Movies that reminds me of Vagabond

snake1mi

Blood is just red sweat.
This should be a thread to list anything, movie, manga or even anime that reminds you of Vagabond. I would love to hear your thoughts, as I'm sure there are a lot of movies out there I have yet to see.
I'm traveling a lot to Asia, especially Malaysia, Hong Kong and Japan. And I sure wanna spend a grand on must see movies next time I'm in Asia. If theres something you suggest and it's not related to Vagabond, please PM me, or post it in another thread.

Since I'm a huge fan of Hong-Kong movies, and watch anything Asian, be it Johnnie or Ryuhei Kitamura movies, a friend of mine asked me to get my hand on a Korean movie, "Fighter in The Wind", or "Baramui Fighter" as it's called some places.
I was bored the day I got back from Malaysia 3-4 years ago, and I decided to watch this movie, before giving it to my friend. And after only a minute I was completely dragged in! For those who want to see the movie first, I suggest you to do it, and then come back and read further. I will not spoil the plot, I will just point out things that reminds me of Vagabond and vice versea.

-Baramui Fighter is not a sword/katana movie, but it is a sort of, "way of the samurai" movie if you know what I mean. Choi Bae Dal is the protagonist. The movie is set after the end of WWII, or in the last of it, this was the
first thing I thought about after I read Vagabond.

-Bae Dal is a "dojoyaburi". it means he challenges a dojo's sensei.

-A guy tries to rob him, but then join him. This guy is a joke basically. I can say he somehow did remind me of someone...

-Bae Dal challenges someone later and lose...

-He thinks a lot of a chick called Yoko.. But, NO! He must focus on his training.,,

-He train and develop his own style, and he even climb the mountains.... Now this is something.

-Then he comes back much stronger and less "wild" even though he looks like an animal...

Now I don't remember everything in the movie, since it's been ages I first saw this movie. But seriously, go see it. It doesn't contain long heavy fight scenes, but the fight scenes are rather realistic, short and brutal. So don't expect Crouching Tiger style fight scene.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Awesome, I've been looking forward to this thread!

I'm going to make some very simple and broad contributions to start out with, basic recommendations. First, The Samurai Trilogy by Hiroshi Inagaki and starring Toshiro Mifune.

宮本 グリフィス said:
The Samurai Trilogy - Hiroshi Inagaki
tst.jpg
Based on the novel that has been called Japan's Gone With the Wind, Hiroshi Inagaki's acclaimed Samurai Trilogy is a sweeping saga of the legendary 17th-century samurai Musashi Miyamoto (portrayed by Toshiro Mifune) set against the turmoil of a devastating civil war. Now available for the first time together in a specially priced gift pack, the films follow Musashi's odyssey from unruly youth to enlightened warrior in an epic tale of combat, valor, and self-discovery.

Now, I know this is no brainer akin to recommendeding the novel Musashi itself, but not quite, because this is yet another interpretation of the novel and ultimately Musashi's life. It gives the material a different look, and to see that difference alone it is a relatively quick experience compared to the novel itself. It's also an interesting look at the general culture of Musashi media, in this case very theatrical and with revered actors involved.

More broadly, and perhaps more appropriate to this thread is any Akira Kurosawa film, since as Viz's press releases say about Vagabond, "...reads like an Akira Kurosawa film captured on the printed page." This is obviously a huge compliment. For a specific recommendation, you can't go wrong with Seven Samurai, which even has a character, Kyuzo, somewhat based on and meant to resemble Musashi, literally and figuratively, though the theme of a warrior not suited for the times is tragically reversed. To that end, Inoue covers eerily similar ground in volume 18.

theblackswordman said:
-Baramui Fighter is not a sword/katana movie, but it is a sort of, "way of the samurai" movie if you know what I mean. Choi Bae Dal is the protagonist. The movie is set after the end of WWII, or in the last of it, this was the
first thing I thought about after I read Vagabond.

-Bae Dal is a "dojoyaburi". it means he challenges a dojo's sensei.

-A guy tries to rob him, but then join him. This guy is a joke basically. I can say he somehow did remind me of someone...

-Bae Dal challenges someone later and lose...

-He thinks a lot of a chick called Yoko.. But, NO! He must focus on his training.,,

-He train and develop his own style, and he even climb the mountains.... Now this is something.

-Then he comes back much stronger and less "wild" even though he looks like an animal...

Now I don't remember everything in the movie, since it's been ages I first saw this movie. But seriously, go see it. It doesn't contain long heavy fight scenes, but the fight scenes are rather realistic, short and brutal. So don't expect Crouching Tiger style fight scene.

Sounds very interesting, the similarities, both general and specific are definitely there. I'm going to have to find and check this out if I can, thanks!

Top Bottom