Author Topic: What Are You Playing?  (Read 425446 times)

Offline Rhombaad

• Old Fart in Training
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
Re: What Are You Playing?
« Reply #2750 on: April 17, 2018, 04:11:39 PM »
I just beat Mega Man. I didn't use the pause trick on Yellow Devil, either. :badbone: Much like Castlevania, I'm so glad I gave this series another try. I had such a great time playing this game. I can't wait to play the second and third one, which I've heard are the best of the NES games.

Next up for mobile gaming is Castlevania II: Simon's Quest. After reading a bunch of mixed reviews, I'm going to give it a shot and see what I think. I'll probably use a guide for most of it, since the localization is notoriously bad.

Online Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Reply #2751 on: April 17, 2018, 05:17:24 PM »
I finished Sonic 3 & Knuckles over the weekend. I'm so glad I decided to play the original Sonic games. I had a great time with every one, but I think Sonic 3 & Knuckles was my favorite. The graphics were amazing for their time, the boss fights were enjoyable and there was a lot of extra stuff to do.

Glad to hear it, great games, and once again... what happened, Sega?

I just beat Mega Man. I didn't use the pause trick on Yellow Devil, either. :badbone: Much like Castlevania, I'm so glad I gave this series another try. I had such a great time playing this game. I can't wait to play the second and third one, which I've heard are the best of the NES games.

Damn, beat it before I could even warn you! Did you use save states though or play it on something other than a regulation NES machine, Billy Mitchell!? In any case, that's impressive because the original Yellow Devil is a pain in the ass, as is the rest of MM1. MM2 and 3 are the class of the series, but they may seem a little easy to you after that one.

I finished Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare the other night and was bit sad it was over. Weird DLC, basically a new game, and while I wasn't in love with the concept or the mechanics of clearing towns and graveyards it did give a second life to an already enjoyable game. Plus, despite technically being a non-canon alternate timeline deal it was strangely relevant, self-aware and cathartic to the main game's story and themes to the point it actually adds to and deepins the overall experience despite itself. One can't help but consider it as a spiritual continuation commenting on the preceding story, a figurative and perhaps literal afterlife. Also, I loved the payoff at the end, it was kind of what I was hoping for to start the game but they way they did it was even better. Anyway, great game(s)!

Oh, and since I'm still on that Rockstar kick I fired up GTAV again and am making some incremental progress... but it's a little bit more of a chore than some transportive experience.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 06:41:06 PM by Griffith »

Offline Rhombaad

• Old Fart in Training
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
« Reply #2752 on: April 17, 2018, 06:00:38 PM »
Damn, beat it before I could even warn you! Did you use save states though or play it on something other than a regulation NES machine, Billy Mitchell!? In any case, that's impressive because the original Yellow Devil is a pain in the ass, as is the rest of MM1. MM2 and 3 are the class of the series, but they may seem a little easy to you after that one.

I played it on my 3DS, but I didn't use save states. I basically paused the game when shutting down the system and restarted where I left off (had I been playing on an NES, I probably would've needed to leave it paused over several days). I was very tempted to use a save state right before the Yellow Devil, since I was getting tired of making my way through Dr. Wily stage 1 so many times, but I didn't. That bastard was terrible, but after fighting it over and over and over again, I finally nailed the pattern and put it out of its misery (or vice versa?).

Offline Johnstantine

« Reply #2753 on: April 21, 2018, 11:11:45 PM »
Playing the new God of War. It actually lives up to the hype it's getting=)

Offline Rhombaad

• Old Fart in Training
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
« Reply #2754 on: April 23, 2018, 07:13:09 PM »
I finished Simon's Quest last Thursday. It was okay; nothing to write home about. It wasn't nearly as bad as some critics made it out to be, but it wasn't amazing, either.

I started playing Ninja Gaiden on the 3DS Virtual Console today. I'm on Act III and doing okay, but I've heard it gets insanely hard the further in you go.

