What Are You Playing?

I finished Planescape and enjoyed the hell out of it. Not uninstalling anytime soon!

I was gonna play Mass Effect 2 with all of the DLC but my piece of shit graphics card is giving me an allergy when it gets hot for some reason, my face melts and liquids come out of my nose and eyes.

So I'm gonna postpone that and play Mother 3 again since I just played Earthbound in June.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Eluvei said:
I finished Planescape and enjoyed the hell out of it. Not uninstalling anytime soon!
That was quick! I'm only about 10 hours in myself. Loving it. But, man there's a lot of dialogue in this game... And while most of it is amazing, it gets tiresome quick for me when it's just some damned NPC with no connection to the main story.

Walter said:
That was quick! I'm only about 10 hours in myself. Loving it. But, man there's a lot of dialogue in this game... And while most of it is amazing, it gets tiresome quick for me when it's just some damned NPC with no connection to the main story.

Yeah, I hear ya. If you're sick of them about 10 hours in, get ready to murder some motherfuckers because they won't stop talking. But I didn't finish most of the sidequests, mainly because I had to rely way too much on tattoos to get good dialogue options; I messed up my charisma and intelligence at the character creation and it was pretty irreversible. That kinda destroyed my game a little, so I just rushed when I was about halfway through.

But yeah, some characters are pretty awesome, even some that aren't connected directly to the main plot, like on the Smoldering Corpse Bar
that "O" guy. If you don't disrespect him, he says some awesome life stuff.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Tales of Vesperia! : D It's hitting my JRPG spot something fierce. Love a good tales game.

Also been dabbling in Valkyria chronicles 2.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
For everyone who dreamed of building castles made of LEGOs as a child, buy Minecraft.

Seriously, it's pretty damned fun. No other game in recent memory has given me such a portal back to childhood wonderment. There's a rawness and excitement around every corner in this game. What I'm going to do is write a basic, stream of consciousness review of my first few hours of Minecraft. It'll give you the basics of what to expect from it.

[quote author=My First Few Hours In Minecraft]
I land in the world near a beach. I take a quick look around me and see that the procedurally generated world has some verticality, but is mostly flat with hills and some visible caverns and a nearby lake/ocean. This is good, as I've seen worlds where you start out on a floating island. It should be noted that the world will continue to expand as far as you walk. I approach the first tree I see and begin punching it with my fists. Eventually, one of the wood blocks breaks off and I collect it.

Everything in Minecraft is composed of blocks, which are formed from various materials you can collect (wood, stone, sand, clay, gold, iron, diamond, etc.) I collect about 10 more wood blocks before going to my inventory, turning the wood blocks into wooden planks, and crafting a workbench (2x2 wood plank blocks). With a workbench I can craft a pickaxe, axe, and shovel out of the remaining wood planks. These are the basic tools in Minecraft for manipulating the environment.

Armed with a wooden axe, my woodcutting is faster, and armed with a wooden pickaxe, I can begin hollowing out a nearby stone cave to fashion a home for when night falls. My home starts simple. It’s just a square, symmetrical room with an opening at the front. I craft a door so the spiders, zombies and skeletons roaming at nighttime don’t feel too welcome. As I see the sun fall on the horizon, I see I have about 1 minute to kill some roaming cows for furs to craft equipment during the night. I manage to get 10 furs, just enough for a helmet or some pants. I also spend this time gathering more wood so I can smelt rock into stone, which I'll use to expand my home, and make it nice and purdy.

<Fast Forward about 1-2 hours>

With my home relatively well outfitted, I find myself splitting my day time deep down in a nearby mineshaft Ive made, and my night time safe at home above ground, crafting and smelting the rare ore I can only find deep underground. But there's got to be a more efficient way to do this. Why can't I mine at night too? Oh yeah, zombies... So once night passes, I go outside my house and try to eyeball the distance to the mineshaft from my home. I go back inside and start mining from the inside of my home toward where I think the mineshaft is. Then I mine a little too far and come face to face with a skeleton. I had no idea it was already night. Shit. The little asshole hops his way into MY HOME, firing arrows at me. With just two pieces of equipment, and no sword crafted yet, I don't last long. I die in my house, dropping all my loot on top of my corpse.

