What Are You Playing?

Oburi

All praise Grail
Aazealh said:
Wait, you say the first game is pretty good, tell the guy to buy the DLCs, but end up saying the series is mediocre? It doesn't makes sense... Anyway, for what it's worth, I was quite disappointed with the first LoS. It has good stuff in it, but when you take it as a whole, "mediocre" is indeed what I'd call it. And the DLCs... Blargh.

lol, yea I mean, I understand the criticisms people have with the series which result in it being mediocre. Personally, I really enjoy it despite all that. A guilty pleasure if you will. So if he's enjoying it (and it seems he is) and plans on playing the sequel, I would suggest playing the other stuff too. They actually have a release of the first game with all the DLC and Mirror of Fate included as well as a demo for the second game for like $40. Its a pretty decent package.

Anyway, I'm currently continuing my ancient run of BioShock that I'd never bothered finishing before starting BioShock Infinite.

I got maybe halfway through the first 2 Bioshock games but lost interest and stopped playing both times. The games just bore me eventually. I want to play Infinite though. Maybe I'll just jump to that.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
lol, yea I mean, I understand the criticisms people have with the series which result in it being mediocre. Personally, I really enjoy it despite all that. A guilty pleasure if you will. So if he's enjoying it (and it seems he is) and plans on playing the sequel, I would suggest playing the other stuff too. They actually have a release of the first game with all the DLC and Mirror of Fate included as well as a demo for the second game for like $40. Its a pretty decent package.

Hehe Ok, yeah I'd say $40 for the whole thing isn't too bad, especially since I enjoyed Mirror of Fate quite a bit despite its (again) confusingly written story. I'm not getting the second game till I've seen the reviews though.

Oburi said:
I got maybe halfway through the first 2 Bioshock games but lost interest and stopped playing both times. The games just bore me eventually. I want to play Infinite though. Maybe I'll just jump to that.

Same here pretty much, but after restarting I'm having a good time with the first one.

I`m a big castlevania fan, loved the old games. Played Symphony of the Night dozens of times... Even ejoyed lamment of innocence and curse of darkness.
What has bothered me the most about Lords of Shadow ( ultimate edition pc + dlc) is the controls and camera.
Most of the time I'd die because the scenery isn't even open. You'd jump somewhere, and then discover that its a no go area, so you'd fall and die. The story is nice, the music is awesome, I liked the fight against the titans, and some of the other boss fights reminded me of dark souls, lots of parrying , dodging etc.
What took away 80% of the fun was how limited the camera was. Many of the game mechanics were repetitive , so were the puzzles.
The chupacabra who steals your powers and equipments ... They could have done that maybe once or twice, but not so often as they did. The voice acting is nice.

I played the demo for Lords of Shadow 2 , and gameplay wise , it felt as though they have really listened to the fans. The mechanics feel much more fluid. The camera is now completely free, and theres much more variety to combat. I'll definitely buy the game

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Speaking of Lords of Shadow 2. Picked it up today. I've been waiting for this for a long time. I really enjoyed the first game, probably more than I should, but after a few hours playing the sequel today, I have to say I'm incredibly underwhelmed.

I really should have expected this, and I kind of did once I knew it was set in modern era, but I held out hope. I'm just really disappointed. Feels like I'm playing DMC.

The open world-ishness is nice, except the extremely vague checkpoint system kind of ruins it. I don't even know if there's a proper way of quitting out of the game besides just going straight to dashboard or turning the system off. Even when I wait for a saving symbol to pop up, I'll still have lost some playtime (a few minutes tops) when I boot up the game again.

I probably just need to spend some more time getting into it, but I can already tell I probably won't be revisiting this game after (if) I beat it.

Oburi said:
The first one was pretty good for the most part. Make sure you play the DLC too as it has some critical information that connects the 2 games. And if you feel up to it you can play Mirror of Fate which takes place between 1 and 2. It had some cool moments and is really short and easy.

I plan on buying Lords Of Shadow 2 soon, even though I'm a little disappointed at what I've seen and heard from the game so far. But then again I'm not expecting greatness. It's a very mediocre series.

I have looked into the DLC and to be honest it doesn't really look all that appealing, especially Mirror of Fate. Plus I really wouldn't go so far to say this reboot is "Mediocre" nothing that I have seen about it as of this moment stands as mediocre or even bland, and the trailers for LOS2 have me rather fired up anyway.

I just played and completed Bioshock Infinite maybe 2 weeks ago. Since then I have read lots of things about the ending, and overall story, trying to convince myself that it was actually a good game. I have since replayed it almost all the way through again on hard difficulty still trying to convince myself that it actually was a great game, yet I'm still not all the way there.

