Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Not a video game per say but a game none the less!

So what's the deal with this. Anyone have the players handbook? I hear that it simplifies a lot of things to make it a more pick up and go type game.

Anyone have a 4th edition handbook they don't want anymore? We can trade! :carcus:

I started to get my oldest son involved with D&D and he seems to be having a good time with me telling him stories in a grandeur's way!

I am trying to get my wife invovled but she keep's saying that she doesnt have time and doesnt want to think! I plan to change this!

So let me have it, what are your opinions of the 4th edition?

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
I've been curious about the 4th edition (I've only played 3.5) but unfortunately all the guys I used to play with are now scattered all over the country. I haven't even touched a d20 in about a year...

Its not the same as 3.5. Alot of things are changed its more arcadish. I only have the hand book tho I wish to keep it sorry =( but the whole system of combat had changed. Combats reletivly the same but everyone has their own set of rules which makes it even more complicated. I would say waste a saturday and go to a Barnes and Noble and sit down and read it or get a pdf of it. If you have any questions hopefuly i can answer them.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Breed1Ghost said:
Its not the same as 3.5. Alot of things are changed its more arcadish. I only have the hand book tho I wish to keep it sorry =( but the whole system of combat had changed. Combats reletivly the same but everyone has their own set of rules which makes it even more complicated. I would say waste a saturday and go to a Barnes and Noble and sit down and read it or get a pdf of it. If you have any questions hopefuly i can answer them.

Iv been following some web based adventures via Penny Arcade forums and it seems pretty simple. I know they have certain classes under certain archtypes... Defenders, Strikers, Controllers, Leaders.

I guess my only other really big issues is that I do not have anyone locally to play with :judo:

I suppose I can just latch onto a web forum and do it that way. I know Majin Tenshi probably has the nitty gritty on this. Where are you at?!

My general impression is 4th Edition is a much better tabletop wargame. But it also doesn't have as many mechanics that might be used for RP (this can be good or bad depending on your group's gaming style). If your group is inclined to lots of freestyle RP and you feel constrained by 3rd Ed. d20 rules, you may be happy. If your group needs to be goaded into RP by realizing that these other skills and such can't be totally ignored, then you may need to make more of an effort to keep RP going in 4th Ed.

I would be strongly interested in running a 4th Edition campaign if I had any reasonable amount of free time to commit to it. At the same time though, 4th Edition is even more in-your-face with the supernatural elements and I am very strongly against allowing lots of supernatural elements in my games (I enjoy A Song of Fire and Ice style stories much more than Elminster Saves the World and Bangs Mystra Part XXXIV).

Yeah 4thed is pretty much a tabletop game you need minies for. I really like the system since each class is different and they feel different. Didnt really like 3.0 and 3.5 cause items and magic items made the systems broken. The only thing i dont like about 4th is that battles can take forever and that clerics suck now.

Top Bottom