What Are You Playing?

I'm also playing Red Dead Redemption. It is entertaining so far, but it plays too much like an old GTA game, which makes me figure I'll tire of it before long. Rockstar games get great reviews, but I'm not impressed with their repetitive format.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
pippin22 said:
I'm also playing Red Dead Redemption. It is entertaining so far, but it plays too much like an old GTA game, which makes me figure I'll tire of it before long. Rockstar games get great reviews, but I'm not impressed with their repetitive format.

I finished the game last week after playing for ~25 hours. Overall I think the game deserves the reviews it received. It's true the format felt repetitive at times (too reminiscent of GTA IV and not necessarily appropriate), and I think they could have implemented some better transitions between various parts ot the story, but in the end I enjoyed John Marston's life and related to it a lot more than that of any of their previous protagonists.

And I can't think of many developers who are as good at storytelling in general.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I got a chance to spend a few hours with Red Dead Redemption and really enjoyed it, basically for how it brought it's western motif to life. But, if you've played all the GTAs and then these, I can see why you'd be tired of the format (hell, I still spent the majority of my time playing getting into police chases =), and was most disappointed to see that water still kills you. Really, Rockstar, like a dozen games later? Somehow this offends me more in the old west, where my horse shouldn't sink to the bottom like a, well, car, and I should be able to make daring escapes across large shallow rivers in order to escape the authorities. :badbone:

Oh yeah, also played a lot of Tiger Wood '10 this weekend, where I discovered I'm a natural at the putting feature. Also, all the screens of Tiger where he's celebrating like he's cumming in his pants are now unintentional comedy gold (I'm not kidding). I bet they fixed that for the new game.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
グリフィス said:
But, if you've played all the GTAs and then these, I can see why you'd be tired of the format and was most disappointed to see that water still kills you.

Agree with both points. I've never been a fan of GTA, so having barely played any of those games, I have to say I'm loving RDR.

Currently playing Alpha Protocol. Despite all of the bad press, I think the game is excellent, and there is nowhere near the amount of bugs as Obsidian's other titles, in fact, it's their most complete game yet! Great writing throughout too. Recommended for those of you into WRPGs.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Henry Spencer said:
Currently playing Alpha Protocol. Despite all of the bad press, I think the game is excellent, and there is nowhere near the amount of bugs as Obsidian's other titles, in fact, it's their most complete game yet! Great writing throughout too. Recommended for those of you into WRPGs.
Played Mass Effect?

Proj2501 said:
Has anyone seen the E3 trailer for XCOM? Looks interesting.

The art style is pretty cool, I'm waiting for more info since all we got so far was a montage of crazy Bioshock weapons.

I'm hoping to see more of Itagaki's new game and Enslaved, I think they look promising.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Everyone keeps comparing xcom to BioShock just because 2K is developing it. But that's erroneus. Irrational Games developed Bioshock. They're known as 2K Boston. Xcom is being made by a different studio, 2K Marin.

Walter said:
Everyone keeps comparing xcom to BioShock just because 2K is developing it. But that's erroneus. Irrational Games developed Bioshock. They're known as 2K Boston. Xcom is being made by a different studio, 2K Marin.

I do see some resemblance. The weapons, the overall look of the game has a Bioshock feel to it. Sure, it's not underwater and the character models are pretty different, but there's some Bioshock in it!

And not that it matters, but 2K Marin made Bioshock 2.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Bought Alan Wake today and finished the first of six "episodes". It's pretty neat, like more tame version of Silent Hill, only you can tell the writers of the story were fans of Steven King and Twilight Zone type stuff (they even make references to both by name and many more). Good graphics and atmosphere though, but it seems pretty simple and easy so far, and the story is very predictable despite being overly mysterious. I just hope it doesn't turn out the way I think it is :serpico:

After noticing Dead Space on the Digitally Distributed PC Games for Sale thread on sale via Steam for $10, I'm downloading it /right now/.

Anyone else played it? I know absolutely nothing about it, except that it takes place in space, and there's... dead thing. In space. Dead space.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Bekul said:
Anyone else played it? I know absolutely nothing about it, except that it takes place in space, and there's... dead thing. In space. Dead space.

It's a great "survival horror" game. Brings nothing new to the genre, but has a nearly flawless execution.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Get it. Gameplay wise, Dead Space is a lesser carbon copy of Resident Evil 4. However, unlike that game, DS has amazing, memorable atmosphere throughout.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Just beat FFXIII. It was an ok game. Too linear and not much interaction with towns or more characters beyond your party. It looked nice and all, but nothing so memorable.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I just picked that up again, I'm on chapter 11 right now, the game really seemed to open up at this point. Your about the towns and people for sure, but as far as the world goes, I must say at thise point in chapter 11 I'm in awe. I'm having a lot of fun doing these little missions.

HeavyWeather

Heavy Rainfall Activated
Fallout 3. I have no idea what direction I want to go with my character, so I'll probably start over from the beginning sometime. I didn't get too far anyway.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Bit Trip Runner for Wiiware...I love how the notes change when you jump. It can get pretty tricky sometimes...requires patience, memory and timing, all staples of good platforming.

I'm playing Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge Special Edition that just came out.

It's much better than the first game's Special Edition, since now you can keep the voices on the old school graphics, and man, the developer commentary is awesome. It's Dave Grossman, Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert together remembering the old times, and they're still funny & cool.

2d8krxe.jpg

I playing through Fable 2 again. I only did one play through since I bought it a few years back. I haven't played the expansion packs yet. The game is thankfully fresh to me.

I started to play Resident Evil: Outbreak 2, but its now on the back burner. I think I'll try to gut FF: Dissida out after Fable 2.

Top Bottom