What Are You Playing?

Oburi

All praise Grail
hellrasinb said:
I picked up my copy of Fall of Cybertron Thursday and have been very happy thus far with the game.

The hell? I thought this came out on Tuesday? Lucky bastard. I played the demo and it was pretty cool. Can't believe it was 2010 when War for Cybertron came out. That was a great play.

Anyway I finally picked up Max Payne 3 again. I put it down for a while for some reason (even though I bought it on day 1) and only got through act 1. But man, just in two days I blew through the rest in 3 sittings. Game is an action roller coaster. I seriously feel like Rambo, John McClain and whatever Arnold's name was in Commando during different parts of the game. So good.

Oburi said:
The hell? I thought this came out on Tuesday? Lucky bastard. I played the demo and it was pretty cool. Can't believe it was 2010 when War for Cybertron came out. That was a great play.

Anyway I finally picked up Max Payne 3 again. I put it down for a while for some reason (even though I bought it on day 1) and only got through act 1. But man, just in two days I blew through the rest in 3 sittings. Game is an action roller coaster. I seriously feel like Rambo, John McClain and whatever Arnold's name was in Commando during different parts of the game. So good.

Activision is very pissy at the moment as alot of people got the game early from mom & pop shops but most of all they are pissed at Walmart because they found out that Walmart was giving away copies of the game to people who bought War for Cybertron.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Dark Souls on PC, thanks to Aaz who kindly gifted it to me. :ubik:

I'm loving it. The game is amazingly atmospheric. It has its own take on the fantasy genre. There's really nothing else on the market like this game (Except for its predecessor, of course).

I chose a Wanderer, and after about 4 hours, am finally understanding the flow of combat—at least with this weapon/armor loadout. I can now slice through the first 12 or so zombies in Undead Burg without taking a scratch, with only a little effort. When I first waltzed in, it took some manuevering.

What this game does better than anything I've played in years is the sense of exploration, adventure and overwhelming satisfaction when you take down a tough enemy. The combat is very tough, but fair. Enemies have patterns, habits, but everything in the game is working from the same ruleset in terms of weight/blocking/parrying in combat. So it's extremely rewarding to successfully dodge, or block then land a hit with perfect timing.

My only real complaint so far is that the harsh combat can grind you down after some time, and doesn't really encourage you to take risks. So you end up playing verrrryyy carefully, and that's not something I can do for very long in a video game without feeling constricted. Often I wish I could play a character like Guts, who can just cut loose through a series of enemies in a single swing. But that's not really what this game is about :guts:

Berserk fans would really dig this game.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Walter said:
Dark Souls on PC, thanks to Aaz who kindly gifted it to me. :ubik:

I'm loving it. The game is amazingly atmospheric. It has its own take on the fantasy genre. There's really nothing else on the market like this game (Except for its predecessor, of course).

I chose a Wanderer, and after about 4 hours, am finally understanding the flow of combat—at least with this weapon/armor loadout. I can now slice through the first 12 or so zombies in Undead Burg without taking a scratch, with only a little effort. When I first waltzed in, it took some manuevering.

What this game does better than anything I've played in years is the sense of exploration, adventure and overwhelming satisfaction when you take down a tough enemy. The combat is very tough, but fair. Enemies have patterns, habits, but everything in the game is working from the same ruleset in terms of weight/blocking/parrying in combat. So it's extremely rewarding to successfully dodge, or block then land a hit with perfect timing.

My only real complaint so far is that the harsh combat can grind you down after some time, and doesn't really encourage you to take risks. So you end up playing verrrryyy carefully, and that's not something I can do for very long in a video game without feeling constricted. Often I wish I could play a character like Guts, who can just cut loose through a series of enemies in a single swing. But that's not really what this game is about :guts:

Berserk fans would really dig this game.

I was waiting to hear your opinion on this game Walter! I'm really glad you like it. My only real gripe with the PC version so far is GFWL, which I had to go through restarting the game like 4 times to get up and running, it's a really bothersome system. I have one friend who hasn't got the game working yet due to GFWL errors. Other than that it's really fun to re-experience the game on PC, the best part of which is seeing new players struggle to get into the game's flow, reading their comments/threads around the net is pretty funny. Also, there's a resolution buffer unlock mod floating around right now which makes the game look even more gorgeous if your computer can handle it. The console version had some great textures you couldn't really see too well because of their limitations.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Hell yes Walter finally! Knew you'd love it. Dark Souls is great. I've talked about it to death with everyone I know but indeed, yes it's such a gem of a video game you'd be crazy to miss out on it (especially being a Berserk fan).

Man o man this story just inspired me a gift Dark Souls to a few close friends of mine. But of course paypal sucks and needs to send me a little slip in the mail over the next 4-6 days so I can verify my physical address... :azan:

Got the 2005 game F.E.A.R. gifted to me, oh, over a year ago? Finally sat down to seriously play it.

