What Are You Playing?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I beat Dragon Quest II over the weekend and started playing Dragon Quest IV. I'm on a roll! :badbone:

I have to say, I'm having more fun playing these games than I have in a long time.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
I beat Dragon Quest II over the weekend and started playing Dragon Quest IV. I'm on a roll! :badbone:

I have to say, I'm having more fun playing these games than I have in a long time.

DQ4 is my favorite, easily. I'd say it's the only one I've truly enjoyed, and I've played through 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, (most of) 7 and 9.

I've been playing DQVII on my 3ds :guts: My only complaint is the name changes they made from the non-localized version on the ps1 (i actually played the shit out of that game while i was in middle-school) They changed melvin gods warrior, to Mervin. They engrished his name, and then Gabo the wolf boy? Oh they named him Ruff. RUFF!!! Now idk how thats different from what they had on the japanese version but come on RUFF!? anyways. Just cleared the town that had the world tree "Yggdrasil" and am currently at the art town in the past.

Walter said:
DQ4 is my favorite, easily. I'd say it's the only one I've truly enjoyed, and I've played through 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, (most of) 7 and 9.
And the (most of) part of DQ7 is why they made changes to the temple where you save the past and made fragments easier to find by 1. adding a proximity tracker for fragments, 2. making them in stupidly wide open places sometimes and 3. i think they cut out the stories of some of the towns. like the 1st town where everyone is turned to stone. not to be mistaken with the 1st town.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:

I'm loving it so far. Right now, I'm trying to build up some cash for Torneko in Chapter 3. :badbone:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
I'm loving it so far. Right now, I'm trying to build up some cash for Torneko in Chapter 3. :badbone:

I loved that they made you play as a merchant in that game. Such a refreshing change of pace from most JRPGs of that era.

Instead of how the game starts,with the stoic, powerful knight Ragnar, with Torneko, it's:

tnd2art2.jpg

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
After some ebbs and flows in my enthusiasm playing MGS5, for over 50 hours now though tellingly, I think I'm starting to resign myself to the fact that maybe this IS the best MGS game by sheer sum of its parts. Like, all the weird open world stuff that seemed unnecessary to my perception of an MGS game is starting to make me love it now that I know how it all works. Like, you can forget the missions and shit and just silently take over an airport full of guards without killing them, extract them all, steal all their vehicles and resources, and have a damn good time. Or even just a guard post, before hopping in their jeep and heading to the next one. It's like when you'd just do police chases in GTA except instead of just riding til you die there's actually a benefit to doing it and well (and you can actually beat the house with the right equipment, even against an aerial gunship =).

Plus, the endless, though meaningful, upgrades, and I haven't touched Online or FOB stuff, which I'll explore after I'm done with the single player. There was a while yesterday, stalking around an African jungle at night, that I had the same feeling I get playing Dark Souls but the combat is avoiding combat altogether (though that's fun too). When I first started I was pretty clumsy but still got through by force, but now that I know what I'm doing and have the equipment (silenced tranq sniper rifle, head shot =) to stealthily dominate it's really a blast. Anyway, maybe it'll all abruptly come crashing down after I finish the last mission, but right now I'm having a helluva time sneaking around, clowning guards and pillaging their outposts, and, it at least feels like, I'm still scratching the surface with all the other shit there is to do and how it and my play affect each other. Lots of potential here still.

Edit: Yep, nope, just played the final "mission" and Kojima Kojimad it. =)

Started Deus Ex: Human Revolution. This is the first game I've played of the series. When I became curious about Deus Ex, I didn't think I would be able to appreciate the original at the time since it was already a decade old. Completely ran out of anything I'd been backlogged with and hopefully I'll enjoy this new universe.

For the consoles, these remasters that have been coming out have cut the newer games down a little and there isn't much coming out anytime soon that will have me playing two or three at once. Might be replaying some old favorites for the foreseeable future.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Griffith said:

That sucks. I was considering playing it when I eventually purchased a PS4.

Was it worse than MGS4? The last great MGS game I played was Snake Eater. After that, the series fell off for me.

Griffith said:

Sorry to hear it, I was hoping something would come up and you'd stop playing before that. :SK:

Rhombaad said:
Was it worse than MGS4? The last great MGS game I played was Snake Eater. After that, the series fell off for me.

I don't think it's worse than MGS4 because you can actually play it for a few hours with no interruption, but it does have the same commitment to try and explain every little thing in the series while adding insane shit that absolutely wrecks the continuity.

