What Are You Playing?

I was so hyped for MGS4...and well, yeah, biggest disappointment ever (like you said, the gameplay was non-existant, the story shitty and far too many retcons to keep up with). I also didn't like how easy the gameplay was, either. Octacamo basically is a "win" device, the bosses are lame (shoot to win), am not a fan of the fact that you get 100+ weapons pretty much into Act 2 if you know what you're doing, too many health pick ups scattered everywhere. The game is just far too easy, even on extreme. I used to like Kojima too, now he can't seem to write a good story to save his life (Peace Walker is better than MGS4, but that's only because it contains less than a quarter of cutscenes and to be quite frank, the story that is there is pretty average). I hated MGS4.
Here's hoping Kojima makes a new IP instead of MGS5.

Playing through God Hand again. Waiting on Deadly Premonition arriving (pre-ordered for £16!) I'm excited! :carcus:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
I think they're making up for it with Rising.
Rising looks fun, but also extremely gimmicky. I don't think that alone will carry on the series' legacy (of shit).

In my opinion when it comes to MGS, 2 out of 4 ain't bad! I enjoyed MGS back in the day and have very, very fond memories of MGS3.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
Rising looks fun, but also extremely gimmicky. I don't think that alone will carry on the series' legacy (of shit).

Actually, I think that's exactly the legacy it's going to carry on, I just don't know how that applies to Johnstantine's statement that it's going to make up for anything.

Walter said:
In my opinion when it comes to MGS, 2 out of 4 ain't bad! I enjoyed MGS back in the day and have very, very fond memories of MGS3.

Yeah, and as you know, I even appreciate the MGS2 experience for what it is (ambitious, innovative, and challenging, in more ways than one =).

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
Actually, I think that's exactly the legacy it's going to carry on, I just don't know how that applies to Johnstantine's statement that it's going to make up for anything.

I should have been more clear. Rising is supposedly going to have more gameplay, as opposed to the 8+ hours of cutscenes that MGS4 had.

Griffith

Johnstantine said:
I should have been more clear. Rising is supposedly going to have more gameplay, as opposed to the 8+ hours of cutscenes that MGS4 had.

Ah, well it does look like it'd be fun for a while.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Griffith said:
Mr. Kojima, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Heh... Billy Madison FTW. Yeah, the game itself fell short in a lot of things. However, I did liked the return to
Shadow Moses
mission. Nostalgic I guess.

Apparently they call rising a worthy prequel of sorts.

Other than myself...has anyone returned to the nuclear wastlelands recently?

I picking up Fable 3 tonight!

Outside of the bosses (which I found painfully tedious and tacked on), I loved MGS4. Sure, it was 10 hours of cutscenes and 5 hours of gameplay, but it was mostly pure fan-service and I'm cool with that. Also, even with the retcons it still tied everything up.

I want Fallout: New Vegas but it seems foolish to put any money towards games right now what with all the Christmas sales just around the corner. I'm biting my lip and waiting.

That said, I'm finally playing Starcraft 2 (replayed the original. It took me a long time to finish Brood War. I love how the Zerg missions end up way longer than the other two factions combined). I'm having a lot of fun with it. I'm also still working on Castlevania: Lord of Shadows. I don't care that much for the God of War style combat, but so far I'm enjoying the game.

Griffith

Nomad said:
Heh... Billy Madison FTW. Yeah, the game itself fell short in a lot of things. However, I did liked the return to
Shadow Moses
mission. Nostalgic I guess.

I enjoyed that as well. They might as well have wrapped it up there too, because that segment overshadowed the rest of the game and the actual "climax" completely. That act, it's boss fight, followed directly by the final fist fight (the only thing decent about that last act) would have sufficed at least. Oh, but wait, speaking of nostalgia, they had to touch on fan-favorite MGS2 instead, perfect!

CowTip said:
Outside of the bosses (which I found painfully tedious and tacked on), I loved MGS4. Sure, it was 10 hours of cutscenes and 5 hours of gameplay, but it was mostly pure fan-service and I'm cool with that. Also, even with the retcons it still tied everything up.

