What Are You Playing?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
GiantSword Mufasa said:
Omg I was reading this in my office at work and when I saw that pic and read that I laughed so loud half my office stopped and looked at me like I was a crazy person! Well played!

VICTORY ACHIEVED

Tabris said:
Out of curiosity, did you end up fighting Kalameet in the Artorias of the Abyss expansion? Out of all I played in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 so far, he is literally the only boss to piss me off enough to quit before successfully beating him. I hated that bastard so much but it was immensely satisfying beating him.

I did last night in the wee hours of the morning! I had almost forgotten about him ("didn't a dragon give me the side-eye and fly off in Royal Wood?"), he and Priscilla were my last loose ends and I finished her sorry ass off yesterday afternoon. He was pretty gnarly and intimidating too, I managed to get him down past halfway my first try giving it maximum effort, but lost concentration from the mental fatigue of reacting to all his moves for the first time. It took at least a half dozen more tries (and a "break to rest my eyes... ARRRRRGH!" =) from there, including one where I got nailed without even engaging him just trying to retrieve my souls (that was a low point). The fucking psionic grab/lift thing blew my mind when I first saw it, and a few times thereafter honestly, because it was so unlike anything else I'd seen in the game or even the series. Very cool, and it also took me a while to notice the lingering effect it leaves on you as I got one-shotted a couple times because of it. Once I even tried going in there and fighting him with my +5 Darkmoon bow and the grass shield (which is the strategy I used to beat the Santuary Guardian) but it was an immediate failure given his much greater power and range/speed. In the end it was a battle of attrition with the Black Knight Halberd and Stone Greatshield (my favorites) carrying me through. Anyway, it was quite satisfying, not least of which because a proper Ancient Dragon fight was a fitting farewell to DS1, and because he literally took me down to my last little bit of life and made me quite nervous at the end. ^_^;

Tabris said:
I still have to beat the last boss of Dark Souls. For some reason I got to him and just stopped caring about the game.

Yeah, I felt that way too because I hated that fight! I still think it's the one that haunts me most; I don't even feel like I really won because I basically just ran around a pillar and R2 poked with my Claymore to victory. If I eventually get there on NG+ maybe I'll have finally learned to parry (I'm not too bad at it in DS3, but never bothered in 1). :griffnotevil:

^^

Priscilla made me feel terrible for killing her. She had such a gorgeous design and doesn't even attack. But I wanted her tail since I'm a dagger whore in these games and I didn't even end up with it. She was stealth the whole battle and I swore I attacked her tail enough to get it but nope. Anger!

Painted world also has from what I know, probably the best place to level. Those weird blobby shield spear dudes that surround the statue are crazy fast and easy to kill and there's a lot of them. Just going back and forth between the bonfire and killing them is crazy efficient and fast.

As for Kalameet, it took me about 6 tries to get that asshole down. The only thing that drove me insane is his fire breath from the sky. It was so damn cheap and infuriating. I just eventually found a strategy that balanced stamina regen enough with strong armor and stuck constantly on one side of him to whittle his health down. When I killed him I still has like 12 flasks, which surprised the hell out of me since every try before it was a total struggle and I'd usually get him down to about 1/4 health. Can't say I miss that bastard after killing him.

As for what I'm playing now, I finished Tomb Raider and loved the fucking hell out of it. Though it did get a tad tiresome by the end.

I started playing Persona 3 and this game is really addictive and fun. And constantly demanding, jesus christ hah.

Playing the Ni-Oh beta. Spent three hours getting destroyed before I killed the first boss. But it was worth it. :guts: (For anyone interested, the beta will be there until September 6th. If you complete it, you get exclusive items when the final version releases)

Also, started Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. Only finished the introductory mission, but it looks promising.

Lawliet said:
Playing the Ni-Oh beta. Spent three hours getting destroyed before I killed the first boss. But it was worth it. :guts: (For anyone interested, the beta will be there until September 6th. If you complete it, you get exclusive items when the final version releases)

I also enjoyed this, though I'm a sucker for the souls series much like the knock offs from the original diablo. Hopefully the fun lasts as long as most of the beta.