Personally, I subscribe to the baseless theory that the 3 MGS games were good because they were mostly written by this Fukushima guy right here.

Eluvei said:
I don't think it's worse than MGS4 because you can actually play it for a few hours with no interruption, but it does have the same commitment to try and explain every little thing in the series while adding insane shit that absolutely wrecks the continuity.

Personally, I subscribe to the baseless theory that the 3 MGS games were good because they were mostly written by this Fukushima guy right here.

Admittedly I haven't paid any attention to the nuts and bolts of the MGS series, but wasn't the rumor back in the day that Kojima meant for the series to end after Sons of Liberty but Konami made him make Snake Eater? I could've sworn it seemed like Kojima would go through a cycle of saying he was done before pushing out another game post-2. I always assumed that was the cause of the series' decline.

Griffith

Rhombaad said:
That sucks. I was considering playing it when I eventually purchased a PS4.

Oh, it's the antithesis of MGS4 in the ways that count most (they fixed what was wrong with the series' recipe, bad pacing/storytelling, by serving it on the side), and I still heartily recommend it. It's all about the gameplay, which is still a lot of fun, and building your own legend; the story is largely optional/disposable, but that's at least somewhat by design this time, and it's really no worse material than typical MGS anyway. Actually, I quite like most of plot points even if they're not all executed with aplomb.

Also, while I unfortunately haven't completed Peace Walker yet (hey Konami, why don't you exploit your license by sloppily porting the MGS series to PC?) I've heard it's supposed to be the closest thing to Snake Eater since.

Eluvei said:
Sorry to hear it, I was hoping something would come up and you'd stop playing before that. :SK:
Eluvei said:

Don't be sorry, despite my initial shock and rejection, I'm actually firmly in the "pro" column on the ending
[I must have contracted the Kojima BS parasite]
! I really love the gameplay itself, which goes a long way, so despite that the ending could be considered cheap and is definitely narratively insane from a traditional standpoint, though totally consistent with MGS (I mean, OF COURSE he'd do that at some point, right? =), it's also more interesting than if it'd just capped off the events of game in the straightforward manner which preceded it
(my fear was you imagined the whole thing or were still in a coma
. Mostly though, I appreciate the grander metaphorical gesture they were making as the true ending, and think it's literally a much better heel turn for Big Boss than anything else they provide in the game
(putting his own men out of their misery to save the rest of humanity... for shame?)
, and a fitting, though likely unintended, farewell from Kojima to boot. Everyone rides off into the sunset, but it's not a typical happy ending and effectively changes the way I perceive the game, the series, and how I play it
(it even makes Hayter's absence symbolically more sensible, like The Sorrow explaining that whole Liquid Ocelot arm thing in MGS3 before they undid it in 4). It's a simple, stupid twist on its face, but it's better than most of the reductive or incomprehensible philosphy the series tries to pass off as its core message, and it's actually on the one subject Kojima is most qualified weigh in on, the nature of video games. Plus, I actually like Venom Snake, a more convincing tragic hero than any of his namesakes, or "Ahab," the embodiment of fanatascism.
Anyway, as you can tell, I found a lot to like about it. *I* am Big Boss. :badbone:

The Ocelot and Kaz convo at the end even runs the gamut of expected fan reaction. =)

Eluvei said:

Eh, I'm always skeptical of giving anybody the George Lucas treatment and trying to take away their legacy just because it's difficult to rectify how creators can sometimes do such brilliant and stupid work, sometimes simultaneously. It doesn't make them frauds exploiting their more talented collaborators, and I don't want to minimize those contributions either, but is the overall MGS plot on its own something to be proud of anyway? In any case, I'm sure Kojima is at least as responsible as anybody else (save maybe the actual programmers!)

Aazealh said:
Metal Gear Solid 2 was not good.

Dude, it's a post-modern video game classic, but nobody knew because they were so miserable playing it! Yeah, as revelatory as the mechanics were and as much as I appreciate the idea of it when I'm not playing it, you can't win for losing, and when I do play MGS2 I fucking hate it. MGS5 also manages to accomplish much of the same without completely wasting your time frustrating and alienating you. You might be disappointed in the end, but that's better than being disappointed for 4/5ths of the game.

Skeleton said:
Admittedly I haven't paid any attention to the nuts and bolts of the MGS series, but wasn't the rumor back in the day that Kojima meant for the series to end after Sons of Liberty but Konami made him make Snake Eater? I could've sworn it seemed like Kojima would go through a cycle of saying he was done before pushing out another game post-2. I always assumed that was the cause of the series' decline.

