How well would the real world handle the laws changing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets say the same thing that happening in Berserk happens in the real, and the mythological beasts of the spiritual world as they are portrayed in Berserk enter into the real world. How well do you people and the world at large handle things? Who's likely to do something stupid in this new world, who's likely to do something smart?

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Badass mode ash said:
Lets say the same thing that happening in Berserk happens in the real, and the mythological beasts of the spiritual world as they are portrayed in Berserk enter into the real world. How well do you people and the world at large handle things? Who's likely to do something stupid in this new world, who's likely to do something smart?

I think this should be in the Berserk Miscellaneous section, but I'll play along.

Well as far as I would go I'm more then positive I'd do pretty well. I mean I'm pretty well stocked for uprisings and zombie apocalypses, so I'm sure the Troll incursions would be just as easy to deal with.

Just modern weaponry alone would make this a lot tougher on the lesser monsters and maybe even some of the bigger ones. The way we live will be very effected; people will become much more reliant on street gangs, police force and the military.

Also certain areas will have a much easier time then others. Such as, Baltimore will have an easier time then San Francisco. Why? San Francisco has a gun ban, it's close proximity to a large body of water and lack of support from an ground forces in an emergency [there area Air Force bases around SF, however no Army bases]. Baltimore on the other hand does not have a gun ban [street gangs, citizen militias], it's close proximity to Washington DC would make it a priority in order to keep safe from the beasts along with being near military bases, while it's near a body of water [The Potomac] it's not next to THE ATLANTIC so anything coming to attack the city would have to go up the Potomac giving people in the city enough time to seek shelter.

Back to what I was getting at before, I think most of the world would turn into city states and would become reliant on anyone that can defend them. I can imagine Trolls giving people the hardest time because there is more of them, they seem more organized and I think they can adapt to using fire arms.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I think this should be in the Berserk Miscellaneous section, but I'll play along.

Well as far as I would go I'm more then positive I'd do pretty well. I mean I'm pretty well stocked for uprisings and zombie apocalypses, so I'm sure the Troll incursions would be just as easy to deal with.

Just modern weaponry alone would make this a lot tougher on the lesser monsters and maybe even some of the bigger ones. The way we live will be very effected; people will become much more reliant on street gangs, police force and the military.

Also certain areas will have a much easier time then others. Such as, Baltimore will have an easier time then San Francisco. Why? San Francisco has a gun ban, it's close proximity to a large body of water and lack of support from an ground forces in an emergency [there area Air Force bases around SF, however no Army bases]. Baltimore on the other hand does not have a gun ban [street gangs, citizen militias], it's close proximity to Washington DC would make it a priority in order to keep safe from the beasts along with being near military bases, while it's near a body of water [The Potomac] it's not next to THE ATLANTIC so anything coming to attack the city would have to go up the Potomac giving people in the city enough time to seek shelter.

Back to what I was getting at before, I think most of the world would turn into city states and would become reliant on anyone that can defend them. I can imagine Trolls giving people the hardest time because there is more of them, they seem more organized and I think they can adapt to using fire arms.

Remember K's line in the MIB movie about how a person is smart and how people are dumb panicky animals? Just assuming it's found out that witches like schierke and magic are real, just how do you think people will react to this? How will the governments and religious take this? And how long would it take before people just accepted these things as facts of life?

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Badass mode ash said:
Remeber K's line in the MIB movie about how a person is smart and how people are dumb panicky animals? Just assuming it's found out that witches like schierke and magic are real, just how do you think will react to this? How will the governments and religious take this? And how long would it take before people just accepted these things as facts of life?

Ignoring Men in Black, wiccans and pagans across the world will be shitting them selves with joy over real witches. As far as governments would go, they would most likely try reaching out to them to gain an upper hand over others.

X

Xem

Well if there's any hope at all, it'd be like any of the old late 70's or early 80's zombie movies. If not that, than perhaps like Stephen King's The Mist. Religious nuts screaming rapture and all. That's if we're lucky. =)

As far as governments would go, they would most likely try reaching out to them to gain an upper hand over others.

I can see it now, "So what if we've coincidentally never elected a non-Christian U.S. President? Or ever really even accepted any other monotheistic religion either? That doesn't mean we don't accept witchcraft! I mean, look at the history of civilization, we love witchcraft!"

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Deci said:
Well if there's any hope at all, it'd be like any of the old late 70's or early 80's zombie movies. If not that, than perhaps like Stephen King's The Mist. Religious nuts screaming rapture and all. That's if we're lucky. =)
You're giving government and people in general too little credit. The reason why those work so well is because they take a situation and go with the extreme, showing things like the end of the world because that's what people want to see. That's not how things in the real world work. Take for example situations like national emergencies and gauge from there such as the Great Baltimore Fire or the North Sea Flood of 1953. Those are both examples of catastrophies and how the human population react to them.

I can see it now, "So what if we've coincidentally never elected a non-Christian U.S. President? Or ever really even accepted any other monotheistic religion either? That doesn't mean we don't accept witchcraft! I mean, look at the history of civilization, we love witchcraft!"
We've had some "Christian" leaders act in very non-christian ways. Someone's religion is just another step for them getting ahead politically, again it's a very dumb way to gauge how world leader's would act. Truth is, a government would use anything they can to have an advantage over it's enemies.

X

Xem

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
You're giving government and people in general too little credit. The reason why those work so well is because they take a situation and go with the extreme, showing things like the end of the world because that's what people want to see. That's not how things in the real world work. Take for example situations like national emergencies and gauge from there such as the Great Baltimore Fire or the North Sea Flood of 1953. Those are both examples of catastrophies and how the human population react to them.

