Books

M

Marcus

Due to the boredom that sets in occasionally in my free times, I've decided to ask you guys for any recommended books ;D I've heard the Dark Tower series is pretty good.. Anyone know?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I love the Dark Tower series. Although, in my opinion it goes downhill a bit after the first book ;D Still though, honestly you should read it. Roland is an amazing character. You only fully understand him once you get to book 4 though.

Im currently reading James Ellroy and hes blowing my socks off. Amazing writer. Its certianly not fantasy, but its GOOD shit.

Id also recommend anything by Neil Gaiman. My favorite novel to this day is Neverwhere by him.

Vermillion

If we do not find them soon, we shall be of no use
I never read the Dark Towers, but I will check it out.

One set of books I definitely recommend is The Forever King and its sequel The Broken Sword! If your into Arthurian lore, then these books are for you. Nothing beats the image of the Knights of the Roundtable cruising on Harleys!! :D

M

Marcus

Thanks you guys! ;D I'll check them out when next time I go to the library ;)

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Due to the boredom that sets in occasionally in my free times, I've decided to ask you guys for any recommended books  ;D I've heard the Dark Tower series is pretty good.. Anyone know?

hmmm don't know anything about Dark Tower, but i suggest the Band of Brothers it's about the 101first during WW2.

M

Marcus

hmmm don't know anything about Dark Tower, but i suggest the Band of Brothers it's about the 101first during WW2.

Isn't that an HBO series? ???

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
If you want a really good read. I would recommend the Wheel of Time books by Robert Jordan. They are fantastic! And they also have a HUGE following online. I am only on the first one and already I am hooked. If liked Tolkien in the slightest, then these books will suit ya down to the ground ^_^

Lliugusamui

around the corner
I advise you to read the books of dune ( the trilogy prequel by brian herbert and kevin anderson ) before the frank herbert's *can't wait the sequel of chapterhouse *
myths of cthulhu by lovecraft, too...

M

Marcus

If you want a really good read. I would recommend the Wheel of Time books by Robert Jordan. They are fantastic! And they also have a HUGE following online. I am only on the first one and already I am hooked. If liked Tolkien in the slightest, then these books will suit ya down to the ground ^_^

I've just finished the 6th book but I want to take a break.. Its one loooong series.

I advise you to read the books of dune ( the trilogy prequel by brian herbert and kevin anderson ) before the frank herbert's *can't wait the sequel of chapterhouse *
myths of cthulhu by lovecraft, too...

Ermm.. I read all of Dune by Frank Herbert before the prequels came out ^^;; Never read those tho or the Lovecraft books.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeargh... Jordan. If you can tolerate 600 pages of nothing before about 30 pages of payoff badass fighting, youll llike jordan. Thats his formula for every book Ive read of WoT, and Im on book 6. Its pretty painful stuff... But the payoff is pretty sweet.

M

Marcus

Yeargh... Jordan. If you can tolerate 600 pages of nothing before about 30 pages of payoff badass fighting, youll llike jordan. Thats his formula for every book Ive read of WoT, and Im on book 6. Its pretty painful stuff... But the payoff is pretty sweet.

There it is! Book 6 got on my nerves but Mat always pulls you through with his humor ;)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
There it is! Book 6 got on my nerves but Mat always pulls you through with his humor ;)
Mat is beginning to be the only character where I dont yell out "groooooan" as a chapter starts. Mat's my favorite.

BOB

poruno sutâ
Nietzsche or Schopenhauer.
German Philosophists who wrote about something people call Nihilism nowadays.

Naked lunch by William S. Burroughs
which is drug induced weirdness at its best

or something more funny: Everything Charles Bukowski
wrote

M

Marcus

Mat is beginning to be the only character where I dont yell out "groooooan" as a chapter starts. Mat's my favorite.

Yeah but Jordan is good at pulling off cliffhangers specially with Mat ;) It takes a while for me to actually get into the story with the girls when they were in Tarabon.. I think in Book 5, Perrin wasn't in it at all :eek:

Membrax

Some beast eating its heart in the desert
If u like SF suff, u should - must ;) - read the Hyperion cycle (from Dan Simmons). Its an amazing mix of science, philosphy, theology, reflexion on human beings and evolution... Definitively a must-read ! :eek:

Sofus

I serve the God Hand
My alltime favorite is the Gap series by Stephen Donaldson, 5 incredible books! Also, the chronicles of Tomas Covenant by the same author are also superb. Donaldson's brilliance lies in his character portraits, of depicting their inner struggles and what makes them tick. His stories are often painful and disturbing to read when viewed from the characters point of view, often taking them to psychological extremes, much like what Miura does with Guts and the gang :)

Just my two cents, feel free to flame me if you don't agree :)

M

Marcus

I won't flame anyone until I read the books ;) Just a question, anyone here ever read the Stainless Steel Rat books by Harry Harrison or the Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny? One of my favorite series ;D I really recommend it for those who like a blend of conspiracy, action, war, fantasy and just your good old plot twists.

M

Marcus

Is it just me or has noated not updated its manga search in a while? :-/

Lliugusamui

around the corner
the Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny? One of my favorite series  ;D I really recommend it for those who like a blend of conspiracy, action, war, fantasy and just your good old plot twists.
One of my favourites too ; amber is such a family ! have you find that it lasted too long with merlin's part ? it's very different from corwin's part : the first book is unforgettable ! and what we get with brand, fiona, and bleys is more and more interesting...

M

Marcus

One of my favourites too ; amber is such a family ! have you find that it lasted too long with merlin's part ? it's very different from corwin's part : the first book is unforgettable ! and what we get with brand, fiona, and bleys is more and more interesting...

There was suppose to be 2 more books but he died!! >:( :'( I actually enjoyed the Merlin saga, it was very colorfully written.

There was suppose to be 2 more books but he died!!  >:( :'(
Maybe you already read those, but just in case...

[link=http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:-2_0lb6FN2gC:www.twinkle.ws/reading/unsorted/mirror5/Roger.ZELAZNY/the.amber.chronicles/Prologue.To.Trumps.Of.Doom.txt]Prologue to Trumps of Doom[/link]

[link=http://www.jknoll.org/artists/zelazny/st.asp]The Salesman's Tale[/link]

[link=http://www.jknoll.org/artists/zelazny/bhdm.asp]Blue Horse, Dancing Mountains[/link]

[link=http://www.jknoll.org/artists/zelazny/satg.asp]The Shroudling and the Guisel[/link]

[link=http://www.jknoll.org/artists/zelazny/ctac.asp]Coming to a Cord[/link]

[link=http://www.jknoll.org/artists/zelazny/hom.asp]The Hall of Mirrors[/link]

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
I am only on book one, but I am loving it! Jordan is a great author in that respect, but he does put alot into his books.
Mat is excellent, I like him not only cuz he is funny, but cuz he is called Mat. *name is Matt IRL* :p

Top Bottom