Episode 306

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Dani said:
Maybe old hat, but someone found this picture and noticed something familar.

Please read threads before posting in them in the future. Thanks.

Judas Priestly said:
Also, I want to add that the pictures can fold up revealing the other side which shows another picture of God creating the word. Supposedly this work of art is about the creation of earth, its corruption by man, and finally man's punishment. Do you think that Miura will incorporate this idea into Berserk?

This is what it looks like when closed. Anyway, I don't think the themes involving mankind's interaction with the world are as simple as that in Berserk.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I know I've already posted about the ending of ep 306, but I may have come across something more solid this time. On a whim, I asked my wife, a nursing student studying to be a midwife, what she thought the final page of ep. 306 looked like. I gave her no prompts, and she knows virtually nothing about Berserk.

apostles-transfixed5.jpg

Here were her first words:
"A tree. No ... Looks like a brain, or the arteries in the brain. Hang on..." *gets her lab books*

Taking that as my cue, I came across several convincing photos with the help of her lab books and Google Images. Take from them what you will. These are all showing the arteries of the brain in various diagrams and images.

brain-arteries 1.jpg

- Diagram showing the base of the brain and associated arteries. Note the branching pattern.
- Same as above, colored and larger
- Same as above with even more detail
- Page from wife's lab book showing circulatory system of brain

As Aaz was telling me earlier, there are still some holes that don't make much sense in this theory. The larger vessels in the diagram are more spaced out than in the 306 example, and they don't branch out in the same manner at all. Another hole, nearly any branching pattern like this that exists in nature will of course resemble a tree to some extent.

However, among all the things I've seen so far that resemble the ending of 306, the above is the most convincing to me. I stress, SO FAR, because I want to see what other information and evidence we can find during this long 3 month break before Miura shows us we were all wrong, and stupid to guess in this manner :ganishka:

LOL, I don't know if he is saying the world would be inside Void's brain but that is a pretty interesting (albeit) funny theory.

Walter, correct me if i'm wrong.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, I was very careful. I haven't said anything about the extent of this image or the implications of a giant brain appearing in the sky, because I agree that at this point it doesn't make any sense for a giant brain to suddenly appear (except for the preceding pages, of course :carcus:). I'm just pointing out the correlation I see, visually, between these diagrams and the ending of 306.

And really, if you run down the thread of reasoning, the tree actually makes LESS sense to me. So, the focal point of this merging of worlds, the first true manifestation of the God Hand's evil plan is a massive ... tree? A symbol of nature? What?

Doesn't seem like Miura would spread a "grand entrance" for another character between two episodes (though, i'm assuming you were saying that in jest); that just seems anti-climatic.

sorry, i'll be honest - it's shameful - i haven't been keeping up with the happenings of the Berserk world (but lately, Bobby's been helping me out), so forgive me if i'm a bit lost (and there are circumstances out of my control that have prevented me from keeping up to snuff with the proceedings, but i won't get into it).

what was most interesting about this episode was hope very blatantly Miura lifted from Art in our own world; and i'm wondering what exactly does that tells us. if it's not a hint at upcoming events (like merging our literal history with the fictional history of Midland), perhaps it's a hint at what era or century we're in? I dunno, probably not.

i don't have the episode right before me (since i'm using the absent roommate's computer, i'd hate to download files as foreign to him as Berserk on his pc), and none of the previous tankoubans, so i'm simply typing out my attempts at grasping what kind of shit is going down.
whatever correlating evidence wally has discovered merely tells us that what's happening is something organic is forming, right? (which isn't, really, a revelation to anyone) something organic, but not a tree, perhaps, something biological. but if we're taking the biology route, why just the brain? unless there's a super brain forming, i don't see why Miura would give us an obvious appearance of Void already if another brain were forming in the sky.
why not a heart?

i mean, it fits, right? with what some of us have already seen, it seems like this would be a good reference to the Idea of Evil, which greatly resembles a heart - except that Miura already told us that he isn't even sure if the Idea will be coming back (right?).

i wish i could elaborate on some things right now, but it's pretty late/early and i've been drinking so...... at least this is, for the most part, grammatically and syntactically correct.

useless!

Walter said:
And really, if you run down the thread of reasoning, the tree actually makes LESS sense to me. So, the focal point of this merging of worlds, the first true manifestation of the God Hand's evil plan is a massive ... tree? A symbol of nature? What?