Excuse me for being pessimistic, I grew up in the Bible Belt. Here, Christianity is law. No offense, but I think you're giving people in general too much credit.

We've had some "Christian" leaders act in very non-christian ways. Someone's religion is just another step for them getting ahead politically, again it's a very dumb way to gauge how world leader's would act. Truth is, a government would use anything they can to have an advantage over it's enemies.

Okay, but seriously, what's acting religious? Are we talking about organized religion, like George Bush Jr. supported and acted successfully on, or "religion", where even if your Christian you're still ostracized for not being hardcore (Orwellian word is "faithful") enough?

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Deci said:
No offense, but I think you're giving people in general too much credit.
Why, because I don't think humanity will end? Care to provide examples of how humanity will ruin it's self? Please use examples from real life and not zombie movies or Men in Black quotes.

Okay, but seriously, what's acting religious?
You're from the Bible Belt you should know this. When someone is running for office they normally pander to who? Basically what I'm getting at is they are not really religious in the first place and using it more as a way to connect to voters.

Even if they were deeply religious, they would still try to use the magical creatures to their fullest to gain the upper hand against their enemies. Cold War should be enough evidence for that.

X

Xem

Just got back from being out of town for the 4th, sorry for the late reply! And it looks like this has turned into our own little private discussion Bob. :slan:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Why, because I don't think humanity will end? Care to provide examples of how humanity will ruin it's self? Please use examples from real life and not zombie movies or Men in Black quotes.

No, because I always expect the worst and hope for the best... well, most of the time. Especially when dealing with a large mob of people.

Anyway, there's not a good example to compare this to (I didn't use the MIB example by the way, though I dug it). A big fire or flood isn't anymore a fair comparison than the one's I listed above. People aren't going to react the same way when they see the kind's of things we're seeing in the past couple episodes that they would to a city burning down. If anything, my joking examples would be more accurate.

But you're right about one thing, I do believe humanity will end. How and when are another story, but I'd imagine it'll probably be somewhat self-inflicted to some degree. Or maybe it'll be somewhere along the lines of what the late great George Carlin once said, "When the Earth is done with us, it'll shake us off like a bad case of fleas." I always liked that idea.

You're from the Bible Belt you should know this. When someone is running for office they normally pander to who? Basically what I'm getting at is they are not really religious in the first place and using it more as a way to connect to voters.

I agree with you here, but that doesn't change the fact that they have to act like complete evangelical assholes in order to get elected. What's that say about society in general? Nothing good from my shoes.

Regardless, I think we're straying a bit off the topic. I was merely saying I don't hold much stock that the people and the government would be very kind to the idea of magical witches lofting about. I thought you were joking when you said that.

Even if they were deeply religious, they would still try to use the magical creatures to their fullest to gain the upper hand against their enemies. Cold War should be enough evidence for that.

I could see them wanting to use them for their advantage, but not accepting them as normal citizens. That's two different things.

Who knows really, we've never had any situation anywhere close to what's happening in Berserk, so I prefer to look at some of the more fun reactions people might have. Maybe everyone would launch their nukes and we could live in a Mad Max post-nuclear type of world, except with dragons and unicorns and such running around!

:troll:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Deci said:
No, because I always expect the worst and hope for the best... well, most of the time. Especially when dealing with a large mob of people.
My point about using A HELLISH FIRE and a FLOOD ON BIBLICAL PROPORTIONS was that they are extremely rare.

Anyway, there's not a good example to compare this to (I didn't use the MIB example by the way, though I dug it). A big fire or flood isn't anymore a fair comparison than the one's I listed above.
The problem with what you listed they come from the wonderful world of fiction. I could easily prove you wrong by saying, "Independence Day and Flash Gordon are examples why humanity will win over any enemy". Bringing up fiction is just lazy, where I'm sure you can look something up with some research.

People aren't going to react the same way when they see the kind's of things we're seeing in the past couple episodes that they would to a city burning down. If anything, my joking examples would be more accurate.
Your examples are also what George A Romero came up with.

But you're right about one thing, I do believe humanity will end.
I said how we live will end, not humanity.

How and when are another story, but I'd imagine it'll probably be somewhat self-inflicted to some degree. Or maybe it'll be somewhere along the lines of what the late great George Carlin once said, "When the Earth is done with us, it'll shake us off like a bad case of fleas." I always liked that idea.
:schierke:

I agree with you here, but that doesn't change the fact that they have to act like complete evangelical assholes in order to get elected. What's that say about society in general? Nothing good from my shoes.
Re-watch Bush years first to last.

Regardless, I think we're straying a bit off the topic. I was merely saying I don't hold much stock that the people and the government would be very kind to the idea of magical witches lofting about. I thought you were joking when you said that.
You should read my post, I said the government would be reaching out to the witches, warlocks, and wtf ever else to have an advantage over any threats.

This topic has gone form interesting to just embarrassing to post in, I'm out.

X

Xem

=/

This discussion was always pretty ridiculous if you ask me. I was just having some fun in my original post.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
The problem with what you listed they come from the wonderful world of fiction. I could easily prove you wrong by saying, "Independence Day and Flash Gordon are examples why humanity will win over any enemy". Bringing up fiction is just lazy, where I'm sure you can look something up with some research.

I would if I had any idea of an event that even slightly resembled what's going on in Berserk. How people react (or the government) to a catastrophic natural disaster isn't going to be in line with all the insanity that's going on in Berserk. Sorry to disappointment you on that front Bob. =(

And without that, there's really not a discussion anyway.

I think I sighed at least 11 times just typing this. I predict a dead thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom