Author Topic: Games to look forward to!  (Read 106990 times)

Offline Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
Re: Games to look forward to!
« Reply #550 on: February 15, 2019, 04:40:19 AM »
Nintendo is remaking Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch. Due out later this year:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/_U-_XfDGgDw

I was excited when I was hoping the animated opening was reflective of the style they were going for in game rather than Mii Plaza. =)

It pales next to Link's Awakening, but the sequel to Hollow Knight looks neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFAknD_9U7c

Well, looks like quite a bit more of the same, and I'm not a big fan of promoting a supporting character to main protagonist in a sequel. I needed at least a HINT of something expanding on the fate of The Knight. :guts:

Offline Username has been taken

• Of the Interstice
  • My post our worse
« Reply #551 on: February 15, 2019, 12:43:37 PM »
I was excited when I was hoping the animated opening was reflective of the style they were going for in-game rather than Mii Plaza. =)

Oh yeah, Mii Plaza that was a thing  :puck:

by the way, be careful what you wish for because I would personally be horrified if the game reflected an animated look considering Zelda's previous attempts at an animated looking game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN8-Pdz-ns8
 :magni:

so ill stick with the Mii Plaza look for now  :shrug:

« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 12:55:36 PM by Username has been taken »
bang

Online Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #552 on: February 15, 2019, 01:33:15 PM »
I like the look of Link's Awakening. This Mii Plaza joke has me remembering when Wind Waker came out and people thought it was too cartoony/for kids. This looks like a whole world made out of miniatures. I think that's a pretty cool idea, for everything to look very solid and hand-crafted.

Check out how the lighting shows off the texture on each tile.

• Of the Interstice
  • My post our worse
« Reply #553 on: February 15, 2019, 03:46:54 PM »
I like the look of Link's Awakening. This Mii Plaza joke has me remembering when Wind Waker came out and people thought it was too cartoony/for kids. This looks like a whole world made out of miniatures. I think that's a pretty cool idea, for everything to look very solid and hand-crafted.

I'll give it a shot just like how I gave wind waker a shot. And jokes aside I do find the whole almost plastic toy-like design of the game interesting and definitely innovative. But hey I'm fine with anything as long as it's not this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNpLXo55yfw
bang

Offline Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Reply #554 on: February 15, 2019, 05:23:32 PM »
I like the look of Link's Awakening. This Mii Plaza joke has me remembering when Wind Waker came out and people thought it was too cartoony/for kids.

Or when Minish Cap came out! :carcus: Anyway, the ultimate quality of the game and that style notwithstanding; it was! They turned off half the fanbase. :ganishka: There's lots of reasons OoT and Twilight Princess after it sold a gazillion copies, but part of it is the appeal of the art design, which was also fantastic if not as unique and iconic. I thought they did a fine job threading the needle with Skyward Sword and perfected it with BoTW. Hell, do something more with cel-shading, that's what was great about WW anyway. Make Link and his environment and enemies appear exactly as they did in the Link's Awakening instruction manual! How cool would that be (I've basically been waiting years for this =)?

This looks like a whole world made out of miniatures. I think that's a pretty cool idea, for everything to look very solid and hand-crafted.

Check out how the lighting shows off the texture on each tile.

That's cool, it can be done well of course, but however they dress up some of the graphical details I'm just not a fan of the overall design, and my cynical ass also can't help but interpret it as a cheap gimmick, basically. Like, this indicates to me it clearly isn't their best effort, and while that's fine for a remake, I would have preferred a different direction with the opportunity to do something with it you might not in a main game, especially since it theoretically won't be too big as a ported portable (sure doesn't look like they're going the RE2 route, anyway).

And jokes aside I do find the whole almost plastic toy-like design of the game interesting and definitely innovative.

What about Yoshi's Story and LittleBigPlanet to name a couple? Also, explicitly mentioning the toy aspect I can't help but think, "GET THE TOY LINK AMIIBO TOY TO GO WITH YOUR CARTOON LINK AMIIBO TOY AND MORE SERIOUS CARTOON LINK AMIIBO TOY!" I'm clearly wrong about this being bad for business as far as the fanbase is concerned now. We all made our choices long ago. I'm mostly peeved that now I have to buy a Switch for a game that I think looks cheap. =)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 09:22:19 PM by Griffith »

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #555 on: February 15, 2019, 06:43:15 PM »
I think the style's fine. Fits the game's top down view.

By the way, check out this Japanese TV commercial for the game that aired in 1993: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2Eo9dh3xgQ

Offline Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Reply #556 on: February 15, 2019, 07:11:19 PM »
By the way, check out this Japanese TV commercial for the game that aired in 1993: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2Eo9dh3xgQ

Wow, it was all part of the plan! :guts:

• Of the Interstice
  • My post our worse
« Reply #557 on: March 01, 2019, 05:23:26 PM »

What about Yoshi's Story and LittleBigPlanet to name a couple?
Well, you got me there  :ganishka: well let me rephrase that it's innovative for a Zelda game as we hadn't really had a Zelda game look like this as of now. wow, this response is a bit late isn't.

More news on Cyberpunk 2077 apparently they say they are going to to be present at e3 2019 to be expected, but what I'm wondering is are we going to get a release date.
here's a vid on it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqQ6vO3jtW4
bang