What do you do for a living

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Har Har. I'm also 21. Seems to be a lot of us floating around. Currently a student enrolled in a digital design degree. Really cool thread. Neat to see what everyone does!

Greeting everyone I just discovered this website, and subsequently this board when trying to find pretty much a site like this one for berserk. I saw this thread and thought it to be a decent enough way to introduce myself.

I am a 24 yr old full time student and federal work study(gov pays me to work on my campus to apply my curriculum in an actual job). My major being biology and I work in a biology lab. I also work at a GameStop(horrible place to work) at night.

ori said:
I'm 25 and I am a sorter at UPS. I make sure the loaders are getting the proper boxes to load in the trucks plus it's my job to yell at them when they are working slow lol.

I worked at ups as a loader/unloader from when I was 16 til I was 18, got ripped but realized school = power of choice of what I want to do for a job.

Nice to meet all of you. :ubik:

Soli said:
I worked at ups as a loader/unloader from when I was 16 til I was 18, got ripped but realized school = power of choice of what I want to do for a job.

Nice to meet all of you. :ubik:

When did you work there? 16? I know for a fact they don't hire 16 yr olds in my area.

......I finished school already and been trying to find an entry-level graphic design job but to no avail. Well there ARE jobs out there but I am making more at UPS than at any of these entry level jobs available.

I decided I'm going back to school for something else since most of the students I graduated with are having the same problem. I'm dreading it because it was hard paying for my education on my own. But UPS isn't that bad of a job considering the benefits they offer man.

I believe I started in 2003, maybe 2002 at the Jefferson st hub in Chicago IL. I applied a week before I turned 16 and got the job the day of and began working a day after I turned 16. Honestly, I loved being a teamster. It was fun as balls just working out all day there.

There was an odd set of events that happened that led to me just not showing up anymore. I was working with a woman who I never met before at the hub and we chit-chatted throughout the day as we loaded the trucks as usually and she began to open up and talk about her son. Her son was a promising young man some years back who refused to leave the shitty south side Chicago neighborhood to go to a university becuase he wanted to stick to his roots. Some time into his first semester at a community college he was gunned down by gang members in a mugging on his way home from school. I was pretty stunned that she told me all of this and she said "My son wasn't killed by hate or gang violence or a bullet, he was killed becuase he refused to leave a situation that was bad for him. I see the same potential in him as I do in you."

I walked out that day. A week later I had applied for an alternative high school program, got my diploma some time later and now I'm college in a major I absolutely love and I have never regretted walking out that job since. What is odd though is I never got the woman's name, and she never got mine. :schnoz:

But I digress, Back then you could work for UPS at the age of 16, That may have changed now(almost 6 years later) with all the stay in school initiatives and everything. Well thats an odd little bit of my own story. :rakshas:

I remember telling her something along the lines of "thanks for the tip" then kinda had that moment of resolution where I just walked off the job heh(kinda like that moment in a movie or a show where the main character is walking towards what they want with some theme music playing). But ya, Never got the woman's name and she never got mine, kind of an odd set of events but it kicked up my already insubordinate, chaotic attitude. I tend to just stride towards things I want, I don't like waiting in lines heh. I'm glad you guys liked the story. When I was working that job is when a friend introduced me to the Berserk anime and subsequently years later to research the manga, and subsequently find out more about it and eventually this forum. :ubik: Thanks for all the comments though. You guys and gals and apostles and trolls and whatnot all seem like a cool bunch. If only I could get my gf to read Berserk now...

I turned 28 years old this past September (god I feel old >_<') and I work as a Market/ Business Research analyst for a Law Firm in NYC. We specialize in US Immigration matters, specifically Work + Miscellaneous Visa's (H/ L/ K/ J/ E/ B/ etc.), Green Cards, and Deportation Cases. I'm also a Consultant for the firm and know as much as the lawyer sitting in the next cabin does due to my reading + research over the years out of interest. I finished my Bachelor's Degree in Commerce first and moved on to get an MBA in Marketing & Business from a US University. I'm currently here in the US on a work permit myself, and if the company feels I'm an asset, they'd probably start filing my paperwork for a Green Card, in time.