Yeah I know but it's simpler. I mean how the hell would a "brain/heart" fit in the Berserk world?
Crazy Miura.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:

Well at this point it's just Ganishka (well, what's left of him) we're shown at the end of the episode. For all we know he could simply disappear or turn to dust or something like that. The reason I thought of a tree myself is because of the branching, of Ganishka's previous plant-like aspect, and because it could be interesting yet remains believable. It's not as if it's absent from mythology either. A giant brain is way more "out there", I believe. Anyway, what if it's a landmark of the astral world? Something that already existed and is merely appearing through Ganishka's remains? That being said, many things don't fit with the idea of a giant tree either.

The Perineum Falcon said:
sorry, i'll be honest - it's shameful - i haven't been keeping up with the happenings of the Berserk world

I think the fact you haven't posted in an episode thread in 5 years kind of gave it away, but maybe that's just me. :slan:

what was most interesting about this episode was hope very blatantly Miura lifted from Art in our own world; and i'm wondering what exactly does that tells us. if it's not a hint at upcoming events (like merging our literal history with the fictional history of Midland), perhaps it's a hint at what era or century we're in? I dunno, probably not.

You mean he brought in elements from real world folklore? If so, that's something he's always done, starting with elves in volume 1. I don't think it hints at merging our world history with Berserk's at all, or even hinting at a particular time period. He's always mixed weapons, armors, clothing, architecture and technologies from different cultures and eras without caring much. Berserk isn't a historical manga by any means.

If you were referring to his homage to Bosch though, well I don't know what to say other than I don't think it hints at anything. It's like the two Escher references he's already made in the past.

whatever correlating evidence wally has discovered merely tells us that what's happening is something organic is forming, right? (which isn't, really, a revelation to anyone) something organic, but not a tree, perhaps, something biological.

Actually it doesn't tell us much. Like I just said, it's just Ganishka's general shape, but made of light and slightly different looking (because of the branching, among other things). Whether it will effectively transform into something else or not is still unconfirmed at this point. One thing Walter mentioned earlier in the thread but that we're not talking about anymore is how it looks like it's discharging energy on the previous pages.

but if we're taking the biology route, why just the brain? unless there's a super brain forming, i don't see why Miura would give us an obvious appearance of Void already if another brain were forming in the sky.
why not a heart?

Walter likes the brain idea because he's a fan of Void and because it's Void's brain we see on the page before. Also because it could be correlated with whatever the God Hand is planning, and is pertinent in relation to the astral world and how it relates to the mind. Is it a stretch? Yeah, kind of. I mean we're talking of blood vessels within the brain when viewed at a particular angle on some pictures while disregarding discrepancies. That's very specific. And that would mean a giant brain appearing in the world, or at least its vascular system. As for other organs, I considered a heart at first myself and even sent Wally pictures of the aorta at weird angles, but in the end I don't think it's resembling enough. If we're going to compare it to an organ, it might as well be a brain.

To be honest I don't think we'll get much farther than this on the question. Whatever Miura does I'm sure it'll kick ass, but at this point I don't believe we can tell what's going on in those last pages.

Void's brain also has an eerie glow, or lighting on it, and is shown immediately before we cut back to the Apostles in front of the Branishka Stems

Jaze1618 said:
Void's brain also has an eerie glow, or lighting on it, and is shown immediately before we cut back to the Apostles in front of the Branishka Stems

Yeah, Void's brain is quite bright at the center of the panel and slowly fades outwards. The edges of the panel are quite dark in fact. Also we are shown Void's brain up close, where as Slan, Conrad and Ubik are shown so as to display most or all of their bodies, this could imply a significant difference in size between their respective manifestations. Nothing concrete of course but this could all hint at Walter's idea. That being said, a gigantic brain appearing in the sky still makes little sense at this point.

Pasado said:
That being said, a gigantic brain appearing in the sky still makes little sense at this point.

Oh, I dunno about that, reading over the past few episodes, I'm not gonna rule /anything/ out at this point! :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
After doing some more research, trying to both solidify the brain theory and disprove the tree theory, I ended up more convinced of the tree. :void:

It only really took one concept to lean me toward it -- the world tree. Yggdrasil, of Norse mythology, is just one example of a world tree, which exist in many religions, particularly those in Indo-European cultures. Excuse these gaudy images... Yggdrasil has many interpretations. I just tried to find some that represented the concepts well visually. Obviously you're not going to find one that necessarily visually correlates EXACTLY with the image in 306. Here, it's the concept that matters.

yggdrasil.jpg
yggdrasil2.jpg

To put it simply, a world tree is "a colossal tree which supports the heavens, thereby connecting the heavens, the earth, and, through its roots, the underground." (wiki source). What resonates with me here, in the Berserk world, are a few passages describing the function of Yggdrasil in Norse mythology.

