What Are You Playing?

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Oburi said:
I'm not that far, just about 5 hours in. I think it's great, very similar to Fable 2 only all the annoying aspects have been improved on. It's not exactly a hard game either, just time consuming if you want to get EVERYTHING like I do. It's almost like a kids game (despite being M rated), just simple, fun and addicting. I bought it at full price and don't regret it one bit. :guts:

As far as the story goes your basically starting a rebellion, and it really feels like it because you have to travel to all different towns and recruit people and build up enough to start a revolution. Of course it has the Good/Evil aspect too so you get a lot of choices. One thing in particular that I like is there are literally no menus. Instead, when you hit start you are instantly transported to a room where you have different sections that would serve as different tabs in a menu. For example, there is a room for your weapons, clothing etc. It's cool because your never going through inventory menus or anything it's just constant gameplay.

Awesome! I think people expect too much from fable sometimes. If there weren't so many bogus promises made by Peter people wouldn't be so disappointed in the result. I'm glad that you call it a kids game. That's what I liked so much about the first one. It was all very whimsical and light-hearted fun for the most part. Your words have given me faith. Probably grab it sometime. Thanks!

Walter said:
I know I initially gave Amnesia: The Dark Descent a negative review, but that was because the demo was a confusing mish-mash of scenes from the full game. I bought the game on sale and played about 4 hours of it tonight. AMAZING.

This makes me very happy. I still haven't gotten around to playing it, or the demo. I was so sad when you said you couldn't imagine playing it very long! I wonder why they would structure a demo like that. Putting this one on my list of must plays.

Eluvei, those are some sick pictures. :guts: haha. I love the nutty character design. I just googled it and found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHU_moZrLtM

Reminds me a lot of FoTNS.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Nomad said:
I'm about half way with Fable 3, and so far I enjoy it better than the 2nd one. At least a lot of the gameplay was improved. The story is nothing out of this world. And honesty, I find the only one that caught my interest as far as the story goes was the 1st one. Overall, it's fun and if you are a fan of British comedy.... This one's a winner.

Made the mistake in playing Force Unleashed 2... Now talk about a waste of time. Flat story, less repetitive as it's predecessor. Shortest game I ever played, and frankly what disappoints me the most is that for a game that sold 7 million copies, there's no reason why they would really lack in production. Overall, if you guys are curious... rent it.

I agree with you one Fable, and yea, Force Unleashed 2 is getting some really negative reviews. I have a friend who was really looking forward to it, can't wait to rub that in his face. The trailer alone was retarted, seeing Darth Vader smashing through like 10 doors from a force push? Yea okaaay.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Aphasia said:
Awesome! I think people expect too much from fable sometimes. If there weren't so many bogus promises made by Peter people wouldn't be so disappointed in the result. I'm glad that you call it a kids game. That's what I liked so much about the first one. It was all very whimsical and light-hearted fun for the most part. Your words have given me faith. Probably grab it sometime. Thanks!

The first Fable was much better than the second one as far as I'm concerned. I can't blame people for expecting better out of Fable 2, regardless of Molyneux' ridiculous promises.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Aazealh said:
The first Fable was much better than the second one as far as I'm concerned. I can't blame people for expecting better out of Fable 2, regardless of Molyneux' ridiculous promises.
Agreed. I'm still a bit bitter about how the story has gone since the first Fable. There's just nothing to take in "deep" as far as the whole game is concerned. It's almost as if the game itself is suffering from a severe identity crisis. A quarter RPG, another quarter Action / Adventure and so on. It's still fun to play, but falls short if you're looking for something more.

Eluvei said:
Just spent a beautiful summer afternoon in this tropical country playing some Violent Storm for MAME. I took some pictures!

http://imgur.com/eDIxL.jpg that kneeling man had a grenade blown up in his face, that's why he looks terrible

http://imgur.com/TrfJn.jpg cool city background (my girlfriend is kidnapped behind the punk clown)

http://imgur.com/yLB9V.jpg I've seen this powered exoskeleton before!

http://imgur.com/0GZXO.gif an extremely handsome man (I lost 50 credits trying to take pictures to make a gif)

That's all!

That's my favourite 2D beat 'em up! It's pretty much the predecessor to God Hand (parodying beat 'em up games) and it was Konami's final beat 'em up they developed! Talk about going out with a bang. I'd totally buy it if they brought it to Xbox Live/PSN/Wii in some sort of collection.

Henry Spencer said:
That's my favourite 2D beat 'em up! It's pretty much the predecessor to God Hand (parodying beat 'em up games) and it was Konami's final beat 'em up they developed! Talk about going out with a bang. I'd totally buy it if they brought it to Xbox Live/PSN/Wii in some sort of collection.

It did remind me of God Hand. Not as crazy, but it's got the same spirit. Definitely one of the best beat 'em ups I ever played, too. I've been playing lots of them on MAME.

Been playing Fist of the north star kens rage for ps3....and I love it! It's kinda like what if koie made a streets of rage game. It is two players co-op split screen wish it had online co-op since I do not have anyone to play with =(.

