Current Episodes

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Current Episodes Thread

Translation finished! So, Itto knows of what Musashi has done with the Yoshioka. Itto seems to be glad about it. Seems to me is the old Itto as always, when he asked about if Mushi drank sake and if not he said, "Want to play" :ganishka:
I wonder if Itto was coming from the Yagyu and will deliver some bad news for Musashi?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Current Episodes Thread

Th3Branded0ne said:
I wonder if Itto was coming from the Yagyu and will deliver some bad news for Musashi?
Ahh, I hope that's not the case. But it could very well be so. And then, Musashi may actually consider a partnership with this manly badass :carcus:

Well, seems we were all wrong about the nature of this meeting. Itto just wants to partner with the strongest in Japan. But... I wonder how this will end for both of them. Itto still has things to do with his life, so I doubt he'll end up dead.

Current Episodes Thread

I don't think Ito is the type to pass up the opportunity to have a serious match with 'the strongest in Japan'.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Current Episodes Thread

Th3Branded0ne said:
So, Itto knows of what Musashi has done with the Yoshioka. Itto seems to be glad about it. Seems to me is the old Itto as always, when he asked about if Mushi drank sake and if not he said, "Want to play" :ganishka:

Haha, yeah, the last part was a strange choice of words, especially with himself hanging out and all... good thing Musashi got away from that creepy old man. :guts:

Th3Branded0ne said:

Yeah, it was something even to consider in this episode before the translation, if Ito wasn't delivering Musashi ill tidings.

Walter said:
Ahh, I hope that's not the case. But it could very well be so. And then, Musashi may actually consider a partnership with this manly badass :carcus:

I don't know, just look at his initial reaction.

Walter said:
Well, seems we were all wrong about the nature of this meeting.

Actually, this was pretty much how I originally saw it, that Ito was basically being friendly, if not too familiar, and just rubbed Musashi the wrong way. I never really bought into the taunt, first because I didn't think Ito would have any reason to look down on Musashi (his type of guy, obviously), and we should have known for sure because if Ito had challenged Musashi like that, there's no way he would have just walked away. The second someone wants to be friends though, he's outta there. =)

Walter said:
Itto just wants to partner with the strongest in Japan. But... I wonder how this will end for both of them. Itto still has things to do with his life, so I doubt he'll end up dead.

Yeah, I can't say I see them being "partners" for long, if at all. As we've seen, Musashi just doesn't go for that sort of thing, and neither does Ito really, despite his excitement here. He really just wants to measure himself against Musashi... maybe even literally? :troll:

Bekul said:
I don't think Ito is the type to pass up the opportunity to have a serious match with 'the strongest in Japan'.

Yeah, he was already nudging things in that direction when Musashi split. I think Musashi was quite right not to trust Ito.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Current Episodes Thread

I was just looking at the preview pages, and really can't tell what pages they were based on. Anyone else?

Griffith

Current Episodes Thread

Looks like the first sketch is pages 6 and 7, and the second sketch pages 12 and 13.

Griffith

Current Episodes Thread

Walter said:
I will admit some personal bias against Ueda having tainted my rationale here. But that's all part of the experience of being a reader. I'm susceptible to feeling negative toward a particular character, just as you are toward Matahachi.
What? Me and Matay? We're cool, didn't you see my glowing review of his most recent appearance?
mushi.gif

Walter said:
I understand that Ueda is representing the perspective of those caught in the wake of Musashi's spiral. And Ueda is special of course, because he did not fade away like the others, but had the strong will to cling on just to haunt/investigate Musashi. I also understand the literary benefits of having an alternate, critical perspective of our protagonist. However, when you cut down to the chase, I can't see how his ultimate revelation on Musashi's nature will be unique for the readers. I fail to see the payoff, and I admit it is premature.

