What Are You Playing?

Finally beat Evil Within, died 89 times. Give it a 7/10. Beautiful game, great vibe, respectable follow from Resident Evil 4. Very hard, unless you play casual mode. Story not entirely original, but executed pretty well, side stories fall off the map unfinished. I won't be playing through it again the the foreseeable future.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Got the Tomb Raider reboot on steam and it's really impressive. It sort of reminds me of RE4, MGS3, and the Arkham games, or even Zelda and Shadow of the Colossus, but it's a bit more simple and less grandiose than any of those (or streamlined if that glass is half full to you; I don't waste a lot of time sorting my inventory anyway). It's good fun, looks gorgeous and is immersive, but while the gameplay has some nuance there's not a whole lot to it so far as technique goes. Basically, push the action or fire button to make everything happen, and sometimes you feel like a spectator (in one instance I actually tried to burn myself on some hot pipes I was supposedly nudging past but I don't think I could). Though, with these graphics and the dynamic camera angles it's not bad too look at anyway. It's also not particularly difficult so far, other than the quick time events where you have a split second to hit the correct button or it's instant death (I must be getting slow in my old age, because you're seemingly dead if you actually wait long enough to see the button, fortunately it's usually Y =). The heavily armed enemies are comically over-matched by this petite 20-something archeologist ("Ahhh, she's a good shot!" lol) and really should consider charging in armored with guns blazing, not machetes. These guys are literally bringing knives to a gun fight. I also enjoy that I'm almost exclusively killing burly, loud, obnoxious men as Lara. The disparity and threat they pose is quite harrowing if you play it straight, and funny when you imagine it as a metaphor for the female gamer/developer fighting alone in the wilderness against hordes of neckbeards! :ganishka:

I'm playing the evil within and lords of the fallen. I must say they were wise to release these two when they did. Evil within is about as bad as the suffering. If re4 were made today and lacked focus in every category with random storytelling that will no doubt lead to something like the movie the cell, it would be this game. Controls, ai, graphics, and camera are all lacking. Its not all terrible but its among my least favorite horror games I can recal. Lords of the fallen is exactly what I thought it would be and thats too bad. A much easier version of the souls series with bad voice acting and no real sense of choice in the story. Sure, you'll help someone in the game but the character is fixed as a lazy pos regardless of what you choose. Four bosses in and they all have the same look. Dragon age is only two weeks away.

Skipped my swim so I could play the games on here - https://archive.org/details/internetarcade

I remember some but many are new to me, having a blast so far!

Griffith

Wally treated me to a copy of Gone Home so I treated myself to a late night playthrough to completion. More than the story that unfolds, I liked the exploration aspect, and the fact that it really was just a slice of life of an "average" 90's family.
No surprise ghost attack or tragic twist at the end; I was dreading what scene I might find in that attic, but it was just affirmation, yay
! Great attention to detail and very authentic, even playing as a family member I felt pangs of guilt snooping through every available aspect of these people's personal lives like a voyeur. I think the sequel needs to be all about dad
reviving his paperback sci fi career
! :guts:

On the other end of the spectrum is Resident Evil 6, which I've already put like 25 hours into and I'm only about halfway through the campaigns. It's multiple perspectives and play modes are very ambitious, the story aspects are surprisingly tolerable, and it has a lot of bang for your buck, at least the bucks I paid, but I can see why reviews were mixed because it is also very repetitive and basically just more of the same you got in RE4, 5, and Revelations. Though, if you haven't played those already this is kind of like all of them in one with some classic Resident Evil nostalgia mixed in. You can see the aim was to make an ultimate Resident Evil game. Still, with that in mind, this is the definition of done to death, and it's probably time to overhaul this series again.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Wally treated me to a copy of Gone Home so I treated myself to a late night playthrough to completion. More than the story that unfolds, I liked the exploration aspect, and the fact that it really was just a slice of life of an "average" 90's family.
No surprise ghost attack or tragic twist at the end; I was dreading what scene I might find in that attic, but it was just affirmation, yay
! Great attention to detail and very authentic, even playing as a family member I felt pangs of guilt snooping through every available aspect of these people's personal lives like a voyeur. I think the sequel needs to be all about dad
reviving his paperback sci fi career
! :guts:

Really glad you enjoyed it. PMing you some spoiler questions now :schnoz:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
On the other end of the spectrum is Resident Evil 6, which I've already put like 25 hours into and I'm only about halfway through the campaigns. It's multiple perspectives and play modes are very ambitious, the story aspects are surprisingly tolerable, and it has a lot of bang for your buck, at least the bucks I paid, but I can see why reviews were mixed because it is also very repetitive and basically just more of the same you got in RE4, 5, and Revelations. Though, if you haven't played those already this is kind of like all of them in one with some classic Resident Evil nostalgia mixed in. You can see the aim was to make an ultimate Resident Evil game. Still, with that in mind, this is the definition of done to death, and it's probably time to overhaul this series again.

Interesting, do think it'd be worth playing for me if I got it for like $5?

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Interesting, do think it'd be worth playing for me if I got it for like $5?