Well, it didn't decline after 2 though... Snake Eater is the consensus best in the series, Peace Walker is supposed to be a worthy successor, and MGS5 is debatably a masterpiece in its own right. MGS4 is the clear nadir to me; if that's the one he did to satisfy all the fan's demands it's no wonder he thinks we're the villain. Anyway, maybe Kojima DID mean to end it this way with fans and Konami alike, after all, if things don't end poorly maybe they never end (p.s. I don't really believe it was a plan, but maybe ultimately how it was destined to go down). Maybe he'll continue the series without Konani Silent Hills/Death Stranding style.

Griffith said:
Well, it didn't decline after 2 though... Snake Eater is the consensus best in the series, Peace Walker is supposed to be a worthy successor, and MGS5 is debatably a masterpiece in its own right. MGS4 is the clear nadir to me; if that's the one he did to satisfy all the fan's demands it's no wonder he thinks we're the villain. Anyway, maybe Kojima DID mean to end it this way with fans and Konami alike, after all, if things don't end poorly maybe they never end (p.s. I don't really believe it was a plan, but maybe ultimately how it was destined to go down). Maybe he'll continue the series without Konani Silent Hills/Death Stranding style.

I apologize. The way I wrote my post blows. I meant to say the rumor was that Kojima meant for 2 to be the end of the MGS series, and that's why I assumed the later games (specifically post-Snake Eater and even more specifically 4) declined in quality.

To be fair, my view of the series' decline is entirely on me and not the series itself though. I think 4 left such a bad taste in my mouth that I never gave the post-4 games a real chance. It sounds like Peace Walker might be right up my alley though.

Anyways, right now I'm playing Star Wars Battlefront. They just released their new DLC which is based on Rogue One. Playing as a
beachtrooper on Scarif
is a blast. It's like playing a Star Wars game in the Pirates of the Caribbean world. (I smell crossover potential! :troll:) There's also a bit of a 'Nam feel when you get to be a gunner in the new
U Wing
. Ben Mendelsohn's character's weapon is really badass too. It's essentially the SW version of a
sixshooter.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Aazealh said:
Metal Gear Solid 2 was not good.

I'm glad someone else agrees. I played through it when it first came out, but it's still the only MGS game I haven't replayed. I tried to, but I got so ungodly bored within the first few minutes I just gave up.

Griffith

Skeleton said:
I apologize. The way I wrote my post blows. I meant to say the rumor was that Kojima meant for 2 to be the end of the MGS series, and that's why I assumed the later games (specifically post-Snake Eater and even more specifically 4) declined in quality.

To be fair, my view of the series' decline is entirely on me and not the series itself though. I think 4 left such a bad taste in my mouth that I never gave the post-4 games a real chance. It sounds like Peace Walker might be right up my alley though.

I felt the same way after 4, it seemed like such a definitive attempt at an ending but was just such a disjointed mess. It was certainly a bad last impression. After that a funny thing seemed to happen though. I'm guessing the reason Peace Walker turned out much better was because there wasn't really the same demand for Kojima to come back to the series to make a psp game. I think his interest and passion for doing it was genuinely rekindled for the project, perhaps by the potential of portable ops, and you can see how that and everything else in the series' past (VR missions, Snake Tales, etc) was incorporated into MGSV.

Johnstantine said:
I'm glad someone else agrees. I played through it when it first came out, but it's still the only MGS game I haven't replayed. I tried to, but I got so ungodly bored within the first few minutes I just gave up.

In its defense, the story elements aside, it might still be the biggest leap forward in the series game-wise. The graphics and, especially, gameplay are still impressive to this day. Even playing MGS5 now sometimes just seems like an update on the original 2 engine (the tanker mission alone is still fantastic) Also, it's the hardest, the AI is relentless, they'll see you from seemingly any distance, and once they know you're there it's like they'll never stop searching (and actually systematically look everywhere). Maybe that's just how i remember it, but everything since seems so easy (guys literally have to trip over you, whereas in that game they'll spot you 100 yards away in a thunder storm). Speaking of, be sure to take your medicine or your sneezes will give you away! :guts:

Aazealh said:
What I like about it most to tell you the truth is the world & story. Much like PoE, I find it a refreshingly novel take on the Fantasy genre, which is no easy feat.