It's more than premature because we're not even sure what we're dealing with her so far as of yet, let alone how it's going to further develop. As is always the case, the official translation of 29 put everything, including Ueda's feelings and role, into much clearer light, and he barely even got started until volume 30. I went over just the fan translations for it last night, and even though they leave something to be desire, I still think you're way off base here. Anyway, I find your expectations, or lack thereof, disturbing. =)

Walter said:
But as I began the post by saying, I will question every step of Ueda's development because I simply don't like that a defeated loser is peering over Musashi's shoulder criticizing his every move. It's genuinely unsettling to me -- especially for someone who's fallen from grace as much as Ueda has. I find his air of superiority nauseating given his current circumstance. When Ueda finally realizes for himself that Musashi is on the right path and gives up his futile haunt, maybe then I'll have enough respect for him to applaud this effort. But for now, all I can do is frown in distaste on these scenes.

Well, that's a heavy bias to weigh down those scenes with rather than being open to them as they come. Not only a bias against Ueda, but one in favor of for Musashi, like he's above reproach here. Musashi's slaying of 70 men hasn't exactly been followed up by him basking in the glory of victory and enlightenment, anything but, with even Musashi himself questioning whether he's even the winner. On the flipside, I also wouldn't reduce Ueda to just some bitter loser complaining either, his role and feelings concerning Musashi have only grown more complex and nuanced. He's not even rooting against him, per se.

UPDATE:

Would someone please translate the title of 271 for the Inn's volumes section?

271.jpg

Griffith

Current Episodes Thread

That's a separate piece of text, and from the look of it, not identical to the episode title, though I could be wrong. I'd like it confirmed in any case.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Current Episodes Thread

宮本 グリフィス said:
That's a separate piece of text, and from the look of it, not identical to the episode title, though I could be wrong. I'd like it confirmed in any case.

I went to dictionary.com to find out for sure. I say it's similar but the translation might not be so accurate, but close enough. We'll see when Viz does it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Current Episodes Thread

宮本 グリフィス said:
Wally, can you make anything out of it?
Top right of that page is: "Rasen no Kage" (螺旋の影) which translates to "Shadow of the Spiral."

However, as you've pointed out, that's not the chapter title. The lower portion, which you've highlighted in this thread is "#271 Wa no Naka" (#271 環の中) Here's what the online kanji dictionary I use (source: http://jisho.org/) says about it:

環 (わ)
1: ring; circle; loop;
2: hoop;
3: wheel

(nearly always means 'of')

中 (なか)
1: inside; in;
2: among; within;
3: center (centre); middle;
4: during; while

So, I'd say it's "Within the Ring," or very literally "Inside of Ring." Which makes sense given the events of the chapter.

On an unrelated note, I just noticed that the lettering in Japanese for Ueda's words is more elegant than Musashi's, and really anyone else's. The afterlife must enhance your brushstroke abilities.

Griffith

Current Episodes Thread

Much obliged for the research, "Within the Ring" it is then, which as you say, makes perfect sense given the events of the episode. In looking at the other episode titles, it's an interesting mix of literal things like this, more obscure references to the episode or something in it, and then the totally off the wall titles that you'd never guess, which makes guessing any episode title that much more difficult, because you never know which type Inoue will go with. I think a great combination of all three traits can be found in the title of episode 163: Six O'Clock at Sekigahara. Literal, sure, an obscure thing to reference, yeah, and I never would have guessed that was the title either. =)

Perhaps it's the translation, for example, Dawn at Sekihahara wouldn't raise an eyebrow.

Walter said:
On an unrelated note, I just noticed that the lettering in Japanese for Ueda's words is more elegant than Musashi's, and really anyone else's. The afterlife must enhance your brushstroke abilities.

Interesting, does hold true for the previous episodes? Or even when Ueda was alive?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Current Episodes Thread

On the whole, I'd say Inoue's chapter titles are pretty straightforward, and often even borrow from exact phrases said in the chapters. But yeah, he will wax poetic every now and then.

