What Are You Playing?

Been playing this game online where you're a wormhole and it's up to you whether or not you want to converse with ships and aliens passing by. It's a bit depressing but interesting with human reactions.

http://ultrakurtzwelle.itch.io/you-are-the-wormhole

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Assassin's Creed IV: Blag Flag - Awesome, I'm a pirate AND an assassin, I can run, climb, and hide anywhere, look at me steer this boat on beautiful clear blue wate... wait, what the fuck is this Abstergo Industries Animus shit? So, I'm a guy playing a video game about a guy playing a video game!? Is this a gimmick in all the Assassin's Creeds? Well then, Arkham Origins is ok so far, as far as I can tell it's not all a Batcave simulation or a dream. =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Assassin's Creed IV: Blag Flag - Awesome, I'm a pirate AND an assassin, I can run, climb, and hide anywhere, look at me steer this boat on beautiful clear blue wate...

Glad you're enjoying it. I didn't finish AC4, because the game is just so fucking huge... But I had a blast with it.

wait, what the fuck is this Abstergo Industries Animus shit? So, I'm a guy playing a video game about a guy playing a video game!? Is this a gimmick in all the Assassin's Creeds?

It's a new element, relatively. There has always been an animus and an Abstergo. But the way it's presented in AC4 is actually a pretty funny new wrinkle to the franchise after being so fucking DEADLY SERIOUS about their lore in the previous games. They're clearly trying to shed that aspect of the series by sort of making fun of it in this way.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
Assassin's Creed IV: Blag Flag - Awesome, I'm a pirate AND an assassin, I can run, climb, and hide anywhere, look at me steer this boat on beautiful clear blue wate... wait, what the fuck is this Abstergo Industries Animus shit? So, I'm a guy playing a video game about a guy playing a video game!? Is this a gimmick in all the Assassin's Creeds? Well then, Arkham Origins is ok so far, as far as I can tell it's not all a Batcave simulation or a dream. =)

AO needs to be its own game and not part of the Arkham series.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
Glad you're enjoying it. I didn't finish AC4, because the game is just so fucking huge... But I had a blast with it.

It's a new element, relatively. There has always been an animus and an Abstergo. But the way it's presented in AC4 is actually a pretty funny new wrinkle to the franchise after being so fucking DEADLY SERIOUS about their lore in the previous games. They're clearly trying to shed that aspect of the series by sort of making fun of it in this way.

I'm not into it so far, still stuck in the doldrums of the early, "You gotta sneak this the right way or game over!" missions that pretty much equal no fun. I want to captain pirate ships and fight sharks, so I imagine I'll have more fun when it opens up a bit.

Johnstantine said:
AO needs to be its own game and not part of the Arkham series.

That's sort of how I approach it. It's actually kind of cool because it's a more realistic visual style rather than exaggerated cartoon style of the previous games. It's like Batman inserted into any modern stealth/combat game, which is pretty cool. The batsuit definitely looks more militeristic and combat fuctional (the batjet is also basically just a jet =), and even though it looks like the same map as Arkham City, they defintely skinned it more like a real city (overall like they added a dash of The Dark Knight movie style to the mix). I also like the Christmas Eve gimmick better as an excuse for why Gotham isn't more populated. I even like that it's unburdened with the expectations of the Animated Series voice actors because it's more its own version. Batman still sounds quite a bit like Conroy when speaking normally, but the interrogations are more Bale-esque, which were the best thing about his Batman. So, it's all sort of working for me so far. One major technical complaint: you have to turn on the TV to switch to controller only mode, which is inherently stupid and self-defeating.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I'm not into it so far, still stuck in the doldrums of the early, "You gotta sneak this the right way or game over!" missions that pretty much equal no fun. I want to captain pirate ships and fight sharks, so I imagine I'll have more fun when it opens up a bit.

There were enough of those in AC3 to make me quit the game altogether. Such terrible game design, it actually makes me angry. Who thought that was fun? It's all the absolute worst aspects of stealth gameplay log jammed into one boring, tedious mission. Multiple times.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Groovy Metal Fist said:
I thought you were a dedicated PC Supremacist.

It's more just my tendency than a belief. I haven't owned a console other than Wii in 10 years.

aquarake

8-bit Wizard
Started Kingdom Hearts 1.5 ReMIX. Man, playing the first KH after so many years is bringing back some serious memories.

Jarome

The Destroyer Of Worlds
Been playing Divinity: Original Sin for about 2 weeks now, I'm totally addicted... :magni:

divinity-original-sin-jeux-video-fond-ecran-wallpaper-1.jpg

Tama said:
Got my friend Chrono Trigger for the Super Nintendo this week for a birthday present. We were both playing it all day, such a blast!

Chrono Trigger is possibly the best RPG ever, played it countless times, even got the DS port and if your really into the story, I suggest you try "Crimson Echoes" or "Flame of Eternity" which are two fan-made game/hacks.

BTW: If you wanna get your mind blow (once your done with the game) go out on Youtube and check out this video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-Sp62q2FAY

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Jarome said:
What's so terrible about this theory Aazealh? I mean, it sounds pretty legit to me! o_O

Well putting aside the fact the guy sounds super annoying, I think he's stretching a lot of those connexions. Now there are a few obvious ones, but like he says that's not specific to Chrono Trigger, it's common in a lot of games. To conclude that Chrono is meant to be a representation of Jesus Christ is not very serious to me.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Well putting aside the fact the guy sounds super annoying, I think he's stretching a lot of those connexions. Now there are a few obvious ones, but like he says that's not specific to Chrono Trigger, it's common in a lot of games. To conclude that Chrono is meant to be a representation of Jesus Christ is not very serious to me.

And I'd say there's about a 1-2% chance that the guy is actually serious. It oozes obnoxiousness, to the point that I can't accept that he's not trying to sound stupid.

aquarake

8-bit Wizard
Walter said:
Bad memories I'd guess.

Heh. When it comes to the platforming, yes, definitely. Otherwise, however, I did enjoy revisiting the game.

Been replaying Lunar SSSC on PSX. Also started The Last of Us on PS4.

Top Bottom