I can't wrap my head around exactly what my problem is, but for the most part I felt as if the whole game was just some long guided tour of an Animatronic Disney Museum, and not just the hall of heroes segment. Its a world that simulates life, yet too often I never got to interact with any of the main antagonists. They're usually just taunting me on the other side of a P.A. system or at best, on the other side of a plate of glass, disappearing or turning into an inanimate corpse before I ever get to face them myself. (with a few exceptions)

The game has a compelling ending, but I personally found it very hard to care about the world of Columbia nor really what both the Comstock voxophones, or his propaganda had to say. This was quite a contrast to the first Bioshock, where I felt instantly drawn in to the world of rapture from the beginning, but by the very end I was starting to lose some interest. Bioshock Infinite has a much stronger ending than beginning, and after 2 play-throughs I definitely think that Finkton was the most boorish and tedious area in the game.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Jaze1618 said:
I just played and completed Bioshock Infinite maybe 2 weeks ago. Since then I have read lots of things about the ending, and overall story, trying to convince myself that it was actually a good game. I have since replayed it almost all the way through again on hard difficulty still trying to convince myself that it actually was a great game, yet I'm still not all the way there.

You aren't alone. That's how a lot of reviewers felt, and that's pretty much how I felt after finishing it. Loved the ending, and there are some just spectacular visual designs throughout the game, but I didn't enjoy actually playing most of it. Combat was a chore, and I've grown to despise games that
save the bulk of their plot until the final sequence. It means you basically flying blind in terms of motivation for the majority of the game, since you know there's a large part that hasn't been revealed to you yet...

Jaze1618 said:
Its a world that simulates life, yet too often I never got to interact with any of the main antagonists. They're usually just taunting me on the other side of a P.A. system or at best, on the other side of a plate of glass, disappearing or turning into an inanimate corpse before I ever get to face them myself. (with a few exceptions)

That's the number one problem I had both BioShock games--moreso with the original, though. I had no association with the people on the other end of the recording/microphone. Added to that, some key dialogue and exposition occurs through the audiologs you'll find while exploring the game, and often they're placed near enemies--which means that you could engage in combat while straining to hear what the fuck this guy on the recording is trying to say about the creation of the world. It's a recipe for disaster. The alternative is to grab audio recordings and I suppose stare at the ceiling until it's done playing.

The game has a compelling ending, but I personally found it very hard to care about the world of Columbia nor really what both the Comstock voxophones, or his propaganda had to say. This was quite a contrast to the first Bioshock, where I felt instantly drawn in to the world of rapture from the beginning,

That could be attributed to this being essentially a follow-up though. By the time you've played Infinite, you've already been treated to this kind of narrative before.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I finished Final Fantasy IX last week, and started playing Demon's Souls. I gave up on it pretty quick, but couldn't get it out of my head, so I researched it a bit more, read some beginner's guides, and jumped back in.

Good for you Rhombaad! I take it this is your first venture into the souls series? I haven't played DeS myself since I never owned a PS3, but I did watch an entire lets play of it last year. Dark Souls is easily my favorite game in the last 6 years, so if you enjoy DeS enough I hope you venture on to DkS next.

I actually just dug out Demon's souls from the heap of games-I-bought-but-havent-played-yet. And while I´ve been well on my way sliding in the disc a couple of times now Im also a bit wary since I just beat Assassins Creed 2 and am eager as hell to move on to Brotherhood and Revelations, either of which I havent bought yet (dont know if the stores still got them in stock or if I should order them online :???:)

Anyway, that ending of AC2, MAN have I been waiting for that moment!
Also whatta total teaser when you get to play as Desmond himself during the credits! And I didnt read the codex pages til I collected them all, which was a nice treat too. Altair is definitely a driving factor, if not almost a backbone of the series. Oh and aside from random treasures the only thing I didnt finish collecting was the feathers, anyone know what happens when you do? First I thought we´d get something regarding the mother but I bet its just a petty achievement or something right?

In a desperate attempt to quench the thirst for more AC I finished the remaining assassination "side quests" but its not enough! :zodd: Think I´ll look up that Lineage in the meantime, anyone seen it?

Btw I skimmed through the wikipedia page and theres apparently a movie in the works :magni: And rumored to direct is my fellow countryman Daniel Espinosa, he did Safe House and Snabba Cash (Easy Money) which was actually pretty good for being a Swedish production. But Im not exactly sure AC is his field, well screw that, I straight up dont think his the man. Like someone on IMDB so eloquently put it "too epic to fuck up." But from what I gather it seems Ubisoft is pretty hellbent on getting an accurate adaptation. Michael Fassbender is apparently gonna be Desmond. Perhaps the actor should be a bit younger but I guess its okay. What do you guys think?