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #2755 on: April 23, 2018, 07:36:11 PM »
I finished Simon's Quest last Thursday. It was okay; nothing to write home about. It wasn't nearly as bad as some critics made it out to be, but it wasn't amazing, either.

Pfff, what are you talking about. It's easily one of the best games in the series. A bold, visionary title that, among other things, laid the groundwork for Symphony of the Night.

Online Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Reply #2756 on: April 23, 2018, 08:09:20 PM »
Pfff, what are you talking about. It's easily one of the best games in the series. A bold, visionary title that, among other things, laid the groundwork for Symphony of the Night.

New sub-topic: What's the worst game you think is amazing/significant? :troll:

Uhhh... MGS2 for me maybe? I'll have to think on this more, because aside from the alienating story elements it's a pretty objectively impressive game.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 08:26:27 PM by Griffith »

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #2757 on: April 23, 2018, 08:18:08 PM »

I guess some works of art are just too good to be appreciated by philistines like you guys. :iva:

Offline Rhombaad

• Old Fart in Training
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
« Reply #2758 on: April 23, 2018, 08:40:14 PM »

Much like Zelda II, I appreciated it for taking the series in a bold new direction, and for laying the groundwork for Symphony of the Night, as you said, I just didn't have much fun playing it. Maybe because I used a guide (which is what I heard was recommended) or because I'm playing it 30 years later? I'm glad you enjoyed it, though.

Uhhh... MGS2 for me maybe? I'll have to think on this more, because aside from the alienating story elements it's a pretty objectively impressive game.

Ah, MGS2. I hated it the first time through, and loved it the second time. And it turned out to be quite prescient, what with the metadata gathering by the NSA.

I guess some works of art are just too good to be appreciated by philistines like you guys. :iva:

We just don't have your refined palate. :void:

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #2759 on: April 23, 2018, 08:45:55 PM »
Maybe because I used a guide (which is what I heard was recommended)

!!!

A guide! And here I thought you were pursuing a laudable endeavor. But you're cheating! :iva:
(Just kidding, but I enjoy playing the irate old man way too much for my own good, I should probably keep myself in check before I start yelling at kids that they're having too much fun at the park)

P.S. Oh and as for me, I'm playing Rise of the Tomb Raider these days (after letting it rot in my backlog for god knows how long), and I'm handily beating Griffith's score in every level. :badbone:

Offline Rhombaad

• Old Fart in Training
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
« Reply #2760 on: April 23, 2018, 09:15:35 PM »
!!!

A guide! And here I thought you were pursuing a laudable endeavor. But you're cheating! :iva:
(Just kidding, but I enjoy playing the irate old man way too much for my own good, I should probably keep myself in check before I start yelling at kids that they're having too much fun at the park)

I know, I know. Bad Rhombaad. :sad:

If I could do it over, I wouldn't have used one (except when I got really stumped). Oh well; too late now. I'm doing my best not to use guides for any of the games, but I read so many reviews of Simon's Quest that said you needed to because of the poor localization. How were you able to figure out the tornado trick without a guide? Schoolyard talk? (I'm assuming you played the game when it originally came out; please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Offline Gamehowitzer

« Reply #2761 on: April 24, 2018, 03:14:53 AM »
Much like Zelda II, I appreciated it for taking the series in a bold new direction, and for laying the groundwork for Symphony of the Night, as you said, I just didn't have much fun playing it. Maybe because I used a guide (which is what I heard was recommended) or because I'm playing it 30 years later? I'm glad you enjoyed it, though.

Ah, MGS2. I hated it the first time through, and loved it the second time. And it turned out to be quite prescient, what with the metadata gathering by the NSA.

We just don't have your refined palate. :void:
Is it bad i actually enjoyed playing zelda 2 more than zelda 1?