I wondered if you had played it, and for that price it's worth it for Leon's campaign alone (they brought back his horrible wisecracks =). I enjoyed Chris' as well, which I dubbed Resident Evil: Zombie Warfare (starring Chris Redfield and basically a younger version of Chris Redfield). It starts to sag by the third campaign despite the addition of a Nemesis-like element, especially the latter parts where the stories all converge, because you're covering similar, if not the same, ground for the third time and the novelty of the multiple perspectives has worn off (I'm still in the final quarter of the third campaign). The gimmick doesn't feel like a ripoff just to recycle content though because each campaign is still quite varied and the game is huge and basically like four in one. Similar size aside though, the drawback to the campaigns individually and overall is that it's a lot of jumping back and forth in time and space like Revelations on steroids. It robs it of basic continuity, and the epic, seemingly endless, experience of RE4 where you really feel like you've been on a wild and grueling adventure (plus, everything was just fresh in that game, whereas almost nothing here is). This one feels more like a movie series by comparison. Like I said, if you can get it cheap do it just for the Leon portion. Overall, if you liked its predecessors you'll enjoy the game, but you'll also get tired of this style if you weren't already.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I had to force myself to finish RE4. It started off cool enough as Griff said with Leons story. But holy shit it got so damn repetitive by the end it was grind to get through. From what I remember the end was anticlimactic and the "villains" were weak and generic.

I just picked Bioshock Infinite. I always told myself that would eventually play it and now that I managed to get for a crazy cheap price the time has come to give it a shot. Now the question is with all the available DLC do I bother spending the extra $ to get FULL experience? I think I'll just play it straight through once and judge it form there.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
I had to force myself to finish RE4. It started off cool enough as Griff said with Leons story. But holy shit it got so damn repetitive by the end it was grind to get through. From what I remember the end was anticlimactic and the "villains" were weak and generic.

You are officially the first person I've ever read griping about RE4. Maybe it just doesn't hold up? It was a phenomenal experience 8 years ago.

Griffith

Walter said:
You are officially the first person I've ever read griping about RE4. Maybe it just doesn't hold up? It was a phenomenal experience 8 years ago.

There must be a mistake, maybe he meant RE6? I think RE4 is still objectively better than any of its follow ups, technical improvements and all. The setting and atmosphere is still just so awesome, right down to the end credits, and it just keeps throwing cool shit at you throughout. Most great games are lucky to have one big "ah ha" moment, but RE4 is full of them. In retrospect it's interesting that they unceremoniously dumped all the Umbrella conspiracy crap to wild success... only to bring it all back in a big way in subsequent games. At the time I thought they were moving on and going more of an X-Files route.

Resident evil 4 is still one of the best games in the last 10 years. Re6 is the worst I've played of that series. Easily. I bought dragon age inquisition and am loving a deep rpg once again. The game is HUGE. I'm not too much into the lore, so a little lost in the story. It feels bigger than skyrim and will keep me busy for quite some time.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
bandofthehawk (Salem) said:
I bought dragon age inquisition and am loving a deep rpg once again.

Been playing that to my detriment lately. I'm really enjoying it even though it's my first DA game and the backstory is a bit overwhelming. Regardless, it feels good to play a Bioware game again though.

Delta Phi said:
Been playing that to my detriment lately. I'm really enjoying it even though it's my first DA game and the backstory is a bit overwhelming. Regardless, it feels good to play a Bioware game again though.

I've played the other 2, just not to their entirety. I must admit I didn't imagine such fun would come with so much confusion as well :???:
I'm the Quanari (spelling?) Mage. I'm sure it'll change but even the fetch quests are entertaining to me. KOTOR was my first with bioware and I've been a fan since.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Griffith said:
There must be a mistake, maybe he meant RE6? I think RE4 is still objectively better than any of its follow ups, technical improvements and all. The setting and atmosphere is still just so awesome, right down to the end credits, and it just keeps throwing cool shit at you throughout. Most great games are lucky to have one big "ah ha" moment, but RE4 is full of them. In retrospect it's interesting that they unceremoniously dumped all the Umbrella conspiracy crap to wild success... only to bring it all back in a big way in subsequent games. At the time I thought they were moving on and going more of an X-Files route.
Walter said:

OOPS!!! Yea my fault. I meant 6. Not RE4. lol

Griffith said:
I guess that depends on how much you like RE5. I wasn't a fan.

As someone begging for couch co op last gen, I loved it. Was it resident evil of old or creepy and inventive like re4, lol no way. It was great for an old school gamer with a girlfriend at the time who had almost no option for such play. Think I played that one twice through. I made it 2 chapters into re6 and took it back. Think I was expecting too much.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
NightCrawler said:
Payday 2? Who plays it? Is it worth it? I want me some good co-op.

It is a game that definitely has it's fair share of flaws... but that said, I do have 133 hours logged so it's definitely doing something right. My only real warning if you're looking to get into it would be that it takes a fair amount of grinding to become a viable partner in crime, and the meat of the game is sandwiched by more grinding if you decide to go infamous. You start out with shitty weapons and no skills, and expect to get kicked from games a lot for simply not knowing all the ins and outs of a heist.

If you have at least two other friends you can easily avoid a lot of the early pitfalls, and once you unlock guns and mods and start climbing the skill trees random online does get better.

Griffith

As someone begging for couch co op last gen, I loved it. Was it resident evil of old or creepy and inventive like re4, lol no way. It was great for an old school gamer with a girlfriend at the time who had almost no option for such play. Think I played that one twice through.

Well, I got it off Steam the other day since I never really owned it, and while the graphics and atmosphere hold up it otherwise it hasn't aged well. Particularly the pre-Revelations controls and, well... the optics, especially in light of current events. Yowza!

I made it 2 chapters into re6 and took it back. Think I was expecting too much.

I'll say, do you mean the second campaign? Otherwise, you really played RE5 twice but couldn't stick it out past the 2nd chapter of Leon's campaign, which sees not only the return of Leon but zombies and a Raccoon City type setting, going so far as return the game)? That's pretty fickle considering the only thing really wrong with 6 is it's redundancy, and you didn't get far enough for that unless you already burned out on 5 and Revelations.

All I remember is beating leons campaign and another. Either way the game felt a complete mess and milking the last fragments of an engine that needed redirection. I know 3 others personally who felt the same. Had this campy arcade feel.

Top Bottom