What Are You Playing?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Started playing Zelda: Skyward Sword yesterday. It's pretty neat, but I wish it didn't hold my hand quite as much in the beginning. I can appreciate the lengths to which they go to make sure newcomers don't get lost, but an option to neutralize it would have been highly appreciated. Maybe next time. Other than that the game is pretty cool so far, although not at all breaking from the Zelda mold. The sword play is fun, but I'm still getting used to it. I'm often trying to get away with quick flicks of the wrist to slash through stuff when the game wants me to actually move my arm (or to be more adept at flicking my wrist, which is my plan as a professional lazy-ass). Another thing I dig as far as the story goes is
how Link and Zelda are pretty clearly in love by the beginning of the game. Call me old fashioned but that's how a "HERO SAVES PRINCESS" story is supposed to be in my book. I enjoyed seeing Link and Zelda kiss in Zelda II as a kid, so I'd like to see that again at least once as an adult.

Oburi

All praise Grail
My friend and I blasted through Gears of War 3 finally in about 8 hours. It was fun, but I think I had more fun in the second Gears. Horde mode is fun, but I don't think I'll be playing much more of it.

Also played the new Halo remake. I haven't played through the campaign yet but I spent a good amount of time in multiplayer on split screen with friends and it was awesome. Even though I haven't played Halo in a long time (especially the first game) it all came back to me quick and I dominated. I knew the old maps like the back of my hand and the magnum... oh the magnum. :guts:

X

Xem

Aazealh said:
Started playing Zelda: Skysward Sword yesterday. It's pretty neat, but I wish it didn't hold my hand quite as much in the beginning. I can appreciate the lengths to which they go to make sure newcomers don't get lost, but an option to neutralize it would have been highly appreciated. Maybe next time.

I read somewhere Eiji Aonuma or Miyamoto may be directly responsible for how that part of the game goes. A quote basically read, "If the beginning isn't perfect then the whole game is scratched," more-or-less. I'll try to find the article if you want me to. I had the same issue in Twilight Princess, the beginning was by and far the least appealing factor in the game for me simply because it just dragged out, which sucked because it totally dissuades me from starting a new Save File.

Anyway, have you been in Zelda's bedroom yet? :slan:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Zelda. It is very, very good. I've been very impressed with the story presentation. Nearly every element in the game shines with quality. I'm only about 3 hours in but I'm enjoying this like no Zelda in recent memory.

I only get to play the new Zelda on weekends, but so far it's a real blast.
I especially like how the overworld is basically part of the dungeons gameplay-wise.

I've got some mixed feelings about the swordplay though. Too often I find myself trying to just move the sword to a certain orientation to strike from there, but the game recognizes this adjusting-movement as a strike on it's own.
That, and stabbing is a real chore from the position I play from.

Infinte

They see me rollin', they hatin'.
Oburi said:
My friend and I blasted through Gears of War 3 finally in about 8 hours. It was fun, but I think I had more fun in the second Gears. Horde mode is fun, but I don't think I'll be playing much more of it.

Also played the new Halo remake. I haven't played through the campaign yet but I spent a good amount of time in multiplayer on split screen with friends and it was awesome. Even though I haven't played Halo in a long time (especially the first game) it all came back to me quick and I dominated. I knew the old maps like the back of my hand and the magnum... oh the magnum. :guts:

You should try the campaign it is pretty fun especially when you're playing Coop with a friend and they have this neat thing that I personally think they should add to more remake and/or remasters and that is that with a click on the Back button you can switch between the old and new graphics anytime except the cutscene(apparently they are running two engines at the sametime), I can't remember the last time i played Halo CE except that it was a long time ago but man is that magnum way overpowered that and I liked the price tag when i preordered it on GameStop 40$ USD i think since we got it for that price where I live.

