What Are You Playing?

Walter said:
I just finished Rage. I don't recommend it.

What didn't you like about it? I obtained a copy for ps3 and played about 5 minutes of it. Thought the graphics were impressive but Im pondering whether to give it the time of day or not.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
frankencowx said:
What didn't you like about it? I obtained a copy for ps3 and played about 5 minutes of it. Thought the graphics were impressive but Im pondering whether to give it the time of day or not.

Rage will tease you with some decent shooting mechanics and a beautiful-looking world, the kind we'd expect from id software after so much development time. But at the end of the day, this is a poorly structured game that will only leave you feeling the weight of their missed opportunities by skirting around a real story, and developing a real world. The largest fundamental flaw in the game is its faux-open world -- one in which you're always tied to one of maybe 3 missions at most at a time. But these side missions will only take you about 3-5 minutes each, and are mere appetizers along the path of the main "plot." They end up feeling like fluff strung about just to make the game world feel larger than it really is. There is no exploration element. Try to go a few inches beyond the arbitrarily defined path and you'll just end up grinding up against an invisible wall like you're in The Truman Show. In a game that took id 7 years to develop, the sheer dearth of exploration comes across like a slap in the face. What were they doing all this time? Apparently texturing walls. Which do look GORGEOUS ... until you get too close :ganishka:

You'll travel between one of two towns (three if counting the first small podunk), which serve as hub worlds, and a handful of static first-person shooter levels, which look gorgeous but bring nothing new to the table. The only action that takes place in the huge-looking open world is some very quick car battles. You won't do any meaty missions in this overworld. You'll follow your dotted line on your mini-map to the next level, hit E on a door, and you'll load into the next shooting level where enemies for the most part run straight at you while you blast away. The feel of these guns is what we'd come to expect from id. Your basic rifle has a solid chunkiness to it that feels tangible, and that goes for the basic shotgun as well. As you fill up on your final arsenal, the weapons begin to resemble DOOM variations, which is a nice touch. Though at that point I was just ready to be done with this whole thing.

Earlier I'd called the open-world the game's largest fundamental flaw. That's true. But there's another huge flaw that could easily have been corrected -- the ending. For a game that's been in development for over 7 years, there is no excuse for the way in which this game ends. The final moments of Rage feel like the end of the third act in a five-act play. You trigger an event, the consequences of which are still obscured, you see the beginnings of what would have been the fourth act, and then the credits roll. It is poorly structured and ends up feeling like a huge missed opportunity. Rumor is that Rage wasn't completed when it was shipped. They had to lop off portions of the game to meet publisher's deadlines. But there's no excuse left after 7 years of development.

After being so disappointed with how Rage ended, I just hope they plan out Doom 4 better. Leave out the faux-open world. Just let us experience this type of game as it was meant to be -- a string of quickly paced, first-person shooter levels with amazing scenery.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
http://kotaku.com/5851953/doom-4-indefinitely-postponed-following-rages-disappointing-launch

Rage has allegedly taken Doom 4 down with it, which might not be a bad thing.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
http://kotaku.com/5851953/doom-4-indefinitely-postponed-following-rages-disappointing-launch

Rage has allegedly taken Doom 4 down with it, which might not be a bad thing.
Updated: "no title under development at id has been postponed – indefinitely or otherwise."

If it's canceled/postponed, I'd definitely see that as bad news. Rage wasn't bad because it was a bad shooter. It was poorly structured, as you can read in my review. Shooting was its strongest suit. But if Doom 4 is a return to basics with id's pedigree in weapons and level design, that would be fucking amazing. It doesn't necessarily have to end up being Doom 3-2.

Konketsuji said:
Since you guys are playing Dark Souls I figured that you have a PSN accounts. :troll: Would you mind telling me your user name so I can add to my friends list? :carcus: I would love to play Tekkn, SC, or other fighting games with someone from this forum.

Not sure if you have my psn acc but its Adam006 if you wanna play some games at some point!

Konketsuji said:
Since you guys are playing Dark Souls I figured that you have a PSN accounts. :troll: Would you mind telling me your user name so I can add to my friends list? :carcus: I would love to play Tekkn, SC, or other fighting games with someone from this forum.

PSN is frankencowx, I love me some tekken. Looking forward to tekken tag 2.