宮本 グリフィス said:
Interesting, does hold true for the previous episodes? Or even when Ueda was alive?
Nah, it's definitely different once he's dead. It's really not so surprising, or notable. I believe it just signifies it's a different kind of "speech" being used, and probably would even sound different, based on the weird bubbles Inoue uses around them. It's just a cool detail that they even use a different, more elegant font.

ueda-text1.jpg

vs

ueda-text2.jpg

Note the blockier kanji and brush strokes when alive, and overall more hand-written look of the afterlife Ueda.

Griffith

Current Episodes Thread

Walter said:
On the whole, I'd say Inoue's chapter titles are pretty straightforward, and often even borrow from exact phrases said in the chapters. But yeah, he will wax poetic every now and then.

Yeah, for comparisons sake, I'd say Miura more often will have the more poetic or at least thematic titles for individual episodes, while the trick with Inoue is what straightforward thing he highlights, because sometimes it's small or not even central to the episode. Sort of like how his between episode doodles in the volumes will emphasize things perhaps not foremost on our minds.

Walter said:
Nah, it's definitely different once he's dead. It's really not so surprising, or notable. I believe it just signifies it's a different kind of "speech" being used, and probably would even sound different, based on the weird bubbles Inoue uses around them. It's just a cool detail that they even use a different, more elegant font.

Kind of the equivalent of adding a slight singsong echo to ghost voices in the movies? =)

"Muuuuuussssaaaaashhiiiiiiiiii OOooooOooooOoooooooooo!"

vol.gif

277a.gif

277b.gif

〆 cut on the eve of the day and 5,6書KIMASHITARA can eat food, you get fat?
Was heard.
And not the other way other than actually is the same weight.
For the body, what's not going to bring in food from溜ME込MOU soon.
This is the way to active metabolism.
The amount of food we eat is not always DOKATTO.
The adult male may be slightly less.

Inoue Takehiko

Shit just got real. :daiba:

Ito finally introduces himself, which brings Musashi, shocked, to his feet. They exchange a few words but Ito quickly gets serious. It seems he did visit the Yagyu and the old man himself, where he... basically pulls a knife on our favorite geezer! But, unless Ito was just imagining the whole thing, old Yagyu pulled his usual Jedi mind trick and sent Ito packing to his waterfall to contemplate how much cooler Yagyu is than him. It ends with Ito and Musashi face to face, the wind is blowing, and perhaps the spiral is descending...

So, good news, Yagyu is still alive and Hyogo is with him. Potential bad news, still no proof that Ito has a working right arm, though on pages four through six he appears to simply have it stuck in his pocket, it's still becoming a telling lack of evidence at this point. Worse news, only one more episode before the volume break!

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Current Episodes Thread

Looks very promising. Indeed Itto's arm seems to be just hiding, injury?Wants to test the strength of his left are for now? So when he encounters Musashi drinking water that's when he was reflecting he just got owned by Yagyu. Good to know Yagyu stilll around. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Current Episodes Thread

WOW! A surprise face-to-face meeting of two of the most awesome characters in the series. I know we discussed this as a possibility, but nothing prepared me for seeing Itto and Sekishusai sitting down together, chatting it up :guts: .

Here's my impression of the chapter, though obviously there's no translation yet, so this is bound to be wrong in some regard. But I could catch a few key phrases.

Musashi recognizes Ittosai's name, and calls him one of the strongest. Itto said he can't claim that title anymore, and tells him about his encounter with Yagyu. Itto is granted audience with Sekishusai after the Yagyu disciple (the one resembling a bear, can't remember his name!) recognizes his name. Itto and Sekishusai talk about the "greatest under the sun." Itto challenges Sekishusai's belief that the sword is nothing. So, Itto whips his out and threatens him. Sekishusai says it is still nothing, and Itto becomes overwhelmed with his presence, similar to how Musashi was when they first met.

