What Are You Playing?

Oburi said:
I'm stuck at the same point in MK. I can't fucking beat kahn with Raiden to save my life. I kicked his ass before but he's much more difficult with Raiden for some reason.

Oburi. It took me 20+ tries to defeat him on medium difficulty. My advice: If you go for combos, you're screwing yourself. Kahn will put you over his knee and spank you. So, that being said, distance is key. Sort of. Jump away from him. Do the lightning attack. Once he goes to throw his lance or his sledge hammer, TELEPORT and UPPERCUT, then get out of there. Rinse repeat. Or you can wait until he is about to attack, teleport and then uppercut or sweep. Give it half a second when he's getting up and teleport again. I should tell you, I won the 2 round because the timer run out. I wasn't even looking but nearly jumped out of my seat going, "AW YEAAAAH!!!!"

Good luck my friend...

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Proj2501 said:
Just finished Portal 2. Really, really loved it. It's chock full of so many great moments. Only one puzzle had me scratching my head for some time.
The one with a bunch of yellow pipes, an air duct and white paint.
I tried what turned out to be the solution at first, then wound up spending an hour trying a million different other things, only to find out I was originally placing my portal too far to the right. :mozgus:
Looking forward to completing the co-op. Thanks Valve. :ubik:

Glad you enjoyed it! It's always frustrating figuring something out that you just barely had wrong. One of the designers was mentioning how difficult it is to craft the perfect difficulty. If it's too easy they won't feel like they're accomplishing anything, but if it's too hard the player will feel frustrated or cheated. I think the longest I was stuck was 30 minutes or so. I thought of the solution while I was taking a shower later. :void: One thing I really enjoyed was the simple feeling you get after you figure out a puzzle. It's very satisfying seeing how all the parts come together.

Played several hours of the Co-op yesterday. It's surprisingly well crafted. I thought it would be kind of tacked on after the fantastic single player, but I was proved wrong. Co-op puzzles open up a brand new dimension of puzzle-solving. Fun stuff. There's this big electronic banner in the hub that tracks your stats, like how many hugs have been given. :ganishka:

Oh, if you don't feel like playing through to hear the commentary, you can watch them all on this guys youtube channel. I don't know about you, but I find them extremely fascinating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0AMGlAND54

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
I finally started playing NIER for the PS3 last night. When it came out barely anyone talked about it and it had some mixed reviews, but I suspect most people were just too busy playing FFXIII to try to justify their wasted money and anticipation. Anyway, I'm about 6 hours in and I'm loving it. The combat is nothing special; rather typical action RPG hacking and magic spells. Where this game has me hooked is the atmosphere and soundtrack. Great music and interesting environments that remind me of a Zelda and Shadow of the Colossus love-child.

I just looked up the game, and it seems to have accumulated mostly favorable opinions now; just seems to be a sleeper hit. Also I'm stoked that there are 4 or so possible endings, and they don't make you replay the whole game from scratch to uncover them all.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Saephon said:
I finally started playing NIER for the PS3 last night. When it came out barely anyone talked about it and it had some mixed reviews, but I suspect most people were just too busy playing FFXIII to try to justify their wasted money and anticipation.
As I recall, most of the reviews for NIER seemed to be expressing genre fatigue for third-person action games. There was a pretty big glut of them around the time of NIER's release.

3/1/2010: Dante's Inferno
3/16/2010: God Of War III
4/27/2010: NIER

But you can probably lay the blame for it being overlooked squarely on Dante's shoulders. It sort of muddied the water. With poop.

For Portal 2 fans, specifically those who have beaten the game and enjoyed the music, as you may know, right now there is no official soundtrack. But the music can be mined from the data files in the portal 2 folder within Steam. Some nerds extracted that and compiled this, a convenient, if slightly incomplete, soundtrack for the game: http://soundcloud.com/natha1308/sets/portal-2/

I've sent emails to Gabe Newell and his business counterparts at Valve to see if they'll comment on when or if an official soundtrack will ever get released.

Aphasia

Walter said:
For Portal 2 fans, specifically those who have beaten the game and enjoyed the music, as you may know, right now there is no official soundtrack. But the music can be mined from the data files in the portal 2 folder within Steam. Some nerds extracted that and compiled this, a convenient, if slightly incomplete, soundtrack for the game: http://soundcloud.com/natha1308/sets/portal-2/

I've sent emails to Gabe Newell and his business counterparts at Valve to see if they'll comment on when or if an official soundtrack will ever get released.