And /wow/, I am impressed! It is a pure joy to play. There's stuff going on with the AI I haven't seen in any other FPS of the past seven years.

Playing the LAST Story (FINAL Fantasy, ok Sakaguchi) on Wii. Not seeing what all the fuss is about yet. The game is terribly slow to get in to, the dubbing is horrendous, and the combat is... odd for starters. More importantly, I know its the Wii but christ, the game chugs at what looks like 15 FPS a lot of the time.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
How are the controls? The demo threw me off entirely...

It's great... with the circle pad pro. Actually, the circle pad pro itself is better than I thought. Dramatically changes the experience of using the 3DS, and not only for the second stick, but just holding the 3DS (feels much more like a modern game controller in your hand, the triggers help too). Of course, it's really only needed for this and RE: Revelations. Otherwise, I normally take it off for something like New Super Mario Bros for the full old school feel (and it's certainly not designed to be left on, can't access the cartridge port or the stylus pen). Anyway, it's all worth it for MGS3 in 3D, because it especially benefits from it. Combined with the beautifully complex survival mechanics, it's extremely immersive. I'm glad I didn't remember half of what you can do, because it's nice to be surprised when you think of something, try to improvise doing it, and find out, yes, you can do it. One moment that that kind of took my breath away all over again was I was playing at night in the dark, and I got to the cave portion and it was pitch black, couldn't see anything on the screen. So, I'm supposed to find torches but instead I fumble around exploring the cave and after a few minutes I don't even need them, I can everything, and I realize that "my" eyes have adjusted. Capcom couldn't make this happen years later in RE5 (which was the only thing that made the daytime environment sound interesting, the same goes for the aiming/moving system that Revelations basically adapts, though with far less customization). Anyway, I'm loving it, from the gameplay to the story content this game is nearly pitch perfect.

I'm stiiiiiiill... in a dreeeeeam...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Been playing Renegade Ops for the past couple days. Very fun game, albeit short. Reminds of the "Strike" series of my youth. :guts:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I finished playing Mass Effect 3 last night and ordered Diablo. I never played it or Diablo II, so I'm looking forward to experiencing these two classics. They may not be up to the same standards of graphics and gameplay as today's games, but I've heard they're a lot of fun.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Super Hexagon for iPhone. This game is freaking fantastic. For fans of VVVVVV, this is Terry Cavanagh's newest game. I also spent $5 on the soundtrack, which is totally rad.

Here's what it looks like in motion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sz0mI_6tLQ

It's super simple, but incredibly devious, as the direction, zoom and colors change. It plays around with your perspective and perception of movement. If you focus on one area of the screen for too long, you will get blindsided by an incoming wall. The controls work well enough, touch left or right side of the screen to move your little triangle dude in a circle around the hexagon. But I can't help but think a mouse would be more precise. And it's supposed to get a PC release later. Hoping that's even better.

My longest time so far is 39 seconds. Terry's score is dominating at ... 200 seconds. :mozgus:

turkitage

ターク
Walter said:
Here's what it looks like in motion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sz0mI_6tLQ

wtf.. this hurts my eyes just watching this. I want to play this, no iphone = [, hopefully PC version will be on steam for cheap.

Infinte

They see me rollin', they hatin'.
I'm playing Dark Souls on PC where I just joined
the Darkwraith covenant and after that I went to Anor Londo and started stomping people who were on their way to Ornstein and Smough
, and as always I really don't care if the host has summoned phantoms as it just means more souls and humanity(sometimes) for me :beast:. I remember facing 3 dudes one were spamming spells and the other pyromancies while the host tried to bumrush me with a lightning Uchigatana(I counter backstabbed him twice but man did he have some HP) and they ended up stomping me of course :ganishka:.

Griffith

Shadow of the Colossus on PCSX in HD on my new computer. Pretty, pretty, pretty.... pretty good. I might have to pick up ICO yet.

Griffith

Walter said:
How well does it run?

Very well, to my surprise. I think there's some minor lighting and effects differences, but better than some official PC ports I've seen, and overall it looks gorgeous (whatever the differences, > PS2). Most of the time I can just get lost in it and don't notice anything, but there was a little slowdown a couple of times during the fight with the third colossus, and strangely the worst was just before I got to the fifth, but not during the battle, which I thought might be too intensive but ran fine and was as breathtaking as ever. Anyway, it's good enough that I haven't bothered trying to make it better, but I've seen some youtube videos where it looks perfect.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Anyway, it's good enough that I haven't bothered trying to make it better, but I've seen some youtube videos where it looks perfect.
That's awesome. I still have my copy laying around. I should give it a whirl after I finish up Dark Souls.

Also, you should definitely play ICO if you dig SOTC.

Top Bottom