Episode 305

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
He did a good job with his interpretation of trolls, as well as making elves more like fairy's than like what you'd see in LOTR. I like the design concept variations, but when you have a unicorn, it's just a unicorn and immediately it felt like it was completely out of place. Just have to wait and see what part they have to play. If they can be written into something interesting then I'll retract my statement. ;)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
KazigluBey said:
He did a good job with his interpretation of trolls, as well as making elves more like fairy's than like what you'd see in LOTR. I like the design concept variations, but when you have a unicorn, it's just a unicorn and immediately it felt like it was completely out of place. Just have to wait and see what part they have to play. If they can be written into something interesting then I'll retract my statement. ;)
I don't know what you people are expecting of the unicorns. A unicorn arc? A unicorn flashback telling the tale of their people? It's just a mythical creature that of course looks out of place, because it IS out of place in the Berserk world. It's so freshly out of place it's being devoured by a hydra on Old McDonald's crops.

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
Walter said:
I don't know what you people are expecting of the unicorns. A unicorn arc? A unicorn flashback telling the tale of their people? It's just a mythical creature that of course looks out of place, because it IS out of place in the Berserk world. It's so freshly out of place it's being devoured by a hydra on Old McDonald's crops.

Out of place in a story like the one in Berserk. The Kushan creatures were great, something I didn't expect that worked great and was entertaining. Maybe that's the only time we'll see the Unicorns, who knows. All I can say is my first reaction was wtf?

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
KazigluBey said:
Out of place in a story like the one in Berserk. The Kushan creatures were great, something I didn't expect that worked great and was entertaining. Maybe that's the only time we'll see the Unicorns, who knows. All I can say is my first reaction was wtf?

And I was WTF as well, but in a good way. I was like oh a unicorn, and then they became a buffet for the hydra, it was a great wtf moment. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
KazigluBey said:
Out of place in a story like the one in Berserk.
If it were a black, EEEEEVIL unicorn, would that have met your standard for what should or shouldn't be in the Berserk world? What if it's secretly thinking bad thoughts? Like sacrificing its fellow unicorn friends?

And yeah, to continue with Branded's post, I think Miura made it clear the next panel after the unicorns introduction what their role would be -- food for more violent creatures in this new chaotic world. It's like the cover of a metal album. How can you not dig this?!

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
Walter said:
If it were a black, EEEEEVIL unicorn, would that have met your standard for what should or shouldn't be in the Berserk world? What if it's secretly thinking bad thoughts? Like sacrificing its fellow unicorn friends?

Spare me the sarcasm. If you don't like opposing opinions then why bother replying? Without em' it's just a circle jerk.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It's less that I don't like them and more that I'm baffled by this particular one. I mean, Zodd's a hybrid of mythological creatures, but he's ok with fans.

See my updated post above.

Well in a way all the apostles are non-traditional mythical creatures that Miura created so if he has to show the merging of worlds without much dialogue then using traditional mythical creatures i.e. unicorns, hydra etc. illustrates the point better. I think.

Although I don't know why but I assumed that everything in the other world was inherently evil i.e. hydra. Seeing poor pretty unicorns getting gobbled up makes it seems that either it is a merging of more than one world or that in the 'other' world there too exist the hunters and hunted. Unless we see the unicorns busting out into a mean monster form.... that would be freakin awesome.

We sort of have an idea that everyone including guts and co. are enveloped by the light but I wonder what happened to all the apostles and SK, Daiba etc. who were at the epicenter... Also somehow after encountering Uber-Ganishka, mini ganishkas and all the apostles in the last battle even the fierce hydra seems a little tame...

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
Walter said:
It's less that I don't like them and more that I'm baffled by this particular one. I mean, Zodd's a hybrid of mythological creatures, but he's ok with fans.

See my updated post above.

