King of Fighters XII, Marvel vs Capcom 2

It hits streets soon, I know blazblue just came out and MVC2 comes out a day after KOF12. Who are interested? Are fighting games coming back with a fist full of fire balls? Will fighting games be at the top like they once where starting wish the release of SF4? So many fighters in one time will it be overwhelming? I don't know. What is every ones thoughts on the matter and what are your interests?

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Re: KOF12, MvC2

Breed1Ghost said:
It hits streets soon, I know blazblue just came out and MVC2 comes out a day after KOF12. Who are interested? Are fighting games coming back with a fist full of fire balls? Will fighting games be at the top like they once where starting wish the release of SF4? So many fighters in one time will it be overwhelming? I don't know. What is every ones thoughts on the matter and what are your interests?

I already have MVC2 in the dreamcast Thanks to handsome. KOF12 hmmm, I'm not really waiting for that. I am waiting for TEkken 6 though.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you

When I first got into the Marine Corps and stationed in Okinawa, I spent every weekend for a month putting in 20 bucks worth of quarters a day into MVC2. God damn you SSgt Q and your fucking Guile bullshit! :mozgus: I can say that I was the second best player there compared to him... It was that game and Tekken Tag at the time that were the most played. Man I love that fucking game!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

I <3 SF4, BB CWAL 4 KOS12,MVC2!!!

gutsbarf.gif

Could you at least spell the names out in the thread title, if not the OP, so people that aren't in the know don't have to guess what you're acronyming the Hell out of? I'm serious, fix it or this thread is going bb4evr.

Griffith

Oh, I know, but it's not good enough. Though I am happy to see words used in any case, and even spaces to separate them! Breed, copy/paste Nighcrawler's fine example into the title and we're cool. =)

Speaking of which, why does BlazBlue have the honor of being spelled out, so as not to confuse it with Bubble Bobble?

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.

宮本 グリフィス said:
Oh, I know, but it's not good enough. Though I am happy to see words used in any case, and even spaces to separate them! Breed, copy/paste Nighcrawler's fine example into the title and we're cool. =)

Speaking of which, why does BlazBlue have the honor of being spelled out, so as not to confuse it with Bubble Bobble?

I bet he thought everyone knows about Stree fighter,King of Fighters, and Marvel Vs Capcom. Itto score = 0,

Griffith

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Probably because Bubble Bobble isn't a fighting game? :troll:

Even more reason just to go with BB in this context; I mean, who doesn't immediately recognize BB!

Th3Branded0ne said:
I bet he thought everyone knows about Stree fighter,King of Fighters, and Marvel Vs Capcom. Itto score = 0,

That's not even so bad, but if one's going to make a thread, actually spell out and establish what it's about in the title so anyone would know, even if they're not totally familiar with it, like most of the rest of the threads in this section for example. Don't just throw two acronyms back to back separated by a comma. It's just the principle of the thing, same reason I didn't just fix it myself. =)

ANYWAY, never been KOF fan, and while I like MvC fine, I don't really care that they're bringing 2 out again, because I'm still more concerned with the fact that we have arbitrary game concepts such as Marvel vs. Capcom and DC vs Mortal Kombat in existence, yet no Marvel vs DC or Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat, which are infinitely more intuitive, exciting, and better ideas. So, rather than play these games, I'm just going to keep contemplating that one with my face planted gently in my palms.

Breed1Ghost said:

I'm not excited about MvC2. I mean I already have the dreamcast version. I don't really see anything special about this downloadable one coming out. Hopefully, the only reason for it's re-re-release is either for capcom to introduce the series to new players for a potential MvC3 release or to see if there is enough interest to even make a MvC3.

In regards to KOF, I never been a fan. So I am not looking forward to it. The only one I liked was one of the KOF's that was in 3d I forget which one. But, me being a perv and all, I liked it only because Mai's boobs were very well animated and pleasing to look at :carcus:

What about a CvSNK3? That was a nice fighter. Fighters just don't seem to be great like they were back in the day of SF2 and world heroes. SF4 was good and all but it wasn't that amazing. I guess its cause I played the JP arcade too many times. Also the crap that was released called MKvDC didn't help the fighter genre. Blazblue certainly stands out for me in terms of recent releases.

