What Are You Playing?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
Yea now do you spend all your Power Nodes? Because I wanted to get into all those secret rooms that you need to use a power node for, but its tough because I hold off on upgrading and those nodes are expensive, but i don't want to miss anything. Another thing I really like is the main guy your controlling. So far I haven't even seen his face, but that armor suit really grew on me. I just think it's a really cool design for the hero.
I've opened about 4 doors, I think. There's been nothing too special in them. More ammo, from what I remember. I personally think it's more worth it to use the nodes for upgrades, but the difference could truly be negligible.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The doors can be useful. I opened them all on my first run. They're usually just full of ammo and money. Anyway, the way to be efficient in the game is to spend your nodes primarily on stasis and health augmentations. Stasis will make you into a god. Once it's maxed out you can just melee every enemy to death. As for weapons, the best one is easily the Plasma Cutter in my opinion. Very versatile. Then the Pulse Rifle and the Ripper are great. The Ripper in particular is good for saving ammo because you can do a lot of damage with only one blade. To save money and ammo you could stick to those 3 and ignore the other ones.

I say screw all the weapons and just use the Plasma Cutter. If you do you can actually receive a gold trophy for that. I didn't know that until I saw my trophies, so now I have to play through it again to get it. I think it's best to max out your Plasma Cutter for sure and also the two that Aaz mentioned. You honestly don't need all of the other weapons in the game because the Plasma Cutter is the best gun. It's best to save your money and fill up on items you need. You don't really need to fill upon ammo since monsters drop ammo almost all the time. I had that ammo problem a couple of times but I got through it. Also save up for the suits as well. The higher the suit level the more you can carry. Suit 5 lets you carry the maximum limit of items. By the way I mentioned it was scary. I also almost jumped out of my seat, mostly when the monsters just came out of nowhere and you weren't expecting it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
slan69 said:
I say screw all the weapons and just use the Plasma Cutter. If you do you can actually receive a gold trophy for that. I didn't know that until I saw my trophies, so now I have to play through it again to get it.

Well you get an achievement/trophy/whatever for beating the game in the hardest difficulty mode as well, which is only unlocked once you finish the game the first time, so if you're going for 100%, you can always do the Plasma Cutter-only run while also doing the "Impossible" mode run.

Also, while I do think the Plasma Cutter is the best weapon overall, for a first time player using only that would be pretty boring.

slan69 said:
It's best to save your money and fill up on ammo that way you won't run out. I had that problem a couple of times but I got through it. Also save up for the suits as well. The higher the suit level the more you can carry.

Personally I didn't care too much about carrying items. I don't think I ever came close to running out of inventory space once I got the second suit. That's what Resident Evil does to a man.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
handsome rakshas said:
Happy 10th anniversary Sega Dreamcast! I'll be busting out some of the classics today to celebrate.

GAMEFRONT.jpg

Goes without saying.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Finished Dead Space last night. It took me 12 hours and I didn't even come close to fully upgrading everything, though I don't think it's possible anyway, so I'll focus on that on the second playthrough. Overall very fun game, it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be at the end. I don't think I died once in the final chapter, even during the final boss (which was awesome btw). The very last scene was prolly the scariest moment for me.
My buddy and I almost hit the ceiling when he finally takes off his mask and you get to see the hero's face and then... BAM! his dead wife who he thought was alive the whole time is in the ship with him, and kills him lol. Good ending. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I also beat Dead Space last night. That final boss was, no kidding, one of the most visually awesome game bosses I've ever played against. But he couldn't stand against my fully upgraded plasma gun :badbone:

And yeah, the ending
made me laugh. It really was a horror movie/game all along!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
No kidding, during the ending when you see
Isaac in the ship
I told my wife who was working nearby to wait for it because I knew exactly what was going to happen, and of course it did. Funny but in a way, that was also a bit of a let down for me.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Weird, I just beat Dead Space last Tuesday, and that boss fight was visually impressive, but kind of a letdown otherwise. I was totally satisfied with the ending though. =)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
宮本 グリフィス said:
Weird, I just beat Dead Space last Tuesday, and that boss fight was visually impressive, but kind of a letdown otherwise. I was totally satisfied with the ending though. =)

Actually I'll agree about the boss not being extraordinary. I had also expected something that wasn't just
big
. And it wasn't very difficult either.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Yeah, it was just too easy, and aside from being so large, it wasn't the best design either... though the teases of it on the planet were fantastic, so it might have just been how they chose to show it in the final fight. I would have preferred it be more spidery, and it was over too fast. I had a better fight with the Leviathan.