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #2762 on: April 24, 2018, 04:39:29 AM »
How were you able to figure out the tornado trick without a guide? Schoolyard talk? (I'm assuming you played the game when it originally came out; please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Pretty sure I found it by chance, but you should know it took me what felt like a year to finish the game at the time. Objectively a harrowing experience, but it gave me time to appreciate the game to its full extent. I didn't speak English at the time either, so I didn't know what the NPCs were saying anyway. I think we had some shitty translations in the box, and there may have been some clues there, but can't remember.

Yes. Very bad. :azan:

Offline Rhombaad

• Old Fart in Training
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
« Reply #2763 on: April 24, 2018, 02:08:06 PM »
Pretty sure I found it by chance, but you should know it took me what felt like a year to finish the game at the time. Objectively a harrowing experience, but it gave me time to appreciate the game to its full extent. I didn't speak English at the time either, so I didn't know what the NPCs were saying anyway. I think we had some shitty translations in the box, and there may have been some clues there, but can't remember.

Damn. Good for you. :ubik:

Yes. Very bad. :azan:

:ganishka:

Online Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Reply #2764 on: April 24, 2018, 03:39:47 PM »

I'm not actually, and I don't see what being Filipino has to with it anyway! :puck:

P.S. Oh and as for me, I'm playing Rise of the Tomb Raider these days (after letting it rot in my backlog for god knows how long), and I'm handily beating Griffith's score in every level. :badbone:

That shouldn't be hard, unless score is kept by seeing how much ammo one can waste in each section and still be fine. =)

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #2765 on: April 24, 2018, 03:52:47 PM »
I started playing Ninja Gaiden on the 3DS Virtual Console today. I'm on Act III and doing okay, but I've heard it gets insanely hard the further in you go.

Fantastic game! If you're playing on 3DS you should have access to save states, which will dramatically lessen the frustration. The game's legendary difficulty is mostly related to the fact that if you die once in one of the later stages, you're pushed allllll the way back to the start of a really long sequence, involving multiple bosses. It's just really poor planning on the game developer's part. They didn't think it through, and so we must SUFFER.

Give Ninja Gaiden 2 a shot after you finish 1, even if you don't go all the way through it, there are some great moments (and music).
:femto: :slan: :ubik:

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #2766 on: April 24, 2018, 06:24:47 PM »
That shouldn't be hard, unless score is kept by seeing how much ammo one can waste in each section and still be fine. =)

Haha, yeah I'm playing in "Hard" I think and it's still pretty damn easy. It's the sort of game you can finish in 5 hours unless you choose to do all the little side things. Still, I'm having a good time with it so far! Just good old adventure stuff, reminds me of better times. =)

Offline Fancypantaloons

« Reply #2767 on: April 24, 2018, 06:31:35 PM »
I encountered an old game for MS-DOS called "Sword of the Samurai", it has so many elements that remind me of Mount&Blade. That's what I'm going to be playing if I find it.

Offline Rhombaad

• Old Fart in Training
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
« Reply #2768 on: April 24, 2018, 06:46:26 PM »
Fantastic game! If you're playing on 3DS you should have access to save states, which will dramatically lessen the frustration. The game's legendary difficulty is mostly related to the fact that if you die once in one of the later stages, you're pushed allllll the way back to the start of a really long sequence, involving multiple bosses. It's just really poor planning on the game developer's part. They didn't think it through, and so we must SUFFER.

I'm loving it so far. I'm not using save states, though, since it gives me unlimited continues. I'm on stage 6-2 right now and my right arm and hand really hurt, but I've almost got it. One more stage and the final boss to go!

Give Ninja Gaiden 2 a shot after you finish 1, even if you don't go all the way through it, there are some great moments (and music).