Griffith

ori said:
Also the crap that was released called MKvDC didn't help the fighter genre. Blazblue certainly stands out for me in terms of recent releases.

Now you're talking, here we have the embodiments of the two major opposing problems of many fighting games today. MKvsDC, which has stable of popular, compelling, and time-tested characters, but is medicore, while BlazBlue is a good fighter with characters and concepts that are mediocre to put it nicely.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.

I'm pretty much a King of Fighters and Fatal Fury nut, so I am very excited about KoF12. Although, my enthusiasm for the series was tempered after SNK was bought out by Playmore... I just don't feel like they did a very good job, and that they rehashed aspects of the series even more than SNK did (which I had thought impossible). That said, when I eventually buy a xbox 360 or Ps3 down the road I will most certainly pick up KOF12, if not solely for the KOF gameplay in glorious high definition.

Like many others, I have Marvel vs Capcom 2 for Dreamcast, so I'm pretty apathetic to its re-release. I won't be chasing after it, but I do think releasing MVC2 is a great idea because unlike a lot of the fighting games mentioned here its fairly friendly to button mashers, so hopefully it'll hook some of my friends into the fighting genre so I can have some new sparring partners for my older favorites.

Begemot

STOP UNDRESSING ME WITH YOUR EYES!

宮本 グリフィス said:
Now you're talking, here we have the embodiments of the two major opposing problems of many fighting games today. MKvsDC, which has stable of popular, compelling, and time-tested characters, but is medicore, while BlazBlue is a good fighter with characters and concepts that are mediocre to put it nicely.

Well, to be honest, Midway fighters have never really been known for their gameplay. I actually cringed when I first heard about MKvDC. As far as Blazblue having mediocre concepts, I'm taking that to be in regards to characters and story, as there are some novel fighting game concepts that are quite compelling, such as Rachel's wind control, and Tager's magnetism.

MvC2 is rather big news because it is not an easy game to find for home consoles. This solves that problem. As for King of Fighters, the series is usually fun, but they scrap and introduce certain system mechanics in each iteration, instead of refining currently existing ones. So they sometimes give the impression of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. They do tend to have interesting ideas though.

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core remains the king of fighting games for me.

One thing to note, however, is that fighting games, especially the first iteration in a series, often turn out wildly different than the developers expect, because not even they know exactly what the game's engine is capable of. Capcom actually tends to benefit from this. IIRC, 2-in-1 combos (or Special Cancels) in SFII weren't originally intended in development, but were retained once it was realized how much better they made the game. Kara Cancels opened up a lot of new tricks in SFIII, such as extending throw range, some of Akuma's Raging Demon setups, and some option selects. CvS2 actually might have benefited the most from something that the developers never saw coming with Roll Cancels. A lot of characters needed options to deal with dominant pokes, frame traps and rushdown, RCs gave them that tool.

At least it looks as if us UK type people are getting this unlike Blazblue (I don't have a PS3 so I can't import a region free copy :()

And KoFXII does look awesome... but my only problem with it is that so far all the people I was ever good with in KoF games are absent, which sucks

The entire Women Fighters Team is missing in action, I was always best with King and Whip :(

This just leaves Benimaru and maybe Leona who I have a chance of using.

SNK I don't mind if you mix up the battle system, this encourages learning... but not inclduing half the cast?

Here's hoping for character downloads later on

Also why no Mai? I find it strange that a character that has been in every single KoF game has been omitted

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Woland said:
As far as Blazblue having mediocre concepts, I'm taking that to be in regards to characters and story

Yes, the character design sucks and honestly I even don't think the sprites are very well drawn. It's surprising considering the efforts put into the rest of the game.

Anyway, never been a KoF fan myself so I'm not interested in the new one at all. I might get MvC2 however, if it's cheap. You guys are funny, yeah sure I have the game on Dreamcast too, but my Dreamcast has been eating dust in my attic for years (and I'm pretty sure that's the case for most people). I still have my SNES but I buy games on the Virtual Console anyway.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.

Aazealh said:
I still have my SNES but I buy games on the Virtual Console anyway.

I just don't see the point, thats 5-15 I could save for a rainy day or buy something I've never played before. Besides that, I tend to prefer playing games with the original controllers they were designed for... maybe its nostalgia or maybe I'm just used to it, but it feels better to me.