Team ninjas last great game to me was Ninja Gaiden and I can confidently dub this Ninja Souls. One thing besides the setting and stance options available that I really found unique was the item discovery dialogue. Didn't have any idea what was said but the fact looting a dead corpse brought about hearing a short story behind the body felt like a very cool idea.

I just finished Doom and enjoyed the experience much more than 3, even though I found the repetive waves of enemies tiresome by the last few acts.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Lawliet said:
Also, started Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. Only finished the introductory mission, but it looks promising.

Playing it as well, also at the beginning. So far so good, it's got what I expect from a DX game.

Feeblecursedone

"This hammer has broken Daemons on my anvil, Elf.
I'll be getting mine in October. First Deus ex game for me. As a sucker for sci-fi stealth/espionage, I have no idea why haven't I bought the first one.

Playing the Ni-Oh beta

Feels like Onimusha to rather than Dark Souls ( although there are clear influences ) but I cannot stand the level/enemy design for the life of me. Seems rather bland and they even got a map <.<

Not overly happy about main character being influenced by a historical figure if it means limiting your character creation/customization. Not a fan of rpgs where characters are pre-determined.

Deus Ex, finished the story actually, i skipped so many things though. There are plenty of side quests and exploration that i didn't end up doing during this play-through because i really wanted to see how the story unfolds. Even though i skipped a lot i still managed to clock in about 31 hours which is a good sign of how much content is in the game. going to start NG+ tonight and looking forward to the next game :carcus:

Oburi

All praise Grail
I can't wait to get Deus Ex. Human Revolution was so much fun. I could play stealth for hours on end in that game.

Lawliet said:
Playing the Ni-Oh beta. Spent three hours getting destroyed before I killed the first boss. But it was worth it. :guts: (For anyone interested, the beta will be there until September 6th. If you complete it, you get exclusive items when the final version releases.

I hadn't heard of that game before, but after reading up on it I'm downloading it. I used to be a HUGE Onimusha fanboy so this game's setting/world is right up my alley. I can't wait to start playing it.

Who knows? Maybe this'll keep me occupied until a new Onimusha comes out. Or maybe this'll get me interested in the Souls games.

Rupert Sinclair said:
Wait what? You weren't already? :???:

Indeed. I am an unending source of embarrassment for my family. :ashamedazan:

I wasn't a big fan of how the first game's creators chose to tell the story so the series never sunk its claws into me. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's quality-wise bad or anything. It just didn't tickle my baby gherkin.

Plus I knew you guys would feel bad when I effortlessly beat the three games without ever dying. :troll:

Feeblecursedone

Oburi said:
I can't wait to get Deus Ex. Human Revolution was so much fun. I could play stealth for hours on end in that game.

I pretty much play stealth in all rpg's lol. Especially in Bethesda's games. Op :D

Feeblecursedone

I think we could open a thread where we can discuss current gaming industry and hot topics a bit more easier than here, since we tend to go off-topic a lot ( as I'm about to do )

With that said, I've tried out Ni-oh beta and my impressions are mixed. The gameplay itself is fun but rather confusing at times ( 3 stances, mixing them and what not ) and the whole gameplay aspect feels like devs are forcing you to play the way they want it, and not the way you want it. Second, the controls are rather mixed as well. Square being light attack and triangle being heavy attack is a standard, but once you realise your R1 is used for Ki replenishment as well as for changing stances things can get really confusing. Albeit I admit I like the fact each stance has its own purpose ( High being most damaging, Mid being middles, and low being the fastest but also lowest on damage ) From what I see, people who can switch btw stances in mid combat really fast are gonna shine in this game, especially pvp.

Can't speak much about level design since I've seen only stage, a coastal village at night with typical japanese buildings, so nothing special. Enemy design is rather bland for my tastes, but appropriate for the setting. When it comes to the challenge the difficulty feels exactly like it felt in 2009 when I got Demon Souls and played it for first time, difference being enemies in this game inflict a lot more damage ( axe guys kill you in two strikes ) but that also could be just the alpha version, so who knows.