Yeah, but unfortunately it tied everything up to torture and rape it in front of a captive audience, if you want to call that a service. It wasn't even good fan service, but more like a clip show of cannibalized scenes, dialogue, and themes (many not even done for nostalgic purposes, but like they forgot, I'm looking at you and your exact same character development, Otacon). Everything was rehashed ad nausea without even a new creative wrinkle. So, don't give me the Dwarfkicker excuse, because that can be used to justify anything, in this case that Kojima seemingly had nothing new to say from a thematic or gameplay standpoint, which is disappointing. This was the Lost season 6 or Revenge of the Sith of video games; and one could just as well make the same silly, and not even accurate, excuses for them as well. Fan service + tied it up + ignorance of general terribleness = I'm lovin' it! It's a good comparison, because MGS4 was no better at doing those things either, only as desperate in its attempts to go out with some kind of overproduced bang instead of a what turned out to be a rambling, repetitive, run-on whimper. Something I know a little bit about. =)

"This is good... Isn't it?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1npdZnzP9yo

Oburi

All praise Grail
Picked up Fable 3 today, so far so good. I traded in Castlevania Lords of Shadow to get it since i had beaten that, and I pretty much agree with everything Aaz said about it, though I probably had more fun with the game.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Oburi said:
Picked up Fable 3 today, so far so good. I traded in Castlevania Lords of Shadow to get it since i had beaten that, and I pretty much agree with everything Aaz said about it, though I probably had more fun with the game.

How far are you? I'm reluctant to pick this up. I never got 2 but I want to give 3 a chance. Is it worth grabbing at full price?

Oburi

All praise Grail
Aphasia said:
How far are you? I'm reluctant to pick this up. I never got 2 but I want to give 3 a chance. Is it worth grabbing at full price?

I'm not that far, just about 5 hours in. I think it's great, very similar to Fable 2 only all the annoying aspects have been improved on. It's not exactly a hard game either, just time consuming if you want to get EVERYTHING like I do. It's almost like a kids game (despite being M rated), just simple, fun and addicting. I bought it at full price and don't regret it one bit. :guts:

As far as the story goes your basically starting a rebellion, and it really feels like it because you have to travel to all different towns and recruit people and build up enough to start a revolution. Of course it has the Good/Evil aspect too so you get a lot of choices. One thing in particular that I like is there are literally no menus. Instead, when you hit start you are instantly transported to a room where you have different sections that would serve as different tabs in a menu. For example, there is a room for your weapons, clothing etc. It's cool because your never going through inventory menus or anything it's just constant gameplay.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I know I initially gave Amnesia: The Dark Descent a negative review, but that was because the demo was a confusing mish-mash of scenes from the full game. I bought the game on sale and played about 4 hours of it tonight. AMAZING.

Walter said:
I know I initially gave Amnesia: The Dark Descent a negative review, but that was because the demo was a confusing mish-mash of scenes from the full game. I bought the game on sale and played about 4 hours of it tonight. AMAZING.

What changed your mind? If you can say without giving spoilers... that is.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I just finished Assassin's Creed II. It was alright some improvements from the last one, good enough to have something to play, but not seeing replay value.

Ramen4ever said:
What changed your mind? If you can say without giving spoilers... that is.

I'm gonna go on a guess here, but Walter kinda for me pointed out that the demo wasn't making much sense with all those scenes from the full game. when put in order when playing the actual game it turned out great.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Walter said:
Gonna start playing this tomorrow once the sun goes down. :badbone:

Th3Branded0ne said:
I'm gonna go on a guess here, but Walter kinda for me pointed out that the demo wasn't making much sense with all those scenes from the full game. when put in order when playing the actual game it turned out great.

Yes, thanks Captain Obvious! :schierke:

I wasn't asking about the order of events. I was trying to find out if the content in the full game really made that much of a difference that Walter would now call it "amazing". And what aspects of the full game really excelled. Ambiance? Story? Scare factor? etc

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
I'm about half way with Fable 3, and so far I enjoy it better than the 2nd one. At least a lot of the gameplay was improved. The story is nothing out of this world. And honesty, I find the only one that caught my interest as far as the story goes was the 1st one. Overall, it's fun and if you are a fan of British comedy.... This one's a winner.

Made the mistake in playing Force Unleashed 2... Now talk about a waste of time. Flat story, less repetitive as it's predecessor. Shortest game I ever played, and frankly what disappoints me the most is that for a game that sold 7 million copies, there's no reason why they would really lack in production. Overall, if you guys are curious... rent it.

Just spent a beautiful summer afternoon in this tropical country playing some Violent Storm for MAME. I took some pictures!

eDIxL.jpg
that kneeling man had a grenade blown up in his face, that's why he looks terrible

TrfJn.jpg
cool city background (my girlfriend is kidnapped behind the punk clown)

yLB9V.jpg
I've seen this powered exoskeleton before!

0GZXO.gif
an extremely handsome man (I lost 50 credits trying to take pictures to make a gif)

That's all!

Top Bottom