I'd really like to know the final phrase Itto says before the chapter ends... It will probably set the tone for the next chapter. I have the kanji broken down (もうこれが最後かも知れぬ), but I don't know how to put it all together in a cohesive manner. Roughly, it's something like "this is my final/conclusion of wisdom/knowledge." So... yeah. Final revelation?

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Current Episodes Thread

What I got from breaking it down how it is in the text bubble is this

もうこれが Already this
最後かも Whether end
知れぬ You cannot know

So, you think it could say " I don't know if this is the end for me" Oh well, we'll find out something better than this soon.

Griffith

Current Episodes Thread

Walter: awesome chapter.

Griffith: Oh yeah.

Walter: Poor Itto =(
It's strange to see him get schooled.

Griffith: Well, like I said, he's always reminded me more of Musashi and his Dad then the real enlightened geezers. =)
But yeah, it's sorry to see him acknowledge it.
"less than"

Walter: i told Aaz this was like SK and Void sitting down for a talk.

Griffith: Because I thought he had his own enlightenment, despite maybe being more on "the dark side." =)

Walter: yeah, me too.

Griffith: Darth Itto!

Walter: but, it makes sense.

Griffith: Yeah.
BTW, if you felt bad for him now...

Walter: he did have his own path. and when he put his mind against Yagyu, he came up short.

Griffith: wait til you see the photoshop I did. =)

Walter: oh?
youd better not sully Ito!

Griffith: haha
I have two versions, one maybe does, the other no.
I went with the cool one.

Griffith:
itofinalmission.jpg

There's the embarrassing alternative.

Walter: SAIMONO MI-SHUN

Griffith: So, you agree with my choice?
Or should I switch them up!

Walter: i like the mouth open one, strangely =)

Griffith: Well then.
He looks like Saddam with the open mouth.
Maybe that's part of the Ito love, we're combining their crazy. =)

Walter: hahahaha

Griffith: Switched to the open mouth
Big Mouth Bass Ito!

Walter: good choice.
I GOT A BIG ONE!

Griffith: I was only holding it back not to offend you. =)
Since he looks like he's going to throw up to boot

Walter: nah, its in good fun

Griffith: I wonder if it isn't far off.
“KAMAAN MUSASHI, KIILL MEEEE!!!!"

Walter: "Add my name to your kill roster..."

Griffith: "I'M HEEEERREEE!”
This is new ground for Musashi.
He has old masters hunting him now. =)

Walter: he looked really surprised, yeah
Ito Ittosai...?!
then Ito looks bored, hahahah

Griffith: Yeah, disappointed that Musashi is impressed. =)

Walter: hahahah

Griffith: "That's below you, isn't it?"
"You killed 70 men."

Walter: i wonder how he'd score Yagyu =)

Griffith: Yeah, Yagyu made Ito seem like one of those punks that used to pursue him. =)

Walter: im actually really surprised Shoda (thanks for reminding me) even admitted him.
even given his name.

Griffith: He was always too cool for school, but Yagyu was even cooler.

Walter: maybe he thought Sekishusai could talk some sense into him.

Griffith: haha

Walter: anyway, im of course anxious for a translation
though i think i pretty much know what's been said.

Griffith: I like how Yagyu is somehow less tethered, yet better dedicated to the way.
Like Ito is too attached to the sword itself.
"I don't care about that thing."
"STILL don't care?"
"...Nah."

Walter: yep =)
Yagyu looks like it's an awkward situation too, hahah
"Oh, youre one of ... those people."
I imagine he'll get excited when Mushi visits.

Griffith: Yeah, like Ito's embarrassing.
As if he crapped himself in Yagyu's home or something.
Still wearing Otsu's hat too. =)

Walter: awwww

Griffith: We only have one more episode then Inoue's on break too. =(
Bad timing.
Miura and Inoue need to coordinate.

Walter: yep...

Griffith: So, what do you think happens here?
Million dollar question.

Walter: you mean next?

Griffith: Yeah, between Musashi and Ito.