I plan on it, but not right away. I need to regain the use of my thumbs. :ganishka:

Edit: Just beat Ninja Gaiden!!!! Thank God that's over. I loved almost every minute of that game, but I don't ever want to play it again, haha. Next up: Mega Man 2. Can't wait! :guts:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:37:41 PM by Rhombaad »

Offline m

• Falconian
  • Of the Interstice
« Reply #2769 on: May 01, 2018, 05:36:23 PM »

Reading what Walter wrote about Infinite Space on the favorite game series thread made me want to pick it up again, to see if it would click for me at some point. Well, I just finished the game and unfortunately it never quite did click. I could definitely see many of the game's qualities, some of which reminded me of other games I've really liked, but in the end it didn't really resonate with me. :judo: (it should go without that saying that this is on me and not the game)

Offline Rhombaad

• Old Fart in Training
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
« Reply #2770 on: May 01, 2018, 06:23:05 PM »
I beat Mega Man 2 yesterday afternoon. It was a lot of fun to play, but on Normal difficulty it was pretty easy after beating Ninja Gaiden. I'll probably go back some day and try to beat it on Difficult (the Japanese default), but for now I'm moving on. I'm sticking with playing Final Fantasy II until I beat it. After that, I'm not sure what'll be next. I'm adding a bunch of games from the Sega Master System to my list, so what I think I might play next may not be. :void:

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #2771 on: May 01, 2018, 07:48:43 PM »
Reading what Walter wrote about Infinite Space on the favorite game series thread made me want to pick it up again, to see if it would click for me at some point. Well, I just finished the game and unfortunately it never quite did click. I could definitely see many of the game's qualities, some of which reminded me of other games I've really liked, but in the end it didn't really resonate with me. :judo: (it should go without that saying that this is on me and not the game)

Aw man, that's terrible! Well, I certainly don't think the game is for everyone. So all I can do is really describe my experience with the game, which was phenomenal.

Now that you've played it, I think you probably know what I was talking about in my impressions, about what it does that most game stories rarely do [develop a character over a significant period of time. The 10 year gap thing blew me away, particularly with how they handled it, how awesome Yuri became, re-building your corps, and catching up on everyone from the past. The cast really grew on me throughout that story. I also found just about every story beat and twist very cool. The worst is the garbage in the very beginning of the game. ]
:femto: :slan: :ubik:

Offline m

• Falconian
  • Of the Interstice
« Reply #2772 on: May 03, 2018, 05:44:42 AM »
Aw man, that's terrible! Well, I certainly don't think the game is for everyone. So all I can do is really describe my experience with the game, which was phenomenal.

Now that you've played it, I think you probably know what I was talking about in my impressions, about what it does that most game stories rarely do [develop a character over a significant period of time. The 10 year gap thing blew me away, particularly with how they handled it, how awesome Yuri became, re-building your corps, and catching up on everyone from the past. The cast really grew on me throughout that story. I also found just about every story beat and twist very cool. The worst is the garbage in the very beginning of the game. ]

No worries! I’m glad I played the game anyway. I agree completely, Yuri’s development and the way they handled a fairly big cast are some of the best things about the game. Another thing I particularly liked was how the scope of the story grew and the universe “expanded”. By the end of the game I kept thinking that its title was very apt.

Offline Rhombaad

• Old Fart in Training
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
« Reply #2773 on: May 14, 2018, 04:02:00 PM »
I finished Final Fantasy II on Saturday. Man, I'm glad that's over. I appreciate the attempt at innovation with the EXP system (or lack thereof), but it just didn't work. That being said, the game was a decent amount of fun and I'm glad I gave it a shot.

I started playing Phantasy Star on Sunday. I already like it more than Final Fantasy II, but that wasn't too high of a bar to reach. It's very unique so far, and I'm really enjoying myself. I even played for about 45 minutes before going to work today. It's nice being able to save anywhere in the world, and I love the fact that I need to take notes and draw out the dungeon maps like in the good old days.

Online Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Reply #2774 on: May 28, 2018, 07:43:55 AM »
I beat Mega Man 2 yesterday afternoon. It was a lot of fun to play, but on Normal difficulty it was pretty easy after beating Ninja Gaiden. I'll probably go back some day and try to beat it on Difficult (the Japanese default), but for now I'm moving on.

