What Are You Playing?

I have a question for the diablo 3 fans. I love diablo 1 and 2 soooooo much. I played 3 twice but don't think I'll ever play it again. My main issue is the game is far too easy. I literally died one time my second playthrough on hard and even if you do die, the penalty feels like you're in god mode from the get go. You pop back up right where you left off. I literally button mashed the entire second game and there is just no sense of urgency like many games and the first 2. Am I missing something?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
I played more hours of Diablo 3 this year past year than any game in my life. I played it with my 3 brothers and exceeded well over 1000+ hours. New respect for Blizzard for taking a unplayable game at launch and making it into a worthy addition to the series patch by patch. Its never too late to try and make things right.

I played D3 at launch with Griffith, probably 50h or so. I didn't really enjoy myself, for obvious reasons. I never invested in the expansion. Is "vanilla" D3 worthwhile to revisit, with all the recent patches, or do you think the expansion is necessary to have the best experience?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Salem said:
I have a question for the diablo 3 fans.

You called? :badbone:

Salem said:
I love diablo 1 and 2 soooooo much. I played 3 twice but don't think I'll ever play it again. My main issue is the game is far too easy. I literally died one time my second playthrough on hard and even if you do die, the penalty feels like you're in god mode from the get go. You pop back up right where you left off. I literally button mashed the entire second game and there is just no sense of urgency like many games and the first 2. Am I missing something?

Well, it's a different game from before, though actually I'd say it's arguably easier from the broken "Inferno" days, but much more balanced. Back then it was the end game that was incredibly difficult, like practically impossible on max difficulty/monster power without investing majorly in the Auction House or using some crazy game-breaking perma-Wrath of the Berserk/Whirlwind build and even then it was still a grind. Now, builds like that are the norm, and difficulty is completely customizable, totally separate from campaign progress, and it's quite a bit of fun, especially on multiplayer (and the difficulty/fun factor isn't judged on survival, but melting mobs on the highest difficulty you can =). Also, you don't have to replay the boring campaign 4 times to get where you need to be, and can abandon the campaign altogether and just jump around more open world style.

Walter said:
I played D3 at launch with Griffith, probably 50h or so. I didn't really enjoy myself, for obvious reasons. I never invested in the expansion. Is "vanilla" D3 worthwhile to revisit, with all the recent patches, or do you think the expansion is necessary to have the best experience?

I can't speak to the former, but I believe the latter is probably true. They basically tweaked it to remove all the excess tedium, besides the inherent tedium of the loot/upgrade/repeat cycle that essentially is the game, to make it as fun and addictive as possible so you can just loot and level forever (basically it puts the focus on and maximizes the inherent fun of that, as it should be). I took the opportunity to step away a few patches ago though (you basically need to start over every time build-wise, even if you keep your character; I still primary my Barb I played with you, Wally =); it's just too fucking addictive and ultimately a waste of time as we all know. When you're obsessively thinking about your next opportunity to play all day and not sleeping at night to get that next level in a multiplayer rift, it's time to step away. Anyway, in the short term or the moment I highly recommend it, lots of highly addictive fun, but since you're just going to inevitably arrive at the same place as me anyway, if you're lucky, only minus so many hours of your life, you might just want to keep away while you're ahead. :ganishka:

On that note, I've put about 466 hours into the Dark Souls series now (I hope Walter is belatedly proud =) and I'm BORED of it; I still have the final DLC boss and a few optionals to take care of in DS2, but I don't even want to turn it on right now. Also, I've got quite a stockpile of purportedly quality titles backed up, there's still Doom 2016 to continue, MGS5, GTAV, Alien Isolation, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Wolfenstein: The New Blood, Shadow of Morder, Deus Ex: HR, even old ass Assassin's Creed 2... I don't know, any recommendations or must-plays out of that group?

Walter said:

I definitely think that the expansion and beyond offers a great set of new challenges to the game for a legit character, and has vastly improved and balanced the overall game. The game is most addicting in my opinion when matching up different characters and new armor sets and experimenting. Various added feature adds a vast amount of new experimenting challenges, I really can't even begin to tell you how far down the rabbit hole can go with team building. The story hasn't changed much, but the PS4, XboxOne, PC will through 3-4 times more enemies on screen than on its initial release. There is just something so satisfying about laying waste to a screen chalked full of the best hell has to offer. I think its a lot more like D2 in a lot of ways, but they definitely found a niche with what makes the game work. The greater rifts will offer extreme challenges of difficulty, as it sores the Torment Lv. well past 12. (I believe 150)

Griffith said:
, there's still Doom 2016 to continue, MGS5, GTAV, Alien Isolation, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Wolfenstein: The New Blood, Shadow of Morder, Deus Ex: HR, even old ass Assassin's Creed 2... I don't know, any recommendations or must-plays out of that group?
You know, i still haven't finished doom 2016 even tho im very close, (i regained the crucible) and i know i'm not halfway done with rise of the tomb raider. but in rise of the tomb raider i hunt for everything so lol. i suggest doom. i think its quite good personally, regardless of those who think its combat is "repetitive". But i play on the hardest difficulty always so that could be the reason I think its good.

