What Are You Playing?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
Grinding through Shadow of Mordor. Easily the best game I've played this year.

It's certainly not a reflection of the game (which I still want to play), but WB is using some super sleazy practices to promote it. Such as refusing advanced copies to established game review sites (the standard practice for promotion) and instead regulating those copies to those who abide by their terms for marketing, namely YouTubers and streamers. Here's a few select terms these guys had to abide by:

"Videos must promote positive sentiment about the game."

"The company has final approval of the video before any video goes live. At least 48 hours before any video goes live. They review it, they suggest changes, and you must make these changes per the company's direction."

Basically, crowdsourcing the game's promotion and enacting complete editorial control (not unlike what Sauron would do) over material from otherwise average joes. Average joes who were effectively under corporate influence to push their branding messaging.

Meanwhile, guys are complaining that girls are ruining video games. :schierke:

Read all about this stuff here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/9782-Shadow-of-Mordors-Promotion-Deals-with-Plaid-Social

I'm still playing dark souls 2. Alien isolation was on my radar but sounds like sega has indeed struck again, so my next purchase will be evil within and borderlands: pre sequel. Couch co op never gets old for us. Buddy got shadow of mordor, so I'll give that a go when hes done.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
bandofthehawk said:
I'm still playing dark souls 2. Alien isolation was on my radar but sounds like sega has indeed struck again, so my next purchase will be evil within and borderlands: pre sequel. Couch co op never gets old for us. Buddy got shadow of mordor, so I'll give that a go when hes done.

I ended up buying the DLC season pass, but haven't played more than a few minutes of it. How would you rate them compared to the base game?

That's tough. I was disappointed initially with another recycled boss, but the level design is very intriguing. It feels like it belongs with the core game. The souls series is one of my favorites, so I'm a bit biased. If I gave the vanilla game 5 out of 5, I'd throw the dlc a 4 out of 5. Its such a long game as it stands, but if you're on your second or third play through the bosses felt a bit cheap without allies. Extremes with dungeons reminiscent of labyrinth, deep chasms of fire, and winter so thick you literally can't see, it feels unique.

I know I've chimed in before, but as someone who was ultimately disappointed with the feeling DS2 left me with, in comparison to the MAGNUM OPUS that was DS1, I feel like the first to parts of the DLC have been better than just about anything in the main game. The level design is leagues above just about anything from the main game. Each area is sprawling with so much to do. Similar to how expansive the Forest of the Fallen Giants felt the first time through, except even better.

I would even dare to say that these are closer to matching the greatness of Sens Fortress more than anything from the DS2 main game. But that's just one jaded mans opinion.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Sankari said:
Playing shadow of mordor, its fun. Its not as fancy and literary as tolkien envisioned it, buts as a game, its superb.
Also, amazed by the graphics. (PC with HD pack)

That's good to know. I plan on playing it at some point.

Demons souls will always be my favorite, but in all honesty its a toss up for darks 1 and 2. I enjoy a hub area, though I won't argue the layout of interconnecting areas was better in 1. I remember the first time I was getting mauled by the maneaters, The Four Kings making me question my enjoyment, and the lost sinner making me lose hope. Those bosses stand out the most. Fume knight and Elana worked me over but I kept jumping into ng after ng and didn't level nearly as much as I should have. May be blasphemy but it all feels like one big wonderful experience blended into my memories.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Assassin's Creed II, heard it was the best in the series from my most trusted sources (basically Aaz & Wally) and I love the Italian history. The $5 price tag this week didn't hurt either.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
Assassin's Creed II, heard it was the best in the series from my most trusted sources (basically Aaz & Wally) and I love the Italian history. The $5 price tag this week didn't hurt either.

I've tried unbelievably hard to get into that series. I'm never able to make it past the first sequence because the gameplay (to me) is ridiculously boring.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Despite the fact that I have almost no free time for gaming these days, I recently started up Baldur's Gate 2 again. I've tried to get through this game about 4 times over the past 15 years, but either lost interest or got too frustrated with how shitty the opening dungeon is. This time, I'm going to give it a real effort and make it further before I inevitably put it back down. :ganishka:

I remember when I first showed off Chrono Trigger to a friend, he criticized an element of the battle system whereby the characters don't actually strike the enemies. They swing, and the enemies take damage with a number. I remember thinking it was a pretty superficial criticism. Well, despite that, I have a problem with the way only 1/6 attacks seem to land in a hit in a D&D (2nd edition) game. How fucking hard is it to hit a bat, you morons? I'm trying to get over this, because I really love other elements of tabletop-style games. Namely the storytelling in them. But the combat, I don't think I'll ever get 100% used to.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:
Despite the fact that I have almost no free time for gaming these days, I recently started up Baldur's Gate 2 again. I've tried to get through this game about 4 times over the past 15 years, but either lost interest or got too frustrated with how shitty the opening dungeon is. This time, I'm going to give it a real effort and make it further before I inevitably put it back down. :ganishka:

Haha, I've had the same problem. I gave up for good years ago but for a long time I kept trying and trying to get into to that damn game. I don't think I ever got through the first dungeon.

I completely agree with you about getting over the combat elements in order to enjoy the great stories some games have. I remember when I first got into jrpg's when I was younger and I had the same complaint at first about turn based combat because I was accustomed to fps or fighting games or whatever. I quickly got over that though when I realized how rewarding some games can be with a bigger focus on story and characters. Chrono Trigger is great example. Suikoden 1 and 2 were the others that just totally blew me away.