I wake up minutes later on the beach. I have just a few more minutes before my dropped equipment disappears forever... MY PRECIOUS DIAMOND PICKAXE!!!! NOOOOO! So I rush inside, where the skeleton still is, grab some wood, turn a corner, craft a workbench, and make a sword pronto. With a sword, I do about 2x damage, making short work of him.

I’ve come to realize that there might be times in the game when I don’t know where my house is. So I go a few yards into my front lawn and start piling up stone bricks in a massive column. I eventually go into the clouds and can see for several “miles.” I then jump down to my death, re-spawn, and see a giant tower going up into the clouds. That’s my front lawn ornament. Now I know where to go.
[/quote]

Aphasia

So....You like the game, right? :slan:

I plan on buying it tonight. I love indie developers and I love supporting good games. But I'm afraid to read your mini review because I want my experience to be new, complete with dumb mistakes and all.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aphasia said:
So....You like the game, right? :slan:
Yeah, I'm surprised how much I like it to be honest. I bought it Saturday and I've already played it about 15 hours.

I was surprised how good a game it was, because previously, I'd just read so much about people building big crazy things in the game, and that doesn't particularly appeal to me. Building a "scale replica of the Starship Enterprise" ? No thanks... What interests me is the adventure you make for yourself in the world, and how there's always something new around the corner, the further you dig.

That part of the game could use some better promotion, because it seems people think this is "just" a game about building wacky things out of blocks. The only thing I've really built like that is my giant crystal sword that stretches to the clouds on top of my castle/home. :guts:

Eluvei said:
You all should download the Amnesia demo that just came out: http://store.steampowered.com/app/57300/

It's EXTREME! I'm preordering it!

Late reply.
I'm actually surprised there's no dedicated thread for this game. I'm not really big on the horror genre and I don't play games very often. But this definitely stood out for me. It looks very atmospheric. I have no doubt that at times it'll really get your heart beating.
Water Horror
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5uoZh_uatQ
First play through of this game is bound to be quite the experience.
Unfortunately I can't try out the demo since my laptop is a real pos. :sad:

Aphasia

Ramen4ever said:
Late reply.
I'm actually surprised there's no dedicated thread for this game. I'm not really big on the horror genre and I don't play games very often. But this definitely stood out for me. It looks very atmospheric. I have no doubt that at times it'll really get your heart beating.

Looks like I'll be buying two games tonight. : D I'd almost forgotten about Amnesia. Really nut-clenching stuff. It looks as though it's replacing a lot of the "BOO ZOMBIE AHHRRGHRARARAR HEADSHOT BLOOD" kind of scary with a physiological freakiness. I haven't even seen any enemies in any of the trailers. I also heard you can go crazy, which is badass.

The whole mystery element is what scares me. The unknown. Signs scared me more than any movie I've watched to date, just because it fucked with my imagination constantly.

Aphasia said:
Looks like I'll be buying two games tonight. : D I'd almost forgotten about Amnesia. Really nut-clenching stuff. It looks as though it's replacing a lot of the "BOO ZOMBIE AHHRRGHRARARAR HEADSHOT BLOOD" kind of scary with a physiological freakiness. I haven't even seen any enemies in any of the trailers. I also heard you can go crazy, which is badass.

The whole mystery element is what scares me. The unknown. Signs scared me more than any movie I've watched to date, just because it fucked with my imagination constantly.

Same developers as the Penumbra series.
I've heard one person say it's not quite as good as Penumbra. But I've also heard another person say that they have to take breaks because it's freaking them the fuck out.
I suppose the latter is a good sign.

p.s. ( I think you mean Psychological, physiological freakiness = mutants and strange looking creatures, no? But yes, this game has a strong psychological element. Like you have to be conscious about light sources, as your player gets more insane and paranoid the longer he's in the dark.)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I played the demo of Amnesia, and wasn't too impressed with the actual game part of it. Props to the developers, who are composed of a very small team, for bringing thsi game out and it getting some good reception. But... The atmosphere is cool enough, but what it requires you to actually DO in the game isn't very involving or even fun. I can't imagine myself playing it for more than 20 minutes or so.

About the guy going insane, functionally what happens is your guy will cower in a corner for a while, fighting the controls and mouse view. To fix it you have to get somewhere well lit, or stop looking at scary shit like flesh pouring inexplicably out of a hole in the wall.

The much-heralded "Water monster" level was almost comical to me. It moves slowly, is easy to dodge, and is dumb as bricks. It wasn't so much scary as it was annoying that I had to
jump across floating things in the water to get around it.