Thanks for this! The music was certainly a highlight of the game. Hopefully we'll see an official release at some point.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Proj2501 said:
What am I playing? NOTHING online with my PS3. :mozgus: :mozgus: :mozgus:
The PSN won't go back online until they can "secure" it again. Apparently the hacker or hackers breach was pretty bad.

Nomad said:
The PSN won't go back online until they can "secure" it again. Apparently the hacker or hackers breach was pretty bad.
Pretty bad indeed, Reading this, I don't know hat to think. I'm so glad i only use a prepaid card for my PSN, so the potential damage is low, but to think that someone now has all my personal data... Good thing I use different names and passwords for different things.

So with the PSN out, I at least had time to finish Crysis 2 (weak ending, good game, not as good as crysis or warhead) and Portal 2.
Now the latter was really bad. And by bad I mean absolutely stunningly great. Cave Johnson has got to be one of the best written videogame characters ever.

Oh, and I stumbled upon Audiosurf, nice game to kill some time.

Aphasia

Playing Super Mario Galaxy 2! I'm so sad it took me this long to get it! It's one of the few games my family will get into. My parents actually play it when I'm not there, which is a pretty big deal for them. :guts:

And...still grinding away at Pokemon. Out of nowhere I now know 4-5 people who play and I can trade/battle with. Hooray!

Just started playing "3rd Birthday." (Parasite Eve 3...but not really I guess.) Kinda like Resident Evil 4 it is more action originated, but damn it somehow manages to be a very bloody game. Maybe the most bloody game I ever seen Squareenix release. Although, I have no idea whats going on story wise yet but its been pretty gripping from chapter to chapter. The battles aren't "battle cut-away," they happen in real time. The graphics are the best I've seen on PSP yet. I thought FF7: Crisis Core was beautiful, and well as Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep but they had a somewhat of a anime style edge to them. 3rd Birthday tends to more realistic. It takes place in Manhattan again, and involves things from DNA altering, to time travel, to more or less a pretty cool "Berserk" mode called over-dive (much like the kingdom hearts over-drive mode.)

You can buy and customize every weapon, the DNA altering is puzzle like and is pretty satisfying so far. You can leap your being from and to the surrounding citizens, soldiers, and party members to avoid dying since your lifeforce/being that is what is traveling to the past. This helps you get better advantage points, better weapons, stronger skills and adds a lot to the strategy of taking out enemies by choosing who/where/what is best suited for the situation. You can jump from person to person anytime in the game. I discovered how interesting this aspect was when my current host was about to die, and I leaped out into another person just in time. Another cool thing is you can "dive" into enemies and use you over-dive state to make them explode. I tried not to read too much about this game because I knew I didn't want to spoil anything. I have no idea if its linked to either the 1st or 2nd game. Both of which I've played. You are Aya but this game has been so "different" in both story and feel I would almost say its a re-telling or a original alter storyline with the base character.

I also beat Dissida 012. I put 90+ hours into it. (Cool note, its a two in one game. You can unlock the entire first game within it.)

Viral Harvest

Every Knee Bent Too Shall Break
Just about done with Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey for DS. By far the best 12 bucks I've ever spent on a game. The writing is fantastic and bleak. From what I hear, the original series is darker than the Persona games too (which I will pick up sometime in the future). I've never played an SMT game before and I wanted to start with something that was true to the original series but an updated experience. No way am I sitting in my room for hours scribbling on sheets of graph paper, but I understand the novelty of that back in the day. Though a lot of the game elements are standard and traditional, it's the story and writing that drew me in. SMT: Nocturne for PS2 is next.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Viral Harvest said:
Just about done with Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey for DS. By far the best 12 bucks I've ever spent on a game. The writing is fantastic and bleak. From what I hear, the original series is darker than the Persona games too (which I will pick up sometime in the future). I've never played an SMT game before and I wanted to start with something that was true to the original series but an updated experience. No way am I sitting in my room for hours scribbling on sheets of graph paper, but I understand the novelty of that back in the day. Though a lot of the game elements are standard and traditional, it's the story and writing that drew me in. SMT: Nocturne for PS2 is next.
I have Strange Journey, but didn't get very far into the game. Probably about 6 hours or so. The monotony of the dungeons wore down on me, and I felt like it involved a lot of grinding. I love the premise and art style though.