I really enjoyed doom and had the feeling of repetitive the last half of the game. Didn't bother me. That game is just plain metal. :guts:

Griffith, I can't speak of deus ex or Alien, but the others were pretty great. Now, MGS5 was not my cup of tea. I tried to enjoy it, but some of the gameplay mechanics involved, plus the very open end (or lack there of) made me question the hype quite a bit. I'm not the biggest MGS fan, but I felt the whole experience lacking. The others were fantastic, even that old ass game AC2. :)

If you beat me to Alien, let me know your thoughts. That whole survival genre is lost upon my group of friends.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
On that note, I've put about 466 hours into the Dark Souls series now (I hope Walter is belatedly proud =) and I'm BORED of it; I still have the final DLC boss and a few optionals to take care of in DS2, but I don't even want to turn it on right now.

Awww, I am proud! It's an amazing game series! I've got 500h in DS1 alone, and I don't regret any of it.

Also, I've got quite a stockpile of purportedly quality titles backed up, there's still Doom 2016 to continue, MGS5, GTAV, Alien Isolation, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Wolfenstein: The New Blood, Shadow of Morder, Deus Ex: HR, even old ass Assassin's Creed 2... I don't know, any recommendations or must-plays out of that group?

Doom is really fucking good. Hope your PC is decent enough to run it, because it looks and feels gorgeous.

Walter said:
Awww, I am proud! It's an amazing game series! I've got 500h in DS1 alone, and I don't regret any of it.

Doom is really fucking good. Hope your PC is decent enough to run it, because it looks and feels gorgeous.

I remember long nights in the forbidden forest (PvP) in DS1. So many duels...

Griffith said:
On that note, I've put about 466 hours into the Dark Souls series now (I hope Walter is belatedly proud =) and I'm BORED of it; I still have the final DLC boss and a few optionals to take care of in DS2, but I don't even want to turn it on right now. Also, I've got quite a stockpile of purportedly quality titles backed up, there's still Doom 2016 to continue, MGS5, GTAV, Alien Isolation, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Wolfenstein: The New Blood, Shadow of Morder, Deus Ex: HR, even old ass Assassin's Creed 2... I don't know, any recommendations or must-plays out of that group?

I recommend MGS5, it plays really well. Don't let the story fractures scare you away.

Walter said:
Y'know, i may be new here but how often do you curse Walter, because i believe this may be the first time since i joined i've seen you curse.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gamehowitzer said:
Y'know, i may be new here but how often do you curse Walter, because i believe this may be the first time since i joined i've seen you curse.

Oh, I curse all the time. I've got a real fucking problem -- particularly with my 3 year old son.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Griffith said:
Also, I've got quite a stockpile of purportedly quality titles backed up, there's still Doom 2016 to continue, MGS5, GTAV, Alien Isolation, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Wolfenstein: The New Blood, Shadow of Morder, Deus Ex: HR, even old ass Assassin's Creed 2... I don't know, any recommendations or must-plays out of that group?

Here's what you do. Play Deus Ex: HR immediately because that game was awesome and then you can jump into the new Deus Ex: MD with all of us kids playing that right now :guts: After that, you can skip Alien Isolation and Wolfenstein because even though they are solid titles (for the most part) after playing something like Deus Ex or new Doom, they'll seem really bland. And just forget Shadow of Mordor. Don't waste your time on that. But if must play it, play for an hour and then just imagine that for another 49 hours. Save yourself time.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:

I bolded those I find superior and befitting you. Assassin's Creed 2, Brotherhood and Revelations are also well worth playing through if you've enjoyed the first one even a little bit. I liked their story arc very much. It only goes downhill after that. The peak of the series is probably a tie between AC2 and Brotherhood.

Titan Quest Remastered, picked it up on sale on Steam for $5. I played this game about 10 years ago and its a Diablo clone, its pretty fun, and I can't complain for $5.

I'll have to pick up the Titan Quest Remastered at some point since I never completed the first version.
Few weeks ago I've finished the Metroid 2 remake and NightCry, and I liked both.
Right now I'm playing few games on PC: CASE: Animatronics, Inside (excellent !), Braid, Emily Wants to Play (I would love to try it on VR)...

Looking forward to Dragon Quest VII 3DS on next week and... The Last Guardian in October.

Started playing Silent Hill 3 with my friend. We quit last time right when things get serious.

I cannot wait to watch him go through the absolute mindfuck that is to come. His poor, poor brain.

XionHorsey

Hi! Hi!
Borderlands 2. Every time I see a challenge run, I want to play Borderlands again. I found a couple Legendary only runs. I'd like to try some kind of challenge run someday. I'm thinking Pistol only or Tediore allegiance.

Been playing The King of Fighters XIV with a friend and so far it's decent. I'm not a 100% on board with the game play or the speed of it but I appreciate the inclusion of Geese Howard. Still no sign of good ol Heidern but ... some of those new characters are either ridiculous or good in a dangerous kinda way.

So i'm on the last chapter in berserk ps2, the berserk armor fight is really difficult. But i love it. I just hate that there's no save point between fighting slan and grunbeld :/

I had a lot of fun with the Nioh beta. They weren't very creative when it came to the monsters, but the game was pretty solid overall. I just wish they had given us a bit more of the game's story. I felt like there wasn't enough to sink its hooks into me.

PS Plus is offering two games for free right now: Journey and Lords of the Fallen. I hadn't heard of either one of them. Journey was fucking amazing. And Lords of the Fallen is a heavily flawed Dark Souls clone. I'm enjoying LotF though. The writing/world building is absolutely terrible and pretty unoriginal, but there are elements I really like. The main character, for example.

Top Bottom