Walter: if youd asked me last chapter, id say it would come down to a fight
but ... now he seems a little defeated.
i wonder if he'll try to convince Mushi away from the path.
and hell show his arm as emphasis =)

Griffith: I don't know about that, he still wanted to fight just last episode. =)
I don't think Ito is going to go the Jisai route.
If anything... he’d want a blaze of glory.
That tells you where I think it's going.
Though I don't know that Musashi will accommodate, this might be his lesson in not fighting, or at least not killing.

Walter: thats true. on reflection, i really dont see this ending in bloodshed.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Current Episodes Thread

Remember in the last page in 276 Itto asked Musashi if he was setting off to Yagyu. I am guesssing in 277 Itto talks about what is Musashi trying to accomplish by going there. Then, we get that flashback of Itto at the Yagyu and explaining to Musashi what he accomplished by having that meeting with Sekishusai. Since the breaks is coming, I"m thinking Inoue will end it with Musashi finally arriving and meeting with Sekishusai and Hyogo.

Griffith

Current Episodes Thread

Walter said:
WOW! A surprise face-to-face meeting of two of the most awesome characters in the series. I know we discussed this as a possibility, but nothing prepared me for seeing Itto and Sekishusai sitting down together, chatting it up :guts: .

Yeah, I figured Ito must have some news of Yagyu, being there himself, but actually seeing them together... and neither disappointed.

Walter said:
Here's my impression of the chapter, though obviously there's no translation yet, so this is bound to be wrong in some regard. But I could catch a few key phrases.

Musashi recognizes Ittosai's name, and calls him one of the strongest. Itto said he can't claim that title anymore, and tells him about his encounter with Yagyu. Itto is granted audience with Sekishusai after the Yagyu disciple (the one resembling a bear, can't remember his name!) recognizes his name. Itto and Sekishusai talk about the "greatest under the sun." Itto challenges Sekishusai's belief that the sword is nothing. So, Itto whips his out and threatens him. Sekishusai says it is still nothing, and Itto becomes overwhelmed with his presence, similar to how Musashi was when they first met.

Sounds good to me, and nice to see Ito gets more respect from the likes of Shoda than Den or Musashi, despite looking the gruffest of all. Anyway, Ito's devil may care style has finally been thrown back in his face. It's kind of ironic, for all of Ito's irreverence, it's like he somehow still cares more for the stuffy traditions of the sword than... what should be a stuffy old man of the sword. He's been out-cooled by grandpa, in old person "I don't give a shit" fashion.

Walter said:
I'd really like to know the final phrase Itto says before the chapter ends... It will probably set the tone for the next chapter. I have the kanji broken down (もうこれが最後かも知れぬ), but I don't know how to put it all together in a cohesive manner. Roughly, it's something like "this is my final/conclusion of wisdom/knowledge." So... yeah. Final revelation?

UPDATE: Translation's out, and as usual, we were way off base, and as usual, for the better. =)

Very cool stuff. Anyway, ITO LIVES, and I definitely think he's bored and looking for a fight. My favorite part:
Sekishusai's retort to Ito and his reaction made me chortle aloud, especially after all that heavy, literally eye-roll inducing, philosophical talk, I loved it.

Current Episodes Thread

Awww I don't want Sekishusai to die he was a nice old man :judo: Hmmmm I wonder what Musashi is talking about when he said this might be the end already, could he perhaps be talking about the fact that he cannot walk properly anymore so even he cannot try and become unrivaled under heaven like Yagyu Sekishusai.
What are your guys thought's about this ?

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Current Episodes Thread

Th3Branded0ne said:
I"m not going to say I called it, but I kinda was in the area.

slan69 said:
What are your guys thought's about this ?
This episode was nice! I Like what Musashi said to Ittosai. "Are you the real one, you're still alive too?" :ganishka:
I like the chat Itto and Yagyu had. Yagyu rocks! So, if this is the end of the "unrivaled under heaven", is it also the birth of another "unrivaled under heaven"?

Top Bottom