Recommended Artists?

We've got some time between Volumes, so why not list some of your favorite artists and post an example of their work?

One of my favorite Illustrators of all time is Gustave Doré:
dore_fallucifer_1866.jpg

His detail is amazing, his linework is precise and EXTREMELY interesting, and his compositions usually blow my mind.

WOW, it looks like that artist was a huge influence on Miura. that image alone looks like one from berserk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustave_Dor%C3%A9

AMAZING artwork jesus

I'd also encourage anyone to check out their local Barnes and Noble and look in the Bargain section. They usually have something illustrated by Dore. Just last weekend I bought Dante's Divine Comedy, but I really want to get my hands on Paradise Lost Illustrated by Dore.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ions said:
WOW, it looks like that artist was a huge influence on Miura. that image alone looks like one from berserk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustave_Dor%C3%A9

AMAZING artwork jesus

Of course, Miura himself acknowledged that he was a fan long ago (as I've already pointed out many times in the past). And yes, Gustave Doré didn't joke around. You guys should also know he worked mostly by engraving, which is a lot more difficult than simply drawing. Not just that, but he was insanely productive as well.

You guys should also know he worked mostly by engraving, which is a lot more difficult than simply drawing. Not just that, but he was insanely productive as well.
Which reminds me of another master engraver that I was meaning to post;

William Blake
william-blake.jpg

Not quite as masterful as Dore, but genuinely amazing and meaningful work. I feel like while Dore touches on something Divine in your heart, Blake does the same thing with your mind, symbolism abounds! I got to see Blake's series of Job, and it was awesome.

Titian

(Image too large to post img tags)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9e/Tizian_041.jpg

Tizian_053.jpg

Salvator Rosa

Rosalandscape.jpg

Louvre_rosa_apparition.jpg

Both are amazing artists, definitely awe inspiring art throughout their work (Rosa was especially versatile throughout his work, he never stuck to doing one scene, he liked having a very wide spectrum).

An inspiration Miura's work? I think HR Giger is (the first time I saw the God Hand, I immediately thought of Giger's work), but to a far lesser extent that others all ready listed, are:

hr-giger-1.jpg

hr_giger_necronom_004.jpg

I got to go into the official museum of his work in Switzerland with my brother. Was quite an event. His art is still amongst the most surreal (and disturbing) I have ever seen.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Henry Spencer said:

That's just Giger's version of an older illustration though.

Henry Spencer said:
I got to go into the official museum of his work in Switzerland with my brother. Was quite an event. His art is still amongst the most surreal (and disturbing) I have ever seen.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of everything he's done, but he's certainly an amazing artist. A lot of his stuff is fascinating.

X

Xem

H. R. Giger is awesome.

A few of my favorites:

Caravaggio from the Baroque period. The first one is David and Goliath, and I can't remember the second one, The Taking of Christ, maybe? Regardless I love his style.

495pxdavidandgoliathbyc.jpg

caravaggio01.jpg

Another one is Savador Dali. I'm a sucker for most surrealistic art, but he's my favorite. I can't pick a favorite out, but here's a good example of his work.

salvadordali.jpg

And last, but far from least, is Winston Smith. You may recognize his art from some Dead Kennedy's albums, that's where I first discovered him. Like this one here.

idols.jpg

Aazealh said:
That's just Giger's version of an older illustration though.

Yeah, I know. I just thought that Giger version was neat (he's done this with a lot of his other works; taken other artist's work and twisted them around to his disturbed vision).

Yeah, I'm not a fan of everything he's done, but he's certainly an amazing artist. A lot of his stuff is fascinating.

Definitely a disturbed fellow, I'd say. I'll tell you, a lot of work that hasn't made it on the net or whever else that's exclusive to that museum I went to...you can see why. It's real fucked up, some of it, so much so that it's really hard to appreciate it at all. Ugh. Some of it genuinely had me almost puking.

I'd be interested in seeing some of your favourites, Aaz. You too, Walter! DO IT! :beast:

I'm fond of Klimt

mermaids.jpg

gk006.jpg

gk005.jpg

edit: wow Beksinski's awesome! o.o (though i'm sure i own some books from the 70s with his art on the covers)

There are lots of really wonderful artists mentioned here, some whose work I'm familiar with and others with whose work I'm not (Beksinski), and I'm trying to remember some of my favorite artists and having a really difficult time, and the first name that comes to mind is Edward Gorey:

Edward+Gorey+Kate.JPG

bears.JPG

Edward%20Gorey.jpg

And as I'm trying to find a fair and representative image of Gorey's grimly humorous work (of which you should read), I begin to remember other names, like Aubrey Beardsley:

aubrey_beardsley_salome1.jpg

Gustav Caillebotte:

caillebotte.jpg

Jan van Eyck (whose Arnolfini and His Wife is possibly one of my favorite paintings ever):

arnolfine.jpg

and the detail:
VanEyck_TheArnolfiniMarriage,detail.jpg

and it should be noted that that isn't a very large painting, either, which makes the detail all the more impressive.

