red dragon vs silence of the lambs

BOB

poruno sutâ
what does evrybody think about this one? Seen it last friday and tho it had some very fine acting it is definately no match for silence. Can anybody explain exactly why it doesn't have balls? What went wrong is it just a franchise now with the director relying on hopkins aura or what?

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
due to the fact that i saw the movie "Hanibal" i just haven't got the desire to watch or see or hear ANYTHING bout that kind of thing.
(if you know what i'm saying)

-TS

Red Dragon is the re-make of Manhunter which actually came out before Silence of the Lambs. I haven't seen Red Dragon yet, but based on what I know about Manhunter, I would say that Silence of the Lambs is better because it's more subtle and suspenseful.

I say watch Manhunter. It has mediocre acting, a horrible soundtrack, and a terrible early 80's style wardrobe. You'll appriciate Red Dragon More.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Silence was so effective because it really played against type. Since it wasn’t done like a thriller it seemed more real and shocking; it was extremely subtle, and was therefore able to maintain an amazing level of suspense throughout the film (even during scenes that weren’t necessarily suspenseful on their own merits). Also, it had a lot of different social issues it worked with and tied together through its characters. Red Dragon on the other hand, is more a traditional thriller. It’s good; stylish, lots of fun, has interesting characters and a great cast. But I don't think it was ever meant to humble Silence, which remains a masterpiece of sorts. The difference being that; while Dragon may be a fine example of the genre, Silence managed to transcend it.

-Griffith

P.S. I very much recommend reading Red Dragon. The book delves deep into issues the film only skims the surface of.

puella

Berserk forever
I've read three books, the silence of the lambs, Hannibal , red dragon and have seen those two movies except red dragon. and also Manhunter.
I personally think it's very hard and rare that movies are better than their original.

Anyway, they are all good to me except Hannibal.
Above all, the last scene of Hannibal sucks to me. :(
I'm much expecting red dragon and love its cast and staff, especially Dino De Laurentiis , though it's not certain if I'll go to theater to see it.
The characters created by Thomas Harris have many strong appealing points, I think. I love the way how all their lives are controlled over by their childhood memory that Thomas Harris shows us .

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
puella said:

you're totally right. however, the last scene is of the same quality as all other goddamn scenes in that pathetic movie: zero.

god, i wished i had never seen that piece of crap.

-TS

Pierre_Bronkovichi

ITS A WAY TO LIEVE!!
:'( Pierre threely felt the red dragon. Thi drector shot the better film Pierre thinks often to himself. Sense of Lambds was a mery picture on side by side.

maximus

Es ist einsam im Nebel zu wandern...
trapped_soul said:
Maximus said:
puella said:
yeah really no more to say bout that!
::)

at least i wasn't sitting in the first row at the theatre, at the very left end - like you... ;D ;D

:p
hehe i wasn t sure to add that little detail but...
yes it was pure HORROR!
o_O

puella

Berserk forever
second comment about that damned last scene:
I meant two last scenes in both the book and the movie, not just the movie.

Clarice gets to fall in love with Hannibal?
it was expected to happen but it would be better if they just kept it in their minds, not open it, I think.
that subtle and delicate feeling of theirs is the best of the silence of the lambs.
However, Thomas Harris crushed it with their love-making scene. damn!

BOB

poruno sutâ
i kinda liked hannibal for taking such a different approach, regarding mr lectors behavior. he's free so he's got no reasons for his mind games.
i would not dare comparing this one to silence but red dragon on the other hand is kinda similar to silence and imo fails to do so.
only thing that bugged me about hannibal was juliane moore, though being a very good actress she couldn't quite get starlings inner turmoil across.
liked the disgusting scenes tho, that were somehow the essence of that movie

puella

Berserk forever
Just finished the movie regretting I didn't see it at theater.
I had been terribly disappointed by Hannibal so I didn't go to theater which is very ridiclulous and makes no sense.
Why the hell I relate this movie with Hannibal?
At least I didn't want to see some creepy scenes sitting in the chair of theater.

But not as I expected, the movie doesn't have creepy scenes a lot, much less than the original novel.
And Mr. D in the movie makes me feel pity for him more than in the novel in some way.
His character is sorta refined and more human.
Ralph Fiennes and Emily Watson are so great to me,not to mention Edward Norton, Anthony Hopkins and Harvey Keitel.

Fiennes shows me well "evil" and "victim" at the same time. "little beasy" and "cunt face " Dolarhyde was in his childhood.
What do you think those who were abused want to be most? That is to get more power to take revenge and to make them something much different.
"I'm different one which is why I've been so abused by stupid people." Dolarhyde can laugh at people who make fun of him by thinking like that.

But it is also true he feels extreme satisfaction or happiness by killing something. Could it show us those who were abused KNOW the pleasant feeling of abusing something? So horrible thing.

I'd say Dolarhyde has some part to make people sympathize him unlike James Gumb in the silence of the lambs. No doubt both are total psychopath and evil. But Dolarhyde is different a little bit. huh? ^^;;

Regarding Hannibal, is it necessary to show the name of Anthony Hopkins first?
Hey, the main character of that movie IS F. Dolarhyde, red dragon!!!!
It would be better if the movie went along with the novel for Hannibal's role. But if so, they couldn't make money that much.

I read Hopkins lost several pounds for the movie because he had to look 12 years younger than in the two previous movies. However it's a total failure because Hannibal in the movie looks older with a million of wrinkles! haha~
This actor's face always reminds me of the surface of the moon. =)

And I expected how "teeth" is described in the movie but it doesn't show much. Mr. D's teeth are not terrible as I expected, I mean.

Edward Norton, I like this guy! but he should look much older and his thin voice bothers me. He's like in "Fight Club" to me.
and how about Norton playing as my Serpico? =)

***Anyway, it's good enough to satisfy people like me who have not seen a good thriller movie for a long time.

Top Bottom