I know it's nitpicking. Right, he's a hybrid, so he has something different about him than if he were to be a minotaur or something like that. I guess with creatures that are unique creations you don't have previous associations in mind that can dictate your reaction, like with Unicorns. I've always liked fantasy related stuff (picture of Darkness in prior post being evidence of this) so I associate more well known creatures with mythology from our own world, not that of a fantasy world created in modern times. I see Zodd and I haven't come across anything like that before so it peaks my interest more.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
MaN said:
Although I don't know why but I assumed that everything in the other world was inherently evil i.e. hydra.
Well, that's not the case. Elves are residents of the spiritual world too. They aren't evil.

Seeing poor pretty unicorns getting gobbled up makes it seems that either it is a merging of more than one world or that in the 'other' world there too exist the hunters and hunted.
To clear up this confusion, let me quote Schierke in vol 25 as she was explaining the Qliphoth:

"The vast extent of the astral world comprises many regions, each with its own characteristic atmosphere."
"Ethereal bodies tend to gravitate toward ods of the same nature. Warm ods would be drawn toward warmth..." etc. etc.

In layman's terms: bad guys live in a different region than good guys. As I said earlier in the thread, the Hydra and the Unicorn were probably in different regions, but were ended up near each other with the merging of worlds.

I think it's a good thing to see something less big and mean like a unicorn. Until now, apart from the elves, all other monsters/creatures have been attacking humans. It shows that not -everything- is out to eat humans. I mean, the world isn't all darkness, well, at least it wasn't until now.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
KazigluBey said:
I could picture the Apostles sitting around base camp with a unicorn cooking on the rotisserie.

I'm glad too see you're turning around.

Anyways, most of this talk is just OLD. It's been done to death. Did Miura let us down with the trolls? No. Guys, just wait for the return of the chosen one... :schnoz:.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
宮本 グリフィス said:
Well, you have to make an effort to think about the big picture first, and the actual point and purpose behind these mythological or "fantasy" creatures. I think it's safe to say Miura could make up as many random creatures as he wants, and will continue to, but he's intentionally tying into a longstanding mythology for a reason here, not exploiting it for lack of creativity. No offense, but it sounds like that problem is on your end. Don't let a limited experience with these things, in cartoons or big budget fantasy movies, narrow your scope in how you see this.

Again, the theme has been famous mythological creatures somehow appearing in the real world, he can't very well tie that into the story, most importantly in the audiences mind, if he makes up more original monsters to stand in for these creatures, especially when there's already plenty of original creations present. Think of how it would change your perception, complaints aside, they'd just be more Berserk monsters, we wouldn't think of them as "mythological" even if they were known as such to the characters in the story.

Yes, it's a problem on my end, i agree that i can't be objective when magic and generic fantasy is involved. I have complained before about the overuse of those themes in Berserk. I prefer stuff more grounded in reality. Like the chapter of lost children. It's still dark fantasy, but more in a Robert E. Howard vein.
The lighter themes (kiddie stuff) in Berserk used to piss me off. But now i just shrug it off. Isidro is just the same character since... ever! The witch had some evolution but i still can't take that character serious, she's so out of place. It was like BAM! Here's a kid who's a witch with a robe and a pointy hat. After all you've been through while reading the series, how are you suppose to believe in a character like that in the world of Berserk?
So in conclusion, i can't really connect with the story when there's ALOT of fantasy involved. It does nothing for me, nor in fights, whenever. I'm not that big of a nerd or fanboy. I believe that fantasy produces a bigger inpact, and it's more ominous, when it's used in moderation, like we've seen so effectively in the past.

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I'm glad too see you're turning around.

Anyways, most of this talk is just OLD. It's been done to death. Did Miura let us down with the trolls? No. Guys, just wait for the return of the chosen one... :schnoz:.

All that needs to be said has been said, now lets bring on the shocked faces of the Griffith devotees as they realize he isn't the savior they hoped for and all hell breaks loose.

Funkmasta Zeph

Finely made wine since 1840
NightCrawler said:
The lighter themes (kiddie stuff) in Berserk used to piss me off.

I'm amused that you associate "lighter stuff" with being inately "kiddie".

The witch had some evolution but i still can't take that character serious, she's so out of place. It was like BAM! Here's a kid who's a witch with a robe and a pointy hat.

I don't get what's out of place, or how "sudden" you seem to think her appearance was.
After all you've been through while reading the series, how are you suppose to believe in a character like that in the world of Berserk?

From the moment Puck existed. In other words, Chapter One.

So in conclusion, i can't really connect with the story when there's ALOT of fantasy involved. It does nothing for me, nor in fights, whenever. I'm not that big of a nerd or fanboy.

Because clearly you have to be a nerd or fanboy to not be bothered by these things.
It sounds like your issue isn't actually with these elements but with some silly sense of being afraid to enjoy them.

I believe that fantasy produces a bigger inpact, and it's more ominous, when it's used in moderation, like we've seen so effectively in the past.

Exactly how do you make a merging of planes into a moderate thing.
I don't think you understand how dramatic an event this is, how would a massive semi-apocalyptic event be ominous.
It's supposed to be over the top.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
NightCrawler said:
Yes, it's a problem on my end, i agree that i can't be objective when magic and generic fantasy is involved.

Well, at least we're actually discussing it now, I appreciate that.

NightCrawler said:
I have complained before about the overuse of those themes in Berserk. I prefer stuff more grounded in reality. Like the chapter of lost children. It's still dark fantasy, but more in a Robert E. Howard vein.

That's pretty subjective in itself, I've read a lot of Howard, and I think much of the material in the last 10 volumes; characters, creatures, and events, would fit nicely in Howard's world, right up to the hydra devouring a unicorn. You guys are acting like it's the fucking Care Bears riding unicorns with rainbows out their ass or something. =)

NightCrawler said:
The lighter themes (kiddie stuff) in Berserk used to piss me off. But now i just shrug it off. Isidro is just the same character since... ever! The witch had some evolution but i still can't take that character serious, she's so out of place. It was like BAM! Here's a kid who's a witch with a robe and a pointy hat. After all you've been through while reading the series, how are you suppose to believe in a character like that in the world of Berserk?

Yeah, but those lighter themes have always been present, and if they're more present now, it's to offset a lot of darker material that, naturally, nobody is complaining about. Isidro is what he is, and I don't mind him being a kid. As for Schierke and her physical appearance, that was a challenge, but I don't mind that challenge either (it's a ballsy move by Miura on one hand), and superficiality aside, I really like her character, it's been over 10 volumes now, and at some point you just have to get over it. If it was a challenge then, it isn't anymore.

NightCrawler said:
So in conclusion, i can't really connect with the story when there's ALOT of fantasy involved. It does nothing for me, nor in fights, whenever.
NightCrawler said:
I believe that fantasy produces a bigger inpact, and it's more ominous, when it's used in moderation, like we've seen so effectively in the past.

The tragedy here to me though is that this is by no means just more of the lazy generic fantasy that's jaded you, this is going back to the well of folklore and mythology and doing it right for the most part, or at least it's Miura seizing it and doing it his own way. You of all people should embrace that, even if you might have preferred it stay on a smaller scale. I don't think we're being deprived of an intimate story though; it's my same point really with the fantasy creatures, it's not like were not also getting original designs still. I don't know, it seems like since we're getting it both ways in Berserk, people can just complain about everything. It's not like a unicorn is less down to earth than a pixie, or even most Apostle designs, which to me are way more outlandish and fantastical than a simple horse with a horn (seriously, compare these unicorns to the Apostles in volume 13, objectively, which look more grounded in reality?). Anyway, I usually don't even appreciate a volume until we're a few more passed it, but in the case of these last three episodes, I really don't see what's to complain about as of yet, unless you're nitpicking or assuming the worst.

Personally, I don't think the rampaging Hydra foreshadows "lighter themes." :zodd:

NightCrawler said:
I'm not that big of a nerd or fanboy.

Ha, try explaining that to someone who doesn't read Berserk. :ganishka:

KazigluBey said:
All that needs to be said has been said, now lets bring on the shocked faces of the Griffith devotees as they realize he isn't the savior they hoped for and all hell breaks loose.

Well, you could have responded to my thoughtful reply before. :griffnotevil:

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
宮本 グリフィス said:
Again, the theme has been famous mythological creatures somehow appearing in the real world, he can't very well tie that into the story, most importantly in the audiences mind, if he makes up more original monsters to stand in for these creatures, especially when there's already plenty of original creations present. Think of how it would change your perception, complaints aside, they'd just be more Berserk monsters, we wouldn't think of them as "mythological" even if they were known as such to the characters in the story.

I guess I wasn't aware of any point in the story where the theme was pointed out, other than coincidences. Any creature can become mythical if there is a legend or mythology to go with them which humans are aware of and that have become part of their culture.

For the people over-reacting IMO about the fantasy themes, its just a few creatures, give it a chance. You might find something more to your liking down the path. I really liked the hyrda. I'm wondering what sea monsters will be lurking now. I really hope Elfhelm isn't Elf-hell at this point.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Black_Devil said:
But wasn't the Qliphoth created by Slan? Or did she just take residence there? If the former, would you count that as a natural occurance in the spiritual world?

She kind of claims the place for her own by calling it her womb, but no, it's not implied that she created it. Nor did she really take residence there, as Griff pointed out.

jackson_hurley said:
what if the unicorns were normal horses before the light touched them? haha

I don't think that's the case. By all means unicorns aren't very different from horses though.

NightCrawler said:
Unicorns Miura? Fuckin seriously?
Fantasy nerds rejoice! The worlds have merged! More magic, more creatures, more trading cards! What a mess... The small picture that is. Cause i hope the big one is more ingenious.

Narrow-minded dimwits like you have been decrying any kind of meaningful change in Berserk since pretty much forever, so you'll forgive me if I laugh in your face here. As far as your posts on this forum show, you've never been able to see anything more than the smallest possible picture in every circumstance ever.

Fantasy nerds rejoice you say? No shit Sherlock, Berserk is a fantasy manga, haven't you noticed? That's how it's always been advertised and marketed. It's dark fantasy, but it's fantasy anyway. There have been cute little elves with magic healing powder in Berserk since volume 1. I think you're way overdue to get over it.

And really, why are you acting all surprised? I mean we'd had this coming for many years now. Did you doubt it would happen? Do you still think the events in Enoch didn't bring anything good to the story? If so, I pity you. You talk as if being increasingly diversified and encompassing traditional mythology inside its scope didn't make Berserk even greater than it would be if that wasn't the case. You're wrong. It does make Berserk greater, and not just that, but it lends it credibility as a coherent world.

So we've been shown unicorns in this episode. And what happened to the unicorns? They were attacked and some of them were eaten by a hydra. That's in itself a pretty good reason to have unicorns as far as I am concerned. They're just horses with a horn, but they make for a good fantastical prey to the fantastical predator that is the hydra while emphasizing that the shit has hit the fan: the astral and corporeal worlds have merged. It takes a lot of small-mindedness not to realize this simple fact.

KazigluBey said:
I was a little disappointed with this as well. I thought he might take a little more artistic license and come up with something different than the traditional mythical creatures, given he did such a great job with the Apostles.

Why reinvent the wheel for a detail when you can pay a little homage to the genre instead? You're really missing the point if you think this can be compared to apostles. Should have Miura taken "a little more artistic license" when drawing horses as well? You know, because standard horses are so passé, I don't want them in my story. In fact I say no creature he draws should resemble anything ever seen before! :schierke:

KazigluBey said:
He did a good job with his interpretation of trolls, as well as making elves more like fairy's than like what you'd see in LOTR.

Only your ignorance prevents you from realizing that Miura's elves are pretty faithful to their description in traditional folklore. Tolkien's not the ultimate reference when it comes to legends and mythology, sorry to tell you.