Viral Harvest

Every Knee Bent Too Shall Break
Walter said:
I have Strange Journey, but didn't get very far into the game. Probably about 6 hours or so. The monotony of the dungeons wore down on me, and I felt like it involved a lot of grinding. I love the premise and art style though.

The game definitely requires a lot of patience, I ended it with about 50 hours clocked in. The first-person dungeon crawling is without a doubt monotonous and there is an absurd amount of grinding, but the story was good enough to cause me to push through it. The last few dungeons are so complex that they almost require some kind of outside guide for those of us that aren't masochists, and the last boss is unforgiving too (at least, on the neutral alignment path I took). Constant fusing and grinding are the only way to survive this game though, unfortunately. I can see how that might put some people off to it.

Aphasia

So I'm playing this game called Banghai O HD on my xbox, and I've never been more confused or seen more missiles in my life. I guess they buried the how to menu under options...that's a good spot for it, haha. Anyways, it's pretty darn fun.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aphasia said:
So I'm playing this game called Banghai O HD on my xbox, and I've never been more confused or seen more missiles in my life. I guess they buried the how to menu under options...that's a good spot for it, haha. Anyways, it's pretty darn fun.
The game is famous for its on-screen chaos. It was originally a Dreamcast game that spawned a DS quasi-sequel in 2008. Though, the DS game turned it from an action game into more of a puzzler. I could never get into it, personally.

Aphasia

Walter said:
The game is famous for its on-screen chaos. It was originally a Dreamcast game that spawned a DS quasi-sequel in 2008. Though, the DS game turned it from an action game into more of a puzzler. I could never get into it, personally.

Haha I can imagine why. It's nuts. A little too complicated for me.

Still playing Super Mario Galaxy 2. And yeah, Screw Big Wigglers Speed Run. I'm gonna break this damn nunchuck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP20jBd7yPE

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aphasia said:
Still playing Super Mario Galaxy 2. And yeah, Screw Big Wigglers Speed Run. I'm gonna break this damn nunchuck!
Pretty sure that's the exact level where I stopped playing. Sure I could skip it. But no... It must be beaten. :mozgus:

Aphasia

Walter said:
Pretty sure that's the exact level where I stopped playing. Sure I could skip it. But no... It must be beaten. :mozgus:

I understand your crusade. :azan: Mario games always drive to me 100% them. Missing stars are an insult to your ability. But yeah, one of the most frustrating Mario levels I've played in a long time. Thankfully I beat it last night with 10 seconds on the clock. Try muting the television - It helps when you don't have the crazy "GO FASTER! OH crap oh crap!" music playing.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Ive been playing an indie side-scroller called Capsized a lot recently. Here's the Steam page with the demo: http://store.steampowered.com/app/95300

[flash=648,360]http://www.youtube.com/v/SrYUEa00dGM[/flash]

The gameplay should be familiar to anyone that's played the old PC game ABUSE, and of course, Metroid. It uses a rarely-used control scheme for PC games: mouse to aim and WASD to move.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Orions 2 for iphone/itouch/ipad.

Fucking finally! If this game was absolutely addicting with single player, now with multplayer it's going to be madness! And i was never a fan o Magic the gathering or card games. Hell, i don't even play games nowadays. But this will definitely hurt my already poor productivity.

Anyone playing can add me on Game Center: SupraKarma

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Just got L.A. Noire for PSTriple. Installed just now, so I guess I could say I'm playing it RIGHT AS I POST! I almost feel like just playing Deja Vu for NES instead though. :serpico:

yesmilord

千年王国
Whiff of nostalgia. Been playing Diablo II again. Dunno why. I think I might be stressed out from my final quarter at school lol. Hit me up on USWest Ladder if you want free stuff :) *ajinkris

Aphasia

That game looks awesome Walter.

Been playing Smash Brothers Brawl. My friends got it for my birthday. :badbone: It's pretty fun, but I suck sincerely at it.

Top Bottom