I just took a look at the official website of Tyranny, and... wow, i'm amazed of how well they have have managed the Lore and the world. I also like the mystique and mysterious aura that shrouds the main antagonist Kyros :void:, there's not even a picture of him in the website, that just makes me want to play the game to see who he is.
I'm still playing PoE but as soon as i finish it i'll be all over this game without a doubt.

Ruhe Strom

'Moon Pie... what a time to be alive."
Desperate for a fresh experience, I bought Mortal Kombat XL the other week. My only play time with non-Smash fighting games is a couple of games with Cammy in SFIV, and heck if I didn't have a blast with MK. Not a clue what I was doing half the time, but it felt so great to sample such a different genre that I've never had a chance to properly explore. Then I went online and was totally, utterly pulverised. Needless to say I might stick to single player for a while. But I'd like to explore the genre much deeper, so any fighting game aficionados out there with some recommendations?

Also, if anyone's interested, my father used to work at Rare before (and after) they activated their behelit and joined Microsoft, so if there are any Rare fans out there, feel free to enquire about... stuff.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ruhe Strom said:
Also, if anyone's interested, my father used to work at Rare before (and after) they activated their Beherit and joined Microsoft, so if there are any Rare fans out there, feel free to enquire about... stuff.

Does he like GoldenEye or Perfect Dark better? Who's his favorite Battletoad? Did anyone ever actually find Conker funny?

Ruhe Strom

'Moon Pie... what a time to be alive."
Aazealh said:
Does he like GoldenEye or Perfect Dark better? Who's his favorite Battletoad? Did anyone ever actually find Conker funny?

He dislikes Pierce Brosnan's Bond movies, so prefers Perfect Dark as it was something they'd created themselves rather than an established property. He doesn't have a favourite Battletoad, but does have a soft spot for the Dark Queen (unsurprisingly). Conker appeals to a rather crass and lewd sense of British humour that the developers had (for example, my usually quiet and serious father cracks up at fart jokes), so they certainly found it funny. But it's understandable if the comedy didn't hit for a lot of players.

Been playing Salt and Sanctuary. It's very shameless in how it copies the mechanics and general style of Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne and applies them to a 2D format, but, uh...I was really hoping to see a game like that for a long time, and Ska Studios did it so well, that I can't complain. Or put down. And like its sources of inspiration, I really dig the minimalist storytelling, lore and world-building it has going on, though it could use a lot more work in trying to use its environments to say something. It feels like a good successor to Castlevania too, at least until Bloodstained comes along.

Also tried out the demo for Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun, a tactical stealth game in the same vein as Commandos, but set in a feudal Japanese setting that appeals to me more. Definitely looks like something worth checking out.

Ruhe Strom said:
Also, if anyone's interested, my father used to work at Rare before (and after) they activated their Beherit and joined Microsoft, so if there are any Rare fans out there, feel free to enquire about... stuff.

Interesting. Was anyone at the company able to legitimately beat Battletoads?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Ruhe Strom said:

Related to a previous question : was there actually any playtesting of the infamous jetski level, or was that just not a process back then?

What were his feelings about the recent Rare Replay -- seeing people respond well to those old games again?

Griffith

Ruhe Strom said:

Since Rare has made some of my favorite games, sure! What's the inside view of the Donkey Kong Country franchise beyond obvious pride in its success? The first and second ones I replay with a friend to this day, but we felt the third was a little different and wonder if something specific in the production related to that or if it was just regular changes with time/evolution. Same with DK64 though it was very different and obviously more like Mario64/Banjo Kazooie; so, what most inspired the transition from sidescrollers to 3D collecting as it were, was it internally embraced or something they felt they had to do because of where the industry was going? What was the collaborative relationship like with Nintendo and their characters (or more interestingly characters Rare created that then belonged to Nintendo) and what's he think of what Retro Studios did with the series? Also, what's his favorite game, and/or are there Rare games he doesn't like?

I think that's it. :griffnotevil:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ruhe Strom said:
He dislikes Pierce Brosnan's Bond movies, so prefers Perfect Dark as it was something they'd created themselves rather than an established property. He doesn't have a favourite Battletoad, but does have a soft spot for the Dark Queen (unsurprisingly). Conker appeals to a rather crass and lewd sense of British humour that the developers had (for example, my usually quiet and serious father cracks up at fart jokes), so they certainly found it funny. But it's understandable if the comedy didn't hit for a lot of players.

Thanks!

Top Bottom