I think it does a pretty good job in how it explains the story through some movies and narrations.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
FF14... yea yea yea I know. I figure if SE get's their heads out of their asses and put in big updates then i will be ahead of the game. if they dont and the game bombs and servers shutdown, then i will have been a part of history! :iva:

I got my oldest kiddo playing Plants vs Zombies. He is surprisingly good at it.

Waiting for Star Wars: Old Republic.... oh man.... too many games, not enough time! :sad:

I've managed to force myself to level 20 blacksmith and 20 marauder in FF14 (playing alone the game is tedious at best, I can at least do leves with my wife which makes it a bit more fun). The game had some real potential, but rushing it out the door like this was such a huge mistake. I have faith they can make it better, but fighting the bad press at this point is going to be an uphill battle that I don't think they can win.

I think it's pretty hilarious that the game is more of a grind so far than FF11 and that was about as grindy as you can get. At least FF11 has a ton to do.

Finished Castlevania: Lord of Shadows. I didn't expect that ending at all. Not sure what I think of it from a sequel perspective. I'm holding out for the DLC that's supposedly going to answer some questions. Going to finish up Reach while I wait for Demon's souls, Professor Layton and the Unwound Future and Final Fantasy: Four Heroes of Light to get to me. Yay for Amazon buy 2 get 1 free sale and 1 year free Prime for students. I got all 3 of those games for $60 no tax.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
CowTip said:
I've managed to force myself to level 20 blacksmith and 20 marauder in FF14 (playing alone the game is tedious at best, I can at least do leves with my wife which makes it a bit more fun). The game had some real potential, but rushing it out the door like this was such a huge mistake. I have faith they can make it better, but fighting the bad press at this point is going to be an uphill battle that I don't think they can win.

I think it's pretty hilarious that the game is more of a grind so far than FF11 and that was about as grindy as you can get. At least FF11 has a ton to do.

Finished Castlevania: Lord of Shadows. I didn't expect that ending at all. Not sure what I think of it from a sequel perspective. I'm holding out for the DLC that's supposedly going to answer some questions. Going to finish up Reach while I wait for Demon's souls, Professor Layton and the Unwound Future and Final Fantasy: Four Heroes of Light to get to me. Yay for Amazon buy 2 get 1 free sale and 1 year free Prime for students. I got all 3 of those games for $60 no tax.

I got my archer to 16 and have Carpenter and BS to 15. I like the crafting in the game... it reminds me of SWG. Also I have been playing still L4D2. Been playing on the ZombieCC servers... great servers with some awesome mods on it. Come play if you dare! THE PAIN CHARGE IS COMING! WOOOOWOOOOOOO.....ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Crafting is pretty fun, until you get past level 20 and realize that you literally have to make 100-150 synths per level. Just to go from level 49 to 50 would literally take 1000 synths at current rates. That's not cool.

Aphasia

Aazealh said:

Yeah, I would certainly agree with you on that.

Also, Super Freakin' Meat Boy. I love it. You should all play it. One of the hardest games I've ever played, too. Damn.

Bought minecraft. Fun stuff! I'm building my very own treehouse. Once I had a decent home I went mining underground, and got the shit scared out of me. I mean dang, who thought like 10 polygons could make you piss your pants. I was just going at it, when I heard all these scary noises, like a deep howling. Then a creeper fell from out of nowhere and exploded right in front of me. I was not pleased.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aphasia said:
Also, Super Freakin' Meat Boy. I love it. You should all play it. One of the hardest games I've ever played, too. Damn.
Yeah I've been looking forward to the PC release since I saw the GiantBomb.com guys do a Quick Look feature on it: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-super-meat-boy/17-3387/

Bought minecraft. Fun stuff! I'm building my very own treehouse. Once I had a decent home I went mining underground, and got the shit scared out of me. I mean dang, who thought like 10 polygons could make you piss your pants. I was just going at it, when I heard all these scary noises, like a deep howling. Then a creeper fell from out of nowhere and exploded right in front of me. I was not pleased.
Minecraft scares me like no other game ever has. The SSSSSSSSSSSS of a Creeper, or that terrible sound giant spiders make, when you're not expecting it will scare the piss out of you.

Then there's the panic that sets in after you've died. SHIT. WHERE WAS I?! SHIT!!! MY DIAMOND PICK AXE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....!!!

Aphasia

Walter said:
Yeah I've been looking forward to the PC release since I saw the GiantBomb.com guys do a Quick Look feature on it: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-super-meat-boy/17-3387/
Minecraft scares me like no other game ever has. The SSSSSSSSSSSS of a Creeper, or that terrible sound giant spiders make, when you're not expecting it will scare the piss out of you.

Then there's the panic that sets in after you've died. SHIT. WHERE WAS I?! SHIT!!! MY DIAMOND PICK AXE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....!!!

You'll love it if you like platformers at all. I love all the extra characters they added from random indie games. "The kid" from I wanna be the guy is priceless.

Shit, I know. It's so scary. I have to place torches EVERYWHERE underground or I can't mine with peace of mine. See what I did there?

Monsters can spawn from nowhere, right? Or just darkness? Because that's what it feels like. They sneak up behind you. I'm jealous though, the best thing I've found was Iron and I was pretty darn excited. How do you find stuff like diamonds? Luck?