Viral Harvest

Every Knee Bent Too Shall Break
Forza 4, which I play like a complete dick. I've managed to place 1st in all races so far by not braking when I turn. Rather, I cut the wheel at the last possible second and crash-bounce my way around the turn off of the AI. As far as I'm concerned, it's the ONLY way to play this game. Can't wait to take it online and do the same thing, granted "Simulation" mode isn't turned on.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Viral Harvest said:
Forza 4, which I play like a complete dick. I've managed to place 1st in all races so far by not braking when I turn. Rather, I cut the wheel at the last possible second and crash-bounce my way around the turn off of the AI. As far as I'm concerned, it's the ONLY way to play this game. Can't wait to take it online and do the same thing, granted "Simulation" mode isn't turned on.
Wow I can't believe that actually works. That's a tactic straight out of Daytona USA. :ganishka:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Gonna be playing Uncharted 3 all night on Wensday with my bro. :guts: Pull an all nighter and hopefully finish it one go.

I've been addicted to Mount & Blade: Warband for so long, and now I find myself dividing my time between M&B, Arkham City, Battlefield 3, and the XBA remake of Guardian Heroes (oh, Sega Saturn, how I've missed you!). My sleepy time is getting severely compromised lately… :troll:

Viral Harvest

Every Knee Bent Too Shall Break
Walter said:
Wow I can't believe that actually works. That's a tactic straight out of Daytona USA. :ganishka:

Granted, in high-level play collisions are turned off, but I just think its maddeningly hysterical that the Forza 4 team has spent considerable time making the most realistic and high-grade racing sim and yet you can still play as if it were Outrun or something. Regardless, they did a great job with this game. The visuals are pretty mind-blowing too, and I'm not even a "car guy" haha.

Oburi

All praise Grail
My friend and I beat Uncharted 3 in one sitting clocking around 8 or 9 hours, but don't let that get you down. It was a glorious night. I can't count how many times we geeked out like schoolboys over something as small as barroom brawl or something as epic as running along the side of a massive sinking cargo ship. While I don't think its the masterpiece IGN claims it to be (I liked the second one better) its still a great game with literally one of the best chase sequences ever put in a video game (and prolly on the big screen as well). About halfway through the game it goes from great to un-fuckin-believable.

Breed1Ghost said:
Not sure if you have my psn acc but its Adam006 if you wanna play some games at some point!
frankencowx said:
PSN is frankencowx, I love me some tekken. Looking forward to tekken tag 2.
Dar Klink said:
PSN is stupeiacedefect
Steam is http://steamcommunity.com/id/DFFTCOP

Oh, and I'm playing... TF2. Just caved in and bought The Missing Link though, I hope it's worth it my dignity! :troll:

Thanks, now I got all of you. :guts: My acc is Konketsuji87.

My friend recommended the Resistance series, so I put Demons Souls on the shelf and started playing Fall of Men. Well, to tell the truth I thought it would be better, but it's still playable and I guess I'll have to beat it so I can pass my final judgement. =)

Modern Warfare 3 comes out midnight tonight. Is anyone else denying they're going at midnight to buy this thing? I am.

Anyone down to get a private lobby going on to get the feel of the game?

Oburi

All praise Grail
Proj2501 said:
Modern Warfare 3 comes out midnight tonight. Is anyone else denying they're going at midnight to buy this thing? I am.

Anyone down to get a private lobby going on to get the feel of the game?

:azan: To hell with these games. As much as I loved Call Of Duty in the past and the countless hours I spent playing CoD2 online... and then MW and MW2 and World At War and Black Ops and ... you know what? It's the same game over and over. I actually didn't play Black Ops that much at all and I sure as hell ain't playing MW3. I know the online is fun believe me I do but it's just overkill. I don't even understand how fans can be so rabid for the next game when the last one came out not too long ago.

X

Xem

I get that FPS are really fun, especially to play with friends, but I don't understand the fanaticism at all. I want to try out Monster Hunter, anyone a fan of the series? The one for Wii worth a damn or should I look to CPU?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
I get that FPS are really fun, especially to play with friends, but I don't understand the fanaticism at all. I want to try out Monster Hunter, anyone a fan of the series? The one for Wii worth a damn or should I look to CPU?

Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii is pretty good as far as I know.

The 3DS one looks good as well, it's even got an "easy mode" (target lock) built in for those who can't stand the "classic" gameplay. Otherwise you have the PSP episodes.

Oburi said:
:azan: To hell with these games. As much as I loved Call Of Duty in the past and the countless hours I spent playing CoD2 online... and then MW and MW2 and World At War and Black Ops and ... you know what? It's the same game over and over. I actually didn't play Black Ops that much at all and I sure as hell ain't playing MW3. I know the online is fun believe me I do but it's just overkill. I don't even understand how fans can be so rabid for the next game when the last one came out not too long ago.

Precisely, it got really stale leveling up, prestiging, leveling up, prestiging over the course of MW1, MW2, and world at war. I skipped black ops and MW3, and will continue to do so until COD reinvents itself.

I miss the WW2 shooters, I'm getting tired of all the modern shooters..

Top Bottom