Author Topic: Recommended Artists?  (Read 15579 times)

Offline 01010111

• Of the Interstice
Recommended Artists?
« on: June 30, 2009, 02:58:30 PM »
We've got some time between Volumes, so why not list some of your favorite artists and post an example of their work?

One of my favorite Illustrators of all time is Gustave Doré:

His detail is amazing, his linework is precise and EXTREMELY interesting, and his compositions usually blow my mind.

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
Re: Recommended Artists?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 03:20:19 PM »
I'd even say Doré is one of Miura's favorite artists too  :guts:
:femto: :slan: :ubik:

Offline Ions

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 03:53:20 PM »
WOW, it looks like that artist was a huge influence on Miura.  that image alone looks like one from berserk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustave_Dor%C3%A9

AMAZING artwork jesus
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 04:04:44 PM by Ions »
"Our bodies are prisons for our souls. Our skin and blood, the iron bars of confinement. But fear not. All flesh decays. Death turns all to ash. And thus, death frees every soul." -The Fountain

Offline 01010111

• Of the Interstice
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 04:59:16 PM »
I'd also encourage anyone to check out their local Barnes and Noble and look in the Bargain section. They usually have something illustrated by Dore. Just last weekend I bought Dante's Divine Comedy, but I really want to get my hands on Paradise Lost Illustrated by Dore.

Offline Groovy Metal Fist

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 05:24:28 PM »
I like Mahmoud Farshchian's work:

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 06:00:39 PM »
WOW, it looks like that artist was a huge influence on Miura.  that image alone looks like one from berserk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustave_Dor%C3%A9

AMAZING artwork jesus

Of course, Miura himself acknowledged that he was a fan long ago (as I've already pointed out many times in the past). And yes, Gustave Doré didn't joke around. You guys should also know he worked mostly by engraving, which is a lot more difficult than simply drawing. Not just that, but he was insanely productive as well.

Offline 01010111

• Of the Interstice
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 06:29:05 PM »
You guys should also know he worked mostly by engraving, which is a lot more difficult than simply drawing. Not just that, but he was insanely productive as well.
Which reminds me of another master engraver that I was meaning to post;

William Blake

Not quite as masterful as Dore, but genuinely amazing and meaningful work. I feel like while Dore touches on something Divine in your heart, Blake does the same thing with your mind, symbolism abounds! I got to see Blake's series of Job, and it was awesome.

Offline Henry Spencer

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 07:31:15 PM »
Titian

(Image too large to post img tags)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9e/Tizian_041.jpg

Salvator Rosa

Both are amazing artists, definitely awe inspiring art throughout their work (Rosa was especially versatile throughout his work, he never stuck to doing one scene, he liked having a very wide spectrum).

An inspiration Miura's work? I think HR Giger is (the first time I saw the God Hand, I immediately thought of Giger's work), but to a far lesser extent that others all ready listed, are:

I got to go into the official museum of his work in Switzerland with my brother. Was quite an event. His art is still amongst the most surreal (and disturbing) I have ever seen.

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 07:48:44 PM »
http://www.freewebs.com/hellnightclub/hr_giger_necronom_004.jpg

That's just Giger's version of an older illustration though.

I got to go into the official museum of his work in Switzerland with my brother. Was quite an event. His art is still amongst the most surreal (and disturbing) I have ever seen.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of everything he's done, but he's certainly an amazing artist. A lot of his stuff is fascinating.

Xem

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 08:43:49 PM »
H. R. Giger is awesome.

A few of my favorites:

Caravaggio from the Baroque period. The first one is David and Goliath, and I can't remember the second one, The Taking of Christ, maybe? Regardless I love his style.

Another one is Savador Dali. I'm a sucker for most surrealistic art, but he's my favorite. I can't pick a favorite out, but here's a good example of his work.

And last, but far from least, is Winston Smith. You may recognize his art from some Dead Kennedy's albums, that's where I first discovered him. Like this one here.

Offline NightCrawler

• Of the Vortex
  • Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 08:59:55 PM »
Not just that, but he was insanely productive as well.

It's a common trait that geniuses have.

My contribution:

Zdzislaw Beksinski

Google images and click this link too, i think it has a decent gallery of some i didn't find through google.

http://forums.gameinformer.com/gi/board/message?board.id=off_topic&thread.id=605274
Berserk isn't really "dark fantasy" either. It's plain fantasy
Miura has been very protective of Berserk

Offline Henry Spencer

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 10:15:44 PM »
That's just Giger's version of an older illustration though.

Yeah, I know. I just thought that Giger version was neat (he's done this with a lot of his other works; taken other artist's work and twisted them around to his disturbed vision).

Yeah, I'm not a fan of everything he's done, but he's certainly an amazing artist. A lot of his stuff is fascinating.

Definitely a disturbed fellow, I'd say. I'll tell you, a lot of work that hasn't made it on the net or whever else that's exclusive to that museum I went to...you can see why. It's real fucked up, some of it, so much so that it's really hard to appreciate it at all. Ugh. Some of it genuinely had me almost puking.

I'd be interested in seeing some of your favourites, Aaz. You too, Walter! DO IT! :beast:

Offline Manjou

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 10:59:53 PM »
I'm fond of Klimt

edit: wow Beksinski's awesome! o.o (though i'm sure i own some books from the 70s with his art on the covers)
Lost as in a dream I seek the shadow Of one who has Swirled away... Abandoning friends, Abandoning humanity.
What awaits us all Is the path to emptiness. Knowing my heart The flowers weep, And the wild birds cry.