The games i have played these days are Skyrim and LA Noire, both games were pretty good but Skyrim had way to many bugs, glitches and lags (and other gameplay issues ruining the immersion and the overall experience). Seriously when your using a sword in first person mode it feels like your smearing you're sword onto you're enemies rather than cutting them with it and for being a game that supposedly is all about giving the player as much control as possible and letting him do whatever he wants it feels kinda contradicting with those finishing move in which you have no control over (quicktime events really do piss me off) instead making of them they could have fixed that really underdeveloped combat, while my complaints with LA Noire was that the gameplay felt a bit too repetitive and that they could have done something to make the gameplay more interesting without making the game have so many cutscenes.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Infinte said:
You should try the campaign it is pretty fun especially when you're playing Coop with a friend and they have this neat thing that I personally think they should add to more remake and/or remasters and that is that with a click on the Back button you can switch between the old and new graphics anytime except the cutscene(apparently they are running two engines at the sametime), I can't remember the last time i played Halo CE except that it was a long time ago but man is that magnum way overpowered that and I liked the price tag when i preordered it on GameStop 40$ USD i think since we got it for that price where I live.

The games i have played these days are Skyrim and LA Noire, both games were pretty good but Skyrim had way to many bugs, glitches and lags (and other gameplay issues ruining the immersion and the overall experience). Seriously when your using a sword in first person mode it feels like your smearing you're sword onto you're enemies rather than cutting them with it and for being a game that supposedly is all about giving the player as much control as possible and letting him do whatever he wants it feels kinda contradicting with those finishing move in which you have no control over (quicktime events really do piss me off) instead making of them they could have fixed that really underdeveloped combat, while my complaints with LA Noire was that the gameplay felt a bit too repetitive and that they could have done something to make the gameplay more interesting without making the game have so many cutscenes.
Two sentences. That's amazing :ubik:

Viral Harvest

Every Knee Bent Too Shall Break
Castleminer Z on Xbox Live indie games, which is basically a Minecraft clone with zombie survival elements - you bulid a fortress from the get-go and can craft guns and ammo. It's a bit buggy, but for a $3 price tag I'm not really complaining, it's a lot of fun and can be played online.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Infinte said:

Did you say all of that with just two breaths?

Also, the magnum was the greatest gun out of all the games. Period.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I finished Mass Effect for the first time tonight (better late than never, I always say). I purchased Mass Effect 2 on Steam for $4.99 tonight (it was 75% off :isidro:), so I'll start playing that this weekend, or sometime early next week. So good.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Aazealh said:
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. :iva:

Ah, that is a game I have some very fond memories with. : ) Portal 2 is also excellent! Good games to be playing on the holiday.

Myself, I'm cooling it on the Skyrim for a bit to play Skyward Sword. Played a few hours so far and I'm loving it. It's great to be back in a Zelda game. I especially love the charming animation, the great music and the overall presentation is very classy.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Rhombaad said:
I finished Mass Effect for the first time tonight (better late than never, I always say). I purchased Mass Effect 2 on Steam for $4.99 tonight (it was 75% off :isidro:), so I'll start playing that this weekend, or sometime early next week. So good.

Cool man. What did you think?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Oburi said:
Cool man. What did you think?

I loved it. I had a few gripes, like certain buildings and caves having the exact same layout, no matter were you were, as well as the inventory system, but other than those minor complaints, the game was great.

By the way, I did not expect Mass Effect 2 to start out like it did.
I literally yelled, "Noooooo!!!" when the Normandy was destroyed.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
I finished Mass Effect for the first time tonight (better late than never, I always say).
Your first time? In Steam it says you've played the game for 85.2 hours. That's a hell of a run for a single play! :isidro:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I started over a couple of times before I found a class I liked (and once because I hadn't played in a while and couldn't remember what happened before I stopped playing :void:). It might have counted all that time, too.

tumblr_lukf97u7h61qddaj9o1_1280.gif

Wish I was playing this!

But I'm actually playing Breath of Fire VII.

Top Bottom