What Are You Playing?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
"HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA." :ganishka: (seriously, that's all I really remember from that game)

How does it hold up?

Oh, God, that part. It was nostalgic playing Final Fantasy X again. I really enjoyed it when I played it back in 2002 (the voice acting not-so-much, but I thought the game was a lot of fun), and I'd never played Final Fantasy X-2 before. X-2 was okay; parts of it were really fun, but it didn't feel quite as polished as the first one. I'm really looking forward to playing XII. I've heard it's one of the best of the series (I seem to remember Aaz saying that it was his favorite).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
I'm really looking forward to playing XII. I've heard it's one of the best of the series (I seem to remember Aaz saying that it was his favorite).

Did I say that? I'm not sure I'd call it my favorite, but I think the gameplay is superior to previous games in the series, that's for sure.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
I think the gameplay is superior to previous games in the series, that's for sure.

A monumental achievement :troll:

I've played about 10 hours of FFXII, and I really enjoyed it. Howver, I can't remember the specifics (this was years ago), but something about the meandering story weighed the experience down for me, and I never ended up finishing it.

I'd revisit it were it to come to Steam or something ( 7, 8 and 13 are on it, so why not?)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
something about the meandering story weighed the experience down for me, and I never ended up finishing it.

Yeah, unfortunately the story is...not very good. The ending in particular was quite underwhelming from what I remember.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
Did I say that? I'm not sure I'd call it my favorite, but I think the gameplay is superior to previous games in the series, that's for sure.

I think so. It was years ago, so I could be misremembering it.

Walter said:
I've played about 10 hours of FFXII, and I really enjoyed it. Howver, I can't remember the specifics (this was years ago), but something about the meandering story weighed the experience down for me, and I never ended up finishing it.

I'd revisit it were it to come to Steam or something ( 7, 8 and 13 are on it, so why not?)

That's too bad about the meandering story. I imagine it'll come to Steam one day.

Aazealh said:
Yeah, unfortunately the story is...not very good. The ending in particular was quite underwhelming from what I remember.

That sucks. Well, I'll see what I think of it. :void:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
I think so. It was years ago, so I could be misremembering it.

I think the post below is probably what you're remembering:

Aazealh said:
Haha, really? FFXII was the one I enjoyed the most since FFVII. I didn't play through FFX-2, and the only reason I bought XII was because I knew the gameplay had been changed to a more MMOG-styled one. I think doing that was a brilliant idea, and it saved the franchise for me. Plus, it actually legitimize FFXI as a numbered part of the series.

Overall I believe my stance has remained the same throughout the years. See those links for more examples.

http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=9347.msg155405#msg155405
http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=11046.msg176782#msg176782

And to be on topic, I recently played the first episode of Resident Evil: Revelations 2. Finally, my old dream come true, the return of Barry! :ubik:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
I think the post below is probably what you're remembering:

Ah, that's the one. Strange, what time does to memory.

XionHorsey said:
Chrono Trigger, a blast from the past.

Nice. I can't tell you how many hours of my life I've spent playing that game.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
m said:
Ditto. It's actually my favorite game.

It's among my favorites as well. Though recently I had the realization that a lot of people's favorite games of all time are from that era (Mario World's still one of the best Marios; Zelda 3's probably the best Zelda; FFs 4-7 are the height of the series; MK never got better than 2; DooMs 1-2 are among the best FPS ever, and on and on it goes). And if you had told me as a teenager that it's pretty much downhill from here, I'd be pretty fucking bummed.

Oburi

All praise Grail
For me, the early Suikoden games, especially Suikoden 2, were the best of that era. Suikoden 2 is probably in my top 5 games ever.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
So, I recently made a few purchases during Steam's summer sale, the biggest of which was Shadow of Mordor, which I'd been wanting to get my hands on since its release. I'm really enjoying the atmosphere and the combat, but died about 3 times in the one hour I played. :judo: I haven't played any of the Arkham games, which might leave me at a slight disadvantage here, but I thought that it might be something like Dark Souls, which wasn't nearly as hard when starting out, at least to me.

My main problem is that even while sneaking around constantly, I get caught and end up bum-rushed with 5 or 6 guys at a time, plus one of those named fellows (a few of which have gotten some nice promotions thanks to me! :azan: ). Hopefully I'll get the hang of thing soon, because despite the setbacks, I'm enjoying the ride so far! :guts:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
I've been playing the Witcher 3 for the past month and I'm enjoying it. The story seems so-so, but in all fairness I haven't really done too much aside from doing contracts, which I really like.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Johnstantine said:
Have been enjoying Arkham Knight. Been waiting for it for years, so it's nice to have it finally.

It shows too with all the care they took with it (I'm it playing on PC, somewhat miraculously I guess). :carcus:

Kidding aside, it's been, what, about a year an a half since Origins? Which was already the third iteration of this same game (don't bother differentiating between developers, because the games honestly don't). You haven't been waiting to play it for years, we have been playing it for years! Anyway, that said, it's graphically impressive (even with everything turned down), the batmobile is a hoot (GTA as Batman), but besides that the mechanics all feel as fresh as the fourth time and I'm really unsure of the story elements; the abrupt opening and hit and miss dialogue and gags already has me thinking of Dini's absence. We'll see though, it'll likely still be the best "Batman simulator" yet, even if it's not the most charming.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
HTML:
<iframe width="650" height="366" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QhQ9NbuAOwI?rel=0&showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bought (on GOG.com) and finished Odallus: The Dark Call yesterday. Great little game, took me 4h30 to finish while taking my time to complete it 100%. Strongly inspired by old school Castlevania games and a few other famous NES titles, with a few touches of Berserk inspiration in the general themes. Highly recommended!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty sure I saw a human turn into an apostle in the trailer, along with a Skull Knight allusion. :SK:

I will definitely pick that up when it's on sale for a bit less. :daiba:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BErWAbLuqHc

Dark Dreams Don't Die, the new game from Swery65, the creator of Deadly Premonition (the second greatest game ever made, behind the original Deus Ex), which finally got a PC port!

Aazealh said:
Bought (on GOG.com) and finished Odallus: The Dark Call yesterday. Great little game, took me 4h30 to finish while taking my time to complete it 100%. Strongly inspired by old school Castlevania games and a few other famous NES titles, with a few touches of Berserk inspiration in the general themes. Highly recommended!

Looks dope as hell! I'm going to get this. Thanks for posting Aaz.

I recently finished Arkham Knight on ps4. Very fun, even with the weaker last act of the game. Very similar to the last 3 (obviously) and the batmobile brought me back to the enjoyment of twisted metal. I mean 5th grade ps1 twisted metal. :guts:

Now back to the witcher 3. No real complaints about this one. So damn big. For myself, they have fixed every annoying thing I didn't enjoy about the witcher 2.

Game on.

Top Bottom