Started Professor Layton and the Diabolical box. I loved The Curious Village so I'm looking forward to finishing this one. Just got a bit past the second chapter last night. It started off sort of slow, but things are starting to pick up now. I'm a little scared of the puzzles to come as some of the ones near the end of the last game were real head scratchers.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I randomly decided pick some of my older games that i never did finish while I wait for ODST to come out. I starting playing Lost Odyssey, and now I remember why I put it down. I'm right at the end and all I have to do is finish all the side quest stuff then head to the final dungeon, but its so hard. So i'll be grinding my characters for the rest of the night. :guts: Great game though, anyone else every play it or actually beat it?

Oburi said:
Great game though, anyone else every play it or actually beat it?

I beat it last year. I did all the sidequest except for going in the Temple of Enlightenment. Oburi don't go in unless your at about level 70. This place is a maze and the enemies are very hard hitting so be careful what you do in this place. My characters are all over level 70. It took me about a good 12+ to get them the levels and also giving my immortal the skills I think they needed. If you have Toltan in your party make Kaim and Seth learn his ability where they can wield his weapons. In the sidequest there is a way you can get Toltans strongest sword, you can then give it to Kaim or Seth. Also I just want to let you know that the last boss is not hard at all so you really don't even need to build up to level 70, maybe 55 or 60 IMO. I actually found the game to be quite easy, but everyone has their difficulties in games no matter how good they are.

Oburi

All praise Grail
slan69 said:
I beat it last year. I did all the sidequest except for going in the Temple of Enlightenment. Oburi don't go in unless your at about level 70. This place is a maze and the enemies are very hard hitting so be careful what you do in this place. My characters are all over level 70. It took me about a good 12+ to get them the levels and also giving my immortal the skills I think they needed. If you have Toltan in your party make Kaim and Seth learn his ability where they can wield his weapons. In the sidequest there is a way you can get Toltans strongest sword, you can then give it to Kaim or Seth. Also I just want to let you know that the last boss is not hard at all so you really don't even need to build up to level 70, maybe 55 or 60 IMO. I actually found the game to be quite easy, but everyone has their difficulties in games no matter how good they are.

Thanks. Funny you mention the Toltan sidequest because thats where I left off. I just finished finding all his seals and now have his new sword, the strongest weapon in the game, an like you said, I gave it to Kaim. My guys are around level 55-60, and the reason I'm holding out before heading to the final boss is because I want to do the Temple of Enlightenment as well as all the hidden bosses. Thats why I gave up on the game so long ago, the Temple confused me and just kicked me ass.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I played the demo of Lost Odyssey and the combat system was a real turn off to me. It just seemed WAAAY too chaotic, with everything happening on screen so quickly. It also felt like i had very little control over what actually occured in battle.

Does that feeling go away?

Walter said:
I played the demo of Lost Odyssey and the combat system was a real turn off to me. It just seemed WAAAY too chaotic, with everything happening on screen so quickly. It also felt like i had very little control over what actually occured in battle.

On your first play you might not like the battle system, but eventually you will get used to it. I always get perfects when I fight. What I use to do was count to about 3 seconds really fast until the circle was just about matched up with the smaller one. That usually got me perfects. It really only takes a little while to get used to it.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:

I'm surprised you felt that way to be honest. It's a very typical turn based rpg, nothing all that new. These days with the Tales OF Vesperia and Star Ocean- last hope and Infinite Undiscovery, Lost Odyssey is so not chaotic and very simple. That was the big criticism when it came out, that the fighting system was generic. Personally that's how I like it. Its how my rpgs were as a kid, and its how I'll continue to enjoy them now. Lost Odyssey has some very tricky battles and boss fights, but its not like you have a time limit during battle, unlike the other rpgs that I mentioned, also including Eternal Sontata, that all have real time fighting.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Ohh, ahahha, forgive me. I confused this game with The Last Remnant. A completely different RPG that, in my opinion, looks similar to Lost Odyssey.

Here's a video of that game's combat system to show you what I meant by "chaotic" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O70HzNeKNOU

I don't play that much anymore but I'm playing The Beatles Rock Band. I like the Beatles and I like the Guitar Hero/Rock Band games, perfect combination.

Oburi

All praise Grail
m said:
I don't play that much anymore but I'm playing The Beatles Rock Band. I like the Beatles and I like the Guitar Hero/Rock Band games, perfect combination.

O hell yea that looked great. If you love the Beatles then this is like the coolest thing. I havent played it yet, I don't have money to go out and buy it, but I would seriously kill to get it.

Ko Ninja

¯\(O_o)/¯ クー
I'm slaving over Muramasa (damn, I really love Vanillaware) while playing Raiden IV on the side. Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box on breaks at work. I might finish off Cursed Mountain this weekend to boot.

Top Bottom