You beat MM1 and Ninja Gaiden and then played MM2 on Normal Easy mode!? This is an injustice, sir! Well, a shame at least; I should have warned you but after doing 1 so easily I figured you'd default to the Japanese difficulty on 2 (it's easier anyway and you can do it in a few hours if you like; I have fond memories of afternoons and late nights of Mega Man 2 and beer =). Anyway, you may move on, but know you haven't actually played the all-time classic, Mega Man 2, yet. :carcus:

Dark Souls: Remastered is what I'm playing when I can get the baby down for a few minutes (or while she lays in my arms and I hold the controller up to cradle her =). Anyway, more like Dark Souls: Re-Ported! It seems almost identical to the DS Fix version of Dark Souls on PC, only worse depending how much your hardware could handle (it runs better for me and looks about the same for the most part). I'm not going to rage about this like some ("they're just doing this to sell it, maaaan! " like most games =), but I don't really see the point to it if you've played the original, except... for all the bitching, some people bought it because this version is full of players! Summon signs abound, the bells ringing constantly; this is very cool for someone like me that came to the original Souls late and basically never got to play in a "populated" world. Plus, it has match codes so you can play with your buds (I can't wait to convince Aaz and Wally to play with me and then immediately embarrass myself rolling off a ledge, "I'll help, HIIIYAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" =). I am rusty. For one thing I forgot the Black Knight drops were random, got the sword, but started a new character and deleted it (ugh, there's always the Drake Sword). But, it doesn't really matter because I'm well-versed and because I've already beat the game to death I'm taking full advantage of multiplayer this time. So, if you haven't played Dark Souls or want to play it again with multiplayer, Remastered may be worth it, but otherwise you might as well see how high you can run the old version with DS Fix, it'll probably look better.

I also played a lot of Fallout 4 while staying up with the baby. Great fun and very immersive atmosphere/world for exploration, but the RPG elements, character building/interaction, make even Fallout 3 look like Fallout 2.

Conversation choices really don't matter, it's basically like the same 4 responses repeated for every convo lazily assigned to the controller buttons(!): Good Yes, Reluctant No, Sarcastic Yes, Dickish No). They did an interesting, though simplfied, play on the factions from Fallout: New Vegas where everyone (BoS, Minutemen, Railroad, Institute) is sort of a mixed bag and only two survive the end game depending on your choices/actions, which also effects your npc companions (people figured out ways to spare 3 factions or all companions via loopholes, but much of that was patched out). By the same token, NV managed to do that more realistically and in more nuanced fashion. Like NCR had it's downsides and detractors by virtue of being a big expanding government that organically infringed on freedoms as it expanded lawfulness. Real civilization shit!  Whereas here for example the BoS are like the BoS, but genocidal fascists to non-humans and you can't talk them out of it... Yikes!

Basically everyone has the equivalent of an evil secret or something that makes them arbitrarily extreme. It's very manufactured good/evil drama (but watered down so you can defensibly make any choice), and it makes little sense if you think about it too much because you can't even broker peace among factions with aligning interests.

As for challenge the real time fps combat is supposedly much improved, but I wouldn't know because my dude was a totally broken VATS build with infinite regenerating action points. I could basically go toe to toe with a deathclaw and kill it via 1000 paper cuts. So... Yes, it's not hard. The fun part is playing everyone off each other as long as possible.

Anyway, I finished the game with the BoS (was very disappointed when they went all murdery after I alienated everyone else) and the Institute, which has Star Trek tech but a very unhealthy contempt for everyone else and their lives to go with it (I run two factions and made my own BoS with their armor, so I rule the wastes =). It's basically the same shitty bland ending either way "blah blah blah war never changes lol" with nothing about the fate of all the  settlements like 1, 2, and NV. I wish we were getting another Black Isle/Obsidion game like New Vegas but I don't think their relationship ended well (still grateful Bethesda did that, and Fallout 3 was a pretty decent big budget tribute to the broad strokes first two games).
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 09:24:38 PM by Griffith »