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Johnstantine said:
Just started playing Stick of Truth. It's tons'a fun.
Same here, although it feels kinda more like an engine demo than a game. I feel as if it could have spent another year in development at least. Not that I've beat it yet, but I've heard it's only about 10 hours long.

I finished the stick of Truth, played all the quests, got everything ( as far as I can tell) I think I logged some 15 hours into it. Its a great game, but way too short. The joy in it is the dialogue and the comedy. I kept having fits of laughter the whole time. I won't give away any spoilers, but pretty much every joke or episode of south park is in there. There are lots of items , just the descriptions had me cracking up. Its all absurd, and its all over the top.

I feel like it could have been longer, sure. On the other hand, it must be hard to get that much dialogue into a game without it getting re-used. The "town" is pretty small as well. I hope they add DLC later on , or at least give it a larger sequel.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Dar Klink said:
Same here, although it feels kinda more like an engine demo than a game. I feel as if it could have spent another year in development at least. Not that I've beat it yet, but I've heard it's only about 10 hours long.

Any game could. SoT had been delayed for over a year while they retooled it.

I just finished playing Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete for the Playstation

Haven't played it in a long time since I bought it back in the early 2000s. One of my favorite RPG games, I love all the work that was put into making it, including Working Designs translations and extra goodies that came with the game.

Yea Lunar: SSSC was one of my top 5 games of the 32bit era. I remember getting to see a little of the original in action, while over at a friends house watching his older brother play it for Sega CD. However,, I really felt like the 2 Lunar: Complete edition games for the PSX rocked it.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Johnstantine said:
Any game could. SoT had been delayed for over a year while they retooled it.

I just finished it tonight and the game really does feel like it's missing a lot of content. Canada is extremely short and linear, you reach the max level extremely fast, and there's little hints at stuff I feel was left out, like Randy maybe being a buddy. Overall it was a really fun game, the references to the episodes were well done, the general humor went a bit too far at times, but it's to be expected, and Canada, despite being disappointingly short, was hilarious and fun to visit.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Jaze1618 said:
Yea Lunar: SSSC was one of my top 5 games of the 32bit era. I remember getting to see a little of the original in action, while over at a friends house watching his older brother play it for Sega CD. However,, I really felt like the 2 Lunar: Complete edition games for the PSX rocked it.

Lunar on Sega CD was my very first RPG, and it holds a special place in my heart. Even though the PSX upgrades were pretty, they changed the atmosphere quite a bit. I'll always hold the original in a higher place.

I haven't been playing much recently, I'm sort of saving my appetite for Dark Souls II (PC) in April.

Johnstantine said:
Picked up Titanfall earlier. Enjoyed the beta enough to take the next step. Super fun so far.

Yes, Titanfall is definitely unique. I'm a big fan of the game mechanics so far, it's pretty rad if I do say so myself.

I'm also playing The Witcher: Enhanced Edition on PC. I would highly recommend it, don't know why I never decided to pick it up until now. And I'm playing through the Half-Life series again, hoping that Half-Life 3 will be announced one of these days..

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vodnak said:
Yes, Titanfall is definitely unique.

I like what I've seen of Titanfall, but unique? Is it...? I've heard it described by many as essentially Call of Duty with a mech factor and parkour elements strapped on. It is, afterall, from the guys who made Call of Duty.

Walter said:
I like what I've seen of Titanfall, but unique? Is it...? I've heard it described by many as essentially Call of Duty with a mech factor and parkour elements strapped on. It is, afterall, from the guys who made Call of Duty.

I don't know if it's a clone of CoD with mech and parkour elements, although those are certainly present. CoD is a very individual based game in my opinion; most matches involve no tactics of any kind, whereas in Titanfall you need to coordinate with your team to complete the objective.

It reminds me of Tribes, and Quake 3 more so than it does CoD. Plus, it's using the Source engine... which is a good thing in my opinion. It's different, it's not like CoD, it's not like Battlefield either really. Perhaps it isn't unique enough to be in a class of it's own but, it's different enough to where I can't categorize it.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I started playing Final Fantasy X | X-2 HD Remaster yesterday. So far, it's a very nice upgrade from the PS2 version, which I had a lot of fun playing back in the day. Tidus's voice is still annoying, but it's not as bad as I remember it being.

Top Bottom