What Are You Playing?

Breed1Ghost said:
Have you tried the call of cathulu fps game on xbox? That was kinda scary.

frankencowx said:
Did you ever play Amnesia: The Dark Descent (PC)? Or how about The Suffering (PS2)? Those games creeped me out a bit.

Thank you for the suggestions, guys! I do plan on playing Amnesia. When I started my search that was actually the first game people told me about. While they were telling me about Amnesia and its sanity bar, it brought up Eternal Darkness. They were raving about ED so I decided to play that before Amnesia.

Call of Cthulhu and The Suffering sound pretty cool. I'm definitely adding them to my list!

Hanma_Baki said:
^I dont remember too much as I played it together with a pal when it got released, but the one thing I do remember is that awesome sanity meter, I think I even did bad things on purpose in order to provoke the INSANITY let loose :guts: ...anyway I always thought that was like the only charm and that was it but you say its got good story/plot too? Cause Im a horror game enthusiast myself and I dont mind playing older games at all.

Aaz hit the nail on the head so there's not much I can add. It's not scary (outside of the controls), but it has a solid story. And it's a story that gets filled out, and better, the more times you play the game.

And it's good to see another fan of horror games on the boards! You, sir, have great taste in genres. :guts:

I'm about half way through Paper Mario: Sticker Star and I have to say it's a bit of a let down. I love the other Paper Mario games and while Super Mario RPG is still my favorite from the SNES, Sticker Star is a far cry from the console versions.

Aazealh said:
I'm not nearly as invested in Darksiders 2 as I was in the first one, for some reason. Played it a bit, put it down, haven't picked it up since.

Ouch! :isidro: Was really looking forward to that one since Im currently loving the hell out of the first one. So brutal! And I love the mix of Heaven/Hell-Fantasy-Apocalypse, kinda reminds me of the Spawn universe somehow -without as much sci-fi themes (this far anyway, wouldnt mind that either)

Skeleton said:
...the more times you play the game.

A game worth playing multiple times tells a lot :serpico:

And The suffering was a pretty dark and intense game with a very simple yet pretty intriguing plot, never finished the second one though, iirc I royally fucked up and got stuck on some ill timed quick save. Worth giving another shot, anyone? (doesnt strike me as the game you play twice though imo, just a cool experience -more or less like the first one)

Amnesia is definitely on my "to play" list too, just seems a bit more time/energy consuming so Im saving it for the right time :guts:

And it's good to see another fan of horror games on the boards! You, sir, have great taste in genres. :guts:

Right back at´cha :guts: ...if thats me you´re talking about, that is :iva:

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
A friend of mine in the beta gifted me Dota 2 on steam, and so far it's been kicking me in the pants pretty hard. I'm showing subtle signs of improvement, but either the learning curve is pretty steep or I've been getting extremely unlucky with my multiplayer pairings.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I started playing the new Devil May Cry. So far I love it! The upgrading and combo system is just like the old games but the style is all new, and in a really cool way. Dante is badass. The art direction, music, bosses, level design... everything is great. I'm only on the third level though so I shouldn't get too ahead of myself.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Oburi said:
I started playing the new Devil May Cry. So far I love it! The upgrading and combo system is just like the old games but the style is all new, and in a really cool way. Dante is badass. The art direction, music, bosses, level design... everything is great. I'm only on the third level though so I shouldn't get too ahead of myself.

Really? Personally I can't stand anything bout the new Dante or what I know of the story. The old games were fun ridiculous stories while the new one takes itself way too seriously in what seems to be a 1% vs 99% GOVERNMENT IS EVIL FOX NEWS IS THE ENEMY garbage plot. Dante reminds me of a 15 year old who just learned how to swear and fight the man. Kinda like if No More Heroes tried to make Travis Touchdown into a "likeable" character or somebody you're supposed to root for on an ideological level. The level design looks pretty cool though. Can't say much about the gameplay although I've heard it's dumbed down from the previous games.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Dar Klink said:
The old games were fun ridiculous stories while the new one takes itself way too seriously in what seems to be a 1% vs 99% GOVERNMENT IS EVIL FOX NEWS IS THE ENEMY garbage plot.
I don't think that's true at all, given what I've read about the game through reviews. One of the earliest plots is about how demons are using soda brands to enslave humanity. On the walls, demons wrote: "FUCK YOU, DANTE." It's all pretty wacky, THEY LIVE riffs, by the look of it. Here's what Giant Bomb's Brad Shoemaker had to say about the tone of the game.

I started feeling a guilty pleasure at how much I was actually enjoying the spectacle. Then later I gave up the guilt and just flung myself wholeheartedly into the cyclone of nonsense. I think it became easy to like Devil May Cry because it seems somewhat aware of itself; the game is so damn committed to having fun with its absurdity, you can't help having fun along with it.

Dante talks a constant stream of shit to Vergil and just about anyone else who gets in his way, and there's something uncomfortable and a little dissonant about a 50-foot ancient grub-demon screeching "FUCK YOOOOOUUUUU!!!" right back at him. The best sort of dumb fun is the kind that knows how dumb it is, and I consistently got the sense from Devil May Cry knew that the entire time I was playing it.

Ironically, one of the reasons I could never get into the DmC series before this was that the games seemed to always take its own stupid demons versus angels lore waaaay too seriously.