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Aphasia said:
Monsters can spawn from nowhere, right? Or just darkness? Because that's what it feels like. They sneak up behind you. I'm jealous though, the best thing I've found was Iron and I was pretty darn excited. How do you find stuff like diamonds? Luck?

They can spawn anywhere there is darkness. And for awhile they were spawning like crazy underground even in light, but that was fixed. As for diamonds, they can only be found in the deepest parts of the underground- you need to either find caves that go down to almost bedrock level or you have dig around down there yourself. You'll also find some gold and a lot of red dust, and coal deposits will almost always be around 8-10 blocks together.

I've also been playing minecraft off and on, but I have a large project I'm thinking about starting so I may devote a bit more time to it. If I ever manage to finish it, I'll be sure to post some pictures!

God of War: Ghost of Sparta. So much better than Chains of Olympus. So addicting too. I believe I'm already on the last area.

The only problem with these prequels though is that they bring up some sizable story points that makes it not make sense to be touched upon in the later games on the time-line.

Playing a lot of Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 right now. God, this is just /really/ what I need right now. Only started playing... a month ago? Steam had some crazy sale of $10 for both, and wow, they have paid me back many times over. Just such pitch perfect games for me, truly a treat.

dwarfkicker said:
God of War: Ghost of Sparta. So much better than Chains of Olympus. So addicting too. I believe I'm already on the last area.

The only problem with these prequels though is that they bring up some sizable story points that makes it not make sense to be touched upon in the later games on the time-line.

I just finished God of War: Ghost of Sparta myself. I think I'm in the minority when I say that I preferred Chains of Olympus's story to Ghost of Sparta's. What did you think of the staple "adult oriented ( :slan: )" mini game in Sparta's brothel? I normally roll my eyes at how juvenile these are in general, but I was not expecting to laugh so hard that I couldn't breathe!

I'm thinking about replaying Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals again. That was a fun re-imagining of Lufia II (SNES) with a lot of potential, but it was ultimately wasted. I thought the story was somewhat weak, and the voice acting was bottom of the barrel BAD (fortunately, you can turn it off). There's a patch floating around to replace the English "actors" (I use this term lightly) with their Japanese counterparts I'm thinkin' about giving a go.

I was laughing so hard because this one was so over the freaking top, I had to take the headphones out and let my fiance experience. She even got a kick out of the absurdity. What did he end up with, 8 women in the bed by the end of the session :ganishka:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Aphasia said:
I'm excited about the new tales, if the US gets it. It's supposed to be darker, which should be interesting provided the series is usually cartoon through and through. Let me know when you finish it and what you think of the ending! : )

Finally finished it! Tales of Vesperia, that is. Took me 60+ hours, not sure why ( I did leave it on pause a lot while I was away). I like the ending, pretty fun game overall, lot's of secret dialog and side missions and cutscenes that you wouldn't normally see unless you met the right criteria. I found a lot of the achievements ridiculous though, definitely need to play it a second time to get them, which I'm not going to do.

Aphasia

Oburi said:
Finally finished it! Tales of Vesperia, that is. Took me 60+ hours, not sure why ( I did leave it on pause a lot while I was away). I like the ending, pretty fun game overall, lot's of secret dialog and side missions and cutscenes that you wouldn't normally see unless you met the right criteria. I found a lot of the achievements ridiculous though, definitely need to play it a second time to get them, which I'm not going to do.

Awesome! Yeah, it was a pretty fun game. Glad you liked it. It took me about 60 hours, too. You're right, the amount of voice acting on those little character clips or whatever was nuts. There's no way you could unlock it all. It's kind of cool that they would change depending on what you were doing. For instance, I hardly ever cooked. It was a pretty useless feature in the game, for me. You could recover infinite amounts of HP with artes compared to food.

But anyways, my point was that my party would groan that they never eat or cook anything. Lol, I got like 3 skits where they were bitching about being hungry. But yeah, wouldn't play through it twice. Aren't many games that warrant a second play through for me. They have to be freaking good.

Beat Enslaved. Liked it. 8/10. Enjoyable, but could have done a lot more. Two things disappointed me. Not getting to drive cool motorcycle. Check. and the ending.
YEaaaaahhhhh the matrix has been done, buddy.

PS: I wanted to modify this to say everyone should buy the XBL indie game "Tempura of the Dead" if you love zombies and retro games you'll love it. It's a great cheap throwback title, and plus it's awesome to support indies. Watch the engrish ridden trailer here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8O7qCvdZsE

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Just started Final Fantasy on my psp. I have no previous knowledge of the games story so it's all new to me. 30 minutes into it and I'm in this place called Matoy's Cave. So good so far.

Aphasia

Walter said:
I wish I were playing this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIrS6OEqNXc

Hahahah what a great idea for a game. I love that "controller" table. Just flip that shit. The graphics crack me up. It makes me sad arcades are pretty dead.

Aphasia said:
It makes me sad arcades are pretty dead.

Well maybe fewer games are being released, but it's far from dead. The arcades I know around here are always full of people playing KOF 98, Metal Slug and others.

Top Bottom