I really wish I could remember more......

The Perineum Falcon said:
Jan van Eyck (whose Arnolfini and His Wife is possibly one of my favorite paintings ever):

That van Eyck painting blew me away when I first saw it even though I'm not a big fan of northern art during the Renaissance. I love how he worked in a tiny self-portrait too, lol.

Deci said:
Caravaggio from the Baroque period. The first one is David and Goliath, and I can't remember the second one, The Taking of Christ, maybe? Regardless I love his style.

Caravaggio is amazing. I'm a huge fan of his Bacchus paintings. The realistic depiction of the wine in the glass he's holding in his second Bacchus painting is absolutely incredible. The idea of painting yourself as a god or other mythological figure also strikes my egotistical fancy. :ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Henry Spencer said:
I'd be interested in seeing some of your favourites, Aaz. You too, Walter! DO IT! :beast:

Oh well I like a lot of artists, and I'm not really an exclusive fan of anyone in particular (nor am I prone to remembering every artist's name, sadly). I guess I like Doré, Beksinski and Frazetta the most among those already cited, each in their different style. To give you a more exhaustive list of classical painters and illustrators I'd have to go through the various museums we have here in Paris and write each name down though. :ganishka:

Gustav Caillebotte

Gustave takes a 'e', you damn soviet sympathizer! :puck:

I've always liked that painting, and the other year my grandmother found a replica of that mirror at an antiques store. It's pretty neat!

I love Klimt, but I can never find a decently priced artbook with my favorite piece, I think it's a prototype of "Judith II":
klimt_judith2.jpg

And yeah, I love Beksinski. I think his son may have murdered him for his inheritance? Some people are really beyond my understanding.

Truly sorry for the double post, but I forgot to mention that if you like Klimt you may also enjoy Schiele:
schiele-standing-male-nude-with-red-loincloth-1914-graphis-361x600.jpg

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Aazealh said:
To give you a more exhaustive list of classical painters and illustrators I'd have to go through the various museums we have here in Paris and write each name down though. :ganishka:

Oh cool. When do you think you'll have that list by? :troll:

i just remembered that artist's name that was forgotten yesterday - pontormo.
pondep.jpg

and i was thinking also, how sad it is that the only thing most tourists go to the louvre to see is the mona lisa, even though that isn't even the best painting there - it's not even the best da vinci. and yet hundreds of these trolls with cameras surround its velvet rope and bullet proof glass to snap pictures of it dozens and dozens of times. sad, really. i saw it and i moved on. but two things that stopped me dead in my tracks were,

ingres' la grande odalisque
ingres_grande_odalisque_l.jpg

david's the coronation of empress josephine
images%5CNapCoronationDavid.jpg

and to give you an idea of the massive size of this beautiful thing
2245121361_825be3e319.jpg

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
01010111 said:
And yeah, I love Beksinski. I think his son may have murdered him for his inheritance? Some people are really beyond my understanding.

Nope, it was his caretaker's son that murdered him, just because Beksinski refused to loan him $100.
Both Beksinski wife and son had commited suicide just a year apart from each other. Pretty grim stuff.

I found another site on my bookmarks that has some more good (not high) quality images - http://2photo.ru/2007/06/06/uzhastiki_beksinski_zdzislaw.html

I have to admit i only have Paradise Lost and The Divine Comedy mainly to look at Doré's illustrations :schnoz:
Best site ever for his art - http://dore.artpassions.net/

Btw, great choices everyone.

NightCrawler said:
Nope, it was his caretaker's son that murdered him, just because Beksinski refused to loan him $100.
Both Beksinski wife and son had commited suicide just a year apart from each other. Pretty grim stuff.

I have to admit i only have Paradise Lost and The Divine Comedy mainly to look at Doré's illustrations :schnoz:
Thanks for the clear up on Beksinski! Will make me think twice about loaning money (KILL THEM FIRST)

I've been meaning to read Paradise Lost for ages, but I refuse to unless I have a copy with Doré's illustrations!

david's the coronation of empress josephine
http://www.wargame.ch/wc/nwc/newsletter/23rd_edition/Newsletter23/images%5CNapCoronationDavid.jpg

I definitely agree. I also had to stop to appreciate this one.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Haven't seen Francisco Goya mentioned yet.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS280&um=1&sa=1&q=Francisco+Goya&btnG=Search+images

Dona_Isabel_Cobos(Goya).jpg

Goya_Dona_Isabel_detail.jpg

goya_may3rd.jpg

800px-Goya_Maja_naga2.jpg

800px-Goya_Maja_ubrana2.jpg

colossus.jpeg

FranciscoGoya-The-Witches-Sabbath-1797-98.jpg

Rubens_saturn.jpg

328px-saturno_devorando_a_sus_hijos1.jpg

Goya_Self-portrait.jpg

I'm a big fan on Simon Bisley, especially his work on slaine

biz00306.jpg