I just watched the anime and was like WOW

This was like the best storyline Ive ever seen in a anime and the most action.
Like when guts was like :sad: and then was like :guts: and Griff was like :griff: and then guts was like :beast: and then i was like :isidro: and then this guy was like :void: and then i was like :???: . It is Pritty much awesome. I would like to know what happens after the anime though.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Mr. Diamonds said:
This was like the best storyline Ive ever seen in a anime and the most action.
Like when guts was like :sad: and then was like :guts: and Griff was like :griff: and then guts was like :beast: and then i was like :isidro: and then this guy was like :void: and then i was like :???: . It is Pritty much awesome. I would like to know what happens after the anime though.

Like you should totally like read the manga and then like join us with some serious posting in the Berserk boards.

And it IS the best story!

Where would the best place to buy the manga be?

*edit*
I found that auctions thing but is all in Japanese, does anyone know where to download a translator program?

Mr. Diamonds said:

*edit*
I found that auctions thing but is all in Japanese, does anyone know where to download a translator program?

Just buy the mangas from Amazon or Chapters that would be your best bet

Oburi

All praise Grail
You just got to buy the manga Mr. Diamonds, if you want to keep up with recent episodes you'll have too.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Dark Horse currently publishes Berserk in English. They're up to volume 29 (of 33 currently). They can be found online at Amazon, or just about any self-respecting comic book store (oxy moron?).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Thread moved to the proper section.

Mr. Diamonds said:

Amazon.com
Darkhorse.com

For Japanese volumes:

Sasugabooks.com
Yesasia.com
Amazon.co.jp

We have text translations here for the later volumes, in case you want to purchase them in Japanese.

KazigluBey said:
The anime is great, the soundtrack however is not.

A lot of people would disagree with you here, myself included. Berserk's OST is really quite good as far as I am concerned.

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
Listening to it is like nails on a chalkboard to me. The intro. song is especially annoying. I'd prefer a fully classical score without any singing.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
KazigluBey said:
Listening to it is like nails on a chalkboard to me. The intro. song is especially annoying. I'd prefer a fully classical score without any singing.

The intro by Penpals is quite different from the rest (by Susumu Hirasawa). Most of the OST doesn't feature any real singing aside from Tell Me Why, Waiting So Long and Forces.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
KazigluBey said:
Nobuo Uematsu would have been perfect for it.
Yeah, that's exactly what a dark-fantasy series like Berserk needs: synthesized, derivative, classical music! :ganishka:

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
Walter said:
Yeah, that's exactly what a dark-fantasy series like Berserk needs: synthesized, derivative, classical music! :ganishka:

The soundtrack I heard didn't sound anything like a great companion sound to a a "dark-fantasy series". A lot of it sounded outdated and cheesy.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
KazibluGey said:
The soundtrack I heard didn't sound anything like a great companion sound to a a "dark-fantasy series". A lot of it sounded outdated and cheesy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRFAGscGx-A

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
Walter said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRFAGscGx-A

As a fan of a lot of darkwave music, this just doesn't do much for me. If it isn't something you listen to normally then I can see how it might seem dark. If they wanted intense, nightmarish sounding music they could have gone with Squaremeter.

Oburi

All praise Grail
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfZTJi7KekQ&feature=related

What about this song, Behelit, as its called. THis one is perfect for Berserk.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
KazibluGey said:

Just think! If they'd had Nobuo on board, it could have sounded like every fantasy video game franchise since the Playstation. Yay!

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
Lithrael said:
Just think! If they'd had Nobuo on board, it could have sounded like every fantasy video game franchise since the Playstation. Yay!

Composer's tend to to listen to what the director/producer says if they want to get paid. Nobuo has created music outside of the Final Fantasy setting. Assuming he'd just regurgitate a FF soundtrack is selling him a little short.

Oburi said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfZTJi7KekQ&feature=related

What about this song, Beherit, as its called. THis one is perfect for Berserk.

Sounds like a darker version of most "world" music. Sorry, I just wasn't blown away by the OST. To each their own.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
KazibluGey said:
If they wanted intense, nightmarish sounding music they could have gone with Squaremeter.
Oh, so it's either video game music or drum and bass? That's quite the black+white argument you've created. I'm not so sure it's realistic to expect an anime studio to contract an underground German drum-and-bass guru to do dramatic scenes. Especially not in 1997.

Anyway, this is all missing the point in my opinion. For one, Miura has said that he listened to Susumu when creating Berserk and that it was an influence for him. Collaborating must have been a dream come true for Miura. And another, I'm sure Susumu was also chosen because his music has a much different style and atmosphere than other composers in Japan. Berserk likewise is very unique. They complement each other, I think. ... But fuck that. The Eclipse would have sounded better with ONE WINGED ANGEL! :ganishka:

PS: If you want a taste at what Uematsu has done independent of video game music, check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvsqsGC5omw

eclipse-anime.jpg

Now, just listen to that with this to get the full effect! Track title? ANGEL HANDS! (A black and white argument to go along with Kazi's =) )​

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
Squaretmeter isn't Drum and Bass, it's Darkwave/dark ambient, Mootz' side project. The Panacea is his Drum and Bass project, which I'm not a fan of. Dark Ambient is a style that would fit something like Berserk well.

I'm not questioning why Miura chose to have the soundtrack done this way, I'm just saying as the end user of the anime, I didn't like the soundtrack.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
KazigluBey said:
Squaretmeter isn't Drum and Bass, it's Darkwave/dark ambient, Mootz' side project. The Panacea is his Drum and Bass project, which I'm not a fan of. Dark Ambient is a style that would fit something like Berserk well.
My bad then, I'd never heard of the guy so I just did a quick search roundup. That being said, you have to admit this guy is pretty fucking obscure. Not exactly a realistic choice for an anime composer.

I'm not questioning why Miura chose to have the soundtrack done this way, I'm just saying as the end user of the anime, I didn't like the soundtrack.
And you're entitled to your opinion. However, some backlash should be expected when you criticize Susumu's music, since it holds a special place in most Berserk fans' hearts -- mine included, of course.

Top Bottom