Having said that, I've determined that Baldur's Gate is just not for me :ganishka:

Anyway, I've hardly had any time to play games and my backlog just keeps getting bigger. The only thing I've been playing is NHL 14 (hockey is the only sport game I'll play) because it's something easy that the girlfriend can play along with and it's pretty fun. But I also think I'm gonna clear some time to get The Evil Within this week since it didn't get the abysmal reviews I was expecting. At this point for survival horror games if it doesn't completely suck, then it must be GREAT!

I love me some Dark Souls but I have to say the Evil Within has to top it in difficulty. In both good and bad ways. I'm not even up to chapter 12 and I'm at wits end with this fucking game. I love the games vibe, I like the combat system even. It's just damn hard. Following suit with Dark Souls, I hear there is a new game+ with harder enemies. I can't imagine that hell. At least in Dark Souls you feel like you have a shot. You can level up, grind, and partner up even. This games says "fuck you" to all that shit. It's both terrifying and frustrating.

Some how, I manage to keep coming back to this damn game. At no given point in the 10 hours of game play Ive put in have I had more than 10 rounds of ammo in any of my 4 weapons. It's always just enough to get you out of trouble and advance in the game. That's not an understatement. You only get "just enough" to advance. The game is built to make you feel at all times feel insecure. You will never have enough ammo, life, or upgrades to get you through this hell without being on the edge of your seat. This game embodies literal survival horror.

Remember in Resident evil 4, where Leon and Louis hold up in that house and fight off a crowd of villagers, or that part where you're in the castle with ashley and there is a giant room where you got to use the cranks to get over the indoor pool? Those moments in the first play through are pretty difficult, even when using various exploits. Evil Within is entirely difficult like those RE4 sections the whole way through and there are no exploits. No corner to put your back to as you fight waves of enemies off. No point, because you never have enough ammo to make a stand. If you weren't a fan of running away in the RE series, this game almost makes it the best option. Do I recommend this game? I do if you're up for a great challenge. I can't promise that beating it will be fulfilling. At the moment I hate this game. I don't think even beating will justify the hell its been putting me through.

Also, I'm a long time video game player. RE4 is my 2nd all time favorite game. I consider myself a expert at it. Evil Within plays almost the same, but just turns everything up to 10. This is game is my freaking nightmare at the moment. It even has some great scares, but over all its just difficult. Slowly but surely I'm making my way through it. Dark Souls you expect to die a lot. When I got this game... I didn't expect to die as much as I am while playing it. I've died dozens of different ways, and probably itching towards 80 or so deaths ten hours in. I don't know if that feels right for a survival horror game. In the RE remake for gamecube I died maybe 18 times tops, and that I consider moderately difficult for its time. I give team Tango props, this game is definitely bringing justice back to survival horror.

Apologies, I been needing to vent about this game. I need a beer.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Sounds like it's a game worthy of the title Survival Horror. I never played RE4, but RE5 definitely didn't fit in the genre. I'm worried that the difficulty you're talking about is cheap. I was interested in that game, but I have no desire to play it if I'm going to be cheesed to death with poorly designed scenarios.

Speaking of survival horror games, I played P.T. which is the
Silent Hill(s)
teaser/demo thing (it's really short), and I have to say, it's by far one of the best in the genre. If you get a chance, everyone should play it...in the dark...alone. No movie or video game (or even a lot of real life experiences) has ever terrified me as much as that game has.

Delta Phi said:
Sounds like it's a game worthy of the title Survival Horror. I never played RE4, but RE5 definitely didn't fit in the genre. I'm worried that the difficulty you're talking about is cheap. I was interested in that game, but I have no desire to play it if I'm going to be cheesed to death with poorly designed scenarios.

Speaking of survival horror games, I played P.T. which is the
Silent Hill(s)
teaser/demo thing (it's really short), and I have to say, it's by far one of the best in the genre. If you get a chance, everyone should play it...in the dark...alone. No movie or video game (or even a lot of real life experiences) has ever terrified me as much as that game has.

It's not cheap in a poor design way. The combat system is completely fine. It's just hard, or more so, it makes you "feel" like there is no hope. It's just a well made hard game. Although it gives you very little, you do get "just enough" to get by. I don't call that cheap design, that's what it takes to put the survival horror into the game. Like Dark Souls, you die... And you learn. After...7 or 8 tries you figure shit out and move on into the game praying for the next check point. It's kinda fascinating really. I guess there really hasn't been a survival horror game that has put me on edge like this one has in a very long time. Definitely worth checking out if you're a resident evil or silent hill fan. This game just really caught me off guard.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for giving your take on it, Death May Die. The reviews had given me the impression that the game wasn't really worth playing.

Delta Phi said:
Sounds like it's a game worthy of the title Survival Horror. I never played RE4, but RE5 definitely didn't fit in the genre.

I don't think RE4 really fits the "survival horror" genre. But it's the father of all TPS action games, and as such you should do yourself the favor of playing it, despite the bad story. As for "survival horror" itself, I believe the first three Resident Evil games are a requirement. The rest can be dispensed with.

I can't honestly say I'll pick up evil within after all I've read and seen at my buddies. He told me he started over and changed the difficulty to casual and its fun, but he isn't past chapter 2. I'll borrow it, but it looked like something made for ps3 and insane difficulty without a reason behind it. Games that are challenging like ninja gaiden and dark souls are also made to master, while this sounds like a mess. Beat silent hill 2 hd and pt this week again. Playing Shadow of Mordor now.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Finished Shadow of Mordor. I really enjoyed the shit out of that game.

However, I don't believe I'll be playing it again. The gameplay was a lot like the Arkham games, but didn't have as much to offer as those did (which I play religiously). It was still an awesome game, I just don't see myself revisiting it in the future.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Well, going by what you guys have said in this thread, I'll be buying Shadows of Mordor before The Evil Within.

Thanks for the info guys.

Top Bottom