^Hah, I played the old DMCs pretty casually and the first time I saw the trailer for the new game I was like "seriously? Is this DMC???" but not in a bad way just a bit shocked at the impression of new/young Dante. Only reason I never thought I play it was cause all fanatics of the old games has been dissin' it... But that paragraph you just quoted there may have tweaked my interest :serpico:

Recently picked up Soul Calibur 5 and Anarchy Reigns. Soul Calibur obviously awesome, needed a fighter I could more easily play with my friends since they don't seem to like UMVC 3 much. Anarchy Reigns is also extremely enjoyable. The multiplayer is just so random, the characters, the attacks, changing and attacking environment and effects. To top it all off I simply LOVE the soundtrack, it suits the game perfectly and I downloaded it immediately. The multiplayer can be frustrating at times since when you're losing it REALLY feels like you're losing but the exact same goes for winning. You feel like a complete badass and the kills are extremely gratifying and for 29.99 you really can't go wrong.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Well, Walter, from what I've seen of it so far and what I've heard from another review as well as some first-hand experiences, it seems to take itself seriously. Can't say I'd be interested even if it didn't to tell the truth.

What I've been up to is playing a bit of Morrowind again just to itch that scratch I get every once and a while as well as messing around on JoJo HD on PS3 and I tried out the demo for Ni no Kuni, a JRPG with visuals/story by Ghibli. The battle system is a bit pokemonish but real-time and you can switch between your human character and your summoned creatures on the fly. It seems like it'll be pretty fun.

Started playing DmC (as cool kids say :D ) few days ago and yesterday finished it today and it's really good,I would give it about 8.5/10,Its fun to play,fast paced. Combat is fking great,but I kinda disliked that you can get SSS way too easy,since I enjoyed torturing myself in Bloody Palace in old DMC games. I kinda disliked ending. There were some fun lines like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrsLC-1QkuM ..also people should enjoy this game not toss it in garbage just because they dont like how Dante looks .. It's a RE-BOOT ,in Alternative universe after all.
Here's a Skin Pack DLC coming for haters. Also about looks .. seriously,even cows doesnt wear as much leather,as old Dante do.
013951.jpg

I really wanna start Dark Souls but my pc can't handle it too well ..and I dont have money for Xbox copy,since I pre-ordered Tomb Raider ..anyone has 1 PAL copy they dont use? :d ..GTA V box art is supposed to be revelead this month.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I downloaded the Fire Emblem: Awakening demo on 3DS, and boy am I impressed. I've really enjoy strategy-RPGs since FF Tactics and Front Mission, but I've never considered myself a big fan of the genre. I've tried other Fire Emblem games, but never really fell head-over-heels in love with the franchise. Based on the experience with this demo though (I played it twice, mind you), I'll definitely be purchasing it when it comes out in early Feb.

It retains its roots, and yet has a very impressive modern polish that immediately had me taken. If you're a strategy RPG fan and own a 3DS, definitely check it out.

Here's a lisping nerd explaining the basics of the game and showing off how it plays: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m-jBXN7-s0&feature=youtu.be

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:
I don't think that's true at all, given what I've read about the game through reviews. One of the earliest plots is about how demons are using soda brands to enslave humanity. On the walls, demons wrote: "FUCK YOU, DANTE." It's all pretty wacky, THEY LIVE riffs, by the look of it. Here's what Giant Bomb's Brad Shoemaker had to say about the tone of the game.

Ironically, one of the reasons I could never get into the DmC series before this was that the games seemed to always take its own stupid demons versus angels lore waaaay too seriously.

Yea I would agree with the review you posted as well. Just when you think the game is getting a bit too serious it jumps right back into the craziness. It's just so different from other games like this (including the previous DMC) and just packs so much attitude into the "new" Dante it's hard for me to write it off as anything but cool, bizarre fun. I mean when your running through back alleys of a city and suddenly the bass drops (yes there is some dubstep in the soundtrack) and the whole level starts shifting and the ground is breaking apart while text literally just pops up on walls saying "DIE DANTE" and "GO TO HELL" and your zipplining up and down and upside down ... it's goddamn fun. The graphics are beautiful enough to make it work too.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Don't worry, original DmC fans... America is on the case! https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/get-ninja-theorys-dmc-devil-may-cry-pulled-shelves/4sd9LD6P

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:
Don't worry, original DmC fans... America is on the case! https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/get-ninja-theorys-dmc-devil-may-cry-pulled-shelves/4sd9LD6P

holy shit dude.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Walter said:
I'm speechless. I truly am. Walter you're on a roll here today.

Walter said:
So people hate it that much? .. ''the game actually insults the consumers in-game.'' :ganishka:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQE1bzH4REA

frankencowx said:
How does thew new DmC run? I heard it was locked at 30 fps.
Yes on consoles it's locked at 30fps also PS3 has some frame rate issues,it runs better on Xbox 360 . Though in 25 January it will be released on PC in glorious 60fps.

Viral Harvest

Every Knee Bent Too Shall Break
Ni No Kuni.

The English voice-acting is a bit strange and has some really bizarre artificial accents. I'm not very far, will report back. It's a pretty gorgeous game visually though!

Chaos Rings and Final Fantasy III on android..also this Angry Review of DmC :ganishka: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=o4NaBrFkiDo

^Now that you mention android, has anyone here played Shane Reaction? I developed a slight but temporary addiction a couple of months back.. Believe it or not but it actually has a little story and I love that cute-ish animation. I´ve DL'd it and beat it in what feels like an hour several times since then. I know it sounds totally lame but its freaking addicting :iva: (I havent owned a computer in a long time, that might be an explanation :farnese:)

Oburi

All praise Grail
Today I played the demo for the new Metal Gear Solid: Revengence game. It was ok i guess. Not that impressive. The action is fast and there's some cool moves and ideas (like being able to slice through just about anything and everything in the environment) but it seems way too generic. I feel like I've played this game a zillion times before.

Top Bottom