The reason I thought of a tree myself is because of the branching, of Ganishka's previous plant-like aspect, and because it could be interesting yet remains believable. It's not as if it's absent from mythology either.
Indeed, but you didn't CAPITALIZE on Yggdrasil or world trees, but you knew all along it was a possibility. All the conversation that's involved with it so far has been "Reminds me of Yggdrasil." "Yep." Come on, share the wealth! :sad:

To be honest I don't think we'll get much farther than this on the question. Whatever Miura does I'm sure it'll kick ass, but at this point I don't believe we can tell what's going on in those last pages.
I agree, and I've said as much in previous posts. I'm really just passing the time.

Wow, that's great, I'm surprised at how well it seems to fit.

Especially this bit:

"Alfheim - Home of the Light Elves" =)

Exciting.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
fuxberg said:
For the record Aaz and me totally called it. :SK:
But didn't elaborate or do the necessary homework to argue your perspective :schierke:

PS: Griffith dies, calling it.

Walter said:
But didn't elaborate or do the necessary homework to argue your perspective

PS: Griffith dies, calling it.

Did you really think I'd explain my point after Aaz said he thought about the tree too? :schierke:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
fuxberg said:
Did you really think I'd explain my point after Aaz said he thought about the tree too?
For the benefit of the rest of the forum? Sure, why not? Why exactly are you insisting on this? You had a vague notion it could be related to Yggdrasil and said so, but didn't explain why. I did. Do you want percentage points on the back end of the tree theory or something?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Indeed, but you didn't CAPITALIZE on Yggdrasil or world trees, but you knew all along it was a possibility. All the conversation that's involved with it so far has been "Reminds me of Yggdrasil." "Yep." Come on, share the wealth! :sad:

Sorry, I assumed everyone knew all that stuff already, at least the broad details. It's a pretty common and well-known mythological concept (and I even used a famous video game as a reference!). One so powerful that I didn't need to defend the idea for it to win you over. Besides, sometimes it's good to let people search information for themselves, it's more rewarding to them. And it helps them pass the time too. :slan:
To compensate I can tell you a few of the things I never revealed about Miura from his interviews if you want. Or some other secrets, just ask.

Especially this bit:

"Alfheim - Home of the Light Elves" =)

Well this was brought up the day Elfhelm was first mentioned, but unfortunately the spelling's different (of course that doesn't mean Miura didn't inspire himself from the name). And it's on an island. Many of the smaller details of how the world is arranged on Yggdrasil don't fit with the Berserk world.

Anyway guys, let's not start arguing about who gets what credit for thinking of a tree first. I'm pretty sure many people did, even if they didn't post about it. I know I myself jokingly brag about getting things right sometimes, but such talk isn't to be taken seriously. And it's not like the tree theory has been confirmed either. In fact, going further with that, the concept of a world-tree itself doesn't perfectly fit what's happening with Ganishka. Indeed, if he's transforming into a tree that can be seen in the corporeal/astral worlds then he's inside these worlds instead of supporting them on only one part of itself. So it would be a giant supernatural tree, doubtlessly inspired by those myths, but not necessarily exactly replicating them (and despite this, for all we know Miura might very well decide to call this tree Yggdrasil, Ashvastha or something like that). Lastly, I would like to remind people that there is already a recurring theme to the nature of the worlds in Berserk: that of water.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
To compensate I can tell you a few of the things I never revealed about Miura from his interviews if you want. Or some other secrets, just ask.
Consider this a formal request please! And leave out the Mario Kart one, I already know about that :ganishka:

Lastly, I would like to remind people that there is already a recurring theme to the nature of the worlds in Berserk: that of water.
Well, at the base of Yggdrasil is Urðr's Well, the well of life from which the tree feeds. There's still a connection. But yeah, its not related to the depth of the world as in oceans.

Wow, Berserk seems to be a project of lifetime. With a new world tons of new stories are possible. :isidro:

By the way hello guys, its my first post here. ^^

If only Godot could've seen the dragons his heap of iron was made for killing.

I wonder if this will mean apostles would also be the same fodder as the normal people are now that power of the other realms are colliding since I wouldn't think a dragon could tell the difference between a person or an apostle just more meat. :chomp:

Top Bottom