd is in beast form I can't make out what he says through the growls, grunts, roars as he speaks.

seppuku said:
Guts had a suitable voice in the anime. I think the voice for Mugen from Samurai Champloo would have also worked. However, if they ever decided to do a reboot of Berserk, it would sound strange if they switched voices.

I think Guts is DEAD ON for me. I couldn't hear anyone else doing his voice. It is captured perfectly. Mugen's voice sounds like it belongs to a wise-cracking type character. Isn't the person who did his voice the one who did Spike from Cowboy Bebop?

For Serpico I've been thinking a voice like....sigh I don't have anyone's voice on my mind other than Jin Kisaragi from Blazblue. Sorry. I have come across similar voices like this in other anime but I can't recall at the moment. Here's a link to his voice. Perhaps less gruff in his voice?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naBZZh0hf-s

ori said:
Mugen's voice sounds like it belongs to a wise-cracking type character. Isn't the person who did his voice the one who did Spike from Cowboy Bebop?

I meant Mugen's Japanese voice, not his dubbed voice.

If the Idea :idea: had a voice, it should have been Tony Jay (RIP) doing the Elder God voice.

I thought Void's English voice in the animé was just about perfect, same with Ubik's.

Henry Spencer said:
If the Idea :idea: had a voice, it should have been Tony Jay (RIP) doing the Elder God voice.

I thought Void's English voice in the animé was just about perfect, same with Ubik's.

"Tread carefully, Raziel." one of my favorite voice actors. Too bad he passed away. :judo:

Well when it's the dialogue, it's my voice! But when Guts is in battle, screaming - the distinctive scream from the series keeps looping through my mind. :magni:

S

Saintly pants

For the Skullknight, i spontaniously imagined a really, REALLY raspy voice. Like he has gravel for vocal cords. :badbone:

C

C_W

Doc said:
I thought Cam Clarke was pretty close to how Puck should sound. I actually e-mailed Cam about the role, but he couldn't even remember it! :D

Are you kidding? From the moment I heard that dub voice in the video game, I wanted to claw my ears out. I always gave Puck a female voice (as per usual with Japanese anime, and even though I'm not too familiar with it, I'm pretty sure that's how it sounds in the PS2 game). Just one clip of the dub voice from the video game, I felt like I needed a brain scrubber to remove it. Every time I would read thereon, I would give Puck that voice. :mozgus: What a nightmare, but I'm glad it's no longer an issue.

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
I thought the anime did a pretty spot-on job with the voices, so those have been stuck in my head since watching it. It'll be interesting to see who they get to dub the new films when they come out.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Saintly pants said:
For the Skullknight, i spontaniously imagined a really, REALLY raspy voice. Like he has gravel for vocal cords. :badbone:
Ocelot: "Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!"

Top Bottom