But hey, to each their own. I definitely see some value in consolidating your game library, but for the reasons above its not worth it to me yet.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Scorpio said:
I just don't see the point, thats 5-15 I could save for a rainy day or buy something I've never played before. Besides that, I tend to prefer playing games with the original controllers they were designed for... maybe its nostalgia or maybe I'm just used to it, but it feels better to me.

But hey, to each their own. I definitely see some value in consolidating your game library, but for the reasons above its not worth it to me yet.

Well it's cool really, I mean I completely understand that someone wouldn't want to pay twice for the same game (and I don't particularly like it myself as a matter of fact). However for me personally it's incredibly more convenient to get a few old games I feel like replaying on systems I'm actually regularly using than to have all my old stuff together under the TV. It'd just be a mess, and I don't have the place anyway. That's why I'm also a fiend for backward compatibility in general.

宮本 グリフィス said:

For me a fighter needs to have a good fighting system first. The music is second. Character design third. Everything else last. Story doesn't matter to me nor what each fighter is fighting for.

In the case of MKvDC, I didn't like any of the criteria I mentioned above. Sure the characters(on the DC side) are popular, compelling and time tested but they simply didn't fit into a fighter for me. It just seemed weird to me.

Blazblue has a nice fighting system. The music is exceptional. Character design is weak on some. I like some of the character designs just not all of them. I certainly like the red and black versions of Noel and Jin. Come on you don't like Litchi's outfit? :carcus: Story doesn't matter to me on this one. I mean I still don't understand what the heck is going on in the game. All I know is I'm liking it better than SF4 right now. I know, I know yes I said that. I'm probably going to get some die-hard SF fans pissed. :sad:

Sorry about the tittle of the thread and sorry for assuming everyone knows what they are but if you don't know what Kof is or MvC2 by now then why bother posting in a thread if you don't know? But thats my bad.

Allot of mixed feelings going on I see for mvc2 and kof. I only own 2 kof games not sure which the first one was but 11 is pretty good. I like the look of 12 I may get it alittle down the road but I'm not sure yet.

And for the dreamcast owning mvc2 I know where your coming from and it sucks they are not giving it an hd upgrade but it still has on line play which may be a big draw to the game again as well. I just saw the PS2 mvc2 used for 70 I don't own it so 10 bucks is looking awesome right now if i get it at all.

Blazblue or bb is pretty good I do enjoy it and I do think its better then sf4 in some areas. Like the on line match system I feel is a tad bit better but not by much and the story mode is decent and long since you need to do allot to get 100% for each character. And to help understand the story alittle bit, is that every character is stuck in some kind of time warp and history or that same time line keeps looping until the right thing happens to stop or distort the loop in some way.
I don't know how to do tags so maybe SPOILER:::: Hakumon is Jin and Litchi worked with tagger, I think she excavated Hakumon I don't remember off hand.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless

Manjou said:
At least it looks as if us UK type people are getting this unlike Blazblue (I don't have a PS3 so I can't import a region free copy :()

And KoFXII does look awesome... but my only problem with it is that so far all the people I was ever good with in KoF games are absent, which sucks

The entire Women Fighters Team is missing in action, I was always best with King and Whip :(

This just leaves Benimaru and maybe Leona who I have a chance of using.

SNK I don't mind if you mix up the battle system, this encourages learning... but not inclduing half the cast?

Here's hoping for character downloads later on

Also why no Mai? I find it strange that a character that has been in every single KoF game has been omitted

King is in it.

Is this a new announcement?

kofroster.jpg

I know Elizabeth and Mature are console only exclusives

I'd have thought they'd put Mai in before King

But if you are right then that's awesome! :guts:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Oh shit, my mistake. King is out :( I really thought she was in the console version.

Anyway i believe KOF12 is more of a "tech demo" for the full sequel that will be KOF13. With an actual story (who cares these days anyway, since the Oroshi saga ended) and more characters. Cause that's what's KOF's all about. Loads and loads of great characters.

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
I'd rather see a MVC3 than another port. Given the popularity of Marvel Comic characters turned movie characters, I think it would warrant an update. Glad to see a new KOF game as that's been my favorite fighting game series since back in the SNK arcade days (Street Fighter a close second).

I have the DC version (best port of the arcade version) of MVC2 so I'm not too excited for a PS3 version, even with the online part.

Top Bottom