Walter said:
I played the demo of Amnesia, and wasn't too impressed with the actual game part of it. Props to the developers, who are composed of a very small team, for bringing thsi game out and it getting some good reception. But... The atmosphere is cool enough, but what it requires you to actually DO in the game isn't very involving or even fun. I can't imagine myself playing it for more than 20 minutes or so.

About the guy going insane, functionally what happens is your guy will cower in a corner for a while, fighting the controls and mouse view. To fix it you have to get somewhere well lit, or stop looking at scary shit like flesh pouring inexplicably out of a hole in the wall.

The much-heralded "Water monster" level was almost comical to me. It moves slowly, is easy to dodge, and is dumb as bricks. It wasn't so much scary as it was annoying that I had to
jump across floating things in the water to get around it.
What would you rate the game out of 10?

Is it worth playing? or just try the demo? Is the storyline at least interesting?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I've only played the demo. But let me put it this way, I didn't end up buying the full game. Was it neat? Yes. Would I pay $20 for it? No.

Aphasia

Oh! Nifty. Didn't know there was a demo. I'll have to grab it before I throw down some dong.

I'm taking your word on Minecraft, though. I have several friends who are into it too though, So I'm certain it will be a good purchase.
Ramen4ever said:
p.s. ( I think you mean Psychological, physiological freakiness = mutants and strange looking creatures, no? But yes, this game has a strong psychological element. Like you have to be conscious about light sources, as your player gets more insane and paranoid the longer he's in the dark.)

Hah, whoops! That's what I get for trying to use big words.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
minecraft1.jpg

My humble abode.

minecraft2.jpg

Now that I've discovered how to make glass/crystal, I'm going to fashion my entrance way after that Paladin room in FFIV on Mt. Ordeals :griffnotevil:

Oburi said:
Wow nobody is talking about Reach? Well, it's amazing. Simply amazing.

Haha. Bro, I can get down with your comment about not being blown away by Red Dead. In fact, I played it for maybe 8-10 hours and decided to sell it. But Reach? Really? That game blew you away? I picked up Borderlands out of sheer boredom and so far I've put more time into that than Reach. Matter of taste I guess. Halo's old and needs to go away and die. Something tells me, on an FPS note, that Black Ops is going to be another over hyped let down as well.

Reach is a lot of fun and arguably one of the best fps multi-player experiences on consoles. It honestly deserves most of the praise it gets. Sure, it may not be the most cerebral experience, but it's great for what it is.

Aphasia

I love my Reach. I think it's a fantastic game, been playing it quite a bit and still do with a lot of my Halo buds. The only complaint I have is a lack of MP maps. I love the new gametypes, Invasion and Headhunter. It's so tense when you have 10 skulls. You know everyone on the map is hungry for blood, ready to destroy your hopes of a Skullamanjaro. I've gotten one so far. I didn't even realize I had 10 skulls until I got it.

Pretty sweet castle Walter! Isn't the front just open though? Is there a door? It looks like monsters can just walk in your house! : O Scary! Maybe you need a moat.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I got bored with Reach not too long ago, but I realized that I had only played it on co-op and decided I'd give single player campaign a shot on the heroic difficulty. This is the way Reach is meant to be played, it can get very challenging, and all my complaints about graphics and such were basically caused by the split screen. Reach is a fun and impressive fps, no doubt.

ANd don't worry proj, I'm pretty sure Halo is going to go away and die now.

As for Black OPs, I'm not interested. I'm a little CoD'yd out. I could still play MW2 and have fun with the multiplayer, shit MW 1 for that matter. They are killing this franchise with too many games. Though I'm sure it will be a hit anyway.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aphasia said:
Pretty sweet castle Walter! Isn't the front just open though? Is there a door? It looks like monsters can just walk in your house! : O Scary! Maybe you need a moat.
There's a door, I just left it open in this screenshot so you could see inside a little. Ive actually built a much more impressive base elsewhere in the world, now that I have more resources at my disposal than before.

I stopped playing Castlevania Lords of Shadow, I am now playing Final Fantasy V. :serpico: I just couldn't play the new so called Castlevania game till the end, yeah it was that bad (IMO) and it had quite a few glitches. By the way for those of you who play Red Dead Redemption like me take a look at the new DLC that's coming out soon. Looks pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep0ZLhbKnms

Top Bottom