KazigluBey said:
I like the design concept variations, but when you have a unicorn, it's just a unicorn and immediately it felt like it was completely out of place. Just have to wait and see what part they have to play.

How about the part of being eaten by a hydra? Unicorns are scared, pursued by a hydra, then we see that it inadvertently leads it to a human village. It shows that humans are brutally put into contact with spiritual creatures, good and bad alike, and that they're going to have a hard time dealing with it.

KazigluBey said:

Because you didn't know the mythology tying to the other creatures doesn't mean they were more or less at their place than unicorns. You should keep in mind that your ignorance and/or expectations are very relative and don't make for very good points in a discussion like this very one. Besides, I think you should try to look at things from a more general point of view. Those unicorns are just a drop of water in the ocean that is the Berserk world. They're a detail. Like I said earlier, what if it had been horses eaten by the hydra? I bet you wouldn't have cared.

KazigluBey said:
Spare me the sarcasm. If you don't like opposing opinions then why bother replying? Without em' it's just a circle jerk.

What you said deserved sarcasm. And replying to posts and sometimes disagreeing with other people is what a forum's all about. If you don't like being contradicted then don't bother posting on forums.

Walter said:
I mean, Zodd's a hybrid of mythological creatures, but he's ok with fans.

He's a hybrid of various animals, but I actually wouldn't say that he's a mix of various mythological creatures.

MaN said:
Well in a way all the apostles are non-traditional mythical creatures that Miura created so if he has to show the merging of worlds without much dialogue then using traditional mythical creatures i.e. unicorns, hydra etc. illustrates the point better. I think.

Yeah. And just like there's no need for him to design exotic creatures to replace common horses or birds or cattle, there's no need for him to create something to serve as prey to the monsters while there's a full repertoire of traditional creatures he can use. People seem to forget that Berserk is a manga, it's from Japan, and unicorns are as exotic to Japanese people as a Makara would be to the average Westerner.

MaN said:
Although I don't know why but I assumed that everything in the other world was inherently evil i.e. hydra.

Of course not. For some reason a lot of people don't seem to be getting that. The spiritual world is very vast and filled with all kinds of creatures, good and bad. Just like the corporeal world. It was all explained in volume 24. It's definitely not just ALL EVIL, and the light covering the world isn't the GATES OF HELL opening up (what you said earlier...).

General notice to everyone: you should expect to see more good-natured creatures in the future, so try not to pop a vessel next time it happens.

MaN said:
We sort of have an idea that everyone including guts and co. are enveloped by the light but I wonder what happened to all the apostles and SK, Daiba etc. who were at the epicenter...

What's interesting to wonder is more what happened to those that were already in the spiritual world (apostles, SK).

MaN said:
Also somehow after encountering Uber-Ganishka, mini ganishkas and all the apostles in the last battle even the fierce hydra seems a little tame...

Well at the core the hydra seems to be just an animal. Like a lion or a crocodile. It's not meant to be very impressive. And really, there aren't many things that can compare to Ganishka, all things considered.

KazigluBey said:
I've always liked fantasy related stuff (picture of Darkness in prior post being evidence of this) so I associate more well known creatures with mythology from our own world, not that of a fantasy world created in modern times. I see Zodd and I haven't come across anything like that before so it peaks my interest more.

Well like I said earlier, keep in mind that what's well-known and familiar to you isn't necessarily to other people. I'm sure people from India would think differently than you do about the Pishacha, Makara, Kundalini and the like.

SiRAuron said:
I think it's a good thing to see something less big and mean like a unicorn. Until now, apart from the elves, all other monsters/creatures have been attacking humans. It shows that not -everything- is out to eat humans. I mean, the world isn't all darkness, well, at least it wasn't until now.

Very good point. The astral world isn't the SUPER EVIL world. It houses good and bad entities alike. Honestly, it's really nothing special that unicorns would be around (not to mention that it isn't the first time we see them, as has already been said several times in this thread). I'm repeating myself but people should expect more "good" creatures to show up.