There's a neat feature of being able to fight Revenants ( basically angry spirits of dead players ) with the chance of getting a yellow/blue/purple/etc gear. And I have to say, good god, most of these mofos feel harder than half of Bosses in Dark Souls. They're fast, hyper aggressive, hit hard and can stun/stagger you easily. Literally one slip up and you're gone. The ones with dual katanas are the worst, especially in low stance.

As for the weapons, so far I've got a single katana, dual katanas ( different weapons ) , an axe, a bow, a hammer and a spear. Havent tried the axe or the hammer but the spear is quite good due to reach advantage, albeit i mainly stuck to dual katana + bow. Arrows destroy shit in this game compared to Souls. If you can find an enemy's weak spot you can literally one shot them. The limitation of the bow is the fact you only get limited arrows ( I had around 12 ) so I imagine utilizing it wisely is going to be very important. Haven't found the muskette yet Apparently there's also ninjutsu and you can be a ninja type of a character as well. Now how cool is that? :ubik:

There's more to say but I think I'll leave it at that for now.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Feeblecursedone said:
I think we could open a thread where we can discuss current gaming industry and hot topics a bit more easier than here, since we tend to go off-topic a lot ( as I'm about to do )

Well just go ahead mate, no one's stopping you.

Spent since Nov. 2015 to till this year I more or less hit all the big releases. Fallout 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid V, Dark Souls 3.

Dark Souls III I love to hate as always. Fantastically difficult game that delievers. I raged quit and broke two controllers. I love the art direction, I LOVED the Dancing Sword boss the most. The game finale fight I really enjoyed, I loved its
castle in ruins setting.
I loved all the nods to Berserk once again.

Fallout 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider, MGSV I really did enjoy all of them. But sadly for one reason or another they didn't exceed expectations. I really thought Rise of the Tomb Raider could of had a much better story that was less predictable, but the game still plays solid. I did find it very fun, but possibly allows you to be too over powered. It didn't have the survival feel of the first, and didn't feel like a natural evolution of the first game.

Fallout 4, I loved, but as big as the game was, it feels empty as many of the side quest seem to have very short story-lines. Before I knew it I'd done a very big chunk of the available story-lines in a rather short span of time. I was however very happy with the Far Harbor DLC.

MGSV is my favorite game play wise. The game is so fun to play, I wish Kojima and Konami could of supported this game further before having a falling out. The story wasn't quite to my liking, and it doesn't feel like finished game story-wise. It's sad knowing this is the last word Kojima will have to say for the series. The game somewhat overall didn't feel necessary as the end result didn't really tie up any lose ends, rather adding a whole mess of new knots to work through. Shame.

I played through LIFE IS STRANGE which was a blind buy and ended up being one of my favorite games of all time. Highly recommend it.

I played more hours of Diablo 3 this year past year than any game in my life. I played it with my 3 brothers and exceeded well over 1000+ hours. New respect for Blizzard for taking a unplayable game at launch and making it into a worthy addition to the series patch by patch. Its never too late to try and make things right.

Just tonight I bought the (4x)re-release of Resident Evil 4 this time for the PS4. Just in time for fall season to roll in. Its been about 2 full years, I think I'm ready to go through it again. Looking forward to it.

I played a bunch of Quake this weekend.

Death May Die said:
The game somewhat overall didn't feel necessary as the end result didn't really tie up any lose ends, rather adding a whole mess of new knots to work through. Shame.

Personally I'm glad he had time to add some nanomachines kind of thing into the plot to explain his big titty sniper just so we'd be forever ashamed of our words and deeds. He kept his integrity as an artist to the end, despite Konami's tyranny. :sad:

I really liked Ground Zeroes.