Offline The Perineum Falcon

• Slightly Green, all Ranemaka
  • Of the Vortex
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 11:37:57 PM »
There are lots of really wonderful artists mentioned here, some whose work I'm familiar with and others with whose work I'm not (Beksinski), and I'm trying to remember some of my favorite artists and having a really difficult time, and the first name that comes to mind is Edward Gorey:

And as I'm trying to find a fair and representative image of Gorey's grimly humorous work (of which you should read), I begin to remember other names, like Aubrey Beardsley:

Gustav Caillebotte:

Jan van Eyck (whose Arnolfini and His Wife is possibly one of my favorite paintings ever):

and the detail:

and it should be noted that that isn't a very large painting, either, which makes the detail all the more impressive.

I really wish I could remember more......
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Offline aufond

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 02:26:00 AM »
Frank Frazetta

If there's a fantasy artist that does cooler work, I haven't seen it.
Folie A Deux. A madness shared by two.

Offline Skeleton

• Falconian
  • Of the Nexus
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 03:07:59 AM »
Jan van Eyck (whose Arnolfini and His Wife is possibly one of my favorite paintings ever):

That van Eyck painting blew me away when I first saw it even though I'm not a big fan of northern art during the Renaissance.  I love how he worked in a tiny self-portrait too, lol.

Caravaggio from the Baroque period. The first one is David and Goliath, and I can't remember the second one, The Taking of Christ, maybe? Regardless I love his style.

Caravaggio is amazing.  I'm a huge fan of his Bacchus paintings.  The realistic depiction of the wine in the glass he's holding in his second Bacchus painting is absolutely incredible.  The idea of painting yourself as a god or other mythological figure also strikes my egotistical fancy.   :ganishka:

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 07:55:14 AM »
I'd be interested in seeing some of your favourites, Aaz. You too, Walter! DO IT! :beast:

Oh well I like a lot of artists, and I'm not really an exclusive fan of anyone in particular (nor am I prone to remembering every artist's name, sadly). I guess I like Doré, Beksinski and Frazetta the most among those already cited, each in their different style. To give you a more exhaustive list of classical painters and illustrators I'd have to go through the various museums we have here in Paris and write each name down though. :ganishka:

Gustav Caillebotte

Gustave takes a 'e', you damn soviet sympathizer! :puck:

Offline 01010111

• Of the Interstice
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 12:04:51 PM »
I've always liked that painting, and the other year my grandmother found a replica of that mirror at an antiques store. It's pretty neat!

I love Klimt, but I can never find a decently priced artbook with my favorite piece, I think it's a prototype of "Judith II":

And yeah, I love Beksinski. I think his son may have murdered him for his inheritance? Some people are really beyond my understanding.

Truly sorry for the double post, but I forgot to mention that if you like Klimt you may also enjoy Schiele:

Offline Vampire_Hunter_Bob

• SK.net Sergeant at Arms
  • Of the Abyss
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2009, 12:24:43 PM »
To give you a more exhaustive list of classical painters and illustrators I'd have to go through the various museums we have here in Paris and write each name down though. :ganishka:

Oh cool. When do you think you'll have that list by?  :troll:

Offline The Perineum Falcon

• Slightly Green, all Ranemaka
  • Of the Vortex
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2009, 01:39:34 PM »
i just remembered that artist's name that was forgotten yesterday - pontormo.

and i was thinking also, how sad it is that the only thing most tourists go to the louvre to see is the mona lisa, even though that isn't even the best painting there - it's not even the best da vinci. and yet hundreds of these trolls with cameras surround its velvet rope and bullet proof glass to snap pictures of it dozens and dozens of times. sad, really. i saw it and i moved on. but two things that stopped me dead in my tracks were,

ingres' la grande odalisque

david's the coronation of empress josephine

and to give you an idea of the massive size of this beautiful thing

We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Offline NightCrawler

• Of the Vortex
  • Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2009, 04:02:28 PM »
And yeah, I love Beksinski. I think his son may have murdered him for his inheritance? Some people are really beyond my understanding.

Nope, it was his caretaker's son that murdered him, just because Beksinski refused to loan him $100.
Both Beksinski wife and son had commited suicide just a year apart from each other. Pretty grim stuff.

I found another site on my bookmarks that has some more good (not high) quality images - http://2photo.ru/2007/06/06/uzhastiki_beksinski_zdzislaw.html

I have to admit i only have Paradise Lost and The Divine Comedy mainly to look at Doré's illustrations :schnoz:
Best site ever for his art - http://dore.artpassions.net/

Btw, great choices everyone.
Berserk isn't really "dark fantasy" either. It's plain fantasy
Miura has been very protective of Berserk

Offline 01010111

• Of the Interstice
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2009, 05:35:37 PM »
Nope, it was his caretaker's son that murdered him, just because Beksinski refused to loan him $100.
Both Beksinski wife and son had commited suicide just a year apart from each other. Pretty grim stuff.

I have to admit i only have Paradise Lost and The Divine Comedy mainly to look at Doré's illustrations :schnoz:
Thanks for the clear up on Beksinski! Will make me think twice about loaning money (KILL THEM FIRST)

I've been meaning to read Paradise Lost for ages, but I refuse to unless I have a copy with Doré's illustrations!

Offline m

• Falconian
  • Of the Interstice
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2009, 07:13:58 PM »

Offline Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2009, 08:12:11 PM »

Offline Manjou

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2009, 08:35:14 PM »
I'm a big fan on Simon Bisley, especially his work on slaine

Gerald Scarfe

Yoshitomo Nara

Yoshitaka Amano

Ronald Searle

I do like Goya, especially his gory religious stuff
Lost as in a dream I seek the shadow Of one who has Swirled away... Abandoning friends, Abandoning humanity.
What awaits us all Is the path to emptiness. Knowing my heart The flowers weep, And the wild birds cry.