Ooohh and if anyone on the board is looking for US Immigration based advice, don't feel shy to hit me up :griffnotevil:

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
I'm 24 and I own a triplex that I bought almost outright with an inheritance I received a few years ago. It needed a lot of work(mostly cosmetic) but fortunately I'm quite handy and did almost all of it myself and now do all of the routine maintenance myself as well. The rent I receive monthly covers the triplex bills as well as all of my own monthly bills (barely) so I really don't do all that much :griffnotevil: I also own a manufactured home which is where I live.

I definitely plan to purchase more income properties in the future, I can't imagine doing a 9-5 job again after having the freedom of being a property owner. I'd say I love my job, but fixing up a house that you own doesn't even feel like a job.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Whoa, remember this thread, guys? :isidro: Another time capsule for you! There might be some overlap with the "Your Plans for the Future" thread, but I'm really curious to know how things have changed in the last almost 5+(?!) years! For those that posted, do you have the same job? If not, are you happy with the change?

I never posted in the old thread, so here's me: I'm currently 26 years old and working as a graphic designer at a utility analytics company. Specifically, my work involves creating stuff like emails, mailers, postcards, and PowerPoint presentation edits, along with two designers who are senior to me. It has its ups and its downs, but I work with a friendly group of marketing and communications folks, and I get some pretty solid pay. One bummer is that it can demand long hours, and cuts into my precious doodlin' time. :sad:

So, what about you?

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
I'm 25 now and work for a small A/V, Security, and Networking company in San Francisco. Some days I get to sit in rich-ass people's houses setting up wireless access points and forwarding ports for camera DVRs, some days I'm down and dirty drilling through wood/concrete/drywall and going in crawlspaces to run the wiring. It's probably obvious what I prefer :troll:

I enjoy when I actually get to do the networking part of the job and am learning new things about it, but it gets tiring being thrown into the construction side of things without much experience or an aptitude for that kind of work. Oh, and I commute from a city 2-3 hours away(luckily rarely in my own car) and that eats up most of my free time. Yes, I'm insane :judo:

Bank Manager
Live in MN with my wife of 10 years and our 5 year old daughter and my Dog Wrigley.

I go to movies a lot. Play XBOX 1: Mainly Destiny. I also love long walks on the beach.
Everything above is true except the long walks on the beach part.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
27 and I just finished up being a full time student while working on my master's degree in composition (Actually, I'm still working on my thesis, which is due in a week and a half). But prior to that I was an assistant band director for a junior high for two years. Now I'm looking for an interim job while I work on DMA applications for Fall 2016. THEN, if that all goes well, I'll hopefully have a career at a university.

I'm 34. I worked at a small company that sold office products for almost 10 years. I couldn't bring myself to watch The Office because it was too close to my own reality. :judo: LOL I worked in customer service, EDI (working with spreadsheets and updating item info), and then in accounting. I never finished college when I was younger and I've recently had the chance to go back to school. Right now I'm getting my basics out of the way while I try to decide what I want to be when I grow up. :???:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Grail said:
I'm really curious to know how things have changed in the last almost 5+(?!) years!

I'm still a writer, but now I make about 2x what I used to. :badbone: I landed this job after being laid off during a massive downsizing at my previous job. So, it all worked out okay, I guess.

Independent of that, the biggest change in my life since I posted in 2009 was becoming a dad, but I think there's already a thread about that. Oh yeah, and starting the podcast :ganishka:

I'm a Dentist. I can't really work right now because of health problem (had a lower back accident and then it took me a while to find some good medical care) I'm on a steady eoad to recovery ever since. I am hoping to be at 95-100% in a few months.

I'm 32. My day job is in IT as a QA Lead at a Mutual Fund, which is a fancy way of saying I test software, applications, and websites developed for portfolio managers, and international traders.

I used to work in film and commercials as a freelance producer and assistant director but the work is too inconsistent and seasonal in Chicago to make a good living at. I still do occasional freelance film work and work on my own projects on the weekends because I love it. In fact I met my wife on the set of a slasher film.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Finished anatomy in may, last class required to enter physical therapy program. Currently working at a company that builds engraving lasers. The building I'm in, built them there and tests them. Also, repairs purchased ones.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Salem said:
I love the diversity of all our careers and of course the mutual love of berserk.

I was just thinking the same thing! But of course, Joe Chip loves Berserk because Guts has great teeth. :SK:

Top Bottom