KazigluBey said:
I could picture the Apostles sitting around base camp with a unicorn cooking on the rotisserie.

Now that's the spirit! And that isn't just how it will be. That's how it is already. They became food for a monster in the very scene that introduced them.

NightCrawler said:
I have complained before about the overuse of those themes in Berserk.

No, you've complained about their use. Not overuse, just plain use.

NightCrawler said:
I prefer stuff more grounded in reality. Like the chapter of lost children. It's still dark fantasy, but more in a Robert E. Howard vein.

And yet even then there was Puck, there were elves and it was all about a fairytale. The bad guy was a little girl. That's not very manly.

NightCrawler said:
The lighter themes (kiddie stuff)

Saying this isn't just stupid, it's also a flagrant example of your immaturity. Lighter themes aren't "kiddie stuff". Just like video games in which you don't shed gallons of blood aren't "kiddie games". That's the mentality of a frustrated 14 year old that's trying to sound like he's a badass grown-up.

NightCrawler said:
But now i just shrug it off. Isidro is just the same character since... ever!

Isidro has been through quite a lot of character development. He's a brash kid, but why is that a problem?

NightCrawler said:
The witch had some evolution but i still can't take that character serious, she's so out of place. It was like BAM! Here's a kid who's a witch with a robe and a pointy hat. After all you've been through while reading the series, how are you suppose to believe in a character like that in the world of Berserk?

I'd excuse that reaction if you'd just read episode 186. But not now. Indeed, have all you've been through while reading the series, how can you say something like that?

NightCrawler said:
So in conclusion, i can't really connect with the story when there's ALOT of fantasy involved. It does nothing for me, nor in fights, whenever. I'm not that big of a nerd or fanboy. I believe that fantasy produces a bigger inpact, and it's more ominous, when it's used in moderation, like we've seen so effectively in the past.

There's always been a lot of fantasy involved with Berserk. I think your problem is that you don't like when things are too colorful. Kind of like the people whining that Diablo III's not in shades of grey. By the way, sorry to tell you but you're a huge fucking nerd and a huge fucking fanboy from what I've seen of you. Whether you like fantasy or not is irrelevant to that fact.

Anyway, while there's always been lots of fantasy, what's ironical when reading your post is that paradoxically, the "lighter themes" you complain about are used very moderately. But apparently 3 shots of a bunch of a unicorns being devoured by a hydra is just too much for you. What can I say to that? Maybe you should read another series man, I don't know.

KazigluBey said:

Haha, it might still be a while before that happens. :slan: He just defeated the ultimate monster for the sake of the people after all, he's a godsent hero! :griffnotevil:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
KazigluBey said:
I guess I wasn't aware of any point in the story where the theme was pointed out, other than coincidences.

It's pretty much been ever-present since the first pages of the Millennium Falcon arc. Specific important passages and references can be found in episodes 179, 186, 195, 201 (unicorns first established =), and 215 to name a few.

KazigluBey said:
Any creature can become mythical if there is a legend or mythology to go with them which humans are aware of and that have become part of their culture.

Exactly, and monsters Miura makes up aren't part of our culture or collective consciousness.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Thanks, Karwat! This episode was so full of two-page epicness that it didn't even require dialogue (well, aside from the farmer's "Uwaaaaaaaah!"). :guts:

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
宮本 グリフィス said:
It's pretty much been ever-present since the first pages of the Millennium Falcon arc. Specific important passages and references can be found in episodes 179, 186, 195, 201 (unicorns first established =), and 215 to name a few.

Exactly, and monsters Miura makes up aren't part of out culture or collective consciousness.

Alright I'll refresh my memory.

They might not be part of ours but to me seeing something new is more appealing than something I'm used to. They only have to be part of the collective consciousness of the humans in the Berserk world in order to have legitimacy. That's one of the perks of being a storyteller, you can set the rules.

Top Bottom