Handcrafted samurai armor and swords from japan

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Haha, nice link dude.

I'm not nearly goofy (or rich) enough to buy any of this stuff for the sake of having "samurai" gear, but I've always thought that hakama looked comfortable.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
They even have two different replica Musashi swords!
mushi.gif

http://www.samurai-store.com/sword/m004/index.html

Never seen this brown one before, it looks nice.

http://www.samurai-store.com/sword/m005/index.html

Now I believe I've actually held one of this variety in my hand, and very carefully, since it was as expensive as advertised here.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
If they get a "stick Musashi would probably approve of" I may actually buy it.

Griffith

Yeah, this stiff is pretty offensive, the Musashi way is to carve your own from a rotting stick!
mushi.gif

Anyway, I don't have anything so outlandish, but I do have bokken and a few cool WWII era Japanese swords. I'll post pictures of them if anyone is interested.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
宮本 グリフィス said:
Anyway, I don't have anything so outlandish, but I do have bokken and a few cool WWII era Japanese swords. I'll post pictures of them if anyone is interested.
Please do! And in poses Musashi would approve of, please.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I have a wooden practice sword too. hmm I think two actually, I'll look for them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------EDIT:

Found it!

bokken.jpg

Griffith

Walter said:
Please do! And in poses Musashi would approve of, please.

My pose is one with heaven and earth... no pose!

Th3Branded0ne said:
I have a wooden practice sword too. hmm I think two actually, I'll look for them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------EDIT:

Found it!

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/3166/bokken.jpg​

Nice, where'd you pick that up? I got mine at a sword collector shop outside of Santa Cruz, the rest are from my father's collection:

sword1.jpg

Sheathed.

sword2.jpg

Ready for action! Or pictures.

sword3.jpg

This one is the coolest overall, especially with the leather sheath (above).

sword4.jpg

I've taken them apart and put them back together, tightened them up, etc. This one was missing the pin, so I made it a new one. There's also some cardboard on there around the guard if you look closely. Mushi would approve.

sword5.jpg

Machine made, not quite the Samurai 3000, but very tight, sleek, and sturdy. I'd probably grab this one if I actually needed to cut something.

sword6.jpg

BATTLE DAMAGE!

sword7.jpg

My favorite.

sword8.jpg

Shark skin. :chomp:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Whoa, yeah the gold one is my favorite among those as well.

The only "sword" i own is a wooden practice bokken I bought when I was in Kendo in college. I have no idea where it is now.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Those are totally nice Griff! The one I have was given to me by my current boss. I think he got it at a martial arts supply store.

Griffith

Walter said:
Whoa, yeah the gold one is my favorite among those as well.

Yeah, it's the cream of the crop, it also used to have a blue and gold tassle on the back of the handle to denote rank, but that made it less fun to play with. =)

I wish I could have seen the one's my father sold; apparently, these are the leftovers.

Walter said:
The only "sword" i own is a wooden practice bokken I bought when I was in Kendo in college. I have no idea where it is now.

Find a tree, and carve one.
denshichiro.gif

How did that kendo class work out for you, BTW?

Th3Branded0ne said:
Those are totally nice Griff! The one I have was given to me by my current boss. I think he got it at a martial arts supply store.

Ever take it out and practice with it? When I bought mine, my friend Kenny bought a rapier, and later we went into my yard and had a little match, which was very stupid because we set up no ground rules and and ended up swinging as hard as we could. I still remember hearing and feeling that thing whistling by my head.
Hmmm, maybe I should revive "Griffith's Real Life Stories of Berserk" with a Real Life Story of Vagabond.
mushi.gif

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
宮本 グリフィス said:
Ever take it out and practice with it?

I do some swing here at work, which is where is at. I really don't have a partner like you did. But it must be fun doing it with someone and just feel the impact of your swings.

Bokken are cheap anyways. I found some for 7 bucks in Amazon.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Kendo was fun, but it required too much time of me in college. It was just a fun hobby to learn the basic forms. Me picking up Viz' editions and the Musashi writings around this time probably made it more exciting too.
mushi.gif

Griffith

Th3Branded0ne said:
I do some swing here at work, which is where is at. I really don't have a partner like you did. But it must be fun doing it with someone and just feel the impact of your swings.

Yeah, until we both realized we didn't know what we were doing and risked serious injury. :ganishka:

Th3Branded0ne said:
Bokken are cheap anyways. I found some for 7 bucks in Amazon.

Yeah, they're very affordable, though you can find many for a variety of prices. I remember there was an ebay store that specialized in some beautifully handcrafted ones that were pretty expensive.

Walter said:
Kendo was fun, but it required too much time of me in college. It was just a fun hobby to learn the basic forms. Me picking up Viz' editions and the Musashi writings around this time probably made it more exciting too.
mushi.gif
Yeah, I would go out and swing it around to "keep my arms in shape." But I was really cutting down dozens of master Fudos.
kojiro.gif

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
宮本 グリフィス said:
Yeah, until we both realized we didn't know what we were doing and risked serious injury. :ganishka:
You weren't prepared to place your life on the line in battle. You lost before the fight began!

Griffith

Walter said:
You weren't prepared to place your life on the line in battle.

No, no I wasn't. =)

Walter said:
You lost before the fight began!
Actually, I was ahead before the fight began by doing fancy looking sword spins and twirls that psyched him out.
mushi.gif

I should have contemplated whether I needed to fight if I'd already won.

Did you do any sparring in those kendo classes, or at least demonstrations of positions and techniques with two people at low/no speed?

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Today, is my day off from work, so I went to the Asian market almost in walking proximity if not blocked by the freeway. So I saw this and I couldn't resist buying it. It as only $6.00, and so here it is. I didn't want to make a new thread about it, so I put it here since I think it is also been handcrafted.

strawhat.jpg

UPDATED PICTURE

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
宮本 グリフィス said:
Haha, excellent, ready for your travels! :ganishka:

I actually did take a stroll to my friend's home in the middle of this hot Arizona weather. He wasn't home, cameback and stopped for a slurpee at 7 eleven ( instead of a bamboo filled with water). :ganishka:

UPDATE:____________

I found this around the house today, it seems it was purchased in one of those thrift shops. I thought it looked interesting, kinda like where Takuan or Mushi might hang out sometimes. And it is actually made in japan as the pic shows.

dscn0842.jpg

dscn0847.jpg

Griffith

Nice find, I found this little cup set, or whatever it is, while cleaning out some cabinets at my house, the inscription on the side was the inspiration for this thread

Anyway, here it is, and the little cup (about 2'x3') can be put inside the big container (about 3'x3'):

cup1.jpg

cup2.jpg

cup3.jpg

I'm not sure what it is, but my imagination like to think of it as a little dinner set, where you can put some drink in the little cup, your meal in the container, and the top you could put some light dressing or sauce in for dipping.

Th3Branded0ne said:
Not really made in japan, but I think it's a nice tribute to Sekishusai's crotch scratcher.

img000055.jpg

I saw one of those in my grandma's kitchen like a couple years ago.... I looked again recently and I couldn't find it anymore. Funny tribute to Sekishusai by the way it made me laugh. :ganishka:

Griffith

buddha.jpg

Little wooden Buddha. I like him.

chopsticks.jpg

Chopsticks rigged for people that can't use chopsticks. :badbone:

Top Bottom