Every year around September 1st, I start focusing a lot more on horror games. So to bridge the gap, I decided to replay Resident Evil 4 on PC. I haven't played it since it was brand new, so it's been a while. I think I'm enjoying it a lot more this time around. When I was younger, I had fun with the gameplay, but hated the story. I also became somewhat bitter towards the series when it became more action orientated.

Still playing Persona 3 and loving it a lot more as it goes on and i understand how it works a lot better.

And still need to finish the last boss in Dark Souls 1 sigh. Haven't really tried since the night I first fought him. He'll be a great refresher to kill since I plan on playing Bloodborne right after.

Death May Die said:
I played through LIFE IS STRANGE which was a blind buy and ended up being one of my favorite games of all time. Highly recommend it.

I basically did that as well. I only knew of the hype. Game was completely incredible and left me in ruins thinking about it for quite a while after. Definitely a lot more than it appears to be. Beautiful, beautiful game.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I've become bored with Final Fantasy XIII, so I'm venturing on to the Resident Evil series (which I've never played), starting with the first Resident Evil. The PSN only has the Greatest Hits version of the game (which I've heard has a terrible soundtrack), so I purchased a physical copy of the Director's Cut. I just hope it runs well on my PS3.

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
Just bought the new Attack on Titan game for PS4. Holy crap this game is fun.

Repetitive, yes, but I just came here to fly around towns with the omnidirectional gear, slashing Titan's limbs off till the cows come home. They did a great job. :ubik:

Rhombaad said:
I've become bored with Final Fantasy XIII, so I'm venturing on to the Resident Evil series (which I've never played), starting with the first Resident Evil. The PSN only has the Greatest Hits version of the game (which I've heard has a terrible soundtrack), so I purchased a physical copy of the Director's Cut. I just hope it runs well on my PS3.

I highly recommend the remastered version. I'm not 100% sure it's on ps3, but it is essentially the same game, just prettier in every way. Also just a touch up of the remake on gamecube. Sense any recycling? Resident Evil 2 is getting a facelift as well fairly soon. Resident evil 4 is again, for the ? Time being re released, but now on the ps4. As if the gamecube, to ps2, to wii, to pc wasn't enough. Those old polygons honestly give me motion sickness anymore. :azan:

I myself am watching my wife play darksiders 2: remastered. This entire generation is just ripe with unoriginal rehashes. In a bit of of a lull, gaming wise all I have left is the blood and wine dlc on the witcher 3. Not sure where to go. Maybe some classics. Got this modded xbox with 18k games and it truly is a joy. Getting the arcade controls and then finish boxing this old cab up and custom decals are all that's left.

Rhombaad said:

It's nice you're giving the orginals a shot, I would suggest keeping a open mind given how the games are in a sense dated. I think if you can accept the tank like controls, they hold up thanks to rather solid story and pacing. As Salem mentioned, it possible give the remastered versions a shot, because they're very decent in their own right. Again, as you probably know Resident Evil 4 is a phenomenal highlight of the series, though it takes the series in a new direction.

Feeblecursedone

Done with Nioh beta, trying Paragon since its Free-to-play, playing Fallout 4 Nuka World and getting Deus ex soon. With the come of Autumn, gaming returns in full force.

I played more hours of Diablo 3 this year past year than any game in my life. I played it with my 3 brothers and exceeded well over 1000+ hours. New respect for Blizzard for taking a unplayable game at launch and making it into a worthy addition to the series patch by patch. Its never too late to try and make things right.

Wish I could agree, but I can't. I've been playing GrimDawn and I can say i find it a lot more superior to Diablo 3 when it comes to storytelling, viable builds and what not.

However, I do look forward to Diablo 4 and hoping they give us the Necromancer back.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Salem said:
I highly recommend the remastered version. I'm not 100% sure it's on ps3, but it is essentially the same game, just prettier in every way.

I plan on playing the remastered version eventually, but I want to play the original before I do.

@ Death May Die
Graphics from the 90s have never been a problem for me (after all, I've been playing video games since the 80s); they just add to the flavor. I don't mind the simplified controls, either. It'll be a nice change of pace from the more modern games I've been playing.

Top Bottom